Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sayedamir2000

Why You Should Pray Salat-Ul-Layl?

Rate this topic

I once asked my cousin why should I pray salatul layl if i don't think im ready for that yet. Meaning if I dont think I am completing my wajib and haram to satisfaction, (no offence but) will there be any use to pray salatul layl?

I once asked my cousin why should I pray salatul layl if i don't think im ready for that yet. Meaning if I dont think I am completing my wajib and haram to satisfaction, (no offence but) will there be any use to pray salatul layl?

There's more than any use to pray salatul layl, once you have done it many times you start to understand its meaning and its core. If you are concerned about your sins then salatu layl is great opportunity for it, since one of its part is istgihfar. What comes for humbleness it also increases that. Everything depends on the intention if you don't have intention to do it then it's like a candle without light which should light the dark place. Whenever you have intention I highly recommend doing it, since with intention comes sincerity and with sincerity comes firm good deeds.

Brother you can still do your mustahab deeds/amaals while you do your wajib.

You have also good point about being ready for salatul layl. But you know it when it is time by Will of Allah (SWT).

Wallah I am not joking and I swear upon my life that as soon as I start routinely praying Salat Layl, I see small miracles in my day and everything about my life becomes better. I was a heavy sinner and the day I began praying it, my conscience did not let me do anything haraam and I immediately felt Allah (swt) all around me.

Now that I have stopped praying because I don't wake up in time, I am drifting back into the sea of sin. iA pray for me to regain my strength.

JazakAllah.

Wallah I am not joking and I swear upon my life that as soon as I start routinely praying Salat Layl, I see small miracles in my day and everything about my life becomes better. I was a heavy sinner and the day I began praying it, my conscience did not let me do anything haraam and I immediately felt Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì all around me.

Now that I have stopped praying because I don't wake up in time, I am drifting back into the sea of sin. iA pray for me to regain my strength.

JazakAllah.

(salam) brother

I'm very happy that you testified the truth and the effects of salat-ul-layl and what I have bolded in your saying is how the humbleness will start eventually building up in your soul :)

(salam) brother

I'm very happy that you testified the truth and the effects of salat-ul-layl and what I have bolded in your saying is how the humbleness will start eventually building up in your soul :)

Alaykum Salaam. What do you mean brother?

Alaykum Salaam. What do you mean brother?

Wa aleikum salam brother. What I mean is that when you keep praying salat-ul-layl as you stated you stopped doing haram acts, while you did so and felt presence of Allah (SWT) you build that humbleness in your self, as long as you keep building it (humbleness) stronger your soul start to absorb it to such level that you don't want to let it go. Its like for example a person who used to didn't care much about eating haram food but once he/she started to understand the real effect of eating haram that person starts to eat halal food only and later on that habit have grown so strong that even temptation of haram food in his/her eyes would not effect him.

Wa aleikum salam brother. What I mean is that when you keep praying salat-ul-layl as you stated you stopped doing haram acts, while you did so and felt presence of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì you build that humbleness in your self, as long as you keep building it (humbleness) stronger your soul start to absorb it to such level that you don't want to let it go. Its like for example a person who used to didn't care much about eating haram food but once he/she started to understand the real effect of eating haram that person starts to eat halal food only and later on that habit have grown so strong that even temptation of haram food in his/her eyes would not effect him.

Ahh that clarifies it. Yes I see what you mean.

It is the absolute best thing (in my opinion) that a sinner can do to get themselves back on track.

I remember a hadith about an Alim telling a person that didn't even pray his wajibaat to please wake up one day and pray Salat Layl for him. The man did so and when he looked in the mirror while doing wudhu his entire life changed and he became extremely pious. If you want the source, I can try to find it, but its really the message that matters.

Thanks for the list of benefits brother.

JazakAllah.

Ahh that clarifies it. Yes I see what you mean.

It is the absolute best thing (in my opinion) that a sinner can do to get themselves back on track.

I remember a hadith about an Alim telling a person that didn't even pray his wajibaat to please wake up one day and pray Salat Layl for him. The man did so and when he looked in the mirror while doing wudhu his entire life changed and he became extremely pious. If you want the source, I can try to find it, but its really the message that matters.

Thanks for the list of benefits brother.

JazakAllah.

That would be very great brother if you can put the link here so that also others who are interested may read it :)

Salam,

Would have been nice to start the 'Salat ul Layl' motivation group.

Some of us on SC had started a 40 days Dua Ahad motivation group from Ashura till Arbaeen. For some, this Dua stuck to us so far.

Ramadhan was the best time to start the Salat ul Layl motivational group. Next time inshaAllah.

Al shiekh abd al hameed al muhajir said, if you pray salat al layl, you won't be lonely in your grave and you won't have a grave punishment. Allah will say, you didn't forget about me even at night, today I won't forget you. Instaghfarallah if this is untrue, but Allah is merciful so he would definitely say something like that.

I am on day 68 of praying salatul lay... this is probably the single most beneficial act I've done and the effects of it are quite amazing... however to truly maximize it's benefits it really should be accompanied with dropping all sins and start doing all wajibats. would also recommend eating less (not to the fill of your stomach and only when hungry), and reading minimum 50 verses of Quran each day (with meaning).

Sins spoil the effects and make it difficult to pray and enjoy salatul layl, which eventually results in person either dropping salatul layl all together, or in the minority of cases dropping all sins. The two really can't go together.

There is also a lot of pleasure and joy to be found in this prayer, but it comes through lots of struggle with your self (nafs), and may come rarely and not all the time.

