Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Lulu Cee

Is It Haram To Marry Alawites ?

Rate this topic

I'm getting married to an alawite but I've herd from friends and families there kufars ?! He seems to know more about religion and the ahlul bayt then me but I worry it might not be allowed. Can some one please verify for me

Jazakallah kheir :))

Alawites generally believe and practice different things, so here are some questions you should ask him before you marry him:

1. Does he believe in reincarnation?

2. Does he believe that Ali, Muhammad (pbuh), and Salman were divine embodiments of God?

3. Does he practice the pillars of Islam? (Praying, fasting, Hajj, zakat - if applicable- ?)

4. If he does practice, then does he do so according to the Sunni schools or the Ja`fari school?

5. Does he believe that Muhammad b. Nusayr was a prophet?

6. Does he drink or eat forbidden substances, such as alcohol?

7. Does he celebrate and commemorate Christmas, Easter, and other holidays?

`Alawis are known to trespass in some or all of these things, but not always. Some, over the last decade, have come closer to Shiism due to our da`wa in Syria. Some of the older generation however may practice closer to Sunnis (praying with hands crossed, etc.) If he does not trespass in these things, ask him why he does not convert to orthodox Twelver Shiism. But if he does trespass in these things, I do not recommend you marry him.

If he is a traditional Alawi, then yes it's haram because they are kafir. if not, and what Qa'im says is true that some of them have come closer to Twelverism, then it may be halal. However it's always best to marry another Twelver Muslim.

Unfortunately, the way this term 'Alawite' is used by the Western press creates alot of confusion.

It is an anglecized version of the term 'Alawiyya'. In Arabic, this term has two meanings. It can mean both 'of Ali' meaning someone connected to Imam Ali(a.s) in a general sense(or a specific sense, i.e. a descendant of Imam Ali(a.s)), or it refers to a specific sub-sect within the religions of Syria. The second meaning is the one most commonly used and understood amoung Arabic speaking people in the area. The Western media uses the terms 'Alawite' and 'Shia' interchangeably to refer to the same group of people when actually there is a very big difference between the two groups and actually, traditionally, these two group have not gotten along very well. It is only within the last few years, as they are both under attack by the Takfiri militants, that they have cooperated in a limited way.

There are both Alawiyya and Shia who live in Syria. Alawiyya are by far the smaller sect in terms of numbers but they have influence disproportionate to their numbers because the Assad family, which has ruled Syria for more than 30 years, is Alawiyya. The traditional Alawiyya have strange beliefs which actually places them outside of Islam (believing the Imam Ali(a.s) is divine in addition to some other strange beliefs listed above). They are descendants of the Ghulat(extremists) which were around during the time of Imam Ali(a.s) when he was in Kufa in Iraq. They were expelled from Iraq by Imam Ali(a.s) himself and he executed some of them and the remaining ones fled to Syria. In recent years, some Alawiy have become Shia. Also, I have heard, that in recent years some members of the Assad family have become Shia and are no longer practicing the Alawiy beliefs.

BTW, to the OPs question. If the man believes Imam Ali(a.s) or any of the companions to be more than human beings(i.e. divine in any way), then this person is not a muslim and thus it is haram to marry him.

Edited by Abu Hadi

I think there's a lot of ignorance about Alawites. I personally believe they are badly misunderstood. I've prayed with them by accident in Syria when i entered their mosque for ju-ma prayer . their azan and prayer were identical to shia ways. I don't believe they think Imam Ali (as) is god or the Imams but they believe that they are manifestations of him. Same way the early Christians believed of Jesus. (as) Also Imam Khomeini( ra) recognised them and the Alevis of Turkey as shias .I think they are Muslims but i could be wrong.

I think there's a lot of ignorance about Alawites. I personally believe they are badly misunderstood. I've prayed with them by accident in Syria when i entered their mosque for ju-ma prayer . their azan and prayer were identical to shia ways. I don't believe they think Imam Ali (as) is god or the Imams but they believe that they are manifestations of him. Same way the early Christians believed of Jesus. (as) Also Imam Khomeini( ra) recognised them and the Alevis of Turkey as shias .I think they are Muslims but i could be wrong.

Allah(.s.w.a) cannot become 'manifest' as a human being or anything else. The infinite cannot be contained wholly or partially in the finite. That is the central tenant of Islam, Tauhid. Any person who calls themselves a muslim but believes in something other than Tauhid is not a muslim, if fact, according to teaching of the Prophet(p.b.u.h) and Ahl Al Bayt(a.s).

Not just the early Christian, also most comtemporary Christians believe this about Jesus(a.s). We, as muslim, believe they are wrong (about this belief).

Imam Ali(a.s) famously said ( I will get the source if requested)

"There are two groups of people whom I disavow and whom I dissociate myself with a strong disassociation. They are first, the people who deny my right (of Wilayat and Imamate over the muslim community) and second, those who elevate my status beyond what it is (try to make me something more than a human being and servant of Allah(s.w.a)). "

Edited by Abu Hadi

Alawites generally believe and practice different things, so here are some questions you should ask him before you marry him:

1. Does he believe in reincarnation?

2. Does he believe that Ali, Muhammad (pbuh), and Salman were divine embodiments of God?

3. Does he practice the pillars of Islam? (Praying, fasting, Hajj, zakat - if applicable- ?)

4. If he does practice, then does he do so according to the Sunni schools or the Ja`fari school?

5. Does he believe that Muhammad b. Nusayr was a prophet?

6. Does he drink or eat forbidden substances, such as alcohol?

7. Does he celebrate and commemorate Christmas, Easter, and other holidays?

`Alawis are known to trespass in some or all of these things, but not always. Some, over the last decade, have come closer to Shiism due to our da`wa in Syria. Some of the older generation however may practice closer to Sunnis (praying with hands crossed, etc.) If he does not trespass in these things, ask him why he does not convert to orthodox Twelver Shiism. But if he does trespass in these things, I do not recommend you marry him.

why is it that you have read already about real alawi and what we belive but you still persist that we think all the things stated above astaghfirullah those thoughts come from a jew and all the rest the sunni made up about us and also that sunni think they can sleep with our girls and they go to heaven and the funniest we think we come from stars people are so blind these days.

Their books have been posted on the web now , they can not hide their beliefs anymore .

But there is a lot ignorance among Nusayris not everyone that say he is 'Alawi' holds the same belief as those ghulat , but they are ones now for sure that do .

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, محب الغدير said:

Their books have been posted on the web now , they can not hide their beliefs anymore .

But there is a lot ignorance among Nusayris not everyone that say he is 'Alawi' holds the same belief as those ghulat , but they are ones now for sure that do .

Do you have the link where we could read these books on internet ?