Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
kiptanui

Throwing Away Paper With Religious Text On It

Rate this topic

salam

what do we do with paper with religious stuff on it? like verses of the quran or names of ahlulbayt. i get lots of leaflets, cards and magazines with this on it and i want to get rid of it because i cant store it in my home for ever.

(salam)

I collect the documents in a pile and when I have enough I shred them. it's a pretty efficient method when you have a lot of documents and papers.

Wa Salam

After you shred it, do you throw it in the bin?

So you tear up the verses of the Quran? really? Is that ok?

(salam)

According to Ayatullah Sistani, shredding is permissible.

Question :

How could one go about dispensing with papers carrying the names of Allãh or the Infallibles, as well as some loose pages of the Qur’ãn, when it is not possible for us to throw them in the sea or the river? That said, we do not know where would the garbage end up and what is done with it?

Answer :

It is not permissible to put them in rubbish bins because that involves desecration and disrespect. However there is no problem in erasing the writings on the papers even by using some chemicals burying them in a clean place, or shredding them.

http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=616687&id=1235

Wa Salam

(salam)

According to Ayatullah Sistani, shredding is permissible.

Question :

How could one go about dispensing with papers carrying the names of Allãh or the Infallibles, as well as some loose pages of the Qur’ãn, when it is not possible for us to throw them in the sea or the river? That said, we do not know where would the garbage end up and what is done with it?

Answer :

It is not permissible to put them in rubbish bins because that involves desecration and disrespect. However there is no problem in erasing the writings on the papers even by using some chemicals burying them in a clean place, or shredding them.

http://www.sistani.o...=616687&id=1235

Wa Salam

But is it first erasing the writing before shredding and burying? Because I cannot see whether he means it as a combination or if you could do one without doing the other.

(wasalam) :)

But is it first erasing the writing before shredding and burying? Because I cannot see whether he means it as a combination or if you could do one without doing the other.

(wasalam) :)

(salam)

"It is not permissible to put them in rubbish bins because that involves desecration and disrespect. However there is no problem in erasing the writings on the papers even by using some chemicals burying them in a clean place, or shredding them."

There is no indication that these need to be done in a combination. I believe the lack of a comma between chemicals and burying is the cause of the confusion. Chemicals are mentioned in reference to erasing the writing not burying it. Shredding is independent to the earlier statements by the word "or".

Here is another statement by Ayatullah Sistani showing burying without reference to other treatment is permissible:

Answer :

They should be buried in a clean ground or be thrown unto river.

http://www.sistani.org/index.php?p=616687&id=1296

As I teach in a Madrassah, I have a lot of material left over that needs to be disposed of and have tried various methods; burying, shredding and erasing the writing are all permissible according to Ayatullah Sistani but I personally find shredding the most practical.

Wa Salam

(salam)

As I teach in a Madrassah, I have a lot of material left over that needs to be disposed of and have tried various methods; burying, shredding and erasing the writing are all permissible according to Ayatullah Sistani but I personally find shredding the most practical.

Wa Salam

(wasalam)

Okay if you're sure about it, but the sentence is still confusing with a comma. So I'm going to ask for the sake of ease of heart if shredding paper with the names of Allah and the A'immah is permissible without prior erasing the writings first.

(wasalam)