Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ethics

Irfan And Sufism I Dr. Farrokh Sekaleshfar |Series

Rate this topic

I think Irfan, which is knowledge of Allah (swt) is essence of faith unfortunately not too much of it is being taught these days in Shia school of thought. That is why Sufism is getting really popular because people are thirsty for this stuff.

But it is important to realize that to know Allah (swt), one needs to follow his commands to best of ability by doing wajibats and mostahabat and stay away from haram.

But for those who are against Irfan, this is what prophet himself said:

ـ رسولُ اللهِ‏ِ (صَلَّيَ اللهُ عَلَيهِ وَ آلِهِ): أفضَلُكُم إيماناً أفضَلُكُم مَعرِفَةً.

The Prophet (SAWA) said, ‘The ones from among you with the best faith are the ones with the best (gnostic) knowledge.

Anyways, I am stil listenting to this. Inshallah I get through both of them. I know Sheikh Qazwini has lectures on this too I posted before.

I think Irfan, which is knowledge of Allah (swt) is essence of faith unfortunately not too much of it is being taught these days in Shia school of thought. That is why Sufism is getting really popular because people are thirsty for this stuff..

That's an interesting observation considering that most people would say quite the opposite (that there is too much focus on irfan these days). There are huge disputes now in the hawzas, particulary Qum, on whether or not irfan should even be taught publicly.

(wasalam)

interesting, i finished his first video, great start. It seems as if the titles a bit misleading, but very interesting lecture. The second video is very interesting too. He talks about conditions of a illegitimate child, around 20 min, interesting as well.

Mashallah. He is one of my favorite speakers. I love especially the second lecture..

wow yea im almost done, i never thought of this aspect. I knew foods arnt just haram because but there is a spiritual and inner effect on us. subhannallah, wow. He doesnt only talk about only food, but this video is specifically about our true inner spiritual and metaphysical self and how things affect it. This is indeed a unbinding topic that vast.

lol he even talks about umars genealogy....his letter after saqifa, and his third lec discusses infallibility from sunni sources i believe also age of aisha and such.

Edited by PureEthics

lol he even talks about umars genealogy....his letter after saqifa, and his third lec discusses infallibility from sunni sources i believe also age of aisha and such.

Well, about that, I beg to differ. Just try passing these sorts of arguments by a Hamza Yusuf, or an Abdul Hakim Murad, and then just sit back and watch it get shredded into peices. :)

But everything else he said was great.

Edited by eThErEaL

so let me get this straight, everyone practice irfan or gnosticism, reach a high level of faith, then one day, while one is so immersed in their worship, the outsiders come in and bomb the [Edited Out] out of your land. Then the worshipper wakes up. How about improving the land you live in so that you dont get owned by outside forces. Isnt this is what is occuring in the so called muslim populated countries.

SubhanAllah, third video is great, must watch! Many topics discussed: Great examples of doctrines of which we take as an ends when its suppose to be a means, ie. wuhdu,infallibility of prophets, with sunni sources

I think Irfan, which is knowledge of Allah (swt) is essence of faith unfortunately not too much of it is being taught these days in Shia school of thought. That is why Sufism is getting really popular because people are thirsty for this stuff.

I disagree.

It's better for the Shias to avoid all the magical mystical stuff. Most of it is just a bunch of nonsense.

I disagree.

It's better for the Shias to avoid all the magical mystical stuff. Most of it is just a bunch of nonsense.

image002.jpg

And as for monasticism, they invented it themselves; We did not prescribe it for them, except for seeking the pleasure of Allah. (57:27)

I think your confusing Irfan with Harry Potter. With due respect but you sound really ignorant. Many think its magic, but it is not all. It simply implies there is a deeper spiritual meaning behind everything. For example, our purpose in life, it isnt just material existence, there is more to it. Or wuhdhu, do you really think Allah prescribed it only to wipe parts of your body? Is that really it? Of course not. Irfam/Mysticism is part of the science of Islam. Many people confuse it with Sufism. In this case it is within the realm of the teachings of ahlulbayt, gnosis. Sufism is condemned by the ahlulbayt because their approach is far from Islam's.I suggest reading a few articles on it before just randomly opposing because you really dont know its simple meaning.

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/irfan.htm

http://www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/islamic_gnosis_wisdom/

This is great book http://www.al-islam.org/LWM/ (Light Within Me by Tabatabai Mutahhari Khumayni)

Wa Salaam

That's an interesting observation considering that most people would say quite the opposite (that there is too much focus on irfan these days). There are huge disputes now in the hawzas, particulary Qum, on whether or not irfan should even be taught publicly.

(wasalam)

There is not a dispute whether or not Irfan is to be taught. All Ulama agree that Irfan should be taught(in later stages of Hawza). The dispute is whether what kind of Irfan should be taught, some say only Irfan taught by Aimmah(a). Some go further and say anything also Irfan taught by non-Masomeen, like Mulla Sadra, Ibn Arabi etc. as they claim that they also taught true Irfan.

Irfan means (self-)knowledge, so it is no big deal, unless you make it a big deal. It contains things like praying properly, thinking, fasting, seeking knowledge, etc.

Edited by Shiabro

There is not a dispute whether or not Irfan is to be taught. All Ulama agree that Irfan should be taught(in later stages of Hawza). The dispute is whether what kind of Irfan should be taught, some say only Irfan taught by Aimmah(a). Some go further and say anything also Irfan taught by non-Masomeen, like Mulla Sadra, Ibn Arabi etc. as they claim that they also taught true Irfan.

Irfan means (self-)knowledge, so it is no big deal, unless you make it a big deal. It contains things like praying properly, thinking, fasting, seeking knowledge, etc.

Well, I suppose terms are important here. But, I should first point out that I did explicitly mention the dispute primarily being centered around whether or not it should be taught publicly (later stages of Hawza studies would not be considered public in my view). Typically when people speak of irfan, they are not referring to simply the fiqh or such of the Ahl al-Bayt [as]. Of course, you have some scholars like Shaykh al-Fayyad who mean exactly that (namely, that true irfan is nothing more than following the fiqh of the Ahl al-Bayt [as]). However, this was largely a response to the overwhelming mass interest in the irfan that is usually found in Qum and is attempting to make its way into Najaf. Like you said, this 'type' of irfan, which is quite theoretical and based upon the hegemonic schools of thought associated with Ibn `Arabi and Mulla Sadra, is what people now refer to when they say 'irfan'. So, I both agree and disagree, as the term irfan has become so popular that those scholars like Shaykh al-Fayyad and others are trying to reorient it in a way that is synonymous with the fiqhi approach that they're interested in. However, it's important to note that the term 'irfan' is really not that old and has only really started becoming widely used a couple centuries ago. And when I speak of disputes, I'm largely referring to the intellectual debates between the proponents of the Sadrian school (which is by far the most popular at the moment) and the Maktab-i-Tafkik.

(wasalam)