Sign in to follow this  
Queen Yoda II

Which Is The Best Martial Art To Study?

Rate this topic

muay thai is good for coordination of fighting with arms and legs and also build up stamina and even core strength, however if you want to be able with your legs then do taekwondo, although taekwondo is not sufficient on its own but good for fundamentals

for arms do boxing, and once you have done some taekwondo and muay thai and boxing, move onto Brazilian jiujitsu because that is a world of its own

spend at lest 6 months on taekwondo and boxing before doing kixkboxing/muay thai , then stick with only muay thai and brazilian jiu jitsu

if you find you are not well founded on boxing or kicking , then go back to taekwondo and boxing whichever needs to be sharpened

if you want to test whether your skills are adequate then after you do either boxing or kixkboxing or taekwondo or muay thai or bjj then have a competition fight, and if you win with ease you should be good to move on, if you struggle your fallacies wil be uncovered to u during the match

dont be afraid to get hurt or beat up or lose, and if you get knocked out consider it a trophy because i remember after i got knocked out in boxing i learned the most from it and after it, it was a real turning point for me, als it doesnt hurt if you get knocked out so dont fear it, its like falling asleep but being unconscious about it it happens instantly if you get hit in the right spot or you are exhausted and hit in a sensitive spot

Edited by yukapuka

Question:

Does anyone know of a place where you could spend a couple of months or even a year or more just solely focusing on a traditional style of martial arts? A place where you could train with a master, preferably in Brazilian ju-jitsu or other art, day in and day out? I'd much rather spend a year doing something like that rather than spend a year in the howza.

Edited by YariAzQuran

Brazilian JJ in Brazil i would guess.

you might want to consider Dengfeng in China, which is basically a Kung Fu City, with Shaolin style

they have countless schools for people who want to train 24/7 over long periods. and the nature there is stunning nested in holy mountains and birthplace of zen buddhism and taoism in China

Wing Chun is the ultimate. Bruce Lee never even mastered WC- yet he put it perfectly when he stated that a Karate punch is like being struck with an iron bar, whereas a Wing Chun punch is like being hit with an iron ball on a chain. Emphasising that Karate like most other martial arts are based on brute force, whereas WC utilises forward moving energy, and one conserves one's energy when "chain punching", thereby inflicting maximum volume of strikes, with hard power only applied at the last second before impact. The results are truly devastating. Wing Chun can be for any size guy especially to take on a larger opponent and it is ideal for women to learn too. In fact legend has it that Wing Chun was formulated by a Shaolin nun to combat against a man.

they have countless schools for people who want to train 24/7 over long periods.

Do you know of or can you refer me to any specific ones? If not, do you know where I can start looking to try and find one?

Edited by YariAzQuran

am trying to reach the one who was my contact there, if not, i have another training mate who is going there in a couple of days. can put you into contact with him perhaps. let's see, will PM you most likely

but i found my way via research online. there are many websites and just make sure they are in dengfeng, although i know of people who went to other holy mountains like wudang etc. make some research.

Done Taekwondo for a number of years and i wouldn't recommend it as absolutely the best style to use. The idea is your leg is the longest part of your body and puts a lot of distance b/w you and your opponent and the leg is rather powerful. There are a lot of fairly fancy kicks though. In a real situation, you want something simply and very effective because you might not get to make a mistake twice. You really don't want to have to recall a complicated series of steps to pull of a kick. Of course, a lot of the martial arts, are arts like painting or dancing, they have philosophy, spiritiuality, history and meaning behind them. All the moves have an underlying philosophy and method behind them but none of these things will help you out when push comes to shove.

For looking after yourself, you don't really want an art. As a general rule, the more modern a style is, the more useful it will be for protecting yourself or someone else, easily as well. Things like Krav Maga are a combination of what works best, theres no real philosophy, art or history behind them, its just a simple collection of what works. They include things like poking your opponent in the eye or punching them in the throat. Obviously, its serious about defending yourself, only when you absolutely need to as well, no playing around here. Even something just called '(Wo)men's Self Defence' will do just fine, i've seen a lot of classes around for things like this. The army and the police force don't teach their soldiers Taekwondo or Karate for a reason, its not the most efficient way.

