Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

Christianity And Praising God With Music

Rate this topic

Hello,

I am currently studying praising God, which for Christians can include praising Him with singing and playing musical instruments. I thought I'd share this and if you have any questions or kind comments (including comments that voice disagreement yet written in a kind manner), please feel free to give them. Thanks.

The founder of Christianity is Jesus Christ, who taught his apostles and disciples and led them by example, promising the Holy Spirit to continue to lead them (John 14-16). His promise was fulfilled and his disciples, who walked and talked with him, were filled with the Holy Spirit and boldly told others about him, whereas before they received the Holy Spirit, they had been afraid for their lives (Acts 1 and 2). Continuing today, God fills sincere followers of Jesus Christ with His Holy Spirit, fulfilling the prophecy in Joel concerning God's Spirit: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/Joel3.html

Now, singing and/or praising God with musical instruments was nothing new to these Jewish believers. Recorded for posterity is a time when Jesus and his disciples sang together (Matthew 26:30; Mark 14:26). In Jewish culture, singing and making music for the Lord was (and for many, still is) an important part of praising God.

Moses, for example, sang to the Lord in thanksgiving when the children of Israel escaped slavery in Egypt:

Exodus 15 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+15&version=NIV

"Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:

“I will sing to the Lord,
    for he is highly exalted.

Both horse and driver
    he has hurled into the sea.

“The Lord is my strength and my defense[a];
    he has become my salvation.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father’s God, and I will exalt him."

David, the second Jewish king, was known for singing songs he formed out of his own feelings to God, as well as praising Him with musical instruments. Below are a few verses that show this artistic way he had of praising his Creator with his musical and artistic talent that God gave him! I boldened some of the verses below:

2 Samuel 22:1 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel+22&version=NIV

"David sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said:

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield[a] and the horn[b] of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

“I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
    and have been saved from my enemies."

2 Samuel 6 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Samuel+6&version=NIV

"David again brought together all the able young men of Israel—thirty thousand. He and all his men went to Baalah[a] in Judah to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the Name,[b] the name of the Lord Almighty, who is enthroned between the cherubim on the ark. They set the ark of God on a new cart and brought it from the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, sons of Abinadab, were guiding the new cart with the ark of God on it,[c] and Ahio was walking in front of it. 5 David and all Israel were celebrating with all their might before the Lord, with castanets,[d] harps, lyres, timbrels, sistrums and cymbals."

Under God's leading, David had Levi's descendants lead in serving God through singing and playing musical instruments. (Levi is one of the 12 sons of Jacob - Israel- and is the tribe that God chose to be priests for the children of Israel. King David, by the way, was of the tribe of Judah, not Levi.)

1 Chronicles 15 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles+15&version=NIV

"16 David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their fellow Levites as musicians to make a joyful sound with musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.

17 So the Levites appointed Heman son of Joel; from his relatives, Asaph son of Berekiah; and from their relatives the Merarites, Ethan son of Kushaiah; 18 and with them their relatives next in rank: Zechariah,[b] Jaaziel, Shemiramoth, Jehiel, Unni, Eliab, Benaiah, Maaseiah, Mattithiah, Eliphelehu, Mikneiah, Obed-Edom and Jeiel,[c] the gatekeepers.

19 The musicians Heman, Asaph and Ethan were to sound the bronze cymbals; 20 Zechariah, Jaaziel,[d] Shemiramoth, Jehiel, Unni, Eliab, Maaseiah and Benaiah were to play the lyres according to alamoth,[e] 21 and Mattithiah, Eliphelehu, Mikneiah, Obed-Edom, Jeiel and Azaziah were to play the harps, directing according to sheminith.[f] 22 Kenaniah the head Levite was in charge of the singing; that was his responsibility because he was skillful at it."

The Psalm are a collection of songs which have been recorded and kept. People still today praise God in song with these ancient songs! :) Many of these songs deeply touch the chords of people, as they relate to the emotions that come with life. One of my favorites is the very famous Psalm 23, by David. The following is a beautiful English rendition of this precious Psalm/song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfT_GRv154

Psalms is one of my most favorite books in the Bible. :) God teaches me more and more every time I read the Psalms, as well as the other books in the Bible. God faithfully preserves His Word throughout the centuries!!!

Just like God did so with King David, so God continues today to put songs of praise for Him in the mouths of His people! :)

Psalm 40 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+40&version=NIV

"I waited patiently for the Lord;

he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him."

(A hymn, by the way, is "a song or ode in praise or honor of God, a deity, a nation, etc." -

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hymn?s=t)

When Paul and Silas were being persecuted, they prayed and sang hymns to God. They are not the only followers of Jesus Christ who have sung hymns of praise to God, even when they are being persecuted for following him.

Acts 16 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+16&version=NIV

"22 The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten with rods. 23 After they had been severely flogged, they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully. 24 When he received these orders, he put them in the inner cell and fastened their feet in the stocks.

25 About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everyone’s chains came loose. 27 The jailer woke up, and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. 28 But Paul shouted, “Don’t harm yourself! We are all here!”

29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized. 34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household."

Paul (who used to be Saul - a persecuter of followers of Jesus) later encourages the followers of Jesus to do the following, which includes singing praises to God:

Ephesians 5 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+5&version=NIV

"3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[a] Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.

For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10 and find out what pleases the Lord. 11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light. 14 This is why it is said:

“Wake up, sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you.”

15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Colossians 3 (NIV)

"5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[b] You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Singing and playing musical instruments are simply using talents God has given people for His glory. Sadly, many people use the talents of singing and playing musical instruments in order to glorify sexual immorality, money, themselves, and so on but that does not please God. What does please God however is to use the gifts He has given us, which includes artistic and musical skill, for praising Him!!!

What do you think/believe and why? Thanks.

Peace and God bless you

Muslims use their voices and "sing" in a religious way to praise God. Have you heard of Nasheeds? However musical instruments should not be used and I think we can agree there is no talent in music industry nowdays, like you said everything is sexualized.

Hello Thoughtful,

Well, I like your post because I have indeed heard of Nasheeds. However, I disagree that musical instruments should not be used, as it is obvious in the Tanakh that musical instruments are simply tools that can be used to praise God. I also do not agree with you about there not being talent, because I know there is. God has given my Dad and 2 of my sisters talent in singing, as well as He has given my 2 of my Uncles and many of my cousins talent in both singing and in playing musical instruments. Sad to say, not all of my cousins use the talent God gave them for His glory, but some do.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs. Could you please reference why you do not believe musical instruments should be used? Thanks. I have to go now, but I hope to come back tomorrow.

