Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-Reza

Donating Body Parts

Rate this topic

I just heard on the news some Iranian lady who passed away gave away her body organs and hence she saved 7 lives.

Now while I think that is great to save lives, and I wanted to see whats the marjas ruling on this?

According to Ayatullah Sistani it seems to be OK.

Thoughts, other rulings?

It is permissible, but it is not permissible, as a measure of precaution, to cut an organ of a dead Muslim if he bequeathed, unless a Muslim’s life is in danger.

dude, that means its not allowed. It is only allowed when your alive and your saving someones life, and even then it must be a muslim.

It is permissible, but it is not permissible, as a measure of precaution, to cut an organ of a dead Muslim if he bequeathed, unless a Muslim’s life is in danger.

dude, that means its not allowed. It is only allowed when your alive and your saving someones life, and even then it must be a muslim.

ya I was afraid it meant that!

The reason I ask this is that I have my ID as donor from back in the days...

Nonsense. There's no basis to restrict it at all.

Has anyone ever asked a Marja3 if it is alright to be an organ donor when there is a high likelihood (but not certainty) that the organs will be given to a non muslim (like when one lives in a non muslim country). It's one of those questions on the back of my mind that i keep trying to remember to ask my local scholar, but when i sit in front of him, i draw a blank!

People change all the time, perhaps the non muslim i donated my kidney to might one day be in the army of the Imam (as). The story of the magicians at the time of Musa is a testament to this.

Well, it's good at least that you admit you have no basis other than blind followership.

Ill rather follow someone who has more knowledge than I do, then do someone that could be a sin. Would you rather let a surgeon do surgery on you, or would you do it yourself? I understand you may be emotionally attached to this, but before making a judgement know the reasons behind that law.

The main reason is that your body parts will go to unknown person, unless you know for certain it is a muslim, which isnt possible. Because of this uncertainty it isnt permissible. What ever that person does sin or w.e will be on your hands for allowing him to use your body parts. Its like giving a heart to hitler and saying but i did a good deed i saved a life, but you also receive his bad deeds as you kept him alive. Dont get me wrong here, as not everyone is a killer, but i hope you get the jest of the argument.

This is from Sistani

Q131: Is it permissible to donate the eye or kidney of a living human being for another?

A: It is not permissible to donate the eye. As for donating a kidney, for one who has another healthy one, it is permissible. (FM, p. 415)

Q132: Some people stipulate in their will that some organs of their body may be removed after death for the purpose of transplantation in the body of another human being in need of them. Is this kind of will correct, and is it permissible to excise those parts (of the body) in such a case?

A: [Certainly not. It is not correct and is not permissible] if the testator is a Muslim, except if the life of another Muslim depends on this, then it is permissible even if the donor has not made such a will. But [the diyah will be obligatory on the one who does the excision] except where it is done according to a will, in which case there is no diyah on him. (FM, pp. 415-16)

Post-Mortem Examination

Q133: Dissection of a corpse after death, if it is done for a reasonable purpose such as criminal investigation, teaching of medicine or similar purposes.

A: It is not permissible to dissect a Muslim corpse for these kinds of reasons. The dissecting of the body of an unbeliever whose blood is not protected during his lifetime is permissible, and likewise when the protection of his blood is doubtful, if there is no shar'i sign of it being so (protected). (FM, p. 416)

Apparently, your question has three parts. The first part is on the

permissibility of receiving organ donation. This has been responded to

recently and will be appearing along with the other answers on the net.

The second part is about signing of an organ donor card. The following

mas'alah by Ayt Seestani throws some light on it.

"If a person has willed that some parts of his body be cut after his

death so as to join a body of a living person without the life of the

living person depending on it (i.e. on the amputated part), then acting

upon such a will and the cutting (of parts) is problemsome (ishkaal).

But, what is apparent is that no compensation will be due from the one

who cuts the parts [i.e. from the donee]." (Al-Seestani, Minhaj

al-swaliheen, v.1,Qum, 1414, p.458)

It seems from this mas'alah and other related masaa'il that leaving a

will (wasiyyah) saying that one's organs be donated is permissible

provided it is clearly and emphatically stated that the organ will only

be donated to a person whose survival depends on receiving the said organ

or organs.(Whether this can be done in organ donor cards needs to be

studied).

As for Ayatullah al-Khu'i (may God be pleased with his ruh), he says that

one can say in his/her will that his organs will be used by the one who

needs it. It can also be placed in an organ bank and used later on by

either a Muslim or non-Muslim. However, al-Khu'i qualified the answer by

saying that it is preferable and better (afdal wa ahsan) to specify that

such organ donations will go to Muslims.(Al-Khu'i, Muniyatul Masaa'il,

Beirut, 1412, p.222)

The last part of your question refers to giving organs to people of the

book. When Ayt Seestani said (in our earlier posting) that we can not cut

a Muslim's body to put in a Kafir's body, he meant, according to our

understanding, that a Muslim's body can only be cut up for helping

another Muslim. Of course, what has been said earlier on organ donation

still applies.

