Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Co-Washes; Opinion, Experience----[ Sisters Only ]

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalmo-Elykum

I hope all of you are doing fine---

Summers, humidity and sweat----total diaster for hair; you can't shampoo every other day as it will ruin the hair, you can't let it go as it is because of heat, humidity and sweat.

So I thought of opting for Co-Washes; using only conditioner to wash your hair, no shampoo, just conditioner; heap a handful of conditioner, let it sit in your hair and then lather like you do with shampoo---rinse, rinse, rinse;

Benefits----no stripping away of natural oils, drying of hair and scalp, no itchy or flaky scalp, soft , soft , soft hair

Catch is not to use any conditioner which has cone in it---Silicones, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Simethicone; any conditioner even if it is a cheap brand , as long as it does not contain any cone will do the job and do it nicely..

So--what is your opinion, experience regarding going Co-washes, no shampoo--?

Edited by ילדת מלך
  • Advanced Member

my hair is already dry and I never know what to do, in the summer it just turns into a giant frizz ball ....I never heard of co-washes....does it help with frizzyness in the humidity??

Im gna have to try it

Yes, it does, or at least that's what I have heard---opt for a conditioner , which is not very expensive and cone-free----VO5 is a favourite among co-washer and so is Sauve; gives excellent result, especially ragrding the clean scalp and soft manageable hair without any frizz or dryness---

• Veteran Member

Salams Hebs,

ive used conditioner washes before. My hair got damaged through using box dyes a couple of years ago and for a while i was doing conditioner washes. I have very fine hair, which is a nightmare as it gets dry easily and greasy quite easily also. Condtioner washes seemed to work fine though, i used Treseme =)

Salam,

Sorry to barge into sister's zone but hey you can always benefit from male wisdom here.

Not in vogue, but I remember my grand mother used to use henna on her hair during the hot summer months and then wash it away in few hours. Henna is a natural conditioner besides having so many other benefits. When we, the always questioning platoon of kids used to ask what she was doing, she used to say she was preventing her hair from being cotton candy, and we always wished that we get to see that cotton candy one day :)

Hope this helps!!

• Advanced Member

my hair is silky and gets greasy very quickly, unfortunately i have to use shampoo like every other day which is kinda annoying =/

Yes, that is the issue---keeping hair and scalp clean without having to shampoo it every other day--; with me problem is thickness and as I play squash that means sweat which can be washed off with water only, but if you have tried water only you must have noticed that it makes hair stringy and a ropey-looking; so co-washes sort of help it as you can wash your hair every day without drying out your hair and can maintain a squeaky clean scalp--

Salams Hebs,

ive used conditioner washes before. My hair got damaged through using box dyes a couple of years ago and for a while i was doing conditioner washes. I have very fine hair, which is a nightmare as it gets dry easily and greasy quite easily also. Condtioner washes seemed to work fine though, i used Treseme =)

Do you still co-wash , Sister--?--man, I know what you mean when hair get dry and greasy at the same time--

(salam)

I've never experienced those effects of humidity, everybody's hair is different so try it out and if it works, stick with it, and if it doesn't try something else.

Sweat, actually which makes one feel icky and want to strip your scalp of any hair at all----I have done it couple of times, but I wanted to share it with other sisters too, as a good shampoo alternative--

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

very interesting! I have only seen the 'no conditioner' and the 'no-poo' method (no shampoo/conditioner)

I've heard that if you want smooth hair a good shampoo can be even more important? I've also heard of people who do not wash their hair with ANYTHING! :o They say that after a while your hair self balances and you get beautiful perfect undamaged hair! :o I'm too chicken to try it though.

Let us know if it works for you!

But I have long, thick, curly hair...which can = dry frizzzy pooofff. Its crazy. I've paid farrr too many $$ on shampoos/conditioner/masks/hair serums etc to try to fix the crazy hair to no avail. Until I found themiracle. The ALL NATURAL miracle! The holy GRAIL for crazy hair. You ready for it? Toss the Olive Oil Ladies......COCONUT OIL!

Not even kidding. I had horrid hair but now whenever it gets a bit too dry or frizzy, I put on a coconut hair mask. Coconut oil comes as a solid. Dollop on a spoonfull in your hands and rub together. the heat from your hands should melt the oil. Apply all over. I usually apply it and let it sit in my hair for a few hours before showering. Whats AWESOME about this is that unlike olive oil it does NOT drip! It just stays there. No greasy forehead or oil stains on your shirt.

HOPE THAT HELPS LADIES!! :)

I've also heard of people who do not wash their hair with ANYTHING! :o They say that after a while your hair self balances and you get beautiful perfect undamaged hair! :o I'm too chicken to try it though.

I will try this out for one week and let you know what the results are! Or is one week not enough lol.

I shower every other day and use shampoo + conditioner every time I take a shower. My hair has wavy structure, but is thin and light. It get's very greasy quickly. But lately it has lost it's structure. It doesn't take any shape right now, it's just puffy (is that even a word?) and dull. The only way I can make it look decent is by using hair straightener, but this has ruined my hair in the past.

What should I do to let it go back to it's natural structure? I don't want to ruin it with treatment and straighteners :/

Or is there a convenient haircut to make it look nice and full? I don't know :(

• Advanced Member

I will try this out for one week and let you know what the results are! Or is one week not enough lol.

I shower every other day and use shampoo + conditioner every time I take a shower. My hair has wavy structure, but is thin and light. It get's very greasy quickly. But lately it has lost it's structure. It doesn't take any shape right now, it's just puffy (is that even a word?) and dull. The only way I can make it look decent is by using hair straightener, but this has ruined my hair in the past.

What should I do to let it go back to it's natural structure? I don't want to ruin it with treatment and straighteners :/

Or is there a convenient haircut to make it look nice and full? I don't know :(

I think you should try coconut oil! It worked for me! I have naturally super curly hair but lately I have been straightening it too much and not taking as good a care of it as I could be. I noticed my hair wouldnt curl as nicely as before :/ like the curls would be wonky or semi curl/wave versus tight spirals. It looked icky. I hadnt done coconut oil mask in about 2-3 months (busy with exams/work/life etc) so then I put a huge glob in and left it in there for a good 5-6 hours (while I did weekend chores around the house) and then washed it off. Instantly I noticed a drastic improvement in the shape of the curls they want from random wavy semi curls that looked gross and dead to tight spirals again! :D

I dont know if it would work for you but its my go to. And I have tried a LOT of products. My hair is impossible. Name a product I have tried it...from Garnier to Treseme to sunsilk to john friedman to crazy expensive B&B and redkin to salon products. Its like my hair hates everything. I even tried wen (did NOTHING. like NOTHING). Just a big curly frizzy poofy mess. Coconut oil is my only salvation. I used it a lot before and then I got spoiled and stopped using it so its back to icky frizz again and poof....with my hair losing its natural texture :/

Im going on a weekly regimine of it now :D

Google "no poo method" and there should be tons of info...I think you need to do it for a lot longer than a month. The logic behind it (which makes a lot of sense) is that when you shampoo with these harsh chemicals it strips your hair of natural oils and damages it....then you add chemical conditioners to fix it....but again those chemicals damage your hair....so your hair fights to produce natural oils to overcome the damage...but that causes your hair to get too oily too fast....so then you wash it again and its an ongoing crazy cycle. You should not be washing your hair too many times a week...it damages your hair and your scalp. I used to wash way too much and I developed really bad dandruff. Like horrid. After a few years of head and shoulders and nothing working I tried natural treatments and didnt fix anything. Finally I went to the doctor and now I have to use prescription level anti dandruff stuff because I stripped my scalp of natural oils THAT much! :(

I think you should try coconut oil! It worked for me! I have naturally super curly hair but lately I have been straightening it too much and not taking as good a care of it as I could be. I noticed my hair wouldnt curl as nicely as before :/ like the curls would be wonky or semi curl/wave versus tight spirals. It looked icky. I hadnt done coconut oil mask in about 2-3 months (busy with exams/work/life etc) so then I put a huge glob in and left it in there for a good 5-6 hours (while I did weekend chores around the house) and then washed it off. Instantly I noticed a drastic improvement in the shape of the curls they want from random wavy semi curls that looked gross and dead to tight spirals again! :D

I dont know if it would work for you but its my go to. And I have tried a LOT of products. My hair is impossible. Name a product I have tried it...from Garnier to Treseme to sunsilk to john friedman to crazy expensive B&B and redkin to salon products. Its like my hair hates everything. I even tried wen (did NOTHING. like NOTHING). Just a big curly frizzy poofy mess. Coconut oil is my only salvation. I used it a lot before and then I got spoiled and stopped using it so its back to icky frizz again and poof....with my hair losing its natural texture :/

Im going on a weekly regimine of it now :D

Google "no poo method" and there should be tons of info...I think you need to do it for a lot longer than a month. The logic behind it (which makes a lot of sense) is that when you shampoo with these harsh chemicals it strips your hair of natural oils and damages it....then you add chemical conditioners to fix it....but again those chemicals damage your hair....so your hair fights to produce natural oils to overcome the damage...but that causes your hair to get too oily too fast....so then you wash it again and its an ongoing crazy cycle. You should not be washing your hair too many times a week...it damages your hair and your scalp. I used to wash way too much and I developed really bad dandruff. Like horrid. After a few years of head and shoulders and nothing working I tried natural treatments and didnt fix anything. Finally I went to the doctor and now I have to use prescription level anti dandruff stuff because I stripped my scalp of natural oils THAT much! :(

I'll try coconut oil for sure! Going to search for some tomorrow inshaAllah. I'll try to minimize shampoo usage as well. My mother will be happy about that lol.

Thank you so much for tips!

wassalaam

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I had the same problems. ITs like catch 22 - Using shampoo dries the hair out/no using it makes hair greasy.

Im using some new products thats to the tips in this vid.

I ordered the silicon mix from ebay ($10) and then did the sauna thing like she said. Its amazing and doesn't make hair greasy!!! Also I bought the morroconoil from ebay ($15 :o) and that stuff makes your hair shiny as again without the greasy effect :))

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Hello. Regarding the "no poo" method, I have more or less been using this for last six months. If I notice my hair getting oily, I wash with bicarbonate soda, rinse it off then pour over apple cider vinegar and water and leave it to dry. You can also add essential oils if you don't like the smell. My hair is as soft and shiny as it's ever been.

Think of beautiful animals with silky hair/fur. All they ever use is water and saliva to wash (I'd probably give the saliva a miss). We put too many weird chemicals in our hair.

• Advanced Member

Well that's weird... My hair is best in the summer time! It's worst in winter, oh lord.... I think it's the dry scalp. But stay away from pantine products! I've found that sauve works best for me, but again the only shampoos I've ever used are either pantine, sauve, and head&should. But once you leave the shower never ever wrap your hair in a towel!!!!! And when you dry it, never ever rub it!!! Just gently pat dry your hair! And whilst you're shampooing, never rub your hair! Just smoothly massage your scalp and don't put shampoo on your tips! Put conditioner on your tips, but never on your scalp! Then when it's dry, go brush it. Don't brush it when it's wet!!!! Your hair is weak as heck when its wet and it get damaged when you brush it which causes split ends. When you're finally done, wear a hat, and you won't have puffy hurrrr :)