Peace and God bless you.

(bismillah)

5. Hymnsinging

Perhaps the favorite Christian spiritual practice is hymnsinging. This is completely unacceptable in Islam, and even the tradition in some countries of using the ilaahi does not compare with it. The only point of contact is to be found in some exaggerated forms of Sufism, where music is used as a vehicle for producing ecstatic behaviour. Music has had several functions in Christianity. The earliest was in the propagation of dogmas about which various Christian groups disagreed. Music was thus a major vehicle in the struggle between Christian heresy and orthodoxy. One might expect that debate and reason would be preferable tools, but historically speaking this is not so. The second great function of music in Christianity was historically the expression of the Trinity, and this found its way not only into the words of the songs, but in the very musical structures themselves, which repeated tri-part patterns. The third great function of music in Christianity was the support of authoritarian institutions through emotionally overwhelming pageantry. Western music thus supported the European monarchies on one hand, and a religion with a monarchical character on the other. Both Calvinist and Lutheran reform utilized music for their own purposes against Rome. Anglican music has been of such a character to emphasize both the monarchical character of the church as well as its Englishness in contrast to Rome. Part of the break with Rome was bolstered by the incorporation of folk styles into Lutheran and Calvinistic worship, and this corresponded with the rejection of the pontifical authority. The intrusion of folk styles of music into Christian worship gave rise to an increasing play on the individual emotions and the individual spiritual experience. This has resulted in the varieties of religious music we find today. These are traditional styles in the more conservative churches, reflecting their role in the Reformation, and new styles in the more radical movements. Since the introduction of the Protestant hymn in England in the early 1700s, Anglo-Saxon Christianity has gone on a deeper and deeper progression toward utilizing the sensual emotions of the individual as a vehicle for spiritual experience. That is why there is little or no difference between the music styles found in non-conformist churches and those found in discos and nightclubs. Both appeal to the same emotions.

The justification for using such music is generally that the young people like it, and it attracts them to the church. This is the old argument used for the inclusion of Greek theatre music in Byzantine worship as early as the fifth century. That concession has resulted in the development of the Byzantine liturgical tradition. It is doubtful that the rock mass will produce anything as esthetically appealing as that, however, to say nothing of Baptist and Pentecostal crooning.

Music which appeals to the emotions of awe, although it may well have originally served to support an authoritarian church, may well have the same esthetic value as music intended to support the royal courts of Europe. An interest in such classical music may not be harmful. Research indicates that for the most part it fosters balanced physical functions in the body. The same research clearly suggests, however, that not only rock but other lighter styles which were developed and became popular in the twentieth century actually cause physical imbalances in bodily functions, such as increasing heart rate and galvanic skin responses, and correspondingly causing indigestion and even weakening the immune system. Despite the plethora of such research over the last twenty years, music of this type continues to be not only an expression of Western culture, but a foremost and effective means of propagating it. Put briefly, music which appeals to sensual emotions is a medium of control. Christians do not use such music out of obedience to God, or because they think it fosters strong morals or spiritual development. They use it because they like it. They use it because it has a drug-like effect on mind and body.

The Islamic rejection of such dangerous types of music may be the most important distinction between Christian and Islamic practice. Considering the proven harmful effects of rock and popular music, it may well be that the benefits of prayer in prostration, fasting, pilgrimage, and alms are largely outweighed by the deleterious effects of such music. Western music, with the exception of parts of the classical tradition, is among the greatest threats to Islam. There can be no compromise nor any path of approach between the two faiths on this matter.

http://www.al-islam.org/invitationhowto/

In conclusion, this sense of dancing around and singing is disrespecting the house of God. It is inappropriate and unacceptable. Islam condemns it. This does not get you close to God, but in fact, deters you away with them. This is in no way worship, nor is it good for you. You are just using God's name under a cloak of satan, just like some say wine is the blood of Jesus, so drink it. Now, you might say we have nasheeds. Yes we do, but it isnt like how you portray it, and there is a disagreement on the matter. We dont use it as worship, or in a form of worship, nor do we dance. I highly suggest you all read this article:

http://ahlulbayt.tv/enlight/?p=516

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

Hey Pureethics, long time no see.

I'll go along with some of what Dr McElwain says, not because hymns are so moving but because of the dogma introduced into religion because of it.

Then again, I remember a certain minister used to choose certain hymns so after they were sung he could point out the parts he didn't sing as being doctrinally incorrect. I always saw it as a "This is why I'm the preacher and you're the peasant" kinda attitude...and it was.

Interestingly enough I spent years of my youth singing and playing (guitar) in many churches in the greater Montreal area. The songs were thought out tho, They had to fit our understanding of God, Jesus, and had to be free of false doctrines. I have also heard others who are much better bring a crowd to tears with the beauty of the music and words combined into a message God could only endorse, as He obviously blessed many and brought them closer to Himself.

I guess, not knowing the history helped with the blessings.

Bob Larson first introduced me to the demonic side of rock n roll. I often wonder, when I hear "those demon calling beats" praising God how the demons feel about it. Personally, I love the victory of taking something from shaytan and giving it to God.

I understand music is haram. When I snuck up on one of my Muslim workers listening to Jazz. He jumped, whoa did he jump. Not because I caught him not working, but because he was listening to jazz, and he knew I knew. I didn't condemn him, I gave him a whole bunch more to think about.

On the other side of the shop a radio plays. No beat, no melody, the instruments are meant to be out of beat/tune. The "singer" is supposed to sound more like an instrument than a voice. The whole thing is repulsive, yet certain people listen to it, and I had no right to comment.. In this redneck  town, a dog making that noise would be shot.

Be honest with me. Are you truly so easily swayed that you would alter your religion based on some song you heard? Must you listen to reversed expulsion to pretend all music is bad? Your beliefs often come from sources that consider you all morons, sorry.

Where in the Quran does it forbid music? Is this another "hadith me away" thing?

By now you might have guessed music is a big part of my life. in 3 weeks from now my volunteer crew sets up for a Blues festival. As opposed to the immoral hip hop, n pop going on these days.

Sorry Christian Lady, this is not the direction you were headed...

20 some bands, 50 acclaimed talented artists sing about their woes, but over the course of the day the full gospel message will be sung for those there to hear it.

Not to sound mighty, (as I have a crew) but in essence I set the parameter, (the fence) and I set the stage, (build the stage). Then I pray that no evil enters where I've laboured. This year has extra challenges.