If you are just starting out, it may be difficult, but stick through it for 2-3 weeks and inshAllah you'll see the results. after all the wajibats, salatul layl is probably the most significant prayer/deed one can perform in terms of individual worship.

Salam,

Some of us on SC had started a 40 days Dua Ahad motivation group from Ashura till Arbaeen. For some, this Dua stuck to us so far.

Ramadhan was the best time to start the Salat ul Layl motivational group. Next time inshaAllah.

you can still start it now... why wait till next year... the present moment is the best time for any good work, never tomorrow.

Salam,

I would be down to join in. Would you care to organize agha?

Also: Read 50 ayat of the day, with the niya´ that the blessing is a gift to al Qaim [aj]...

- Ayatollah Wahed Khorsani

You can listen to what he [ha] said. Just click on the video, and you will go direct to the place where he said it.

http://youtu.be/22jMpCXCEds?t=11m4s

'

Brother this was just simply awesome, thanks soooooo much for sharing this... if you know any other lectures with practical instructions like these, please post those as well... i ended up listening to the whole lecture, just awesome. Thanks, and jazakAllah khair!

Also: Read 50 ayat of the day, with the niya´ that the blessing is a gift to al Qaim [aj]...

- Ayatollah Wahed Khorsani

You can listen to what he [ha] said. Just click on the video, and you will go direct to the place where he said it.

http://youtu.be/22jMpCXCEds?t=11m4s

'

Ashant.. May Allah swt bless you.

Iltemase dua'

(bismillah)

(salam)

Another tip for starting up- although this has less merit, you can still pray salatul layl after "midnight" if you have trouble waking up early. "Midnight" in the winter months (if you live in the northern hemisphere) translates to some time after 11pm. I have the times for Toronto (Can) and London (UK), for Nov and Dec below:

Toronto:

65bciw.jpg

2yxevxl.jpg

London UK:

2141gsy.jpg

143gf2e.jpg

(salam)

There are many verses of the Holy Qur’an which talk about the importance of Salatul Layl. These verses describe it as the practice of the pious people, and the means to attain closeness to Allah. Those who wish to attain this nearness forego a part of their sleep, and wake up early to seek forgiveness from Allah. They sacrifice their sleep and comfort for the pleasure of reciting Salatul Layl. In many verses of the Qur’an, Allah enjoins the rising by the night for glorification and worship of Allah. He says:

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَسَبِّحْهُ وَإِدْبَارَ النُّجُومِ

And in the night, give Him glory too, and at the setting of the stars (52:49)

He also says:

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَاسْجُدْ لَهُ وَسَبِّحْهُ لَيْلًا طَوِيلاً

And during part of the night adore Him, and give glory to Him (for a) long (part of the) night (76:26)

Allah says about those who rise at night:

كَانُوا قَلِيلاً مِّنَ اللَّيْلِ مَا يَهْجَعُونَ

وَبِالْأَسْحَارِ هُمْ يَسْتَغْفِرُونَ

They used to sleep but little in the night. And in the early part of the morning they asked forgiveness. (51: 16-17)

In another verse He says:

تَتَجَافَى جُنُوبُهُمْ عَنِ الْمَضَاجِعِ يَدْعُونَ رَبَّهُمْ خَوْفًا وَطَمَعًا وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنفِقُونَ فَلاَ تَعْلَمُ نَفْسٌ مَّا أُخْفِيَ لَهُم مِّن قُرَّةِ أَعْيُنٍ جَزَاءً بِمَا كَانُوا يَعْمَلُونَ

Their sides draw away from (their) beds, they call upon their Lord in fear and in hope, and they spend (benevolently) out of what We have given them So no soul knows what is hidden for them of that which will refresh the eyes; a reward for what they did. (32: 16-17)

Therefore, the reward for those who rise by night to glorify Allah cannot be described. As the Holy Prophet (s) has said: There is no good deed except that its reward has been outlined in the Qur’an, except Salatul Layl. Almighty Allah has not specified its reward due to its greatness with Him.

In yet another verse Allah describes the effect of reciting Salatul Layl for the believer. He says:

وَمِنَ اللَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهِ نَافِلَةً لَّكَ عَسَى أَن يَبْعَثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَامًا مَّحْمُودًا

And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a position of great glory. (17:79)

In this verse Almighty Allah describes the extraordinary spiritual effects of reciting Salatul layl. It raises the human being to Maqame Mahmood, a position of glory and praise. It is an elevated position with Allah, one that few people can attain.

During the day numerous affairs occupy the time and mind of the human being. In the midst of all this preoccupation, it is difficult to have the peace of mind and heart so necessary for good worship. But at night when it is dark and silent, when the demands of the material world are quiet for a while, the human being can acquire a tranquil state which allows him to be in harmony with his Creator.

It is at this time that the human being acquires a special state of mind and energy which is very conducive to increasing his spirituality and strengthening the connection with his Creator. That is why the friends of Allah, and those who seek nearness to Him, always make the most of the last part of the night. They purify their souls, enliven their hearts, strengthen their will, and perfect their sincerity, through worship at this special time.

Salatul Layl is thus one of the most effective ways of achieving closeness to Allah. That is why Allah says in Sura al-Muzammil (#73):

إِنَّ نَاشِئَةَ اللَّيْلِ هِيَ أَشَدُّ وَطْءًا وَأَقْوَمُ قِيلاً

Surely the rising by night is the firmest way to tread and the best corrective of speech. (73:6)

Source: http://www.al-islam.org/salatul-layl-h-t-kassamali/holy-qur%E2%80%99-salatul-layl

(wasalam)