Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Makruh To Say Salam To Non-Mahram

Rate this topic

Chiddler

• Advanced Member

Salam alaykum friends,

I'm trying to find a source for this because my (muslim) coworker is asking me to verify the claim:

It is makruh to greet a non mahram woman as a man

I found a source for sistani that agrees with this. What about other maraji'? Is this a very common claim? I would really love the hadith that is evidence for this claim, if anybody has it handy.

thanks very much.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

I found a source for sistani that agrees with this. What about other maraji'? Is this a very common claim? I would really love the hadith that is evidence for this claim, if anybody has it handy.

It is permissible for a man to say salaam to women, but per hadeeth it is makrooh to say it to young women.

بَابُ جَوَازِ تَسْلِيمِ الرَّجُلِ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَرَاهَتِهِ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ وَ جَوَازِ رَدِّهِنَّ عَلَيْهِ

Chapter on the permissibility for a man to say salām to women and it being makrūh to the young women, and the permissibility for them to reply to him

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَعْقُوبَ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ حَمَّادِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ رِبْعِيِّ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ يَرْدُدْنَ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامَ وَ كَانَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَانَ يَكْرَهُ أَنْ يُسَلِّمَ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ مِنْهُنَّ وَ يَقُولُ أَتَخَوَّفُ أَنْ يُعْجِبَنِي صَوْتُهَا فَيَدْخُلَ عَلَيَّ أَكْثَرُ مِمَّا أَطْلُبُ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ

From Rabi`ī b. `Abd Allāh from Abī `Abd Allāh (عليه السلام) said, the Messenger of Allāh (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) used to say salām to the women, and they would reply salām to him. And Amīr al-Mu’minīn (عليه السلام) used to say salām to the women, but he would hate to say salām to the young women from them. He (عليه السلام) would say, ‘I fear that their voices would attract me, and what enters me (this feeling) is more (harmful) than the reward I seek (for offering salām)'

Source:

al-Kulayni, al-Kaafi, vol. 2, pg. 648, hadeeth # 1

Grading:

al-Majlisi said this hadeeth is Hasan (Good)

--> Mir'aat al-`Uqool, vol. 12, pg. 545

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

It is permissible for a man to say salaam to women, but per hadeeth it is makrooh to say it to young women.

بَابُ جَوَازِ تَسْلِيمِ الرَّجُلِ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَرَاهَتِهِ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ وَ جَوَازِ رَدِّهِنَّ عَلَيْهِ

Chapter on the permissibility for a man to say salām to women and it being makrūh to the young women, and the permissibility for them to reply to him

مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَعْقُوبَ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ حَمَّادِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ رِبْعِيِّ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ يَرْدُدْنَ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامَ وَ كَانَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَانَ يَكْرَهُ أَنْ يُسَلِّمَ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ مِنْهُنَّ وَ يَقُولُ أَتَخَوَّفُ أَنْ يُعْجِبَنِي صَوْتُهَا فَيَدْخُلَ عَلَيَّ أَكْثَرُ مِمَّا أَطْلُبُ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ

From Rabi`ī b. `Abd Allāh from Abī `Abd Allāh (عليه السلام) said, the Messenger of Allāh (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) used to say salām to the women, and they would reply salām to him. And Amīr al-Mu’minīn (عليه السلام) used to say salām to the women, but he would hate to say salām to the young women from them. He (عليه السلام) would say, ‘I fear that their voices would attract me, and what enters me (this feeling) is more (harmful) than the reward I seek (for offering salām)'

Source:

al-Kulayni, al-Kaafi, vol. 2, pg. 648, hadeeth # 1

Grading:

al-Majlisi said this hadeeth is Hasan (Good)

--> Mir'aat al-`Uqool, vol. 12, pg. 545

(salam)

Salamalaikum brother,

And I often don't see women greeting men with alaikas salam instead they initiate like men by saying salamalaikum.