Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Izzuddin

My Parents Became One Of Them..

Rate this topic

Asalamu alaikum;

You might remember me back here when I stated that I became a Shiatul Ali and left mainstream Islam. Well, my parents have become some sort of problem now.

My parents have become.. Nasibis. They hate the name Ali, Fatimah, Hassan and Hussain. They try as hard as they can to brainwash me back into mainstream Islam.

My mom went as far as saying that the 12 Imams never existed and it was all made up. My dad is still insisting on Ibn Saba.

I've not mentioned anything about being a Shia to them, yet, they always bring that topic up. As if they were trying to make me confess.

Masha'Allah I've been praying for their hidayah and I just hope they stop doing these kind of things.

(wasalam)

Alhamdulillah we pray for your safety and congratulate you on your guidance and courage to follow it.

The best way to deal with your parents is patience. Always remember that they are constantly fed brainwashed ideas, especially with the current political turmoil. More than becoming defensive or agitated, just smile and look at your parents. Had they not been so brainwashed by the mullahs in mosques, they probably wouldn't be so hard to communicate to, nor would they be so difficult in understanding simple logical concepts.

As for them hating the names of Ahlulbayt (as), sadly this isn't a new thing. The Banu Umayya thousands of years ago would slaughter children named Ali, curse Imam Ali (as) from the pulpits and name their children Ali and Hassan only so they could curse them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tax3dHFQz10

(wasalam)

Brother, I want you to know that you are not alone, Believe me many Followers of the School of Ahlulbayt are been Killed by their Own society because for the love of Imam Ali (A.S). My advice to you, you as a follower, must treat your parents with respect, no matter what nonsense they throw at you and tell you, always talk to them with discipline and logic. If they try to find out about your belief, they try as much as possible to hide it, if you fear that your life maybe at stake, or worse. Remember what Imam Ali (A.S) said:

" Anyone who loves us Ahlul Bayt must be ready to face a life of austerity."
Nahjul Balagha

So my brother if at the end you are forced to tell, or face hardship, Then Be prepared for the worst.
but know this, Allah is with you, the the prophet (pbuh) and his Ahlulbayt (as) will look down upon you.

Imam Muhammad Baqir [a] told Jabir: "Is it enough for a person to (merely) embellish (oneself) as a Shi'ah (follower) by professing love of us, Ahlul-Bayt? Nay! By Allah, a person is not our follower except the one who fears Allah and obeys Him. O' Jabir! Our followers are not recognized save by humility; submission; honesty; praising Allah abundantly; fasting and prayers; filial devotion; attending to the poor, needy, debtors, and orphans who live near him; saying the truth; reciting the Qur'an; withholding the tongue from people except for benediction; and being trustworthy for relatives in any affairs..."

Al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 74

Sulayman-ibn-Mahran said that he visited Imam Sadiq [a] while some of the followers (Shi'ah) were attending him [a] and he heard that the Imam [a], addressing them, said: "(Behave) to be as ornaments for us and not to be against us as shame. Tell people of goodness, and protect your tongues and hold it from excessive talk and offensive speech."

Al-Amali, by Saduq, p. 142

Imam Sadiq [a] said: "Verily, we love those who are wise, perceptive (intelligent), learned, forbearing, patient, reliable, and faithful. Surely, Allah, Almighty and Glorious, favoured Prophets [a] with high morality. Then, he who possesses them may praise Allah for them, but he who does not have them may weep unto Allah, the Almighty and Glorious, and ask Him for them." Jabir humbly asked what they were, and the Imam [a] replied:

"They are: piety, contentment, patient endurance, gratefulness, forbearance, modesty, graciousness, courage, enthusiasm, benevolence, truthfulness, and honesty in deposits."

Al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 56

Imam Baqir [a] said: "... He who obeys Allah is a lover of us, and the one who disobeys Him then he is an enemy for us (AhIul-Bayt)..."

