Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson

Prophet (Saw) Banned Mutah?

Rate this topic

Salaam,

I was told by my Sunni friends that apparently the Prophet (saw) forbade mutah but since I don't really have any knowledge on this topic I couldn't really disagree.

Can someone explain why they believe the Prophet (saw) banned mutah and we believe that it is still acceptable?

The sunni sources vary on this matter. Some say it was banned in the 7th year after hijra, some say 8th, 9th and 10. So definitely theres something wrong. And also there are Sahih haidth which clearly show Umer banned mutah. Whenever someone tells you a thing, ask for reference right away. Dont believe anything without any proper proof or evidence.

I heard a story that someone did Mutah with Omar's sister and he got mad at her and him and slapt her hard and beat him up too. Then when was asked why he said prophet banned it.

Now I don't know if that is true or anywhere in Bukhar but it is very funny :D

Salaam,

I was told by my Sunni friends that apparently the Prophet (saw) forbade mutah but since I don't really have any knowledge on this topic I couldn't really disagree.

Can someone explain why they believe the Prophet (saw) banned mutah and we believe that it is still acceptable?

Waaleykum Salaam,

Yes. It was narrated by Ali bin abi Talib (ra) who said that the Prophet (saw) banned Mutah. The Mutawatir Hadiths prove that Mutah was banned by the Prophet (saw).

I heard a story that someone did Mutah with Omar's sister and he got mad at her and him and slapt her hard and beat him up too. Then when was asked why he said prophet banned it.

Now I don't know if that is true or anywhere in Bukhar but it is very funny :D

You heard the story in a Hosseinyiah?

Edited by Abul Hussain Hassani

Waaleykum Salaam,

Yes. It was narrated by Ali bin abi Talib (ra) who said that the Prophet (saw) banned Mutah. The Mutawatir Hadiths prove that Mutah was banned by the Prophet (saw).

You heard the story in a Hosseinyiah?

I want hadiths, reliable ones which is why I made this thread.

Edited by Crimson

If you want conflicting reports then wait for Abu Hussain Hassani to reply.

Muta is Mutawattir in our School. In otherwors: the Imams have narrated wayyyyy too many Ahadith about the permissibility of Muta for them to consider if haram.

If you want conflicting reports then wait for Abu Hussain Hassani to reply.

Muta is Mutawattir in our School. In otherwors: the Imams have narrated wayyyyy too many Ahadith about the permissibility of Muta for them to consider if haram.

Alright, but would Sunnis consider the hadiths of our Imams authentic?

Waaleykum Salaam,

Garlic was also banned on the same day. I wonder if you regard Garlic as Haram or you decide to cherry pick what is convenient for you?

Mutawattir Hadiths? You have conflicting and contradicting reports from the same book regarding Muta. To add to this you have one of the major companions & Narrators of Hadith, Ibn Abbas, ruling Muta is Halal after the death of the Prohet (sawa). In addition, Bukhari mentions Hadiths where they clearly state Muta was practiced in the time of Abu Bakr until Umar banned it, which means the Prophet (sawa) didnt ban it (unless it was a temporary ban which I believe it was but you people pick and choose and have decided that Garlic was temporarily banned but Muta must of been permanently banned because the Filthy Rafidhi's consider Muta Halal. I'm right aren't I?).

What do you think about the narration from Jabir Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari (ra)? Surely such a pious Sahaba as Abu Bakr wouldn't of allowed the people to do something the Prophet (sawa) made Haram?

In otherwors: the Imams have narrated wayyyyy too many Ahadith about the permissibility of Muta for them to consider if haram.

Like these:

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/marriage/muta

One or two odd hadiths on a topic can fairly easily be made up. But to have that many, in that extent of minute detail over such a range of issues, narrated by so many different people (some of who would have had different belief sets than the others), over such an expanse of time, and for it all to somehow be a vast coordinated conspiracy against the true position of the Imams (who would have not then gone and corrected this view), is pretty incredible to swallow.

The Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وآله وسلّم) said:

“O people, I had permitted you Mutah before, [but now] whoever of you has any part in it currently must part with her, and do not take back anything which you may have given them, as Allah Exalted and Majestic has forbidden it until the day of resurrection.” [Muslim, Abu Dawood, Ibn Majah, Nasa`i, and Darimi]

Ali (رضّى الله عنه) said:

“The Messenger of Allah had forbidden Mutah on the day of Khaybar and had forbidden the eating of the meat of domestic camels.” [bukhari, Muslim, Tirmizy, Ibn Majah, Nasa`i, Tahawy, Shafi’i, Bayhaqy, and Hazimy]

Ali (رضّى الله عنه) said to a man who was engaging in Mutah:

“You are a straying person, the Messenger of Allah has forbidden temporary marriage and the meat of domestic camels on the day of Khaybar.” [Muslim and Bayhaqy]

