Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Didn't The Imams Leave?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Just wondering why didn't the Imams, peace be on them, branch out to other regions of the Earth. Especially since so many (all?) of them were oppressed in their lifetimes and prevented from establishing an Islamic government. I imagine they could have escaped somewhere and kind of done what the Prophet (saww) did and preach Islam to a new group of people and perhaps established a government there.

Was is that they couldn't leave? Or that they didn't want to abandon the Muslims??

"Indeed, those whom the angels take [in death] while wronging themselves - [the angels] will say, "In what [condition] were you?" They will say, "We were oppressed in the land." The angels will say, "Was not the earth of Allah spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?" For those, their refuge is Hell - and evil it is as a destination." 4:97

Thanks.

Edited by ireallywannaknow
  • Advanced Member

Wasn't the whole point of Imamate (as) to guide muslims? Besides... According to Shi'a belief Husayns (as) sacrifice saved Islam at it's root, so the reason in my view is to simply preserve Islam at it's core (Makka/Medina) even though they were oppressed. Leaving the Muslims who oppressed them is akin to Prophet Jonah (as) who was thereby swallowed by a whale.

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Just wondering why didn't the Imams, peace be on them, branch out to other regions of the Earth. Especially since so many (all?) of them were oppressed in their lifetimes and prevented from establishing an Islamic government. I imagine they could have escaped somewhere and kind of done what the Prophet (saww) did and preach Islam to a new group of people and perhaps established a government there.

Was is that they couldn't leave? Or that they didn't want to abandon the Muslims??

"Indeed, those whom the angels take [in death] while wronging themselves - [the angels] will say, "In what [condition] were you?" They will say, "We were oppressed in the land." The angels will say, "Was not the earth of Allah spacious [enough] for you to emigrate therein?" For those, their refuge is Hell - and evil it is as a destination." 4:97

I don't know if there is an official (from the Quran or Ahadith) answer but we can try to guess why they may not have left. The quoted verse is about muslims who did not leave Makkah and didn't migrate with the prophet to Madina. By staying in Makkah they were unable to practice Islam properly and were unable to support the fledgling muslim nation. The verse after it frees the weak form any blame.

The prophet of Islam did not successfully migrate until the opportunity arose. Perhaps the imams [a] and their followers never had that opportunity. Maybe there was no opportunity to start (or to successfully maintain) a new state and other states would not have welcomed them. The prophet was migrating away from non-muslims to a developing muslim environment. The imams [a] have a responsibility to guide their followers and the ummah and best way of doing that may be to remain with the muslims.

The imams [a] did however encourage people to travel to lands to promote the religion, but they warned people not to lose their religion in foreign lands.

Edited by Muhammed Ali
  • Veteran Member

I don't know if there is an official (from the Quran or Ahadith) answer but we can try to guess why they may not have left. The quoted verse is about muslims who did not leave Makkah and didn't migrate with the prophet to Madina. By staying in Makkah they were unable to practice Islam properly and were unable to support the fledgling muslim nation. The verse after it frees the weak form any blame.

The prophet of Islam did not successfully migrate until the opportunity arose. Perhaps the imams [a] and their followers never had that opportunity. Maybe they was no opportunity to start (or to successfully maintain) a new state and other states would not have welcomed them. The prophet was migrating away from non-muslims to a developing muslim environment. The imams [a] have a responsibility to guide their followers and the ummah and best way of doing that may be to remain with the muslims.

The imams [a] did however encourage people to travel to lands to promote the religion, but they warned people not to lose their religion in foreign lands.

That's a good guess.

Part of the reason these questions arose in my mind was because I was wondering why the Imams didn't go to places like Europe and Africa and East Asia, etc, since Islam is supposed to be a global religion, and they might have had an easier time there. But your whole answer makes sense and the part I bolded made me remember that there were groups that did go to other places and establish Islamic communities in new lands like Hazrat Jafar Tayyar's group. I bet there were a bunch of other groups like that that migrated during the Imam's time to escape persecution--and thus Islam spread.

Okay I think that's settled. I'm satisfied with that answer, thank you :)