Edited by Pascal

working hard laborious jobs for years and years. The kind of jobs office sitting fat slobs like us, look down upon the individuals who do them, because they earn less then us. Yet we buy the products they create, package and produce so we can run around and pretend we are worth something.

Edited by D3v1L

AA

Just few observations:

1. The type of style you want depends on your objectives.. What do you want to achieve... Do you just want to improve your fitness or do you have someone in mind who needs to be taught a lesson !! Many suggestions here are really good if you want to be a professional fighter...

2. You may have to do some search locally for yourself.. I see little is searching internet for all sorts of martial arts out there when you only have one style being taught locally/ with in your reach etc. Here, "reach" means having a mode of transport etc..

3. Finally, learn to run fast.. Few martial artists can compete with that !!

Regards;

Ive done the following martial arts since i was a child

- shotokan karate

- judo

- boxing

- taekwondo

- chinese boxing

- muay thai

i never wanted to to BJJ because its kind of gay.

you split martial arts into standing up and on the mat. the best martial art is no martial art but a combination of muay thai, boxing and wing tzun (standing up) and BJJ with graeco roman wrestling (mat work)

if you are a sister, dont bother. carry a gun a tazer or a panic alarm

AA

Just few observations:

1. The type of style you want depends on your objectives.. What do you want to achieve... Do you just want to improve your fitness or do you have someone in mind who needs to be taught a lesson !! Many suggestions here are really good if you want to be a professional fighter...

2. You may have to do some search locally for yourself.. I see little is searching internet for all sorts of martial arts out there when you only have one style being taught locally/ with in your reach etc. Here, "reach" means having a mode of transport etc..

3. Finally, learn to run fast.. Few martial artists can compete with that !!

Regards;

Not really for fitness, more for self defence. That said I do boxing now (with pink boxing gloves). I can run pretty fast :)

Ive done the following martial arts since i was a child

- shotokan karate

- judo

- boxing

- taekwondo

- chinese boxing

- muay thai

i never wanted to to BJJ because its kind of gay.

you split martial arts into standing up and on the mat. the best martial art is no martial art but a combination of muay thai, boxing and wing tzun (standing up) and BJJ with graeco roman wrestling (mat work)

if you are a sister, dont bother. carry a gun a tazer or a panic alarm

In the UK, we cant carry tazers. I have a panic alarm on my keyring, but of course it takes time to fish that out of your handbag. Women can learn martial arts too :)

Not really for fitness, more for self defence. That said I do boxing now (with pink boxing gloves). I can run pretty fast :)

In the UK, we cant carry tazers. I have a panic alarm on my keyring, but of course it takes time to fish that out of your handbag. Women can learn martial arts too :)

Im from the UK sis, i got spare tazers and stun guns (the ones you have to press into the person and press a button). also got CS gas, pepper spray and retractable wands. take your pick. if you want one just lemme know but do NOT get caught with them.

Im from the UK sis, i got spare tazers and stun guns (the ones you have to press into the person and press a button). also got CS gas, pepper spray and retractable wands. take your pick. if you want one just lemme know but do NOT get caught with them.

Where did you get tazers? ive always wanted a tazer.

The best martial arts to learn I would say are Muay Thai as this involves knees elbows and a lot of moving, better for someone going against a larger opponent. Brazilian jiu jitsu as if someone were to get the drop on you and take you to the ground you would be able to defend yourself adequately. And certain forms of karate as they teach u great fighting techniques and most importantly it's a mental discipline teaching you to centre yourself.

Llyoto Machida is the least hit fighter in MMA history his styles were karate n jiu jitsu if I'm not mistaken