Narrated Ali (رضّى الله عنه):

“Allah’s Messenger forbade the temporary marriage in the year of Khaybar.” [sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari]

“At the battle of Khaybar, the Prophet forbade the temporary marriage (i.e Mutah) of women, and the eating of the flesh of domestic asses.” [sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Ahmad, An-Nasa’i, At-Termidhi and Ibn Majah have all collected it]

It was narrated from Ali (رضّى الله عنه) that:

The Messenger of Allah forbade Mutah marriage and the meat of domestic donkeys at the time of Khaybar. According to another report, he forbade Mutah marriage at the time of Khaybar and he forbade the meat of tame donkeys. [Narrated by Bukhari, 3979; Muslim, 1407.]

Mohammad Bin Abdullah Bin Numayr who said:

“My father had narrated to us according to Ubaidullah according to Ibn shahab according to Alhassan and Abdullah the sons of Mohammad bin Ali according to their father according to Ali that he heard Ibn Abbas being lenient towards temporary marriage, so he said, ‘wait Ibn Abbas, the Messenger of Allah had forbidden it on the day of Khaybar when he also prohibited the meat of domestic camels.’” [sahih Muslim]

Narrated Salama bin Al-Akwa:

“In the year of Autas, Allah’s Messenger permitted a temporary marriage for three nights, but he prohibited it afterwards.” [sahih Muslim]

It was narrated from al-Rabee’ ibn Sabrah al-Juhanithat his father told him that he was with the Messenger of Allah who said:

“O people, I used to allow you to engage in Mutah marriages, but now Allah has forbidden that until the Day of Resurrection, so whoever has any wives in a Mutah marriage, he should let her go and do not take anything of the (money) you have given them.” [Narrated by Muslim, 1406.]

I took these narrations from this website: http://www.schiiten....h-is-haram.html

Garlic was also banned on the same day. I wonder if you regard Garlic as Haram or you decide to cherry pick what is convenient for you?

Mutawattir Hadiths? You have conflicting and contradicting reports from the same book regarding Muta. To add to this you have one of the major companions & Narrators of Hadith, Ibn Abbas, ruling Muta is Halal after the death of the Prohet (sawa). In addition, Bukhari mentions Hadiths where they clearly state Muta was practiced in the time of Abu Bakr until Umar banned it, which means the Prophet (sawa) didnt ban it (unless it was a temporary ban which I believe it was but you people pick and choose and have decided that Garlic was temporarily banned but Muta must of been permanently banned because the Filthy Rafidhi's consider Muta Halal. I'm right aren't I?).

What do you think about the narration from Jabir Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari (ra)? Surely such a pious Sahaba as Abu Bakr wouldn't of allowed the people to do something the Prophet (sawa) made Haram?

I quoted this Hadith in my post:

“My father had narrated to us according to Ubaidullah according to Ibn shahab according to Alhassan and Abdullah the sons of Mohammad bin Ali according to their father according to Ali that he heard Ibn Abbas being lenient towards temporary marriage, so he said, ‘wait Ibn Abbas, the Messenger of Allah had forbidden it on the day of Khaybar when he also prohibited the meat of domestic camels.’” [sahih Muslim]

There is a narration of Jabir bin Abdullah (ra) about the prohibition of Muta in Sahih Bukhari.

^... Posting random Hadiths won't prove anything. You clearly do not understand the technicalities involved and the many factors you must disregard entirely if you are willing to concede that Muta was actually declared Haram by the Prophet (sawa). This was touched up on by Mac Daddies in post 12.

@ Mac

What is authenticity of this Shia narration:

رقم [ 511 ] 5 : فأما ما رواه محمد بن أحمد بن يحيى عن أبي الجوزا عن الحسين بن علوان عن عمرو بن خالد عن زيد بن علي عن آبائه عن علي عليهم السلام قال: حرم رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله لحوم الحمر الاهلية ونكاح المتعة. الإستبصار 3/142

الاستبصار ج 3 ص 142

Narrated by Ali bin Abi Talib: Prophet [صلى الله عليه وآله] had forbidden the meat of domestic donkey and Mutah Nikkah. [Al Istibsar, 3/142]

^... Posting random Hadiths won't prove anything. You clearly do not understand the technicalities involved and the many factors you must disregard entirely if you are willing to concede that Muta was actually declared Haram by the Prophet (sawa). This was touched up on by Mac Daddies in post 12.

Brother I just posted what was I asked.

Brother I just posted what was I asked.

And I'm just saying it doesn't prove anything. Is it easier to fabricate a few Hadith that say the Prophet (sawa) made Muta haram or is it easier to fabricate a plethora of Ahadith from all of the Imams who unanimously agree on the permissibility of Muta which was narrated by a massive number of companions over decades who all just decided to conspire against each Imām and fabricate an incredible amount of Hadiths?

