Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Palabras

Picking A Marja?

Rate this topic

If you are just choosing a marja for fiqh, as it should be, it shouldn't really be an issue,

Theoretically you're right about that, but for the majority of people a marja's views and movement also affect wether they will follow him or not

I speak English and it's my first language, so which ones are the English ones? I plan on learning Arabic but it'll take a while.

Edited by Palabras

Salaam Palabras. You may also want to refer to the following, here; here; here; and here

The last link is from Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi Resalah, they are not that different in other maraji's also (As you could probably see in the link a brother posted here to Ayatollah Sistani's website)

Other links are answers to the following, respectively:

1. Why do we have to follow only one marja’ and how is this matter proven through hadiths?

2. If one has doubt about the marja he/she has chosen, what needs to be done?

3. What is the correct and easy way of choosing the most learned marja’ for those Muslims who have recently converted to Islam and don’t have access to other scholars?

I should look for resources in English as it seems not all of what I find are thoroughly (and sometimes carefully) translated :squeez: I'm not pleased.

I speak English and it's my first language, so which ones are the English ones? I plan on learning Arabic but it'll take a while.

Sayed Ali Al Sistani has his english resala (book with fiqh rules) here (you need adobe reader to read this .pdf file):

http://www.dubaijama...slamic Laws.pdf

also, his english website: http://www.sistani.org/index.php?lang=eng

Edited by LekShuBadak

Syed Ali al-Sistani

http://www.sistani.org

Syed Ali al-Khamenei

http://www.leader.ir/langs/en/

They are the only reputable Maraji' with fully comprehensive, reliable English websites. You'll also find following them very easy in the West, as their rulings and representatives are widespread.

Edited by Wizdom

Honestly I think you need to do your own researching and finding. Everyone here tends to be biased toward his own marja.

I personally loved both Ayat. Khorasani and Ayat Shirazi and I listened to their lectures often and they are certainly are great marjahs unlike what others say but I went with Ayat. Al Sistani and I did an istikhara for it too and it came out good.

He is peaceful, he doesn't take political or sectarian sides, and is straight about Fiqh and religion and has a great site with English and other major languages. Also when I ask questions, they email me back within 2 business days.

Edited by Ali-Reza

(salam)

1. Ayatullah Sistani (ha)

2. Ayatullah Khorasani (ha)

All of the others are too political for my liking...

What do you mean by that? Too political. I see mostly everyone here has favored Ayatolla Sayed Sistani.

(salam)

I would suggest you follow the Marjaa who lives close to your house if there is one, even if he isn't charismatic . If you have any questions, it will be very easy to reach him.

But at the same time it will be interesting to do further research on those Top Marjaa

Marjaa don't have that big differences between them.. At the end, everyone prays and fasts the same way..everyone encourages critical thinking , you can disagree with the fatwa's or agree with them. A marjaa is here to answer questions of laws. The whole system of chosing a Marja is a man-made creation after the occultation of Imam Mahdi, so we can better prepare for his arrival.(that is the ultimate goal that a lot of people tend to forget)

Edited by -Enlightened

Quit confusing the brother.

1) Aya. Khamenei (Leader of Muslim Ummah)

You can't be serious. You are creating more confusion by saying Khamenei is the leader of the muslim ummah :S. Don't think anyone has taken that seriously i hope..

(salam)

I would suggest you follow the Marjaa who lives close to your house if there is one, even if he isn't charismatic . If you have any questions, it will be very easy to reach him.

But at the same time it will be interesting to do further research on those Top Marjaa

Marjaa don't have that big differences between them.. At the end, everyone prays and fasts the same way..everyone encourages critical thinking , you can disagree with the fatwa's or agree with them. A marjaa is here to answer questions of laws. The whole system of chosing a Marja is a man-made creation after the occultation of Imam Mahdi, so we can better prepare for his arrival.(that is the ultimate goal that a lot of people tend to forget)

It is Wajib to follow the most knowledgable. He can't just follow his neighbour because it's 'convenient'.

For one thing far more of the ahlul khibra (experts on the topic) claimed so.

I didn't realise the Ahl al-Khibra made unanimous decisions(!)