Music certainly does have a place in God's heart, and God has a way to emulate love through it. Why suppress it? Maybe it's easier to "spare" you than to expose you, in case you can't tell the difference.

Music may, (not good music) unite this world. When Iraq was hit, one of the pictures showed a music store full off CD's rap, pop, n hip hop. In Canada at a "rave" you can get ecstasy. In an Iraqi rave you can get, (or lose) life, yet it exists. Music drives at all risk. Imagine a common theme and a common goal and you can forget religion uniting the world.

Instruments keep you in time, and on key...not a bad thing.

A joyful noise can be appreciated by God, but an organized group can be appreciated by many as well as God.

So, why not take the musical talent God has provided and return the praise to God? Why not sing?

Be honest with me. Are you truly so easily swayed that you would alter your religion based on some song you heard? Must you listen to reversed expulsion to pretend all music is bad? Your beliefs often come from sources that consider you all morons, sorry.

Where in the Quran does it forbid music? Is this another "hadith me away" thing?

So, why not take the musical talent God has provided and return the praise to God? Why not sing?

(bismillah)

:D Salaam Placid, ya long time no see!

First off I will ignore your comment about calling us morons. The matter of music isnt just going away from God, its more than that. In Islam we have a criteria, "Prevention Before Cure", meaning anything that is more worse than good, it becomes haram. There is a purpose to everything in Islam. We dont just follow a religion blindly as say because we accept Jesus, we are saved, so do what ever you want. We dont just forget about morality, ethics, rules, spirituality, enjoining good forbidding evil. We pray 5 times a day. We are constantly thinking of Allah. We dont need any distractions. We dont need any "highs", like that of music. Why do you think people hear music? They want to get away from this world, when Allah has said, continue striving, pass the trials, dont ignore them. Why are drugs bad? They have good in them too. Why doesnt your church have a meth mondays, where everyone does meth? Well, in islam we take music the same way. Just because you mention God, doesnt mean the bad becomes good. The bad of music out way the good. Mostly any type of music which makes one dance, turns you into a animalistic state is haram. Any type of "music" in which brings you sadness and remembrance of Allah is okay, and still their are opinions on this matter. The quran contains principles in which are referred to hadiths. In Shia Islam, we take the quran and sayings of the prophets and imams. They are our divinely chosen leaders who know the true meaning of the quran. Quran is universal, it doesnt contain every single small issue by name, but it does give a set of rules and laws which abide all things. Hadiths go next to that, and even indepth. With due respect to our last comment, having a good voice doesnt mean "God" gave it to you for music. So if one is good at killing innocent people, then God gave him that talent? Or one that is talented at raping? Or one that is talented at doing drugs? Or one that is talented in fornication? Hopefully, you get the point....

Here is a section from another article:

Effects of Music on the Nervous System

Expert Doctors, Scientists and biologists have defined two types of nerves, the principal nerves and the arterial nerves. The principal nerves stretch from the neck to all vital organs. The arterial nerves spread from the main nerves to all parts of the body. The secondary nerves are connected to outward parts of the body and convey the messages to the brain. When the veins enlarge the blood pressure decreases. Due to the shrivelling of blood vessels, the blood pressure increases. When the blood pressure varies at different parts of the body it affects the health.

When the secondary nerves work they produce heat whereas the functioning of the central nerves produces the opposite effect. It is due to these nerves that feelings of sloth, sleep, thoughtlessness, forgetfulness, grief, sorrow, fainting, unconsciousness and even death occur. Obviously, when music can affect various nerves, it can give rise to various maladies. Mental diseases as well as physical ailments can occur. These mental effects can destroy man’s reasoning capacity. It is for this reason that one who listens to music is unable to perform work that can be accomplished by a sane person.

Music creates vibrations in the body and these are conveyed to all the parts of the body through the nervous system. As a result of this, indigestion occurs. Music affects the heart in such a way that the heartbeats become irregular. The blood pressure goes awry. All such ailments make a person permanently ill. Consequently, even modern medical science, in spite of its astonishing progress, fails in such a situation. Sometimes, the music is so intense that the listeners lose their sanity. They become dumb and various kinds of mental diseases occur. In places where music is more prevalent, we find that there are more neurotic illnesses. It is for this reason that more mental hospitals are to be found in Europe and America.

Dr. Adlen writes against music, “Even though it seems pleasant, the effect of music is profound upon the nervous system. Especially, when the temperature is high, the ill effect of music is more. This is the reason that ill effects of music are more in the hot areas of Iran and Saudi Arabia. The American people are so disgusted with the bane of music that they have united to demand from the senate a permanent ban on music. It is a pity that the whole world clearly perceives the evils of music and yet adopts music as entertainment.”

(Refer to the booklet; “Tasir Mausiqi bar Asāb” page3,6,10)

www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/20.htm

(wasalam)

Edited by PureEthics

Hello PureEthics,

Since your post is made up of a quote and I don't want to wrestle with the intricacies of trying to quote it little by little, I just will  answer without quoting, k?  Thanks.

Just to be clear about what music is:

Music constitutes of singing or playing musical instruments or both, is defined as the following in English:

"1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing."

Ok, now to my comments concerning what you quoted:

1.) First of all, music was a part of worshiping God way before Jesus Christ (the Messiah) came. The quote in your post did not address this at all. What do you think concerning Moses singing http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+15&version=NIV and David's playing musical instruments http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles+13&version=NIV and King David ordering the tribe of Israel to organize singers and musicians http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Chronicles+15&version=NIV ?

2.) Secondly, the author of the quote in your post does not seem to take into consideration that Jesus sang with his disciples. Since both Jesus and the disciples who walked and talked with him are Jewish, it's understandable that they followed in the worship patterns of their ancestors and leaders, which of course includes King David mentioned in point 1. The following is the record of Jesus and his disciples singing a hymn: (I boldened some.)

Matthew 26 (NIV)

"26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."

(Note, a hymn is a song or ode; please see for the reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hymn+?s=t )

King David, who is the crucial ancestor of Jesus Christ, wrote the following song (Psalm) centuries before Jesus:

Psalm 40 - http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/Psalms40.html

"4 And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our G-d; many shall see, and fear, and shall trust in HaShem."

