Sign in to follow this  
Modest Muslim

Insulting The Companions

Rate this topic

Why do some Shia Muslims insist on cursing, abusing and insulting the Companions? I think it's not fine to do so. According to the verdict issued by Imam Khamenei, we shouldn't insult the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his descendants).

What do you all say?

Why do some Shia Muslims insist on cursing, abusing and insulting the Companions? I think it's not fine to do so. According to the verdict issued by Imam Khamenei, we shouldn't insult the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his descendants).

What do you all say?

because they prefer to follow Majlisi and Kulayni over Imam Khamenei.

Anyways, I appreciate what you are doing.

Edited by Abul Hussain Hassani

What do you all say?

Well, even those who do insist on cursing, abusing, and insulting the companions are quite selective (i.e. they are not speaking ill of all the companions, a few notable ones). As far as cursing goes (in terms of sending lanat on those certain companions), it is unacceptable it appears from the view of Imam Khamenei (that is if he is considered to be your source for religious knowledge). For others, they base their actions on the ahadith coming down from the Infallible Imams of the Ahl al-Bayt [as]. Whether or not you accept those narrations as authentic or such (or choose to place them within their proper context) is up to you, but there is textual evidence to support their practice.

(wasalam)

Well, even those who do insist on cursing, abusing, and insulting the companions are quite selective (i.e. they are not speaking ill of all the companions, a few notable ones). As far as cursing goes (in terms of sending lanat on those certain companions), it is unacceptable it appears from the view of Imam Khamenei (that is if he is considered to be your source for religious knowledge). For others, they base their actions on the ahadith coming down from the Infallible Imams of the Ahl al-Bayt [as]. Whether or not you accept those narrations as authentic or such (or choose to place them within their proper context) is up to you, but there is textual evidence to support their practice.

(wasalam)

When our Imams spoke ill of the Companions, it was the time when all the Muslims used to speak ill of Ahl al Bayt. Nobody does that now and a few people who hate them are hated by the majority of the Muslims. If our Imams were present as human beings here in this world today, they would've forbidden insult of the Companions. We can say that because we see Qur'an, the Prophet (peace be upon him and his descendants) and Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (peace be upon him) saying, doing and ordering the same.

1) In Q. 6:108, God says:

'And do not insult those they invoke other than God lest they insult God in enmity without knowledge...'

Here God wants us not to insult those whom non-Muslims worship. Similarly, we're not allowed to insult those whom Sunni Muslims revere so much that they call them their caliphs.

2) We see that Prophet Muhammad kept Abu Bakr, Umar and Usman close to him. If he wanted, he could easily say, 'I know what's in your heart. I know that you don't actually believe in what I've brought. Leave me and go away.' He did not do so rather he kept them close to him. He married their daughters and gave them his so-called daughters as their wives. He sent them as his advocates. He sent them as his generals with his army. Shia Muslims insist on what bad they did and Sunni Muslims insist on what good they did. Actually, we must see them in the middle of what both of us think them to be.

3) Once Imam Ali saw some of his soldiers abusing the Syrians so he said:

'I dislike you starting to abuse them but if you describe their deeds and recount their situations that would be a better mode of speaking and a more convincing way of arguing. Instead of abusing, them you should say, 'Oh God, save our blood and their blood, produce reconciliation between us and them and lead them out of their misguidance so that he who is ignorant of the truth may know it and he who inclines towards rebellion and revolt may turn away from it' (Nahj al Balagha, sermon #205).'

4) Just for the sake of Shia-Sunni unity, we must abstain from insulting each other's religious personalities. What kind of justice is this that when a man insult the Prophet, we protest but we ourself do the same thing with other Muslims?

Imam Jafar al Sadiq said, 'Abu Bakr al Siddiq born me twice' (Siyari by al Dhahabi, volume #6, page #255).

