Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ziarat In Cairo

Rate this topic

Last week i went for ziarat in cairo, visiting the shrines of sayida zainab, sayida sukaina, sayida nafisa, and sayidna hussain

sayida zainab from outside. there is a likelihood that this could be her actual burial place, as she lived in egypt the last period of her life. In wikipedia they say: 

Some of the history related with Zaynab's last days is quoted here from news/web sources,[2] which reveals that Zaynab died in Cairo and her shrine is also in Cairo:

"Yazid ... ordered ... dispersion of Ahl Al Bayt ... The governor ... Medina asked Zainab to leave ... city. .. She chose Egypt, and arrived ... in Sha’aban of 61 AH ... was received by the governor, Mouslima Ben Makhled Al Ansari, and by a mass of Muslims, ... to Al Fastat (the capital of Egypt).

Mouslima invited her ... at his place ... She remained in her residence almost a year (11 months and 10 days) without leaving until her death, on Sunday 14 Rajab 62 H/March 27th, 682 A. D, in a place called “Al Hamrae Al Qoswa”, ... where the mausoleum of Zainab is currently located. It became a large mosque ... renamed “the district of Sayeeda Zainab”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaynab_bint_Ali#Zaynab_and_History_of_her_last_days

Allahu Aalam

anyway, here is the mosque from outside:

post-92859-0-77285400-1372367831_thumb.j

and the shrine:

post-92859-0-94867400-1372367842_thumb.j

post-92859-0-95391500-1372367850_thumb.j

post-92859-0-94791400-1372367866_thumb.j

then i went to visit the shrine of sayida sukaina, who is the little daughter of imam hussain, that passed away in a dungeon in damascus. i am quite sure that she is not buried in egypt, as there is plenty of evidence pointing that she is buried in damascus. in the 19th century they even moved her body due to water damage, and supposedly found it unaltered.

but still i enjoyed going and ironically there were kids running around that shrine

post-92859-0-61658300-1372367872_thumb.j

post-92859-0-44294700-1372367880_thumb.j

post-92859-0-56134200-1372367915_thumb.j

there was even a cool cat chilling there

post-92859-0-49007200-1372368715_thumb.j

post-92859-0-30522900-1372368721_thumb.j

then we moved on to sayida nefisa mosque. now this lady is the really the most legendary ahl bayt rep in egypt. during her years there, she has really created a big fan base. this is where shaikh mohamed hassan shihata had his funeral prayer 3 days ago. 

sayida nafisa at- tahra is daughter of al-Hasan al-Anwar, the son of Zaid al-Ablaj, son of al-Imam al-Hasan (as).

she is known to have performed more than a hundred documented miracles, and she is widely loved. sunis actually go to her shrine to seek healing and intercession from her. especially sufi like her.

there is an article written by sunis that writes quite a lot about her:

http://www.sunnah.org/history/Scholars/nafisa_at_tahira.htm

anyway, here are some pics:

post-92859-0-52342300-1372368725_thumb.j

post-92859-0-16862300-1372368740_thumb.j

post-92859-0-23899900-1372368745_thumb.j

post-92859-0-27815500-1372368749_thumb.j

post-92859-0-40992700-1372368753_thumb.j

i didn't take pics at the hussain ras al sharif mosque and shrine (this time), because it was a tad bit too intense, walhamdulilah.

by the way, if anybody has info about sayida nafisa, please share it. thanks.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Thank you brother for sharing! Looks exactly the same since I went =)

I was just going to say that, Alhumdulilah these sites look unchanged despite the turmoil outside their doors. 

Coincidentally, I met a faculty member of Cairo University today and began reminiscing about the time I've spent in Egypt, particularly Cairo. It wasn't long before the conversation took a more interesting direction and we were having a very engaging theological discussion. After a while, as we were parting, the Egyptian turned back and asked me hesitantly whether I was Sunni. I replied I was Shia and it was as though I had thrown a pie on her face. She opened her mouth, forced a smile and muttered something about being very late and left so fast as if she was on fire! As much as Egypt has a lot to offer with its breathtaking architecture and rich history, one thing I will never miss is how everybody from the bazaar shopkeepers to the airport officials react when they realise you're a Shia. 

Edited by *Sayyeda*
  • Veteran Member

I went to the masjid of Hussain a.s in Old Cairo before, it is claimed his head alone is buried there, but this isn't accepted and it was probably another person with the same name or such. Also Imam Hussain's head was taken to Damascus before being reunited with his body in Karbala and not Fustat/Cairo.

The old part especially Khan elKhalili is the best part though, love the old architecture and the fusion of different masajid reflective of the different dynasties and rulers, like Abbasid, Fatimid, Ayuubid, Seljuk, Ottoman, etc.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was just going to say that, Alhumdulilah these sites look unchanged despite the turmoil outside their doors.

Coincidentally, I met a faculty member of Cairo University today and began reminiscing about the time I've spent in Egypt, particularly Cairo. It wasn't long before the conversation took a more interesting direction and we were having a very engaging theological discussion. After a while, as we were parting, the Egyptian turned back and asked me hesitantly whether I was Sunni. I replied I was Shia and it was as though I had thrown a pie on her face. She opened her mouth, forced a smile and muttered something about being very late and left so fast as if she was on fire! As much as Egypt has a lot to offer with its breathtaking architecture and rich history, one thing I will never miss is how everybody from the bazaar shopkeepers to the airport officials react when they realise yo7u're a Shia.

(salam)

It's certainly interesting because I went with my bohra family (who follow the ismaili lineage) & of course are still considered shia to sunnis. However, what it seems to me is that because of the dai's authority, the Egyptian authorities have allowed for them to run the shrine of hazrat malik ul ashtar (ra) and have their own Jamaat khana (like a hotel type thing).