Al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 75

Edited by TheIslamHistory

May Allah give you the patient and power to go through this. May Allah guide them to the straight path. Ahlulbayt should not be hated, it is in Quran to love them. If your parents are turning haters as a reaction to your love, maybe it will be wise to step back and show that you do not belong to Shi'a anymore, Taqqyiah mode?

Asalamu alaikum;

You might remember me back here when I stated that I became a Shiatul Ali and left mainstream Islam. Well, my parents have become some sort of problem now.

My parents have become.. Nasibis. They hate the name Ali, Fatimah, Hassan and Hussain. They try as hard as they can to brainwash me back into mainstream Islam.

My mom went as far as saying that the 12 Imams never existed and it was all made up. My dad is still insisting on Ibn Saba.

I've not mentioned anything about being a Shia to them, yet, they always bring that topic up. As if they were trying to make me confess.

Masha'Allah I've been praying for their hidayah and I just hope they stop doing these kind of things.

mainstream muslims dont hate Ali fatema's name, so it is obvious they are not trying to bring u to mainstream islaam, ur parents are suffering from serious understanding problem if they hate these names.

May Allah give you the patient and power to go through this. May Allah guide them to the straight path. Ahlulbayt should not be hated, it is in Quran to love them. If your parents are turning haters as a reaction to your love, maybe it will be wise to step back and show that you do not belong to Shi'a anymore, Taqqyiah mode?

yes I agree. but be brave if it is raveled brother. YA Allah YA MOHAMMAD YA ALI! Allah grant you courage and Bravery inshalla. 

Edited by TheIslamHistory

yes I agree. but be brave if it is raveled brother. YA Allah YA MOHAMMAD YA ALI! Allah grant you courage and Bravery inshalla. 

I'd rather be wise and considering. Be a sunni that love Ahlulbayt, this may break up some cultural ignorant barriers that the parents may have build between themselves and Ahlulbayt.

May Allah bless all of you who has answered;

I've been under Taqiyyah since I started following the way of the Ahlul-Bayt (as). Sadly, most of the Sunnis of Malaysia have been brainwashed too. I really pray for our unity just as the Sunni madhabs had peace among their own kin.

does your mum deny the existence of imam ali (as) :donno:  or you know, his sons? theyre pretty well known to muslims and non muslims alike of that period. if i remember correctly there are roman dignitaries accounts of meeting with the imam, jewish accounts, farsi (zoroastran?) accounts and christian accounts.

as in, non muslims travelled to the imam (and his sons imam hassan (as) and hussain (as)), conversed with them, went back home and wrote about their meetings, which were then preserved and are present as modern day artifacts.

if you have proof that the first 3 imams definately existed, then if you look at the accounts of karbala, i believe there was a roman delegate in the court of yazeed (LA) who mentioned the presence of the 4th imam imam Ali ibn Hussain Zainul abideen (as), as well as accounts of the 4th imam in sahih bukhari (i believe the hadith states that someone asked to take the sword of the prophet from the imam?)

so thats the first 4 imams existence proven by non muslim sources.

next lets look at the next 2 imams together, imam Muhammad Baaqir and Imam Jafar Saadiq (as). what were they most famous for? the dissemination of knowledge.

we have accounts of the non muslim students of imam jafar sadiq (as) who narrated accounts of him when they returned to western europe etc. not to mention abu hanifa who was his student. by all accounts the 6th imams existence is definately proven. his impact on the world as we know it today is enormous. if only fools knew. no body denies the existence of the 6th imam, so by logic we can also prove the existence of the 5th and 6th imams from non shia sources.

following on from this who do we have? the 7th imam, imam musa kazim (as) and the 8th Imam, Ali ar Ridha (as)

how do we prove that they exist? simple. there is quite frankly no imam with more non muslim witnesses accounts than imam ali al ridha (as). entire books have been written about his debates with atheists, christians, jews, non shia and so on. the people he debated with were quite famous in their respected fields. go ahead and do some cross referencing of names and see what comes up. if we can prove the existence of imam ali al ridha (as), we can definately prove the existence of his father, imam musa kadhim (as), although it is murkier to prove imam kadhim (as) existence by non shia/ muslims, since he spent most of his adult life in prison, and was buried by strangers accompanying his son (i believe?).