When our Imams spoke ill of the Companions, it was the time when all the Muslims used to speak ill of Ahl al Bayt. Nobody does that now and a few people who hate them are hated by the majority of the Muslims. If our Imams were present as human beings here in this world today, they would've forbidden insult of the Companions. We can say that because we see Qur'an, the Prophet (peace be upon him and his descendants) and Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (peace be upon him) saying, doing and ordering the same.

Seems like we're neglecting the sunnah then...and I don't think you have any clue about how our Imams [as] would have approached these issues. Nobody's suggesting we go out and curse those infamous companions that usurped their rights and oppressed them, openly. But, sending lanat on those oppressors is certainly not forbidden.

(wasalam)

Just a type: http://en.wikipedia....Curses_in_Islam

This is done with the Arabic word La'nat. "La'nat" means deprivation, and can be used in expressions such as "La'anatullah", "May (he/she/it) be deprived of God's (blessings)". So, the curse is not to be understood as gaining evil, rather of losing the blessings of God.

Edited by PureEthics

Seems like we're neglecting the sunnah then...and I don't think you have any clue about how our Imams [as] would have approached these issues. Nobody's suggesting we go out and curse those infamous companions that usurped their rights and oppressed them, openly. But, sending lanat on those oppressors is certainly not forbidden.

(wasalam)

I've given you clear proofs from Qur'an, sunnah and Nahj al Balagha. What more do you need? Look, I'm not asking you to love those who wronged with our Imams. I'm just asking you not to insult them openly. I'm against the attitude of terrorists like Yasser al Habib.

Just a type: http://en.wikipedia....Curses_in_Islam

This is done with the Arabic word La'nat. "La'nat" means deprivation, and can be used in expressions such as "La'anatullah", "May (he/she/it) be deprived of God's (blessings)". So, the curse is not to be understood as gaining evil, rather of losing the blessings of God.

We all say, 'Oh God, curse those who wronged with Ahl al Bayt and deprive them of Your blessings'. I'm just against openly insulting the Caliphs like Indian or Pakistani Shia Muslim lecturers do in public. This causes fitnah and is foolishness.

And what about the Sunni Wahabi when they dig up graves of the companions or set them on fire? I guess thats not an insult.

If they're going towards hell through one route, will you use another route to go towards hell?

Please visit this link now:

(bismillah)

I've given you clear proofs from Qur'an, sunnah and Nahj al Balagha. What more do you need? Look, I'm not asking you to love those who wronged with our Imams. I'm just asking you not to insult them openly. I'm against the attitude of terrorists like Yasser al Habib.

You're free to disagree with him all you want, but that is too far. Call him one who starts fitna, sure, but that^ is taking it a bit too far.

Imam Jafar al Sadiq said, 'Abu Bakr al Siddiq born me twice' (Siyari by al Dhahabi, volume #6, page #255).

Did you really just quote this?

في أمان الله

Edited by Dar'ul_Islam

If the person who posted this asked me this a couple of weeks ago i would totally agree. Then my views changed a full 180 degree turn because of the insightfull speeches by Sheikh Yassir al Habib

You must be kidding me, right?

Assalamualaykum Warrahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

I am a Sunni, Shafii - as a shafii we were taught the History of Islam regarding Imam Ali AS, Imam Hasan AS, Imam Hussain AS through our classic books - yes we say Alaihi Salaam to ahlul bayt - and the base is from our salawat: Allahuma Sali Ala Sayyidina Muhammad wa Ala Aali Sayyidina Muhammad - which we do in every salaat - there fore for Aali (family/kin) of Muhammad we say Alaihi/Alaiha salaam. And for righteous sahaba we say radiallahu anhu. We know about Siffin, The poison of Imam Hasan AS and Karbala etc.

Probably our difference with Shia are our view on the Khulafa Arrashidin (6 - Abubakar RA, Umar RA, Uthman RA, Imam Ali AS, Imam Hasan AS, and Umar ibn Abdul Aziz RA(who stopped the practice of cursing Imam Ali AS)

I was just banned from sunniforum.com because I said la'natullah alaa Muawiyyah, Yazid, Marwan and Hajjaj bin Yusuf and all Nawasib (Haters of Ahlul Bayt) except Umar ibn Abdul Aziz RA - which none of them are considered as sahaba

and I include a link from Dr. Adnan Ibrahim

or

and Ibn Taimiyyah is also a nasibi

what the heck ..... sunniforum is dominated by nasibi (wahaby/salafi) too ....