When we were there, the taxi drivers knew my family were shia but we had no problems then. I assume things have changed rapidly since.

Edited by Labbayk
  • Advanced Member

Wonderful views.

As you say, Bibi Sakina is probably not buried at that site - but in any case, it is a place sacred to her name, her heritage, and the memory of her.

I really like the pics, and especially those of the cat! He looks very charming.

When I was in Cairo, I visited the mosque sacred as a resting place of the head of Imam Hussayn. Again, this is a traditional link, and may be no more than legend. But it is a holy place.

• Veteran Member

I was also in Cairo not too long ago, there are other sites of ziarat:

Ruqayya bint Ali - It is on the road between sayeda Nafisa and the Sukayna Mosque - I couldn't find any info on her, but not doubt Imam Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã did have at least one daughter by that name.

Ali bin Ja'far - Next to Ruqayya, historian gives 3 locations for his resting place, none cite Cairo

A'isha bint Ja'far - Also quite near sayeda Nafisa, info about her isn't clear as well, most sources say that the Imam didn't have daughter by that name, altough some do.

Atika - Supposedly the aunt of the Prophet (s) - Next to Ali bin Ja'far - I doubt this is authentic as the grave doesn't say she is the daughter of Abdul Muttalib

Muhammad bin Abi Bakr - His remains are in a box buried in a mosque called 'Masjid Muhammad al-Saghir' it is in Coptic Cairo, quite close to the Amr ibn al-As mosque.

Zayn al-Abideen - Some Shi'a that I met in Egypt say it is where the head of Zayd bin Ali was brought for a bried time, I found a web site that said that as well.

There is also Malik al-Ashtar somewhere near by, there is a thread about that from a couple of years ago.

I'll try and post some pictures at a later time insha'Allah

(Umar's jewsih rabbi Ka'ab al-Ahbar is buried quite near sayeda Zaynab - if anyone cares)

Edited by Ali_Hussain

^^ interesting thanks

Wonderful views.

As you say, Bibi Sakina is probably not buried at that site - but in any case, it is a place sacred to her name, her heritage, and the memory of her.

I really like the pics, and especially those of the cat! He looks very charming.

When I was in Cairo, I visited the mosque sacred as a resting place of the head of Imam Hussayn. Again, this is a traditional link, and may be no more than legend. But it is a holy place.

yes it is nice to remember and get in touch. thanks a lot

I went to the masjid of Hussain a.s in Old Cairo before, it is claimed his head alone is buried there, but this isn't accepted and it was probably another person with the same name or such. Also Imam Hussain's head was taken to Damascus before being reunited with his body in Karbala and not Fustat/Cairo.

The old part especially Khan elKhalili is the best part though, love the old architecture and the fusion of different masajid reflective of the different dynasties and rulers, like Abbasid, Fatimid, Ayuubid, Seljuk, Ottoman, etc.

hey bro can you tell me why it is not acceptable? 

yeah khan el khalili is nice and representative of a true old islamic town. i like the remnants of the walls and gates, and even shia mosques left. of course they are only shia in history and architecture, while the imams are all suni.

(salam)

Coincidentally, I met a faculty member of Cairo University today and began reminiscing about the time I've spent in Egypt, particularly Cairo. It wasn't long before the conversation took a more interesting direction and we were having a very engaging theological discussion. After a while, as we were parting, the Egyptian turned back and asked me hesitantly whether I was Sunni. I replied I was Shia and it was as though I had thrown a pie on her face. She opened her mouth, forced a smile and muttered something about being very late and left so fast as if she was on fire! As much as Egypt has a lot to offer with its breathtaking architecture and rich history, one thing I will never miss is how everybody from the bazaar shopkeepers to the airport officials react when they realise you're a Shia. 

yes many are ignorant and brain washed by anti-shia media from early childhood. hopefully it will get better soon in sha Allah

(wasalam)

Thank you brother for sharing! Looks exactly the same since I went =)

welcome brother. yes may Allah protect those sites from the salafis :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Here are some of the pictures I took for my ziarat to Muhammad bin Abi Bakr (ra)

1016831_328771423921442_971722408_n.jpg

Masjid Muhammad al-Saghir

1044975_328771587254759_2059584532_n.jpg

1001760_328771643921420_1474649857_n.jpg

After I took this, the caretaker came up to me and asked me if I wanted to go inside, then he opened the gate, and lifted it up, there was a box underneath it, I asked if his head was in there, the caretaker said he head and feet were in there. (So i'm not sure how authentic this is, why didn't they bury what was left of him? Although there is a chance that I misunderstood what the guy was saying)

1045072_328771680588083_1516578149_n.jpg

Edited by Ali_Hussain
  • Forum Administrators

There is also Malik al-Ashtar somewhere near by, there is a thread about that from a couple of years ago.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234994688-malik-al-ashtar-ziarat/

• Advanced Member
On 6/27/2013 at 8:07 PM, *Sayyeda* said:

(salam)

As much as Egypt has a lot to offer with its breathtaking architecture and rich history, one thing I will never miss is how everybody from the bazaar shopkeepers to the airport officials react when they realise you're a Shia. 

I thought this happened only in Saudia.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

On 7/6/2013 at 1:04 PM, Jamal Al Hasan said:

Why tell them ? practice taqiyyah at such places.

When you attend some of these ziyarah sites, it's obvious you're a Shia to the natives. There are many other indications. Also if you don't think your life is in danger at the time I don't think taqiyah would apply. 

On 7/6/2013 at 1:00 PM, Rashida said:

I thought this happened only in Saudia.

Unfortunately not. I find Egypt to be the worst culprit after Saudi. 

• 1 year later...