Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Exercising

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

I like to walk for exercise. Usually get between 45mins - 1 hr a day. But i used to do ashtanga yoga, which was awsome. Great for building up strength and suppleness. I stopped last year and intend to restart soon. Its shocking how my leg muscles have seized up, ive even heard my knee's creek O.O kind of freaked me out.

• Advanced Member

Wow some of you are really into your exercise...i dont do any! My 24 year old body is probably like a 50 year olds, i have pains and aches everywhere, not helped by the fact i have had a child.

My only 'exercise' is running after my one year old boy who has plenty of energy (mashAllah).

I actually do not enjoy exercise, if i had to choose it would be walking or dancing, but hardly do either of them.

wowww, where've you found the time for all that? that's amazing, i wish i could do all that!

mainly, i just run, and play volleyball. i play tennis sometimes but im not too good at it so i drop it after a little while. i wanna take swimming, but there arent any women-only pools nearby, and i have no time :squeez:

• Veteran Member

wowww, where've you found the time for all that? that's amazing, i wish i could do all that!

mainly, i just run, and play volleyball. i play tennis sometimes but im not too good at it so i drop it after a little while. i wanna take swimming, but there arent any women-only pools nearby, and i have no time :squeez:

I dont do everything at once - that is the total life time list - I was trying to thoroughly respond to Lady Nadine's query as to what kind of activities sisters do so I could be helpful for her.

Every year - In the winter I ski and sometimes board (not many times this year, tho) and in the summer I walk a lot - USED to do water sports, that I listed, when I joined the sailing club at school. All those things, in my post, I have done or some, I want to do - like ice skate, cross country ski etc. I used to do a LOT of yoga but now do it about 3 times a week.

I dont have a lot of time anymore either. But I think that moms with babies could go on long walks with a stroller, or go to the park and chase your kids around and go on the playground equipment with them, etc. It would be nice to get outside if you are at home most of the time and it is good exercise and a great mental health break. They would probably meet other moms too.

Guest LadyNadine

I dont do everything at once - that is the total life time list - I was trying to thoroughly respond to Lady Nadine's query as to what kind of activities sisters do so I could be helpful for her.

Every year - In the winter I ski and sometimes board (not many times this year, tho) and in the summer I walk a lot - USED to do water sports, that I listed, when I joined the sailing club at school. All those things, in my post, I have done or some, I want to do - like ice skate, cross country ski etc. I used to do a LOT of yoga but now do it about 3 times a week.

I dont have a lot of time anymore either. But I think that moms with babies could go on long walks with a stroller, or go to the park and chase your kids around and go on the playground equipment with them, etc. It would be nice to get outside if you are at home most of the time and it is good exercise and a great mental health break. They would probably meet other moms too.

I figure you didn't. LOL

• Advanced Member

Exercise is an alien concept to muslim women, its like asking a muslim man to let his wife drive him around LOL! doesn't register.

That's too bad as Muslim women then tend to to start their "inflation process" soon after marriage and first child, and continue for a long time. Thankfully the trend nowadays seems to be for religious Muslim girls to be thin as a stick. This will leave more time for the inflation process, so that it takes longer until she gets inflated like a balloon.

But Muslims should make it a part of their lives to excercise to avoid overweightedness and obesity. I myself do walk quickly up to the top story of my house from the ground floor (5 stories), 3 to 5 times a day. Before that I used to go swimming but they raised the entrance fee and it has become unjustifiably expensive.

• Advanced Member

But I think that moms with babies could go on long walks with a stroller, or go to the park and chase your kids around and go on the playground equipment with them, etc. It would be nice to get outside if you are at home most of the time and it is good exercise and a great mental health break. They would probably meet other moms too.

I would if the weather is nice but living in the UK it is Always raining! So we end up going to indoor play areas which you get to by car so for me hardly any movement involved.

• Advanced Member

This is a great topic Lady Nadine - here is my wordy reply :D

I like to exercise and if I don't I become restless and irritable. I try to exercise as much outside as I can and in the winter choose winter sports. Skiing, boarding and tubing are all fun and exercise every muscle in your body. I would like to get into cross country skiing as it really is supposed to work every muscle in your body and you can do it till you are old and decrepit. It is a really demanding sport - although it doesn't look that way - it takes a lot of effort with both upper and lower body - downhill skiing/boarding uses gravity (my friend :P) I would also like to learn how to ice skate properly.

I walk a lot as I take the bus (because I am environmentally friendly and too cheap to buy a car - not sure which reason tops which). Used to ride a bike all over campus and have sailed lasers and pirates (don't know if this is what they are called in other parts of the world) and have canoed and kayaked which I would love to do again. I like to swim but where I am right now I cannot find a women only pool or times - private or public. I am also working right now so don't have as much free time. I find I have to find time to exercise now rather than it naturally becoming part of my day as it was before.

Used to play field hockey in school till the girls got too big and aggressive - around grade 10 and then really focused on individual sports and competed times and distances with myself. I agree with Sis Ruq that yoga is incredible and I also cannot recommend it enough - it keeps you flexible/supple, maintains core strength and releases tension and stress giving increased energy.