So I said now la'natullah alfu marah alaa Muawiyyah, Yazid, Marwan and Hajjaj bin Yusuf and all Nawasib.

God bless you, my dear friend.

I was also hated at Sunni Forum. They asked me to tell them more about Shia Islam. When I did so, they said that I was insulting the prophets. They warned me that they would ban me but as they didn't as I stopped using that filthy website. I was shocked by seeing their hatred with Shia Muslims. Well, they're Deobandi Muslims. May God guide them all.

You've disassociated yourself from those who fought against Imams Ali and Hasan (peace be upon them) and those who abused them. That's good.

You must be kidding me, right?

I understand why you think like this because there are also some topics of Yassir al Habib that I dont agree with. But that being said, he also argues that cursing of people that cause deviations and are munafiqoon should be cursed.

And what about the Sunni Wahabi when they dig up graves of the companions or set them on fire? I guess thats not an insult.

Thats abnormal & all sunnis condemn this activity but as far as the cursing & abusing is concerned its a norm for u shias. Actually its not ur fault young man. U were fed such nonsense since u were young.

U r just following ur ancestors

Edited by Invoker

Thats abnormal & all sunnis condemn this activity but as far as the cursing & abusing is concerned its a norm for u shias. Actually its not ur fault young man. U were fed such nonsense since u were young.

U r just following ur ancestors

I would like to tell you Cursing & Abusing is NOT aqeeda of Shia Muslims. I am Shia Muslim, and I don't curse or abuse anyone (except Yazid and few ones more). I respect Bibi Ayesha, because she was wife of Prophet (pbuh). That's it. but I don't abuse. It is not aqeeda of Shia Muslims, whoever does it, that's their Aemaal. Allah will ask for this. But yes, I dissociate myself from enemies of Ahle-e-Baith (as). I can't love those who hurt Bibi Fatima (as).

Edited by akramabbas

What do you all say?

Did Imam Khamenei say " one shouldn't insult " or did he say " it is haraam to insult " ??? What did he really say???

Companions vs companions:

This is a dilemma for every Muslim when he reads history. Companions should be those earlier Muslims who fought for the establishment of our religion. Companions also were the transmitters of hadiths , Quran and Islamic practices. Companions as thus should be Muslim brothers who have rights on us like any other Muslim. Companions were also men whom three years ago were mushriks, you do not expect someone to turn 180 degrees over a night. This is particularly important in one case: companions as transmitters of religion. This is why the ilm of jarh and ta'deel was invented by Sunni school. They needed to verify that hadiths they received were said truly by prophet. Jarh and ta'deel was controversial at its earliest days because part of its process is to judge companions actions and faith. They ended up with adalat asahabah theory which is unknown when it came to existence. This theory dominated the Sunni thought for decades now.

If a Sunni man wants to know why Shia oppose some sahaba , he have to make sure that Sunnis at some point of history did the same. It is not a Shia thing, it is something a Muslim must go through to make sense of the history and to know which hadiths to accept and which to reject.

Shia are sticking with one rule regarding sahabah : who ever opposed imam Ali is wrong doer whom we cannot accept Hadith and religion teaching from. Shia believe that those who opposed imam Ali were nasibis and nasibis are munafiqs and munafiqs are liars.

When it comes to the first three khulafa, Sunnis try to show that there was no ill feelings between imam Ali and them while Shia try to prove other wise.

What do you all say?

Ideally. It would be unjust to curse any other Muslim based on his deeds no matter how ignorant he is or was. God alone knows what he must have been thinking at that point in time. Even applies to this period of time. The ignorant people, it might seem like an act of insanity from the other side of the world however justified the "cause" may be.