Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are Sunni Prayers Valid?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have alot of sunni friends and we pray togheter but am i praying with REAL muslims and are the prayers of them accepted?

And in the mosque fot jummah prayer im te only shia is only my prayer valid or what?

Also if the sunni are real muslims does that mean that shia are better brothers than sunni brothers?

• Advanced Member

Akhi from what I know, they are said to be muslims in this doonya while becoming kafir on the here after. The second opinion is that they are forgiven because they truly think what they are doing is correct so this opinion is a matter of niyyat.

Now heres my opinion. They both are muslim. They both want to just pray to Allah swt and we have hadith here and there containing multiple ways to do it. When you pray to Allah swt your main goal is to just do it correctly so you can do as commanded yet with all these interpretations and things it has made it harder on the believer. I believe Allah swt is just and inshaAllah will forgive all of us if our prayers are done incorrectly.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

You go there with the intention (niyyat) of praying in congregation and will receive the reward. However, you need to say all Surahs (Al-Fatiha & 2nd Surah) by yourself, even if it's whispering very quitely. Also the rest of your prayers you need to pray as if you're doing at home, but in the end you get the reward of congregational prayer inshAllah.

Moreover, if you are doing the congregation prayers with your friends, see if they like to pray behind you as well some times (if you can pronounce everything right in Arabic). And be careful as to which one of your friends leads the prayer, be sure that he is okay to be followed from an Islamic perspective.

Lets hope each individuals prayers are valid, before worrying about others.

The prayer of an individual is like one lamp, when it goes out it does not lit the place anymore. The power of a congregation is like a room full of lamps, if one goes out, the rest still gives enough light for one to see. Therefore, your prayer in the congregation will be accepted more quickly inshAllah, even if performed weakly.

• Forum Administrators

We don't know if our prayers are even accepted. All we can do is pray with the correct intention and the correct method. If a Sunni is deliberately ignoring either of these two things, then his prayer is invalid. If a Shi`i is deliberately ignoring either of these two things, then his prayer is invalid.

Sunnis have an incomplete belief in wilaya and this makes them use sources alternative to the family of Muhammad (pbuh). Some genuinely do not have access to the school of Ahl al-Bayt, or the version they have access to is distorted (Nizarism, Alawite). Allah cannot hold accountable those who cannot know the faith. But those who had the ability and chose to ignore or reject will be held accountable, unless Allah forgives them.

We don't know if our prayers are even accepted.

Another reason I'm an agnostic.

1. God is free from all need.

2. He doesn't need our prayers.

3. Therefore, prayers are for our personal benefit.

If the prayer has a perceived positive effect on an individual, it should be accepted. Heck, just performing the prayer should be a sign of acceptance itself. However, you have proof that God in fact does occupy His time figuring out which prayer is worthy of acceptance. You know, the one that has the best genuflections and concentration toward Him. Setting aside the contradiction between this and God being needless; a theist God that has a conscience would understand and sympathise with the difficulty a person has to endure in life, that it is not always easy to have a perfect prayer with all the affairs and issues that subconsciously occupy the mind most of the time. A God of mercy wouldn't put such a laden burden on such a weak, vulnerable individual - a God that threatens to reject a worship that is willingly performed toward Him is frankly not worthy to be worshipped in the first place.

Edited by Rorschach
  • Advanced Member

prayers are for the individual

so u don't even surely certainly know if your own prayer is accepted when performed

far less to comment on if another person's prayer is accepted regardless of school.

• Advanced Member

la illah illah la muhammed al rasool Allah

you are a muslim if you pronounce this statement

1. do you believe in GOd

2. do you believe in the prophets

3. do you believe that God has revieled the holy books (torah, gospel, quran original ones anyways)

4. do you believe in the angels

5. do you believe in qadr (fate)

6. do you believe in yaum al qiyama

if you believe in all of the above, congrats- you're a Muslim

Yes, but you included qadr which is ambiguous and depends on to what extent you believe in it. And you forgot Imamat. I think this applies more to our Sunni-brothers. We have our own set of Usul and Furooh-e-deen ;)

• Advanced Member

Of course this is the case brother but the furoo al deen you are refering to are only for shia

