Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Wheat Scene In Gladiator Copied From Iranian Film?

Rate this topic

(salam)

As you all know, Gladiator is the best movie that was ever made, or will ever be made.

One of the numerous reasons I enjoyed Gladiator was the innovative and beautiful cinematography throughout the film. One scene in particular, and which I have as a signature, is the wheat-scene at the start, and which we find out towards the end of the film depicts Elysium (sorry for the minor spoiler, but if you haven't watched Gladiator already, you deserve that).

Not sure what it is, but there is something so tranquil, memorable and so damn original about that scene.

However, I recall watching this Iranian film, The Colour of Paradise - a beautiful and moving film in its own right. There was this one scene that instantly stood out to me. There is a scene that looks spot on like the Gladiator scene. My initial reaction was along the lines, Hey! they copied the Gladiator scene!

This quickly subsided when I discovered that the film was made a year before Gladiator :o

Wheat scene in The Colour of Paradise (31:28)

http://youtu.be/2DvrawfJ34U?t=31m28s

Wheat scene in Gladiator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA9hc6E7azM

If Ridley Scott did jack that scene, this has no effect on the greatness of the movie Gladiator of course.

Just thought I'd share this discovery anyway.

That is all.

(salam)

As you all know, Gladiator is the best movie that was ever made, or will ever be made.

Finally, somebody who knows what they're talking about on this forum. It certainly is the bestest movie of all time, without a doubt.

(wasalam)

Finally, somebody who knows what they're talking about on this forum. It certainly is the bestest movie of all time, without a doubt.

(wasalam)

WHAT?! theres more of you?! I have always held gladiator as the greatest film ever!

WHAT?! theres more of you?! I have always held gladiator as the greatest film ever!

Me too. Best movie ever. Even watching that short wheat scene made my heart palpitate  :cry:

We should totally start our own fan club...

(wasalam)

We should totally start our own fan club...

(wasalam)

Totes.

What I loved so much about the film was that Maximus reminded me of what I imagine the imams are kind of like (to a way lesser degree of course). After I watched the movie I wrote a long blog post comparing and contrasting him to Imam Hussain (as) Imam Ali (as) lol. (He even has a 'shia beard'! ) I love that and pretty much everything else about the movie. 

Gladiator is THE movie. It is the greatest, bestest, awesomest, splendidest, fantasticest movie ever made. I think I had seen that movie multiple times over and would still love to watch it again if time permits now.

- At my signal, unleash hell.

Gladiator is THE movie. It is the greatest, bestest, awesomest, splendidest, fantasticest movie ever made. I think I had seen that movie multiple times over and would still love to watch it again if time permits now.

"Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity."

(wasalam)

Sure, Gladiator's a nice quaint film and all.  But the greatest..?  Please, all those fight scenes but not a _single_ lightsaber duel in it.  What type of movie is that!?

l.jpg

Stop spamming, you Starwarrian. All the Star Wars films put together can't even match half the greatness (and I'm being very generous here) of Gladiator. Man, kids say the darndest things...

(wasalam)

Sure, Gladiator's a nice quaint film and all.  But the greatest..?  Please, all those fight scenes but not a _single_ lightsaber duel in it.  What type of movie is that!?

l.jpg

Yeah, it is the greatest. All your lightsabers put together won't match a single dialogue from the Gladiator :P

Shadow and Dust !

I mean it's just people touching wheat.

Isn't it just reflex? When you see wheat or any kind of tall grass, you extend your hand like that and high five them as you pass?

And Gladiator aint the best movie. Science already proved the greatest movie.

Gladiator is good though. Ironically, the less gory TV version is often showed on Iranian TV. Propaganda, if youre a big fan of the movie why not check out the Farsi dub.

I don't mean to go off-topic but since you're praising the movie so much... 

:P

Stop spreading fitnah.

tumblr_mo6mcdGRMP1rglnhto1_500.gif

(wasalam)

Me too. Best movie ever. Even watching that short wheat scene made my heart palpitate  :cry:

gladiator-thumbs-up-o.gif

I too have seen it more than any other movie, it is one of those movies, where, if it is playing right now - I'll gladly sit and watch it through to the end, even though I practically know the script.

Totes.

What I loved so much about the film was that Maximus reminded me of what I imagine the imams are kind of like (to a way lesser degree of course). After I watched the movie I wrote a long blog post comparing and contrasting him to Imam Hussain (as) Imam Ali (as) lol. (He even has a 'shia beard'! ) I love that and pretty much everything else about the movie. 

Interesting take. Also don't forget the wrongful usurpation of power by Commodus (who probably was the best character, as difficult as that is to say given he is the villain), dynastic and corrupt rule and betrayal to Maximum's planned uprising too. Admittedly, that scene where Maximus finds out that everyone has pledged allegiance to Commodus as Caesar despite Marcus Aurelius' wishes, I couldn't help but think of parallels to Saqifah too. :wacko:

As for the non-believers in Gladiator being the true greatest film ever, it isn't too late to accept it as the greatest movie ever. May you be guided.

Lastly, best soundtrack for a movie ever. Even if it is some fictional made up language. It is just beautiful. Especially Now We Are Free.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Gladiator sometimes feels plagiarised; it shares many themes with Braveheart. Braveheart is definitely better!

Not sure about that, but other than the major historical inaccuracies Braveheart was pretty queer. Literally.

http://youtu.be/tHA1ufmLZQY?t=4m18s

Gladiator the best film? Impossible. There were absolutely no instances of sleds symbolizing the enigmatic central character's lost childhood innocence.

what-am-i-reading.jpg

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed