Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Harian

Am I Supposed To Be Sunni Or Shia- Please Help Me

Rate this topic

I've never really thought about sects when I practice my faith, I guess my family would probably be Sunni, but I have an uncle who is Shia.

Originally I didn't care about these 'sects', whenever anyone asked I'd say I was a Muslim, that I had no allegiance with either Sunnis or Shias;

I fast, I pray, I believe in the oneness of Allah, the finality of Prophethood of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), when I grow up and have a job I will pay Zakaat.

So what makes Sunnis sunni and Shias shia? Is there a 'right' sect?

I don't want to go to Hell if there is a flaw with my indifference of which sect I'm supposed to belong to, do I have to choose a sect?

And how can you know which sect is the right sect?

Please help me

I've never really thought about sects when I practice my faith, I guess my family would probably be Sunni, but I have an uncle who is Shia.

Originally I didn't care about these 'sects', whenever anyone asked I'd say I was a Muslim, that I had no allegiance with either Sunnis or Shias;

I fast, I pray, I believe in the oneness of Allah, the finality of Prophethood of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), when I grow up and have a job I will pay Zakaat.

I don't want to go to Hell if there is a flaw with my indifference of which sect I'm supposed to belong to, do I have to choose a sect?

Please help me

Salam brother,

You ask a very good question. I guess your question is the whole reason why this section of the website exists. I am in the same situation as you - I have a mixed family of Sunni and Shia. Growing up I got quite confused and frustrated between the division. I always thought (and still do to some extent), what is the point, can't we all just be muslim and that's it?

I think the beliefs you stated in your post are fine and they do encompass Islam in a nutshell. I'm certain that if you believe in Allah (swt) and Prophet Muhammad's (saw) message, do good deeds and avoid intentionally hurting others, you will not go to hell. This is for Allah (swt) alone to judge, of course.

I have my reasons for leaning toward the Sunni side. I do not feel that there is credible evidence that the extra beliefs that Shia have are valid. Although I'm not a scholar, but from what I've read in the Qu'ran and literature, I cannot substantiate following the Shia path. However, that's not to say that I would follow certain Sunni paths such as Wahhabism. I just feel that a lot of Shia have added unnecessary pratices to our religion and have lost sight of the whole point and message of Islam. Again, the same could be said of certain Sunni groups, so I do not generalise.

One way of looking at it (for me) is ask yourself - if I wasn't muslim, which path would I follow? Or if I wanted to recommend a friend to convert to Islam, which path would I think would be in my friend's best interest?

Overall, I do not advocate sectarianism as a whole, and, like yourself, more accurately label myself as muslim. It is not completely necessary to go onto further detail when defining your overall beliefs. All the best brother.

Salaam.

I understand your concerns and frustration as this may be something new to you.

When looking at this objectively you will find that both groups have alot in common.

Both groups believe in Allah (swt), the hereafter, the infalllibility of the quran, all the prophets, pay zakaat, be good and the list goes on.

The common grounds exceeds the differences.

Do your own reading and research and than look into yourself and decide which path you would like to go on. Use knowledge and common sense to derive at your conclusion. Whatever path you wish to choose ask Allah's guidance and protection. Do not under any circumstance ridicule or slander the other school of thought if you do not adhere by it, whether it is shia or sunni.

This is your own personal journey.

I do recomend for you to read the some of our works in order to get a bit more insight into the shia school of thought.

I recommend the following:

Then I was guided by Dr Tijani -

Najul Balagha - Compilation of sermons of Imam Ali (as)

Sahifa Sajjadiya - Beautiful duas by our fourth imam (as)

If you need more information dont hesitate to PM me.

Salaam

Like many other subjects, in Islam too there are multiple schools of thought.

You don't have to label yourself anything, other than being a Muslim. Others may call you a certain name depending on the conclusions you reach after studying Islam, but you don't have to listen to them.

Just focus on reaching the truth. Look into the Ghadeer Khum announcement, the event of Karbala, the situation of the Prophet and his household and his followers before and after these events, deeply from both points of view, and try to reach your own independent conclusions. Inshallah God will help you out.

I love how the shia posters mentality is "search for the truth, look at both sides". Where the Sunnis posters is like "we ae right, they are wrong". Truly we Shias strive for the truth, subhanAllah.

Thanks Pure Ethics, I've learnt a lot from the links you pasted.

Your welcome brother. If you need anything just PM me inshAllah. Al-Islam.org has everything on what your asking. But I also highly recommend watching the lectures by Hassanain Rajabali, very profound and he is also pro unity.

Edited by PureEthics

Please help me

Shia Islam is the right sect. You have to follow the ahl al bayt. And stay away from their enemies.

If you have the time and energy, you can study about all the Muslim sects.

Salaam

Can anyone introduce me to what: the ''Ghadeer Khum announcement, the event of Karbala, the situation of the Prophet and his household and his followers''

is?

The event of Ghadeer is an event that has been recorded in both shia and sunni authentic sources. Its been narrated by so many companions that it has become an undeniable event in history. The sunnis differ to the interpretation of the event, however again you need to sit down and think which view makes more sense to you.

Basically in a nutshel, the event of ghadeer is when the prophet declared infront of hundreds of his companions during his last pilgrimage (before he passed from this world) that he was leaving behind the quran and his ahlul bayt, and these two should be followed after him. (the ahlul bayt are there to teach mankind the sunnah of the prophet etc). After this he then declared imam ali as his successor. Its a long hadith, i recommend you looking into it.

The event of kerbala:

a tragic event which entails the martyrdom of hussayn the grandson of the holy prophet, and his family. What makes this so tragic, is that the event didnt just happen overnight, but the events leading up to this massacre started to enfold straight after the demise of the holy prophet (pbuh). I therefore recomend for you to read into the event of saqifa, dispute between abu bakr and fatima, fadak and ask yourself who lead the janaza prayer of the holy prophet, how many were present and who were there?

I hope the above is in order.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask. Either myself or my fellow members here will answer your questions, in sha alllah.

Salaam

What makes this so tragic, is that the event didnt just happen overnight, but the events leading up to this massacre started to enfold straight after the demise of the holy prophet (pbuh). I

This is one of the most illogical idea prevalent in shia sect.

If one can connect karbala with saqifa as a pre-planned event then you have the most simplistic, nihilistic and bigoted version of history.

Why stop there? Go back to the time when the Prophet (pbuh) accepted the people present in Saqifa as his companions and showed love and support to them and gave them authority on people in battles etc. By this logic, the Prophet is responsible for karbala !

I love how the shia posters mentality is "search for the truth, look at both sides". Where the Sunnis posters is like "we ae right, they are wrong". Truly we Shias strive for the truth, subhanAllah.

The second poster in the thread also advised the same and he is not shia.

And whats a tafzili sunni?

A sunni in belief but holds Ali as the most worthy sahabi to become the khalif after the Prophet.

Sunni's are Muslims and Shias are Muslim. You have other sects too Bohris, Ismailis etc. etc. etc. why boil it down to Sunni and Shia ?? The fundamentals of both the followers is the same............ since they are both big there are differences which when looked at closely are usually "politically motivated". A good muslim has his fundamentals strong. Keep faith in Allah, you will be guided.