The Prophet (صلّى الله عليه وآله وسلّم) said:

“O people, I had permitted you Mutah before, [but now] whoever of you has any part in it currently must part with her, and do not take back anything which you may have given them, as Allah Exalted and Majestic has forbidden it until the day of resurrection.” [Muslim, Abu Dawood, Ibn Majah, Nasa`i, and Darimi]

Ali (رضّى الله عنه) said:

“The Messenger of Allah had forbidden Mutah on the day of Khaybar and had forbidden the eating of the meat of domestic camels.” [bukhari, Muslim, Tirmizy, Ibn Majah, Nasa`i, Tahawy, Shafi’i, Bayhaqy, and Hazimy]

Ali (رضّى الله عنه) said to a man who was engaging in Mutah:

“You are a straying person, the Messenger of Allah has forbidden temporary marriage and the meat of domestic camels on the day of Khaybar.” [Muslim and Bayhaqy]

“Allah’s Messenger forbade the temporary marriage in the year of Khaybar.” [sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari]

“At the battle of Khaybar, the Prophet forbade the temporary marriage (i.e Mutah) of women, and the eating of the flesh of domestic asses.” [sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Ahmad, An-Nasa’i, At-Termidhi and Ibn Majah have all collected it]

It was narrated from Ali (رضّى الله عنه) that:

The Messenger of Allah forbade Mutah marriage and the meat of domestic donkeys at the time of Khaybar. According to another report, he forbade Mutah marriage at the time of Khaybar and he forbade the meat of tame donkeys. [Narrated by Bukhari, 3979; Muslim, 1407.]

Narrated Salama bin Al-Akwa:

“In the year of Autas, Allah’s Messenger permitted a temporary marriage for three nights, but he prohibited it afterwards.” [sahih Muslim]

It was narrated from al-Rabee’ ibn Sabrah al-Juhanithat his father told him that he was with the Messenger of Allah who said:

“O people, I used to allow you to engage in Mutah marriages, but now Allah has forbidden that until the Day of Resurrection, so whoever has any wives in a Mutah marriage, he should let her go and do not take anything of the (money) you have given them.” [Narrated by Muslim, 1406.]

I took these narrations from this website: http://www.schiiten....h-is-haram.html

I quoted this Hadith in my post:

There is a narration of Jabir bin Abdullah (ra) about the prohibition of Muta in Sahih Bukhari.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Using your argument based on those Hadith you posted, clearly there is a contradiction in your books because you would be denying what your "SAHIH" Bukhari and Muslim states , as the narrations in those books clearly state that Mutah was banned by Umar(May Allah give him what he deserves) and not the prophet(pbuh).

(Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 43) Narrated 'Imran bin Husain: The Verse of muta was revealed in Allah's Book, so we performed it with Allah's Apostle, and nothing was revealed in Qur'an to make it illegal, nor did the Prophet prohibit it till he died. But the man (omar) just expressed what his own mind suggested

(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3250) Abu Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jabir b. Abdullah, a person came to him and said that Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Zubair differed on the two types of Mut'as (muta of Hajj and muta of women), whereupon Jabir said: We used to do these two during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger pbuh Umar then forbade us to do them, and so we did not revert to them.

(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3248) Ibn Uraij reported: 'Ati' reported that jibir b. Abdullah came to perform 'Umra, and we came to his abode, and the people asked him about different things, and then they made a mention of temporary marriage, whereupon he said: Yes, we had been benefiting ourselves by this temporary marriage during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet pbuh and during the time of Abi Bakr and 'Umar

Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: We contracted temporary marriage giving a handful of (tales or flour as a dower during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger pbuh and durnig the time of Abu Bakr until 'Umar forbade it in the case of 'Amr b. Huraith.(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3249)

'Urwa b. Zabair reported that 'Abdullah b. Zubair stood up (and delivered an address) in Mecca saying: Allah has made blind the hearts of some people as He has deprived them of eyesight that they give religious verdict in favor of temporary marriage, while he was alluding to a person (Ibn 'Abbas). Ibn Abbas called him and said: You are an uncouth person, devoid of sense. By my life, Mut'a was practised during the lifetime of the leader of the pious (he meant Allah's Messenger, pbuh), and Ibn Zubair said to him: just do it yourselves, and by Allah, if you do that I will stone you with your stones. Ibn Shihab said. Khalid b. Muhajir b. Saifullah informed me: While I was sitting in the company of a person, a person came to him and he asked for a religious verdict about Mut'a and he permitted him to do it. (Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3261)

I ask you now to provide a commentary on each of these Hadiths from your books and use them to refute my argument, and that is; Umar being responsible for banning Mutah

And Allah(swt) knows best

Duas

(wasalam)

There are many ways for us to reconcile this hadeeth.