Jesus talked about King David, showing that he (Jesus) is the fulfillment of the prophesies God gave to King David. The following are those accounted in the Gospel accounts of Matthew:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2012:1-8&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2022:41-46&version=NIV

The angel Gabriel, when talking to Mary, shows how Jesus is the fulfillment of God's promise of the Anointed One on the throne of King David:

Luke 1 (NIV)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+1&version=NIV

"29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

Jesus fulfills God's promises concerning the Anointed One who He promised David would be on his throne forever:

2 Samuel 7:12-17 - http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/Samuela7.html

1 Chronicles 17:11-15 - http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/1Chron17.html

Psalm 2 - http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/Psalms2.html

Psalm 89 - http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Bible/Psalms89.html

How does this relate with music? Music was a big part of how King David worshiped God. Jesus Christ and his disciples continued in worshiping our Father in Heaven (what Jesus called God many times) with music.

3.) God has given people voices and talent for many things, including producing music. Worshiping God through singing and playing musical instruments is thus a part of using what God has given us. While I understand this is not what the author of the quote or you believe, this is what I and many Christians believe.

As a Christian, I am grateful for the gift God has given of my voice, which I use both in talking and singing praise to Him for His glory. I am grateful for the artistic and creative abilities He has given people in order to produce music with both their voices and musical instruments' "voices." Why did God give these abilities? For us to use them to glorify Him in praise and joy!!!

The following search are just several of many references to singing to God in the Psalms:

The following are some references of playing musical instruments for God in the Psalms as well:

Psalm 33:2

Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.

Psalm 144:9
I will sing a new song to you, my God; on the ten-stringed lyre I will make music to you,

Psalm 149:3
Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp.

Many Christians continue in the way of worshiping God through music: singing and playing musical instruments for His glory! :)

Peace and God bless you

The following is one of my favorite hymns, which meditates on Psalm 42:1

I'll go along with some of what Dr McElwain says, not because hymns are so moving but because of the dogma introduced into religion because of it.

Then again, I remember a certain minister used to choose certain hymns so after they were sung he could point out the parts he didn't sing as being doctrinally incorrect. I always saw it as a "This is why I'm the preacher and you're the peasant" kinda attitude...and it was.

Interestingly enough I spent years of my youth singing and playing (guitar) in many churches in the greater Montreal area. The songs were thought out tho, They had to fit our understanding of God, Jesus, and had to be free of false doctrines. I have also heard others who are much better bring a crowd to tears with the beauty of the music and words combined into a message God could only endorse, as He obviously blessed many and brought them closer to Himself.

I guess, not knowing the history helped with the blessings.

Bob Larson first introduced me to the demonic side of rock n roll. I often wonder, when I hear "those demon calling beats" praising God how the demons feel about it. Personally, I love the victory of taking something from shaytan and giving it to God.

I understand music is haram. When I snuck up on one of my Muslim workers listening to Jazz. He jumped, whoa did he jump. Not because I caught him not working, but because he was listening to jazz, and he knew I knew. I didn't condemn him, I gave him a whole bunch more to think about.

On the other side of the shop a radio plays. No beat, no melody, the instruments are meant to be out of beat/tune. The "singer" is supposed to sound more like an instrument than a voice. The whole thing is repulsive, yet certain people listen to it, and I had no right to comment.. In this redneck  town, a dog making that noise would be shot.

By now you might have guessed music is a big part of my life. in 3 weeks from now my volunteer crew sets up for a Blues festival. As opposed to the immoral hip hop, n pop going on these days.

Sorry Christian Lady, this is not the direction you were headed...

20 some bands, 50 acclaimed talented artists sing about their woes, but over the course of the day the full gospel message will be sung for those there to hear it.

Not to sound mighty, (as I have a crew) but in essence I set the parameter, (the fence) and I set the stage, (build the stage). Then I pray that no evil enters where I've laboured. This year has extra challenges.

Music certainly does have a place in God's heart, and God has a way to emulate love through it. Why suppress it? Maybe it's easier to "spare" you than to expose you, in case you can't tell the difference.

Music may, (not good music) unite this world. When Iraq was hit, one of the pictures showed a music store full off CD's rap, pop, n hip hop. In Canada at a "rave" you can get ecstasy. In an Iraqi rave you can get, (or lose) life, yet it exists. Music drives at all risk. Imagine a common theme and a common goal and you can forget religion uniting the world.

Instruments keep you in time, and on key...not a bad thing.

A joyful noise can be appreciated by God, but an organized group can be appreciated by many as well as God.

Hello Son of Placid,

It's nice to write with you again! I hope you and your family are very well.

Could you please apologize to Pure Ethics for the moron comment? Thanks.

It's ok with me that discussion goes in different ways to different topics and directions. It's always interesting!

Peace and God bless you ;)

Edited by Christianlady

First off, I didn't, nor would I call PureEthics nor any other Muslim a moron but looking back I didn't explain it very well either. What I meant was that some hadith is so oversimplified in explanation that even -------- could understand the message. I'm sorry if anyone thot it was directed at them.

Getting on to PureEthic's long paragraph, I'll suggest the meth Monday idea and see where it goes.

Actually, since you went to the point of ludicrous to explain your point I'll say this.  

Yes, not only do I know the difference between good Muslims and bad Christians as you explain, but I also know some of each by name. I also smile because I see Muslims at the Blues festival. First year we followed them to make sure they weren't planting bombs, but they sat, listened, enjoyed. They didn't take drugs, nor drink alcohol, they didn't dance, they were in all aspects Muslim. Should I condemn them?

If you really believed not to touch anything that is more worse than good you would have never got on the internet. Prevention before cure is great, but creates a bubble like existence. Once exposed to something outside that bubble and you have no idea how to handle it. No immune system. I'm not saying go run around, test the evils, I'm saying every garden needs to be weeded. If you aren't willing to pull the weeds, you'll never find the good food that was planted.

There are many "types" of music, I'm sure you were referring to the worst of it by mentioning an animalistic state. I don't think that's what Christian Lady was talking about.

Bluesfest, yeah, there will be singers, flashy dancers, lights, mega amps, more instruments than you can name, and all on a stage. Yes, it's for entertainment for people who want to get away from (basically) themselves. How much of it do they hear? not much, except when some old guy with a guitar brings them back.

Wish I had taken video at the time. Here's a rendition of what turned an audience to tears one year. Why me Lord?

Every year I get to talk with artists and hear their stories of what they were and how God brought them out of it. Every year someone has a problem and brings it to me for advice, many other things happen but I get to "dig thru the weeds" and find those worth meeting, people seeking something they've been missing, people who don't know where they are, or can't see a way out of it. Not all big stars, some building fences, some cleaning garbage.

My latest prayer has been "How can I serve you best next?" This year the festival lays heavy on me. I will spend most of my quiet times wondering what that means.

I'm working on having more influence on who gets on stage already <------hidden agenda.

