Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Family That Bother You Because Your Religious

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

So the problem is with my mom's side. My mom would never be the religious person she is if it wasnt for my dad. I feel as if this annoyed them to the extent they are always bothering her and my family for being religious. They always joke about her hijab. Or for example, today i went to their house in respect, my mom's brother was like, did you just pray separate or together? I said together because I will be out and I wont have time. So he goes, "Im not afraid of anyone but God, are you? I would pray in the street", in a joking matter downplaying my faith. Once I got serious with him and he ended up apologizing and saying he is joking. But a joke isnt done every second. Or like he says, ohh I hate mullahs, they are money swindlers, or islam "this"... It really really annoys me. I could talk back and get him good, but it doesnt feel right. "SIGH"

This isnt the bulk of it. I have even worse family members who say very nasty things. The sad part is their fathers and forefathers were very very faithful and religious yet they came to america and become like this..

Do any of you have this problem you would like to share?

Wa Salaam

Edited by PureEthics
  • Advanced Member

Well, I would say that alot of people make jokes about religion as long as it's in good faith. For example People on here you can see call eachother Wahabhis and Nasibis, don't they? But they don't really mean it. It's just humour. Your uncle could be humouring you since you live in the States and Hijab is something that strikes out of the ordinary to people living there. Even if he is completely serious one day, then still show respect to him. The family unit is important, there is nothing worse than bad blood. You can pretty much trust me on that. The jokes about Mullahs isn't something new, There are dozens of memes and jokes to go around. But like I said, All in good faith. But I'll agree on one thing, Mullahs from particular sects really are money swindlers :lol: Stay safe.

• Advanced Member

Brother brother brother... I suffer of somewhat a similar problem. My sister and my mother and even my father aren't that religious. They sometimes make fun of me for being so religious. My older sister mocks me for wearing jeans when i pray and that is to fully cover my body so my prayers are accepted. They all listen to music. They don't believe in fate. When a clamity falls upon anyone they start blaming eachother instead of being patient and asking God for guidance. My parents pray but my mom nor my sisters wear hijab and my father has his doubts about religion. He is one of those realistic people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Story of my life!!!!

My very very close relatives make comments like 'your namazz took time, how many did you pray?' 'Get off the Jan'Namaz there's other things to do to'

Or because I dress covered - head to toe well apart from my hands & face.. My cousins often ask me 'don't you feel old in that' or 'it's soo hot change your clothes' 'you can wear half-sleeves you know'

It annoys me not because they are saying all that I'm not bothered.. But they are saying it; people of my own house? So what can I expect from outsiders??

But I just pray to Allah SWA to give me sabr & for them not to have the urge to put me off! Lol

♡ Salammss x

All three of you....

Don't worry, your secular family members are still living in the stupid age of marijuana, hippies and free love. Don't be mad at them, just pray for the lost secular souls of those ignorant ones who follow every trend and fashion like sheep.

It's like old black and white movies when the richest and most successful guy would have the tummy the size of your tractor. Now in 21st century, the most successful guy is the one with flat tummy, chic beard, a healthy smile and looks 10 yrs younger his age. Let those secular Shias live in their small heaven of stupidity and tractor tummy age .. LOLZ

You just follow what you are following with pride because you are walking, talking, living, wearing, eating, thinking, and behaving in the footsteps of the BEST OF THE MANKIND namely Prophet and his holly Ahlulbayt. You are far superior in the eyes of Allah swt than the whole mountains of gold and diamonds that Allah swt has created for you in the heavens.

Be respectful, but expect the same in return. Sometimes for fun, make fun of their sheeplike behavior of blind following of the trends. Again keep your pride in the followers of the BEST intact. Don't be rude. In reality lots of those secular ones feel deprived, less confidant, and lowly in front of the religious people and hence they compensate it by their silly jokes.

Edited by Waiting for HIM
  • Advanced Member

Just ignore their jokes. And I know it's tough when it comes from family, it happens to me as well. Also don't nod yes, but try to change the subject, or be the bigger adult and ask him why he doesn't respect your family's choice when he would kiss his neighbor's hands as a matter of example. Or why he thinks your choices are a joke and that you think it is immature. Kust be the bigger adult and he will feel ashamed

All three of you....

Don't worry, your secular family members are still living in the stupid age of marijuana, hippies and free love. Don't be mad at them, just pray for the lost secular souls of those ignorant ones who follow every trend and fashion like sheep.

It's like old black and white movies when the richest and most successful guy would have the tummy the size of your tractor. Now in 21st century, the most successful guy is the one with flat tummy, chic beard, a healthy smile and looks 10 yrs younger his age. Let those secular Shias live in their small heaven of stupidity and tractor tummy age .. LOLZ

You just follow what you are following with pride because you are walking, talking, living, wearing, eating, thinking, and behaving in the footsteps of the BEST OF THE MANKIND namely Prophet and his holly Ahlulbayt. You are far superior in the eyes of Allah swt than the whole mountains of gold and diamonds that Allah swt has created for you in the heavens.

Be respectful, but expect the same in return. Sometimes for fun, make fun of their sheeplike behavior of blind following of the trends. Again keep your pride in the followers of the BEST intact. Don't be rude. In reality lots of those secular ones feel deprived, less confidant, and lowly in front of the religious people and hence they compensate it by their silly jokes.

This post.

Absolute gold. LOL