I am surprised that you guys missed Ayatollah Sayyid Al-Hakim, His website is quite informative and he is the highest ranking Arab Sayyid Marja in the world.

http://english.alhakeem.com/

His Q&A is very good, but he doesn't have a resala in english.

He's dead, but shaykh Lankarani has a very good website as well, english resala, Q&A, ideological Q&A (all in all better than Sistani's)

http://www.lankarani.com/eng/index.php

You can't be serious. You are creating more confusion by saying Khamenei is the leader of the muslim ummah :S. Don't think anyone has taken that seriously i hope..

I am pretty serious. He is the Wali Amr Muslimeen. If you have a problem with that then by all means email or message him to stop using the title.

I am pretty serious. He is the Wali Amr Muslimeen. If you have a problem with that then by all means email or message him to stop using the title.

Can you show us one example of where sayed Khamene'i has used this title for himself? Otherwise, the Christians also go around claiming things and assigning titles to Nabi Isa (a), it doesn't make it so.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Salam alaikom. The above poster was referring to ihtiyat , which is also good way that I suggest

Are you aware that if you practise Ihtiyat, you must pay Khums to each Marji' that you practise Ihtiyat with? Furthermore, did you know that if you practise Ihtiyat, you must refer to EVERY living Marji', and then select the hardest ruling. For instance, if Maraji' A, B, and C all said that smoking is Halaal, but Marji' D says that smoking is Haraam, you must treat smoking as Haraam. It's an impossible practise that Maraji' advise against.

Still think it's a good way?

Edited by Wizdom

Are you aware that if you practise Ihtiyat, you must pay Khums to each Marji' that you practise Ihtiyat with? Furthermore, did you know that if you practise Ihtiyat, you must refer to EVERY living Marji', and then select the hardest ruling. For instance, if Maraji' A, B, and C all said that smoking is Halaal, but Marji' D says that smoking is Haraam, you must treat smoking as Haraam. It's an impossible practise that Maraji' advise against.

yes I'm aware.

Its okay to pay khums to every Marjaa. Its good to do this

I would love tof see some hadiths on this.

Edited by Nima

You can't get ahadith stating those rules; it's a system developed much later and came into maturity after the age of ahadith had passed.

yes I'm aware.

Its okay to pay khums to every Marjaa. Its good to do this

Perhaps you misunderstood - you must pay A Khums to each one. So you must pay 20% to each and every Marji'. So let's say there are twenty Maraji' - you must therefore pay 400% of your savings in Khums.

This was explained to my uncle personally by Syed Ali al-Beheshti.

Perhaps you misunderstood - you must pay A Khums to each one. So you must pay 20% to each and every Marji'. So let's say there are twenty Maraji' - you must therefore pay 400% of your savings in Khums.

no :huh:

Khums is the remaining of the total money divided to 5.. You don't need to give to a marjaa , you can donate it to Imam Hussain shrine, to muslim orphanages around the world, to spend it as Imam Mahdi would spend it ( Because this is what the Marjaa would do with the money anyway)

nevertheless, i'd be more than happy to donate all my money for the sake of Allah .

no :huh:

Khums is the remaining of the total money divided to 5.. You don't need to give to a marjaa , you can donate it to Imam Hussain shrine, to muslim orphanages around the world, to spend it as Imam Mahdi would spend it ( Because this is what the Marjaa would do with the money anyway)

nevertheless, i'd be more than happy to donate all my money for the sake of Allah .

Nooooo you can't; your Khums must go to your Marji'. As I explained before, if you practise Ihtiyat, each Marji' must receive a Khums. And spare me the holier than thou attitude.

You're completely clueless when it comes to Fiqh - which would be absolutely fine, except you insist upon posting on jurisprudential matters. You've done this on more than one occasion. Please, refrain from doing so, because you will accumulate the sins of everyone who you misguide.

Edited by Wizdom

What?

How can you pay 400% of your savings to maraji if you haven't those savings in the first place? Doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that you divide the 20% of savings and distribute it equally between the maraji you have on your list for the purposes of ihtiyat (assuming your Khums must in all circumstances be paid to a marja).

Even then all maraji found in the world can't logistically be included on your payment list of Khums.