the final 4 imams are murkier still, in terms of proving that non muslims wrote accounts of them. this is because due to persecution they were forced to do more and more taqiyya so while there are plenty of solid shia hadiths that these imams existed, there is little by way of non muslim accounts.

so for the final 4 imams, we must look at secondary sources - ie their companions. they each had companions, many of whom are respected by non shia as trustworthy, and if we can prove that these companions existed, and trust their reliability, we can therefore prove of the imams that they frequently mentioned also therefore existed.

so yeah. did the 12 imams exist? and can we prove it from non shia sources? most definately yes.

the more you know ;)

I'd rather be wise and considering. Be a sunni that love Ahlulbayt, this may break up some cultural ignorant barriers that the parents may have build between themselves and Ahlulbayt.

yes Agreed =)

Personally, I just don't understand the mentality of these people. Good thing, I have highly understanding parents who support me through anything. Even when I fell into my Hedonistic phase. But InshAllah, everything worked out.

does your mum deny the existence of imam ali (as) :donno: or you know, his sons? theyre pretty well known to muslims and non muslims alike of that period. if i remember correctly there are roman dignitaries accounts of meeting with the imam, jewish accounts, farsi (zoroastran?) accounts and christian accounts.

as in, non muslims travelled to the imam (and his sons imam hassan (as) and hussain (as)), conversed with them, went back home and wrote about their meetings, which were then preserved and are present as modern day artifacts.

if you have proof that the first 3 imams definately existed, then if you look at the accounts of karbala, i believe there was a roman delegate in the court of yazeed (LA) who mentioned the presence of the 4th imam imam Ali ibn Hussain Zainul abideen (as), as well as accounts of the 4th imam in sahih bukhari (i believe the hadith states that someone asked to take the sword of the prophet from the imam?)

so thats the first 4 imams existence proven by non muslim sources.

next lets look at the next 2 imams together, imam Muhammad Baaqir and Imam Jafar Saadiq (as). what were they most famous for? the dissemination of knowledge.

we have accounts of the non muslim students of imam jafar sadiq (as) who narrated accounts of him when they returned to western europe etc. not to mention abu hanifa who was his student. by all accounts the 6th imams existence is definately proven. his impact on the world as we know it today is enormous. if only fools knew. no body denies the existence of the 6th imam, so by logic we can also prove the existence of the 5th and 6th imams from non shia sources.

following on from this who do we have? the 7th imam, imam musa kazim (as) and the 8th Imam, Ali ar Ridha (as)

how do we prove that they exist? simple. there is quite frankly no imam with more non muslim witnesses accounts than imam ali al ridha (as). entire books have been written about his debates with atheists, christians, jews, non shia and so on. the people he debated with were quite famous in their respected fields. go ahead and do some cross referencing of names and see what comes up. if we can prove the existence of imam ali al ridha (as), we can definately prove the existence of his father, imam musa kadhim (as), although it is murkier to prove imam kadhim (as) existence by non shia/ muslims, since he spent most of his adult life in prison, and was buried by strangers accompanying his son (i believe?).

the final 4 imams are murkier still, in terms of proving that non muslims wrote accounts of them. this is because due to persecution they were forced to do more and more taqiyya so while there are plenty of solid shia hadiths that these imams existed, there is little by way of non muslim accounts.

so for the final 4 imams, we must look at secondary sources - ie their companions. they each had companions, many of whom are respected by non shia as trustworthy, and if we can prove that these companions existed, and trust their reliability, we can therefore prove of the imams that they frequently mentioned also therefore existed.

so yeah. did the 12 imams exist? and can we prove it from non shia sources? most definately yes.

the more you know ;)

I learned a lot on this on, thanks :)

She denies the Imamate of Imam Ali, Hassan and Hussain (peace be upon them) and denies the existence of the other 9 Imam's.