1.) It could be that the Prophet (pbuh) declared those two things to be haraam, but those two things were haraam ONLY for the day of Khaybar and not "until the day of Judgement" (like it says in Sunni books).

Personally, I think this is the most logical position. It's hard to imagine why Sunnis would have made up the narrations about mut`a being being banned on the day of Khaybar, knowing that it was allowed during the conquest of Mecca (if you are going to make up ahadith, why not place it at a more logical date?), so I would assume there must be some truth to it.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Using your argument based on those Hadith you posted, clearly there is a contradiction in your books because you would be denying what your "SAHIH" Bukhari and Muslim states , as the narrations in those books clearly state that Mutah was banned by Umar(May Allah give him what he deserves) and not the prophet(pbuh).

(Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Number 43) Narrated 'Imran bin Husain: The Verse of muta was revealed in Allah's Book, so we performed it with Allah's Apostle, and nothing was revealed in Qur'an to make it illegal, nor did the Prophet prohibit it till he died. But the man (omar) just expressed what his own mind suggested

Waaleykum Salaam,

It is about Muta of Hajj not Muta marriage. It talks about this verse of Quran فَمَن تَمَتَّعَ بِالْعُمْرَةِ إِلَى الْحَجِّ 2:196.

The Hadith is mentioned under this bab (same as the verse):

صحيح البخاري » كتاب تفسير القرآن » سورة البقرة » باب فمن تمتع بالعمرة إلى الحج

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ok fair enough. I double checked it again and you are right, there has been a typo in that Hadith and therefore is flawed if used in my argument. It indeed talks about Mutah of Hajj. However, the other Hadiths do not talk about Mutah of Hajj but rather, specifically the Mutah of marriage. Let me know what your commentary on the rest of these Hadiths are.

(wasalam)

No comment? ... :huh:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Ok fair enough. I double checked it again and you are right, there has been a typo in that Hadith and therefore is flawed if used in my argument. It indeed talks about Mutah of Hajj. However, the other Hadiths do not talk about Mutah of Hajj but rather, specifically the Mutah of marriage. Let me know what your commentary on the rest of these Hadiths are.

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3250) Abu Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jabir b. Abdullah, a person came to him and said that Ibn 'Abbas and Ibn Zubair differed on the two types of Mut'as (muta of Hajj and muta of women), whereupon Jabir said: We used to do these two during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger pbuh Umar then forbade us to do them, and so we did not revert to them.

(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3248) Ibn Uraij reported: 'Ati' reported that jibir b. Abdullah came to perform 'Umra, and we came to his abode, and the people asked him about different things, and then they made a mention of temporary marriage, whereupon he said: Yes, we had been benefiting ourselves by this temporary marriage during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet pbuh and during the time of Abi Bakr and 'Umar

Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: We contracted temporary marriage giving a handful of (tales or flour as a dower during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger pbuh and durnig the time of Abu Bakr until 'Umar forbade it in the case of 'Amr b. Huraith.(Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3249)

'Urwa b. Zabair reported that 'Abdullah b. Zubair stood up (and delivered an address) in Mecca saying: Allah has made blind the hearts of some people as He has deprived them of eyesight that they give religious verdict in favor of temporary marriage, while he was alluding to a person (Ibn 'Abbas). Ibn Abbas called him and said: You are an uncouth person, devoid of sense. By my life, Mut'a was practised during the lifetime of the leader of the pious (he meant Allah's Messenger, pbuh), and Ibn Zubair said to him: just do it yourselves, and by Allah, if you do that I will stone you with your stones. Ibn Shihab said. Khalid b. Muhajir b. Saifullah informed me: While I was sitting in the company of a person, a person came to him and he asked for a religious verdict about Mut'a and he permitted him to do it. (Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3261)

I ask you now to provide a commentary on each of these Hadiths from your books and use them to refute my argument, and that is; Umar being responsible for banning Mutah

Duas

(wasalam)

...Garlic was banned for a day? why was that?

An unexpectedly potent batch of hummus. The bad breath produced, had it been exhaled in battle, would have been a violation of the recently signed Medina Convention on chemical warfare.

Because Sheikh Sherjee's stock of garlic and onions still had not arrived from Acre. Ka'b Al-Ahbar narrated ahadith about the divine barakah of those onions from the pulpit in Madina. Buy three and you get a plot in Jannah. Buy 5 and you get two plots in jannah. It is why he got his skull opened at the hands of Hz. Abu Zar Ghifari (ra).

But any way, its sad to know that muta wasn't allowed/disallowed. Now I'll still be indifferent about practicing it. :(

Salaam,

There's an article here in post #1 that you might find helpful:

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234990915-defending-muta/

(wasalam)

An unexpectedly potent batch of hummus. The bad breath produced, had it been exhaled in battle, would have been a violation of the recently signed Medina Convention on chemical warfare.

Is it wrong to like this?