Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
azhar-karbalai72

Imam Ali(As) May Not Have Been So Short After All.

Rate this topic

(bismillah) 

(salam)

Brothers and sisters, you are probably cursing me for putting up this oft repeated topic and bringing to it the attention of a lot of SC members. However, I find it surprising that we consider Imam Ali to have been a man of short height. To all those who say that it is not the physique that matters, you are absolutely right, for it was his unparalleled genius that matters. But still, for the sake of clarity, lets take into account that if the people of the Prophet's(SAWW) time were taller than now, and if you put it to a numerical test (depends on whose calculations you believe in), then the average height would have been well above 10 feet, possibly reaching to 12 feet. Now, do not go on slapping your hands to your foreheads in frustration and anger, rather bear with me for a while :D .

As the Kaaba was about 40 feet, it housed Hubal's(the ugly idol) statue at its top. The Prophet(SAWW) had to put Imam Ali on his shoulders. Imam Ali then in turn held a staff to destroy the statue. The Prophet(saww) was renowned for his height (again, depends on the ulema's reports) so during our time, he might have been around 7 feet. His staff might have been around 6'3 or 6'4. Convert that 1400 years ago and you get a height of more than 14 feet reaching to 15 feet. The staff would thus be around twelve or 13 feet. Even then, Imam Ali would have to be at least the same height or even taller to have a chance of smashing Hubal. I know its very confusing but even if you think about 1400 years  ago, when men were taller, you get to the point that Imam Ali would have to be extremely tall to smash the idol. Then again, many scientists say that we were actually shorter. This is just my opinion and if you don't agree with it (which I presume you won't) then feel free to add anything :) .

You are correct, it is not a proven fact. However, many people claim that the heights were much different. Hazrat Adam and his generation as I recall, were above 40 feet tall as claimed by Ulema. People believe that as centuries passed, people grew shorter. Then again I only used this as my "central premise" so that I could connect the height of Imam Ali and the ease with which he was able to destroy the statue. If he was as tall as we are now, then he would not have been able to reach to top of the Kaaba, unless he was standing on the backs of 10 other people. Then again, just my theory.

there are lots of non muslim accounts of the holy prophet (pbuh), i cant remember any of them saying he was over 7 foot tall. also the non muslim artifacts in that period (such as romans etc) do not show people to be any particularly taller than us. if anything, people in older times were shorter by average than we are, since we eat better so have more body mass.

please can you provide us any words from ulema about his height?

I'm more interested in what is there to prove that Imam Ali [a] was short. :huh:

Regardless, being short is not a defect. Infact, it's  scientifically proven short people live longer and have a delayed onset of chronic disease. 

Edited by Basim Ali

@Sayyed.Dynasty,

Yeah tahts true. I have heard it in many Hadises.

If you go by the way of science, it says "The hieght of human race shall reduce consequently. We are HOMO-SAPIENS, (Avg height = 5.8 Feet) The coming generation, Homo-Futurous shall have height of about 3.0 Feets."

So we can conclude Height has & is redcing day-by-day :) That is why early people were so tall.

Does it seriously matter?

They had someone on here a while back trying to make us upset by saying that Imam Ali (as) was black.....LOL. It was a complete fail on the part of the troll because no one cared, of course it was a salafi.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/235004379-do-you-know-that-ali-raa-was-black-skinned/

Edited by ImAli

@Sayyed.Dynasty,

If you go by the way of science, it says "The hieght of human race shall reduce consequently. We are HOMO-SAPIENS, (Avg height = 5.8 Feet) The coming generation, Homo-Futurous shall have height of about 3.0 Feets."

So we can conclude Height has & is redcing day-by-day :) That is why early people were so tall.

Actually, in countries like Australia, the average height is increasing with every generation post-WW2. A Roman 2,000 years ago would've been considered tall at 5' 8" , so I'm not sure about this assertion that people are getting shorter ... 

@Sayyed.Dynasty,

lol wat

who is "they" and how have "they" made such an absurd claim? biomass (how big an organism is) is DIRECTLY LINKED to how much it eats. an elephant eats a lot, so is bigger. an ant eats hardly anything, so is tiny.

over the last century humans quality and quantity of food has increased exponentially, not to mention general quality of life for most people (not including extreme poverty). basically humans are eating better food, more often, reproducing more, living longer and softer, so we are bigger than ever before in mankinds history.

you dont even have to go too far back in history to prove my point. look at the medievil british artifacts such as knights armour, how big they were designed, look at the standard size roman armour, look at accounts such as just about any physical historical item that was meant to be worn. show me any place in our history where the average age was over 6 foot tall, its nonsense. people were naturally smaller because they ate less.

Height shouldn't even matter, but....

Q [22]  How tall is Imam Ali (peace be upon him)?
 It was narrated in some history books that he was square-bolded. He was closer to be recognized as short as to be recognized as tall. Other details were not mentioned about this issue.
Edited by Ugly Jinn