On another account, some older generation Malay Muslims are pretty stubborn. They won't listen to anyone except of their own race and of higher knowledge than them. My parents have their own favourite Imam so they probably won't listen to anyone other than them. Unfortunately, their Imam is also anti-Shia.

It is a shame your parents are so stubborn brother :(

do they deny the existence of abu hanifa? because abu hanifa quite clearly and unambiguously in several instances explained that his teacher was hazrat imam jafar sadiq (as). this quite clearly proves:

(1) that imam jafar sadiq (as) existed

(2) there were "shia" who followed the "imams" before imam jafar sadiq (as), before even the birth of the 4 sunni madhabs

if they wish to argue that abu hanifa did not exist, then ask them about the bukhara ihsan imlo. according to shia and non shia, one of the sons of imam hassan al askiri (as) is someone called Sayyed Ali Akbar. ishan imlo is revered as a (sunni/ sufi?) saint by millions of non shia all over the world. if you believe that such a person as ishan imlo existed, then you must therefore believe that sayyed ali akbar existed, therefore you must therefore accept the existence of imam hassan al askiri (as)...?

do they deny the existence of abu hanifa? because abu hanifa quite clearly and unambiguously in several instances explained that his teacher was hazrat imam jafar sadiq (as). this quite clearly proves:

(1) that imam jafar sadiq (as) existed

(2) there were "shia" who followed the "imams" before imam jafar sadiq (as), before even the birth of the 4 sunni madhabs

if they wish to argue that abu hanifa did not exist, then ask them about the bukhara ihsan imlo. according to shia and non shia, one of the sons of imam hassan al askiri (as) is someone called Sayyed Ali Akbar. ishan imlo is revered as a (sunni/ sufi?) saint by millions of non shia all over the world. if you believe that such a person as ishan imlo existed, then you must therefore believe that sayyed ali akbar existed, therefore you must therefore accept the existence of imam hassan al askiri (as)...?

Unfortunately, my parents are of those people who wants to 'perfect' themselves and leave worldy affairs and just communicate with God. They're kinda Sufi-like w/o the tariqah.

Also, they don't read any hadith. They probably have never even heard of Musnad Ahmad or Muwatta al-Malik. They rely solely on Bukhari and Muslim. So yeah, showing them proofs from books they don't know even exist is gonna be hard. My parentd even refuse the Sahih version of Hadith al-Thaqalayn. They prefer the 'Quran' and 'Sunnah' and that 'Quran' and 'Ahl-Bayt' never existed.

Also, since Ramadan is gonna start soon, our local tv channels will be showing some Hadiths to further brainwash the public. I remember the last 2 years of Ramadan, they kept on repeating about Hadith al-Thaqalayn 'Quran' and 'Sunnah' version and saying the hadith is Sahih since they claim it's from Sahih Bukhari.

I'm feeling a bit certain they are long long relatives of my parents. They share some common traits.

Unfortunately, my parents are of those people who wants to 'perfect' themselves and leave worldy affairs and just communicate with God. They're kinda Sufi-like w/o the tariqah.

Also, they don't read any hadith. They probably have never even heard of Musnad Ahmad or Muwatta al-Malik. They rely solely on Bukhari and Muslim. So yeah, showing them proofs from books they don't know even exist is gonna be hard. My parentd even refuse the Sahih version of Hadith al-Thaqalayn. They prefer the 'Quran' and 'Sunnah' and that 'Quran' and 'Ahl-Bayt' never existed.

Also, since Ramadan is gonna start soon, our local tv channels will be showing some Hadiths to further brainwash the public. I remember the last 2 years of Ramadan, they kept on repeating about Hadith al-Thaqalayn 'Quran' and 'Sunnah' version and saying the hadith is Sahih since they claim it's from Sahih Bukhari.