One more old favorite. George B Shea

Thanks for sharing this info Christianlady. 

Muslims also have a tradition of praising God using music, it's called Qawwali. There are a lot of Qawwalis available on youtube specially from Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. 

For instance: Ya Hayyo Ya Qayyum (O Ever Living and Self Existing)

Tears. Thank you all of you who give song (reciting) for reminding (zikir) about Al Ilah, The GOD and only GOD. logically have all credits due to His Will, we all creatures may know each other.

I am adding the song from my country :

Edited by myouvial

Hello Thoughtful,

Well, I like your post because I have indeed heard of Nasheeds. However, I disagree that musical instruments should not be used, as it is obvious in the Tanakh that musical instruments are simply tools that can be used to praise God. I also do not agree with you about there not being talent, because I know there is. God has given my Dad and 2 of my sisters talent in singing, as well as He has given my 2 of my Uncles and many of my cousins talent in both singing and in playing musical instruments. Sad to say, not all of my cousins use the talent God gave them for His glory, but some do.

Thank you for sharing your beliefs. Could you please reference why you do not believe musical instruments should be used? Thanks. I have to go now, but I hope to come back tomorrow.

Peace and God bless you.

Hi

It's good when people use their talents to worship God like your family, I was referring to the modern music not choir singing or hymns. Here are many references showing why I think musical instruments shouldn't be used: http://www.al-islam.org/greater_sins_complete/20.htm

Tears. Thank you all of you who give song (reciting) for reminding (zikir) about Al Ilah, The GOD and only GOD. logically have all credits due to His Will, we all creatures may know each other.

I'm at a disadvantage not understanding the language but it sounds like a very powerful reverent song. 

Thoughtful, with hadith like these I can understand why you believe as you do, but quite honestly it's way too late to convince me all is haram.

looks more like fear tactics to me...

“A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyāma will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player.”

I'm at a disadvantage not understanding the language but it sounds like a very powerful reverent song. 

Thoughtful, with hadith like these I can understand why you believe as you do, but quite honestly it's way too late to convince me all is haram.

looks more like fear tactics to me...

“A person who possesses a sitar, on the day of Qiyāma will be raised with a black face. His hands will be holding a sitar of fire. Seventy thousand angels with maces of fire will be hitting him on the face and the head. The singer will arise from his grave, blind, deaf and dumb. The adulterer will be similarly raised. The player of flute will also be made to rise in this way as will be the drum player.”

Interesting, I do not believe what you believe. But at least we believe we talk in shiachat. :D

Theres a difference of opinion on singing and music. The Quran doesnt explicitly prohibit singing or music, but it does talk of idle pursuits. I think like any tool, the positivity and effect of music and singing is dependent on the intentions of the people performing it. You can use the values of Quran (and bible) to come to a conslusion about which kinds of music are promoting corruption and which ones arent. Ive always liked listening to music that praises Allah. Its hard not to admire the passion in Gospel music for praising God; 'O happy day' has been one of my favourite songs since i was little, although i now realise that the lyrics are about the crucifixion, which is obviously not an Islamic concept, i think of Jesus(as) helping to 'wash (the temptation of) sins away' by giving Gods message, rather than being killed on a cross.

First off, I didn't, nor would I call PureEthics nor any other Muslim a moron but looking back I didn't explain it very well either. What I meant was that some hadith is so oversimplified in explanation that even -------- could understand the message. I'm sorry if anyone thot it was directed at them.

Getting on to PureEthic's long paragraph, I'll suggest the meth Monday idea and see where it goes.

Actually, since you went to the point of ludicrous to explain your point I'll say this.  

Yes, not only do I know the difference between good Muslims and bad Christians as you explain, but I also know some of each by name. I also smile because I see Muslims at the Blues festival. First year we followed them to make sure they weren't planting bombs, but they sat, listened, enjoyed. They didn't take drugs, nor drink alcohol, they didn't dance, they were in all aspects Muslim. Should I condemn them?

If you really believed not to touch anything that is more worse than good you would have never got on the internet. Prevention before cure is great, but creates a bubble like existence. Once exposed to something outside that bubble and you have no idea how to handle it. No immune system. I'm not saying go run around, test the evils, I'm saying every garden needs to be weeded. If you aren't willing to pull the weeds, you'll never find the good food that was planted.

There are many "types" of music, I'm sure you were referring to the worst of it by mentioning an animalistic state. I don't think that's what Christian Lady was talking about.

Bluesfest, yeah, there will be singers, flashy dancers, lights, mega amps, more instruments than you can name, and all on a stage. Yes, it's for entertainment for people who want to get away from (basically) themselves. How much of it do they hear? not much, except when some old guy with a guitar brings them back.

Wish I had taken video at the time. Here's a rendition of what turned an audience to tears one year. Why me Lord?

Every year I get to talk with artists and hear their stories of what they were and how God brought them out of it. Every year someone has a problem and brings it to me for advice, many other things happen but I get to "dig thru the weeds" and find those worth meeting, people seeking something they've been missing, people who don't know where they are, or can't see a way out of it. Not all big stars, some building fences, some cleaning garbage.

My latest prayer has been "How can I serve you best next?" This year the festival lays heavy on me. I will spend most of my quiet times wondering what that means.

I'm working on having more influence on who gets on stage already <------hidden agenda.

One more old favorite. George B Shea

Hello Son of Placid,

I just saw that I had accidentally typed the winky smilie instead of the smilie. I'm so sorry! It was not my intention at all.

Thanks for explaining about the moron comment and for apologizing.

The following comment of yours is awesome: "Every year I get to talk with artists and hear their stories of what they were and how God brought them out of it." 

It is so cool how God rescues people!!! God has rescued both me and my husband too!!!

Many years ago, God used a song to convict me in an area where I had not been obeying Him. I thank God for His amazing love, mercy, kindness, grace, forgiveness, and goodness!!!

The following is the song that God used to convict me to repent of my sin and come to Him for forgiveness, and obey Him:

"Isaiah 6" by Todd Agnew

Here is a youtube I just now found of this song... however, God convicted me through this song when my Dad sent me the CD many years ago. My parents had been praying very diligently for me. Even when I didn't listen to them, God found a way to get through to me, praise His Holy name!!! :)

Peace and God bless you :)

Thanks for sharing this info Christianlady. 

Muslims also have a tradition of praising God using music, it's called Qawwali. There are a lot of Qawwalis available on youtube specially from Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. 