Of course the ones you are talking of are relevant to shia and required to be a shia but what i was referring to are what is required to be muslim

remeber muslim is one who submits to allha subhantalla. Not necessarily one who believes in imams as imamate is seperate from the basic requirements to be muslim

wasallam

(salam)

Yes of course, to be a Muslim you need to testify that there is no God save Allah and Muhammad is his slave and Messenger. You're good to go, and everyone agrees. Just the 'qadr' was ambiguous and unnecessary as there can be different interpretations of it. Our Shi'a interpretation is that some of it is in our own hands, otherwise Heaven and Hell would be unjustified right ;)

(wasalam)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

'(The value of) an action depends on the intention behind it. A man will be rewarded only for what he intended'

(Muslim, book #20, hadith #4692)

If a Shia or a Sunni Muslim offer prayers with the intention to please Allah Almighty, his prayers will surely be granted validity by God.

• Advanced Member

If a Shia or a Sunni Muslim offer prayers with the intention to please Allah Almighty, his prayers will surely be granted validity by God.

Cannot fully agree, see the thing is you still need to perform it like the Prophet (pbuh) himself performed it, even if your intention is good.

'Once, while the holy Prophet was present in the Mosque (i.e. Masjidun Nabi), a man entered and began offering prayers but did not perform the Ruku' and Sajdah properly. The holy Prophet said: "If this man dies and his prayers continue to be this way, he will not depart on my religion". - http://sistani.org/index.php?p=251364&id=48&pid=2197

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

why wouldn't they be valid?

Allah is the one that accepts prayers, so you don't know if your prayer is accepted or not weather you're Sunni or Shia.

I have a question if someone from your school of thought was prayering the shia way, will your imam say its okay or that it's invalid? Please be honest. All I'm saying is Allah set a specific way to pray for a reason. But yes I agree with you, Allah accepts ones prayer, but before he can accept it, it must be validated. It's like your manager asking you to work in order for you to get payed, yes he pays you but not until you work, and even when you work he must see how you work and if your sincere about your work. Same goes with Allah. We arnt Christians, where we close our hands and that's it. I hope you understand. WaSalaam

• Advanced Member

Cannot fully agree, see the thing is you still need to perform it like the Prophet (pbuh) himself performed it, even if your intention is good.

'Once, while the holy Prophet was present in the Mosque (i.e. Masjidun Nabi), a man entered and began offering prayers but did not perform the Ruku' and Sajdah properly. The holy Prophet said: "If this man dies and his prayers continue to be this way, he will not depart on my religion". - http://sistani.org/i...&id=48&pid=2197

(wasalam)

I can understand your reservations but we aren't allowed to call anyone's prayers invalid just because we think that their method's wrong. Just for the sake of Shia-Sunni unity, we mustn't openly criticize their method of prayers. The hadith you've posted was about a man who offered prayers wrongly in the time of the Prophet, not after his death.

(Well, he's not like other dead people as he can still come in this world whenever he wants)

Edited by Modest Muslim
  • Advanced Member

I have a question if someone from your school of thought was prayering the shia way, will your imam say its okay or that it's invalid? Please be honest. All I'm saying is Allah set a specific way to pray for a reason. But yes I agree with you, Allah accepts ones prayer, but before he can accept it, it must be validated. It's like your manager asking you to work in order for you to get payed, yes he pays you but not until you work, and even when you work he must see how you work and if your sincere about your work. Same goes with Allah. We arnt Christians, where we close our hands and that's it. I hope you understand. WaSalaam

Both ways are valid, hands folded or not. I follow the hands folded though. And I understand what you're saying but you don't decide only Allah, so leave it to Allah.

• Veteran Member

Both ways are valid, hands folded or not. I follow the hands folded though. And I understand what you're saying but you don't decide only Allah, so leave it to Allah.

Sister dont get me wrong. All im saying is Allah has already decided by when your prayer becomes valid or invalid. All im doing is using that to come up with a conclusion. Its like someone killing someone and dying. Allah says he will be punished, therefore I conclude the same thing, in this case with prayer. I dont want to make this a debate thread. Just a word of advice. We as muslims, yes shia or sunni, follow Allah only, and Allah appointed the prophet in which we follow ONLY his commands. I suggest you read your books, and please, please, please, see if it was the prophet or someone else that started the folding of hands. If you take a look at the Malik School of thought, they pray the shia way for a reason, remember they were the first sunni school of thought, who was a student of Imam Sadiq A.S.