Well brother, my parents are quite like that, maybe slightly better in terms of relying on ahadith and hadith books. They probably haven't heard of the plethora of ahadith books that Sunnis have besides the Sihah Sitta, but they're as adamant as your parents are. I have come to believe that even if the Holy Prophet (s) were to come alive and personally tell them that Shias are the guided ones, they would still want to follow the idiotic garbage of the local venon spewing mullah.

By the way, I quite certain of the fact that the 'Quran and Sunnah' version of the hadith is nowhere to be found in Sahih Bukhari. I'm 99.99% sure about this. In fact, Sahih Muslim quotes the 'Quran and Ahlulbayt' version which you can use it as a counterargument.

I can understand the helplessness you're feeling right now. I've always felt it myself too but now I'm away from home and that gives me some peace of mind. I don't even look forward going home in my vacation. Just want to escape all the circus that follows when I'm there. Some of us converts lead such sad lives, we can't be with our family, the distance between parents, relatives, cousins grows by the day. It surely does hurt a lot. Like hell. But in'sha Allah, it is all worth it.

We didn't become Shias for them, so we must consciously try to put their criticisms aside. I know it is easier said than done, but that's the only way I suppose. I had never seen my father cry in front of me, but I still remember we he broke down completely on learning I've become that rafidhi. My mother wept by the buckets. I was abused verbally, called names, my friends were cursed, things got said about the latter Imams (a.s) but I still tried to keep things cordial between my parents and me. Bro, that is just how this life is and how people are tested.

My advice to you would be to start packing your bags and get out of that country as and when an opportunity arises.

Asalamu alaikum;

Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq عليه السلام has said: "Our Cause is difficult; the only ones able to bear it are a prophet sent by God, an angel of Proximity, and a faithful believer whose heart has been tested by God for faith." (Basa'ir ad-Darajat)

(wasalam)

Your parents are very ignorant. Perhaps you should give them some reading materials. I would start with giving them the book Shia Islam by Allamah Tabatabai. It's online somewhere. If they refuse to read, then you should ask them if they are just opposed to reading as they are to thinking. :wacko:

Never reveal to them that you are a Shia until you are independent or ready to move out of the house.

Edited by Gypsy

Your parents are very ignorant. Perhaps you should give them some reading materials. I would start with giving them the book Shia Islam by Allamah Tabatabai. It's online somewhere. If they refuse to read, then you should ask them if they are just opposed to reading as they are to thinking. :wacko:

Never reveal to them that you are a Shia until you are independent or ready to move out of the house.

That reminds me when my parents wanted to read some Shia books, I asked a mullah I knew, to suggest some. My parents read Urdu and I thought it is best to give them from the numerous Urdu books available in the library. This mullah bravely goes and picks up a few books which will 'enlighten' my parents and clearly show them the way.

My mom picked a lot of rubbish from that book, I don't recall everything now but one thing was about Imam Hasan (a.s) have multiple wives (70 or so) as stated in that book. And my parents were asking me later - is this the kind of Islam you want to follow?

I was so embarrassed by the entire thing. I was fairly new to Shiism at that time and did not even hear about such an accusation on the Imam. I obviously couldn't refute it, so I just left it at that. I never looked so stupid in my life.

My advice and suggestion if I'm handing over a book to somebody would be to read it first and get myself acquainted with the content, than face such situations which takes your credibility away. 

Well then, gotta save a lot of money to leave this place.

Though, here's a good news. I talked to one of my friend and she agreed on doing a little bit of research on Shia. She's still a Sunni but she's supporting me im my decision on being a Shi'i

I remember when I was in my first month being a Shi'i. I was clueless. Without any doubts I did a diff version of wudu and namaz in front of my friends and family. I kept shouting "Ya Ali!" in front of everyone at school. Didn't even know Taqiyyah existed.

Btw, thank you guys for all this. Much appreciated. I'll try and start a convo when things go smooth between the Shia-Sunni relation. I'm trying to 'cleanse' myself in the last days of Sha'ban and prep for Ramadan.

Hope you guys do the same too, Peace and blessings be upon you and your family.