For instance: Ya Hayyo Ya Qayyum (O Ever Living and Self Existing)

Hello Sayedzeeshan,

Thanks for the link! I do not understand the words or the style of music, but it is so cool how God knows the hearts of all and understands the meanings of every word in every language on earth!!! :)

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

Hi Lady,

Music is a great communicator and I would like to add a little, --- mostly for the benefit of Ethics (I don’t think I can say ‘Pure Ethics’ because his assessment of Ethics on Music seem to come from a “World point of View.”)

To deny Music and instruments a place in worship, is to deny the Scriptures.

There are many songs written in the Scriptures:

The Song of Moses, the Song of Miriam, the Song of Solomon, the Song of Mary,

--- And, of course, the Psalms of David. ---- It mentions them in these Surahs:

17:55 And thy Lord is Best Aware of all who are in the heavens and the earth. And we preferred some of the prophets above others, and unto David We gave the Psalms.

4:163  Lo! We inspire thee as We inspired Noah and the prophets after him, as We inspired Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and Jesus and Job and Jonah and Aaron and Solomon, and as We imparted unto David the Psalms;

3:184  And if they deny thee, even so did they deny messengers who were before thee, who came with miracles and with the Psalms and with the Scripture giving light.

--- And the angels, in 39:75, And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine) on all sides, singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment) will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all sides) will be, "Praise be to God, the Lord of the Worlds!"

The Psalms of David were the songs of the Day, as well as used in worship.

This is the order of the Psalms as used in the weekly services:

On the first day of the week, Psalm 24, “The earth is the Lord’s” in commemoration of the first Day of Creation.

On the second day they sang Psalm 48, “Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised.”

On the third day they sang Psalm 82, “God standeth in the congregation of the mighty.”

On the fourth day they sang Psalm 94, “O Lord God, to whom vengeance belongeth.”

On the fifth day they sang Psalm 81, “Sing aloud unto God our strength.”

On the sixth day they sang Psalm 93,”The Lord reigneth.”

On the seventh day they sang Psalm 92, “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord.”

They began and ended the day with prayer and praise.

Many Psalms have been set to music in English and are sung in Churches today.

Notice the words of Psalm 1:

1Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
    Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
    And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water,
    That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Or the most popular 23:

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life; And I will dwell[
a
] in the house of the Lord
Forever.

I will be away for a while as we are travelling, and, Lord willing, in about 1 week we will be visiting Son of Placid,

Blessings,

Placid

Hello Son of Placid,

I just saw that I had accidentally typed the winky smilie instead of the smilie. I'm so sorry! It was not my intention at all.

Thanks for explaining about the moron comment and for apologizing.

The following comment of yours is awesome: "Every year I get to talk with artists and hear their stories of what they were and how God brought them out of it." 

It is so cool how God rescues people!!! God has rescued both me and my husband too!!!

Many years ago, God used a song to convict me in an area where I had not been obeying Him. I thank God for His amazing love, mercy, kindness, grace, forgiveness, and goodness!!!

The following is the song that God used to convict me to repent of my sin and come to Him for forgiveness, and obey Him:

"Isaiah 6" by Todd Agnew

Here is a youtube I just now found of this song... however, God convicted me through this song when my Dad sent me the CD many years ago. My parents had been praying very diligently for me. Even when I didn't listen to them, God found a way to get through to me, praise His Holy name!!! :)

Peace and God bless you :)

Hello Sayedzeeshan,

Thanks for the link! I do not understand the words or the style of music, but it is so cool how God knows the hearts of all and understands the meanings of every word in every language on earth!!! :)

Peace and God bless you

Hello Christianlady,

The language is Urdu. You wouldn't understand it. But he sang along some English and US singers as well, like Peter Gabriel, Eddie Vedder, etc. 

(bismillah)

5. Hymnsinging

Perhaps the favorite Christian spiritual practice is hymnsinging. This is completely unacceptable in Islam, and even the tradition in some countries of using the ilaahi does not compare with it. The only point of contact is to be found in some exaggerated forms of Sufism, where music is used as a vehicle for producing ecstatic behaviour. Music has had several functions in Christianity. The earliest was in the propagation of dogmas about which various Christian groups disagreed. Music was thus a major vehicle in the struggle between Christian heresy and orthodoxy. One might expect that debate and reason would be preferable tools, but historically speaking this is not so. The second great function of music in Christianity was historically the expression of the Trinity, and this found its way not only into the words of the songs, but in the very musical structures themselves, which repeated tri-part patterns. The third great function of music in Christianity was the support of authoritarian institutions through emotionally overwhelming pageantry. Western music thus supported the European monarchies on one hand, and a religion with a monarchical character on the other. Both Calvinist and Lutheran reform utilized music for their own purposes against Rome. Anglican music has been of such a character to emphasize both the monarchical character of the church as well as its Englishness in contrast to Rome. Part of the break with Rome was bolstered by the incorporation of folk styles into Lutheran and Calvinistic worship, and this corresponded with the rejection of the pontifical authority. The intrusion of folk styles of music into Christian worship gave rise to an increasing play on the individual emotions and the individual spiritual experience. This has resulted in the varieties of religious music we find today. These are traditional styles in the more conservative churches, reflecting their role in the Reformation, and new styles in the more radical movements. Since the introduction of the Protestant hymn in England in the early 1700s, Anglo-Saxon Christianity has gone on a deeper and deeper progression toward utilizing the sensual emotions of the individual as a vehicle for spiritual experience. That is why there is little or no difference between the music styles found in non-conformist churches and those found in discos and nightclubs. Both appeal to the same emotions.

The justification for using such music is generally that the young people like it, and it attracts them to the church. This is the old argument used for the inclusion of Greek theatre music in Byzantine worship as early as the fifth century. That concession has resulted in the development of the Byzantine liturgical tradition. It is doubtful that the rock mass will produce anything as esthetically appealing as that, however, to say nothing of Baptist and Pentecostal crooning.

Music which appeals to the emotions of awe, although it may well have originally served to support an authoritarian church, may well have the same esthetic value as music intended to support the royal courts of Europe. An interest in such classical music may not be harmful. Research indicates that for the most part it fosters balanced physical functions in the body. The same research clearly suggests, however, that not only rock but other lighter styles which were developed and became popular in the twentieth century actually cause physical imbalances in bodily functions, such as increasing heart rate and galvanic skin responses, and correspondingly causing indigestion and even weakening the immune system. Despite the plethora of such research over the last twenty years, music of this type continues to be not only an expression of Western culture, but a foremost and effective means of propagating it. Put briefly, music which appeals to sensual emotions is a medium of control. Christians do not use such music out of obedience to God, or because they think it fosters strong morals or spiritual development. They use it because they like it. They use it because it has a drug-like effect on mind and body.