Wa Salaam

• Advanced Member

Sister dont get me wrong. All im saying is Allah has already decided by when your prayer becomes valid or invalid. All im doing is using that to come up with a conclusion. Its like someone killing someone and dying. Allah says he will be punished, therefore I conclude the same thing, in this case with prayer. I dont want to make this a debate thread. Just a word of advice. We as muslims, yes shia or sunni, follow Allah only, and Allah appointed the prophet in which we follow ONLY his commands. I suggest you read your books, and please, please, please, see if it was the prophet or someone else that started the folding of hands. If you take a look at the Malik School of thought, they pray the shia way for a reason, remember they were the first sunni school of thought, who was a student of Imam Sadiq A.S.

Wa Salaam

I also don't want to make it a debate thread and I sure don't have much knowledge to debate on this subject so I'll keep my mouth shut. And that's why it's valid, maliki school prayers like this, but all other schools pray with hands folded and my school I follow prayers with hands folded. All schools have evidence for what they do, some chose to follow shafie, hanbali, maliki or hanifee. Thanks anyways, I have much to learn from a learned teacher In Sha Allah.

w.a.s

• Veteran Member

I also don't want to make it a debate thread and I sure don't have much knowledge to debate on this subject so I'll keep my mouth shut. And that's why it's valid, maliki school prayers like this, but all other schools pray with hands folded and my school I follow prayers with hands folded. All schools have evidence for what they do, some chose to follow shafie, hanbali, maliki or hanifee. Thanks anyways, I have much to learn from a learned teacher In Sha Allah.

w.a.s

I was just wondering, what if I brought hadiths from bukhari/muslim/hanbal...etc. showing the prophet prayed with his hands down. Would you then do it?

• Advanced Member

I was just wondering, what if I brought hadiths from bukhari/muslim/hanbal...etc. showing the prophet prayed with his hands down. Would you then do it?

She would obviously bring you Ahadith that has been graded as Authentic by Sunni Scholars saying he prayed with his hands folded. Keep in mind, they do acknowledge at times the Prophet (sawa) prayed with his hands down his sides. They will tell you he prayed both ways.

• Veteran Member

She would obviously bring you Ahadith that has been graded as Authentic by Sunni Scholars saying he prayed with his hands folded. Keep in mind, they do acknowledge at times the Prophet (sawa) prayed with his hands down his sides. They will tell you he prayed both ways.

Really so what ur implying is Allah doesn't care how we should pray, crossed, down, up, to the side, it's unimportant...or there is a contradiction, and one way was innovated by someone else.

What if I brought you a Hadith that mentions that hands folded ONLY came after the prophet?

Edited by PureEthics
  • 7 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 5/15/2013 at 3:01 PM, Najib said:

(bismillah)

You go there with the intention (niyyat) of praying in congregation and will receive the reward. However, you need to say all Surahs (Al-Fatiha & 2nd Surah) by yourself, even if it's whispering very quitely. Also the rest of your prayers you need to pray as if you're doing at home, but in the end you get the reward of congregational prayer inshAllah.

Moreover, if you are doing the congregation prayers with your friends, see if they like to pray behind you as well some times (if you can pronounce everything right in Arabic). And be careful as to which one of your friends leads the prayer, be sure that he is okay to be followed from an Islamic perspective.

The prayer of an individual is like one lamp, when it goes out it does not lit the place anymore. The power of a congregation is like a room full of lamps, if one goes out, the rest still gives enough light for one to see. Therefore, your prayer in the congregation will be accepted more quickly inshAllah, even if performed weakly.

Do you also do the Qunoot whilst in congregation with them or leave this out?

• Advanced Member
On 6/9/2013 at 4:18 AM, Ethics said:

Really so what ur implying is Allah doesn't care how we should pray, crossed, down, up, to the side, it's unimportant...or there is a contradiction, and one way was innovated by someone else.

What if I brought you a Hadith that mentions that hands folded ONLY came after the prophet?

Do share