Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Koshaan

Is Heparin Halal?

Rate this topic

Aoa. A relative needs to travel to the U.S. in the near future. Being a kidney patient, he needs dialysis every alternate day. He just found out that heparin, a product essential to the dialysis process, used in the U.S., is derived from pork. (Muslim countries use a substitute of bovine origin).

We can't decide if the stages it goes through during extraction would count as istihala, although I have my doubts. Here's a link that gives an overview, if anyone's interested.

http://www-heparin.rpi.edu/main/files/papers/217.pdf

Can anyone please help? Kindly don't give responses like how haram things are allowed if there is dire need; I'm interested in whether or not this product is halal overall.

Thanks

I wasn't aware of where heparin is derived from. My understanding is, when a haram substance is used in infintismal levels in medical products, it is halal. The best example i can think of is alcohol in cough syrup, and this is backed by learned scholars like Sayyid Sistani. I guess if you can find heparin made with halal ingredients, go for it (this will be pretty difficult indeed), otherwise settle for whatever derivative you can find. He needs his heparin for his dialysis sessions, and life always comes first in Islam

And Allah (SWT) knows best

Aoa. A relative needs to travel to the U.S. in the near future. Being a kidney patient, he needs dialysis every alternate day. He just found out that heparin, a product essential to the dialysis process, used in the U.S., is derived from pork. (Muslim countries use a substitute of bovine origin).

Your question is answered right there. Medical necessity trumps any other concerns.

It's halal to even get transplants of pig organs if medically necessary. Heck, we can eat pork if it's the only food around to survive.

Can anyone please help? Kindly don't give responses like how haram things are allowed if there is dire need; I'm interested in whether or not this product is halal overall.

OK. So you're asking a question, but you want to refuse in advance the answer. Yeah, that's smart. That's exactly what makes it halal "overall." You want to know if it's OK for a normal healthy person to take this medicine? Healthy people don't take this medicine, so it's a foolish question.

Edited by kadhim

Mohammad-mahdi, I would've tagged you if I could- you'd be the best person to answer this. Thanks for the example of cough syrup, it helps put things into perspective.

Kadhim, I wasn't being pedantic with that last request, just unclear overall.I understand what you say about haram things being okay in life-threatening situations. If it were that simple in this case, this question would not need asking. Lemme rephrase my original question. Sure, he 'needs' to travel to the U.S., but on a business trip; it's not something on which his life hinges. I mean, the worst suffering he might undergo, if he doesn't undertake this trip, would be financial. Does this change things, d'you think?

Is it ok to use heparin in a hep lock? What is the difference in

heparin lock solution and heparin?

What would is the antidote for heparin? are there vitamins which you cannot take with heparin? OTCs? I think patients need to know these things. It is a part of patient teaching: medications: interactions: purpose.

Mohammad-mahdi, I would've tagged you if I could- you'd be the best person to answer this. Thanks for the example of cough syrup, it helps put things into perspective.

Kadhim, I wasn't being pedantic with that last request, just unclear overall.I understand what you say about haram things being okay in life-threatening situations. If it were that simple in this case, this question would not need asking. Lemme rephrase my original question. Sure, he 'needs' to travel to the U.S., but on a business trip; it's not something on which his life hinges. I mean, the worst suffering he might undergo, if he doesn't undertake this trip, would be financial. Does this change things, d'you think?

What I'm saying, I guess, is that for him, it's just halal, period, as it's medicine. There's no Islamic reason to give it a second thought. He gets no harm for doing it, and no benefit or blessing for avoiding it. It's just worrying for nothing.

Is it ok to use heparin in a hep lock? What is the difference in

heparin lock solution and heparin?

What would is the antidote for heparin? are there vitamins which you cannot take with heparin? OTCs? I think patients need to know these things. It is a part of patient teaching: medications: interactions: purpose.

I'm sorry, I have no idea about all this. Until a few days back, I didn't know there exists a chemical called heparin. Perhaps someone can help you. Uhh, mohammad_mahdi?

Kadhim, thanks for the response:)

Aoa. A relative needs to travel to the U.S. in the near future. Being a kidney patient, he needs dialysis every alternate day. He just found out that heparin, a product essential to the dialysis process, used in the U.S., is derived from pork. (Muslim countries use a substitute of bovine origin)...I understand what you say about haram things being okay in life-threatening situations. If it were that simple in this case, this question would not need asking. Lemme rephrase my original question. Sure, he 'needs' to travel to the U.S., but on a business trip; it's not something on which his life hinges. I mean, the worst suffering he might undergo, if he doesn't undertake this trip, would be financial.

If your relative needs dialysis every other day, then delaying dialysis for say, a week, would probably be harmful. The point of dialysis is to remove wastes from the body. He should consult his physician for how likely harm is by delaying dialysis for X days, its extent and whether it would be temporary or permanent.

We can't decide if the stages it goes through during extraction would count as istihala, although I have my doubts. Here's a link that gives an overview, if anyone's interested.

It sounds like the molecule heparin is extracted in pure form from the animal, in which case, the question you should perhaps ask is, can a purified collection of a molecule be najis just because it came from a najis source (a pig in this case)?

(wasalam)

Edited by Cake