The Islamic rejection of such dangerous types of music may be the most important distinction between Christian and Islamic practice. Considering the proven harmful effects of rock and popular music, it may well be that the benefits of prayer in prostration, fasting, pilgrimage, and alms are largely outweighed by the deleterious effects of such music. Western music, with the exception of parts of the classical tradition, is among the greatest threats to Islam. There can be no compromise nor any path of approach between the two faiths on this matter.

http://www.al-islam.org/invitationhowto/

In conclusion, this sense of dancing around and singing is disrespecting the house of God. It is inappropriate and unacceptable. Islam condemns it. This does not get you close to God, but in fact, deters you away with them. This is in no way worship, nor is it good for you. You are just using God's name under a cloak of satan, just like some say wine is the blood of Jesus, so drink it. Now, you might say we have nasheeds. Yes we do, but it isnt like how you portray it, and there is a disagreement on the matter. We dont use it as worship, or in a form of worship, nor do we dance. I highly suggest you all read this article:

http://ahlulbayt.tv/enlight/?p=516

(wasalam)

Music has always been used because as anyone knows it causes us to memorize.  Our brains are hard wired for music.  The earliest form of transmitting the Word of God was David's Psalms. :)

(bismillah)

We dont just follow a religion blindly as say because we accept Jesus, we are saved, so do what ever you want. We dont just forget about morality, ethics, rules, spirituality, enjoining good forbidding evil. We pray 5 times a day. We are constantly thinking of Allah.

Greetings PureEthics,

I would say these same things about myself, and I would say that music... the right music... helps direct my thoughts and keep my mind centered on God.  So it entirely depends on what music you allow yourself to listen to.

As far as music and its effects on the nervous system... yes, again, music that worships God is very beneficial to my nervous system, calming my mind from the worldly distractions and bringing me into closer communion with my Creator.

Salaam. :)

Greetings myouvial,

This is a nice example... it starts off so calming, so peaceful.  Music can bring out good in the heart.  What is your country?

Salaam.

Edited by CLynn

Oh goodness!  Why do you share an example of music no one should listen to? :no:

the youth today listens to this trash , whether be muslims , jews , Christians or atheist.

The same people that bring you this , bring out all other music.

It's all the same , there is nothing good in music , they have a monopoly on the music industry.

Only thing that these people cannot get their dirty paws into  is the :Quran and the glorious :Ayhlul-Bayt (as) .

Everything else is theirs including your bible .

the youth today listens to this trash , whether be muslims , jews , Christians or atheist.

It's all the same , there is nothing good in music , they have a monopoly on the music industry.

Only thing that these people cannot get their dirty paws into  is the :Quran and the glorious :Ayhlul-Bayt (as) .

Everything else is theirs including your bible .

You're not cynical, are you.

Oh goodness!  Why do you share an example of music no one should listen to? :no:

Some cultures also distinguish between good and bad intoxicants. I don't see how that works either.

Greetings :Sami II,

That's just not true.  There are lots of good people making music for God, praising Him... just like David wrote music to praise God.

God gives us this talent of music making, why would He not want us to use what He has given?

'Make a joyful noise unto the Lord', as it says in the Psalms of David.

Salaam.

Greetings :Sami II,

That's just not true.  There are lots of good people making music for God, praising Him... just like David wrote music to praise God.

God gives us this talent of music making, why would He not want us to use what He has given?

'Make a joyful noise unto the Lord', as it says in the Psalms of David.

Salaam.

greetings dear CLynn , good to see you're still around ,

the music industry like all industries do not have an ounce of integrity or goodness .

It only exists for the purpose of profit and mind control of the masses towards an agenda of serving the masters.

Whether it is church music , rap or praising god.

Every music ever recored in a studio , goes through a process of  satanic ritual using certain frequencies and technologies in order to attach  demonic  entities that serve as parasites which destroys the soul.

This was demonstrated to me by a high degree mason that had his own recording studio.

That's why our scholars in the :Shia world are so strict in their rulings towards music.

Even rules for recitation of the :Holy-Quran is very specific and it must not exceed certain frequencies .

This is a well know fact in the industry at top levels .

be careful what you listen to .

peace and glad tidings to you .

the music industry like all industries do not have an ounce of integrity or goodness .

It only exists for the purpose of profit and mind control of the masses towards an agenda of serving the masters.

Every music ever recored in a studio , goes through a process of  satanic ritual using certain frequencies and technologies in order to attach  demonic  entities that serve as parasites which destroys the soul.

This was demonstrated to me by a high degree mason that had his own recording studio.

That's why our scholars in the :Shia world are so strict in their rulings towards music.

Even rules for recitation of the :Holy-Quran is very specific and it must not exceed certain frequencies .

Greetings Sami II,

Thank you so much for the nice reply.

I want to ask though, what about music not made by the music industry?  What about music made by simple folks who make music among themselves for the worship of God?

I agree with your admonition and do try to be careful.  I also believe God has given us the gift of making music and would not want to see us not use these gifts.  It is, as with all things, how we use these talents and gifts.

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature

16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.

I believe God wants us to choose of our own will, and He gives us this freedom to do so.  It is the test of our love and worthiness.  I believe music is a great gift of God which does wonderful things for our minds, souls, hearts and bodies, if we use it properly.  The story of David, and the Psalms he has left behind, tell us of God's great appreciation for music.

Peace and glad tidings to you also,

CLynn :)

Edited by CLynn

That is interesting :Sami, I once watched a program about something similar. It discussed heavy metal and death metal music, but I doubt it is exclusive to only this type of music. You only need to do a bit of research about the "satanic music industry".........you can't make these things up. Anyway, the guy being interviewed in this link admits to what you are saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FwDbiajBEbk

Hi Sami, yes has been long time. am well, expect you are doing well too?

Sami is one of the very few here that don't hide if you mention spiritual evil.(as do most Christians too). What he's talking about is real. The video too

Studies have been done to how many hrtz it takes to vibrate a woman's butt.

It's not talent anymore, it's selected electronic rhythms, beats, and tones. Doesn't matter which skinny blonde they put on stage, doesn't matter the lyrics or the morals, as long as they make money. 

Enter the rainman.

Even at a Bluesfest I can tell you who brought their demons with them. They aren't all on stage, and they aren't always what you'd expect, There are also those who have beat their demons and are willing to share, and a majority of sheeple.

What I like about blues is that everybody leaves quietly. No fights, no rowdy, a little more at peace with themselves.