Biggest issue I have is upper body strength which I know girls use weights for but I cannot seem to like them. I find them heavy and awkward and extremely boring. I feel like a nutcase with them and am sure I look the same. I think I need to be entertained - wrong word but I don't know a better one - while I am doing it. If anyone has an entertaining and fun draw in to doing weights please let me know - I just want to strengthen my posture and feel a little more confident up top.

My mum was a high level skier in her country and introduced me to skiing when I was young. I want to do the same to my children (if I have them) and also swimming and love of water activities. Mums have a huge influence on their kids activity level and love of life - all things positive include a healthy body. I know that many Muslims feel that women should not exercise out of modesty concerns but you can easily be modest and active in body and, hence, spirit - a better choice than modest alone.

I do high intense cardio, such as kick boxing and bit of dancing a bit. I am always out of breath during this. I also lift weights.

I'm impressed. Keep it up.

All I see in muslim communities are mostly out of shape people. Its good to know atleast some are physically active.

• Veteran Member

Currently nothing, because I am busy with my work. But I have attended Yoga and self-defence classes.

Wow some of you are really into your exercise...i dont do any! My 24 year old body is probably like a 50 year olds, i have pains and aches everywhere, not helped by the fact i have had a child.

My only 'exercise' is running after my one year old boy who has plenty of energy (mashAllah).

I actually do not enjoy exercise, if i had to choose it would be walking or dancing, but hardly do either of them.

Motherhood must be the most difficult job in the world (especially taking care of little curious toddlers).

• Advanced Member

well im doing Kettleworx, its 20 min 3x a week (but i do it 5x), workout aimed at targetting all muscles in your body, you burn fat and tone up at the same time, and the results are amazing!! :)

What is kettleworx? Is it a class?

I try to work out at least 4-5 times a week. I don't really have much time on hand (nor the patience/ interest) so I usually just do a bit of weight training and 20mins of HIIT...I love being fit and healthy

• Advanced Member

I use to do wing chun kung fu ..but stopped a few months ago..i miss it so muchhh....now i just walk for about 80 minutes everyday...i really need something new...does anyone have any good suggestion for muslim women in the uk...most classes here are with boys which require physical contact therefore not suitable for muslim women...

• Veteran Member

But Muslims should make it a part of their lives to excercise to avoid overweightedness and obesity. I myself do walk quickly up to the top story of my house from the ground floor (5 stories), 3 to 5 times a day. Before that I used to go swimming but they raised the entrance fee and it has become unjustifiably expensive.

lol, i think im going to ditch the ashtanga yoga and make 'going upstairs' my exercise quota for the day too...argh! damn it >.< i live in a bungalow.

Guest LadyNadine

I use to do wing chun kung fu ..but stopped a few months ago..i miss it so muchhh....now i just walk for about 80 minutes everyday...i really need something new...does anyone have any good suggestion for muslim women in the uk...most classes here are with boys which require physical contact therefore not suitable for muslim women...

I do exercising videos from home. :)

• Veteran Member

i believe you have a lcd and laptop at home.

buy an hdmi port,connect with ur laptop and lcd.

download p90X or TapOut XT MMA workout torrent

buy a mat

start a 90 day program

motivate yourself

stick to the plan

enjoy

Edited by AnaAmmar1
  • Advanced Member

i believe you have a lcd and laptop at home.

buy an hdmi port,connect with ur laptop and lcd.

download p90X or TapOut XT MMA workout torrent

buy a mat

start a 90 day program

motivate yourself

stick to the plan

enjoy

So she's gonna do sparring with the aaaair? :P haha

• Advanced Member

So she's gonna do sparring with the aaaair? :P haha

I do exercising videos from home. :)

umm...since i live in an apartment i dont think exercising at home is a good idea, unless i want to be kicked out....i was wondering if jogging in the park is considered 'Islamic' and 'modest' given that the girl is wearing very loose clothing? i assume this is not a problem in the west right?

• Veteran Member

umm...since i live in an apartment i dont think exercising at home is a good idea, unless i want to be kicked out....i was wondering if jogging in the park is considered 'Islamic' and 'modest' given that the girl is wearing very loose clothing? i assume this is not a problem in the west right?

(salam)

It's up to you but I think it would be fine if you wore something loose and kind of long (shirt at least mid thigh) and some loose jogging pants. You might also prefer to go in the morning like after fajr because there are a lot less people and it's cooler. Many Muslim women do it but try it out and see how comfortable you feel. An alternative if you feel immodest jogging would be to speed walk which can also give you plenty of exercise but you don't feel quite as weird.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

It's up to you but I think it would be fine if you wore something loose and kind of long (shirt at least mid thigh) and some loose jogging pants. You might also prefer to go in the morning like after fajr because there are a lot less people and it's cooler. Many Muslim women do it but try it out and see how comfortable you feel. An alternative if you feel immodest jogging would be to speed walk which can also give you plenty of exercise but you don't feel quite as weird.

Yes, this is what i am planning to do...go after fajr and wear something really loose...thnx fr the advice.. ^_^