Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-Reza

Going Back To School At 37, Any Tips?

Rate this topic

Salam All

So I have decided to go back to school at 37 to get my masters. I got my BS in computer science with minor in management because I knew the management route is what I wanted to take as I knew programming wasn't something I could do for a long time. After over 10 years coding, I made switch to IT management a few years ago and now I feel that I need to continue now that I am single again, this is my perfect chance.

This is straight personal. I am willing to take on investment personally here. I currently work as a manager and I see the need for it to get out of my "geeky" self and I think education is one way. Also I want to continue staying on to of things, methodologies, technology, and network.

I will probably attend a local State school either San Diego State or UC San Diego. My ideal school if the private school of USD which is actually a catholic school but has Muslim students too.

Anyway, I wanted to see if any of you went back to school at older age? What are some tips you can give? I am planning to continue working while going to school. Also considering my age not taking tests and finals in so many years, any tips you can give would be much appreciated.

(wasalam) brother

Haven't been back to school but I think that since you have worked for a significant amount of time you will probably find the course to be very theoretical (doesn't mean you won't like it), since university courses typically are quite theory-based. For this reason it's probably a good idea you're still working on the side.

Other than that, it's a good initiative and you might be able to benefit more from the course contents than most students since you can see exactly where it might fit into a professional organization. You will probably enjoy the change from professional life.

(bismillah)

(wasalam) bro

No, 37 is not an old age to go back to school. Normally, from my current and past experiences in University, the average age for people starting either their masters or Phd in Engineering or computer science is around the 30 range, so 37 isn't really far from that range. If you can study part time and work at the same time then that would give you the most benefit. Nevertheless, even if you stop working during your study period and only focus on studying is still pretty good. My dad is almost done his Masters in Electrical Engineering and soon going to start his PhD and he is much older than you.

في امان الله

Edited by PurifiedTruth

I have people with PhD's, Masters, people in their 50's studying with me. Heck, I think i am probably one of the youngest one in our class (200 students) or at least the youngest 5%. There is this one guy whose son is as old as me which is scary.

You should look at stats for average age in grad school for your major. You wont feel out of place.

Are you serious? I guess your children should be taking the admission into school at this age.

I don't have any kids (thank God). I remember when I was studying my undergrad a good portion of those studying where older working adults so it is not a big deal but just getting back into it maybe.

Brother in ideal world yes BUT kids today specially here in the west are pure trouble these days.

I see the kids of my family that how much their parents spending on them both in money and efforts and at the end they are still misguided and pure trouble that only demand and demand and demand...lets' just stay I am freaked out when it comes to kids.

Thats awsome! good on you. I was thinking about going back to school also, probably doing an Open University course, but undecided on what to go for.

You should be a dietitian/nutritionist

or

go all out and become a veterinarian or something

You should be a dietitian/nutritionist

or

go all out and become a veterinarian or something

O my word, i think becoming a vet is harder than becoming a doctor!? plus theres the germ issue :donno: ...nutrition is deffo an interest though =) if you could take a subject for fun, what would it be?

It is never too late to go back to school, it just depends on what you like, some spend their whole life away at university in faculty teaching and research positions etc, it can be very rewarding. Not to mention it is great to be around young people, it keeps you young and livens your spirits.

Thats awsome! good on you. I was thinking about going back to school also, probably doing an Open University course, but undecided on what to go for.

You would do really well in school, I wouldn't hesitate much if I were you, take something you are interested in and worthwhile, lots of very interesting topics to study, distance education or part time courses are a good start.

O my word, i think becoming a vet is harder than becoming a doctor!? plus theres the germ issue :donno: ...nutrition is deffo an interest though =) if you could take a subject for fun, what would it be?

That was my undergrad major. Oddly, out of about 150 students, roughly 130 were females. I guess its one of those majors with female predominance.

You would do really well in school, I wouldn't hesitate much if I were you, take something you are interested in and worthwhile, lots of very interesting topics to study, distance education or part time courses are a good start.

Thanks for the encouragement! th_103_.gif

That was my undergrad major. Oddly, out of about 150 students, roughly 130 were females. I guess its one of those majors with female predominance.

Yes, i remember you saying how useless you found it :D