Give this to your Christian friends...

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12."

This is global and viral and not new. It's certainly not unique to the music industry. In any industry you can be sure "All of the above" is on the board. My executive Bro in law explained what it is to get there, be there, and stay there.  Way off topic...

What Christian Lady said,..

Edited by Son of Placid

Sami is one of the very few here that don't hide if you mention spiritual evil.(as do most Christians too). What he's talking about is real. The video too

It's not talent anymore, it's selected electronic rhythms, beats, and tones. Doesn't matter which skinny blonde they put on stage, doesn't matter the lyrics or the morals, as long as they make money. 

Enter the rainman.

Even at a Bluesfest I can tell you who brought their demons with them. They aren't all on stage, and they aren't always what you'd expect, There are also those who have beat their demons and are willing to share, and a majority of sheeple.

What I like about blues is that everybody leaves quietly. No fights, no rowdy, a little more at peace with themselves.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12."

This is global and viral and not new. It's certainly not unique to the music industry. In any industry you can be sure "All of the above" is on the board. My executive Bro in law explained what it is to get there, be there, and stay there.  Way off topic...

Hi Son, teacup here :)

So you do not believe in Christian music?

and, what did ChristianLady say?  Her posts were long and I sort of skimmed them.

Greetings Sami II,

Thank you so much for the nice reply.

I want to ask though, what about music not made by the music industry?  What about music made by simple folks who make music among themselves for the worship of God?

I agree with your admonition and do try to be careful.  I also believe God has given us the gift of making music and would not want to see us not use these gifts.  It is, as with all things, how we use these talents and gifts.

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature

16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.

I believe God wants us to choose of our own will, and He gives us this freedom to do so.  It is the test of our love and worthiness.  I believe music is a great gift of God which does wonderful things for our minds, souls, hearts and bodies, if we use it properly.  The story of David, and the Psalms he has left behind, tell us of God's great appreciation for music.

Peace and glad tidings to you also,

CLynn :)

Greetings dear CLynn,

This will give my age away , but as a youngster , I remember the days when I use to go down the corner milk bar .

It was owned by a greek man , called Peter.

I would order hot chips , he had his mother cooking for him in the kitchen .

She was an old chubby lady dressed in black .

I watched her cut up potatoes , that she grew in her garden.

Then she would fry them in olive oil or some pure vegetable oil.

She would add some real sea salt and vinegar , then Peter  will wrap it up in paper and it cost like 5c.

It was delicious , the simple pleasures of life.

Those days are over , because Peter's shop was taken out by a shopping mall and his corner shop replaced by multi-nationals.

The potatoes chips today are not made by an old greek mother , with real potatoes and fried in pure oils.

The chips these days are not even considered as food but a toxic type substance that your body cannot even digest .

I reason I tell you this story is the same thing has happened to the music industry.

There was a time when some small studios will bring out really good music.

It was analogue and not digital.

There was love in their creation of music.

It was not filled with satanic symbolism and rituals.

But the Peter's of the music industry are long gone.

And replaced  the big M version .

Toxic , demonic and totally indigestible for the soul.

it is the same for the policeman  , the doctor and the candle stick maker .

As for the language used in music .

The :Prophet-Dawood  (as)  (David ) , did not sing in english .

He praised in the truth language of :Syriac or :Aramaic , same as :Prophet-Isa  (as) ( Jesus ).

This is similar to :Arabic and :Hebrew.

They are like :Sanskrit and :Gallic are truth languages .

They allow in interface , (the human) to reach certain vibrations to communicate with it's :Creator .

It is the preferred language of your :Creator, for you to communicate.

If you were to chant or recite in these languages to a candle , the colours of the flame will change colours.

It is pure , and send positive vibrations and can even rid disease , bring peace and  real love.

From the above languages , only the :Quaranic-Arabic is freely available and recited everywhere to the common folks.

The others are  kept within deep secret societies that normal folks have no access to .

I have mentioned the language of English .

This language is not from your :Creator , or from his representatives.

It is the creation of men , for the purposes of commerce and trade.

It is the complete opposite to the truth languages.

It writes from left to right .

It has no nouns as it is an verb adverb language .

It's only purpose exists so non living entities like companies and governments can communicate with each other.

When a living being talks in English , the soul recognises as the opposite of it, or most of the time , it rejects it.

That's why there's so much confusion in it.

And it has been done like this on purpose.

The legal system has a field day playing with the colour of the law as it's not black and white.

I have demonstrated this in my previous posts.

I apologise if I'm losing you here and most other people ,and I understand because it took my a few years to get my head around it.

So if you really want to reach out to your :Creator , and you should .

Praise him in the language of truth that :He has established.

I know you're probably thinking hey , he is GOD , and it's not the medium but the intent, as he knows within the hearts of hearts.

Well , that's like saying to your wife/husband , I really love you . but never expresses it in the way she/he wants you to.

how long will that marriage last ??

It's not only the intent but you must use the correct tools to express your love.

Oh . one more thing , if you do not use what your :Creators asks for , the default programming or tool is with your enemy satan.

Choose well my dear friend .

peace and blessing to you .

Edited by :Sami II

Enter the rainman.

I'm well also thanks for asking dear son of placid .

that's a cool quote and so true it is .

The global stage is a very different landscape than  30- 40 years ago.

Things have sure changed .

As a side note , I had the pleasure of listening to native Australian Aboriginal music .

Their music and dance is not for entertainment purposes though most of the white men see as this.

They use such instruments like the didgeridoo to invoke certain entities (demonic or not ), and get their blessing and advise before they commence a journey or seek advise.

In all cultures and civilisations , music was always used a medium of control from the elites and mindless entertainment for the sheeple .

Please do mention  the findings of your exec bro in law .

Cheers 

Reminds me of a missionary, Otto Konning.. He wasn't quite prepared for his ministry in Indonesia but while back in the states one year his kids picked up a couple rock n roll vinyl's. I'm guessing he played music often but when the kids put on the rock n roll music the natives came to ask why he was calling on --------- demons. It was the off beat that they recognised. In many countries where there are still uncivilized natives there is still a demonic influence. 2 million Mayans still in the Mexican forests doing their thing. Human sacrifices, etc.(sink holes filled with human bones and jewels) Not everything is known about the Mayans, other than their calendar didn't work out so well. Percussion is the big thing. Some as simple as hollow wood that can make two tones, to the stone xylophones.  Their favorite game ends with the captain of the winning team having the honour of getting beheaded in front of a cheering crowd.

This is all a far cry from live music in a church.