Edited by PureEthics

Nope. Emotions don't have anything to do with it. It's kind of sleazy for you to suggest that. No, my basis is that I've been through these discussions before, and have come to know there is nothing in the texts that touches on it, directly or indirectly. I have respect for Seestani, but he goes beyond his proper bounds here to even suggest that there is anything problematic. Al-Khui takes the more evidence based conservative approach here; Seestani represents a regression. However, even with Seestani, an overall reading of everything shows a generally positive attithtude toward the idea of organ donation. Where you are getting off trying to suggest it is forbidden is mystifying. You're trying to mislead people away from a good act; it's reprehensible.

The main reason is that your body parts will go to unknown person, unless you know for certain it is a muslim, which isnt possible. Because of this uncertainty it isnt permissible. What ever that person does sin or w.e will be on your hands for allowing him to use your body parts. Its like giving a heart to hitler and saying but i did a good deed i saved a life, but you also receive his bad deeds as you kept him alive. Dont get me wrong here, as not everyone is a killer, but i hope you get the jest of the argument.

First, the word is "gist." A jest is a joke. Second, this is your own baseless speculation. Nothing in these juristic opinions says anything of the sort.

Nope. Emotions don't have anything to do with it. It's kind of sleazy for you to suggest that. No, my basis is that I've been through these discussions before, and have come to know there is nothing in the texts that touches on it, directly or indirectly. I have respect for Seestani, but he goes beyond his proper bounds here to even suggest that there is anything problematic. Al-Khui takes the more evidence based conservative approach here; Seestani represents a regression. However, even with Seestani, an overall reading of everything shows a generally positive attithtude toward the idea of organ donation. Where you are getting off trying to suggest it is forbidden is mystifying. You're trying to mislead people away from a good act; it's reprehensible.

First, the word is "gist." A jest is a joke. Second, this is your own baseless speculation. Nothing in these juristic opinions says anything of the sort.

as i said brother, do what ever you wish.

You do what you wish for yourself too. Just stop trying to misrepresent and mislead others here. It's not right.

woahh, please stop there.I myself am an very stern about the issue of telling people whats right or wrong especially on this site. If i was trying to "mislead" as you say I would have told you that you were wrong. All I did was tell my brother, what the law according to sistani was as he misinterpret it. Even when i say if someone is right or wrong, i tell them whos opinion i got it from and i leave it at that, i dont make them do anything, nor push my opinion on them. I honestly dont know whats your issue all of a sudden, but what ever. wa salaam

woahh, please stop there.I myself am an very stern about the issue of telling people whats right or wrong especially on this site. If i was trying to "mislead" as you say I would have told you that you were wrong. All I did was tell my brother, what the law according to sistani was as he misinterpret it. Even when i say if someone is right or wrong, i tell them whos opinion i got it from and i leave it at that, i dont make them do anything, nor push my opinion on them. I honestly dont know whats your issue all of a sudden, but what ever. wa salaam

My concern is that I don't feel you really accurately transmitted, at least initially what Sistani was actually saying though. Kudos to you though for posting full fatawaa afterwards so people could read for themselves.

Edited by kadhim

Well, it's good at least that you admit you have no basis other than blind followership.

The essence of Shia faith is to follow. That is what it means. Shias are followers. They fllow follow Imams and in their absence they follow the most qualified scholar. Do your research and then follow one it doesnt have to be Aya. Sistani.

Thanks PureEthics.

This will not work in the west because Yankqui bustards shoot first and ask questions later and then get away with the help of racist courts and madoff like DECEITFULL and lying Lawyers, the scum of all the professionals.

In addition, they will try to take off your corneas rather than focus on protecting your life. I suggest on your driving license, no donation at all.

Ill rather follow someone who has more knowledge than I do, then do someone that could be a sin. Would you rather let a surgeon do surgery on you, or would you do it yourself? I understand you may be emotionally attached to this, but before making a judgement know the reasons behind that law.

This is from Sistani

Q131: Is it permissible to donate the eye or kidney of a living human being for another?

A: It is not permissible to donate the eye. As for donating a kidney, for one who has another healthy one, it is permissible. (FM, p. 415)

Q132: Some people stipulate in their will that some organs of their body may be removed after death for the purpose of transplantation in the body of another human being in need of them. Is this kind of will correct, and is it permissible to excise those parts (of the body) in such a case?

A: [Certainly not. It is not correct and is not permissible] if the testator is a Muslim, except if the life of another Muslim depends on this, then it is permissible even if the donor has not made such a will. But [the diyah will be obligatory on the one who does the excision] except where it is done according to a will, in which case there is no diyah on him. (FM, pp. 415-16)

Post-Mortem Examination

Q133: Dissection of a corpse after death, if it is done for a reasonable purpose such as criminal investigation, teaching of medicine or similar purposes.

A: It is not permissible to dissect a Muslim corpse for these kinds of reasons. The dissecting of the body of an unbeliever whose blood is not protected during his lifetime is permissible, and likewise when the protection of his blood is doubtful, if there is no shar'i sign of it being so (protected). (FM, p. 416)

Apparently, your question has three parts. The first part is on the

permissibility of receiving organ donation. This has been responded to

recently and will be appearing along with the other answers on the net.

The second part is about signing of an organ donor card. The following

mas'alah by Ayt Seestani throws some light on it.

"If a person has willed that some parts of his body be cut after his

death so as to join a body of a living person without the life of the

living person depending on it (i.e. on the amputated part), then acting

upon such a will and the cutting (of parts) is problemsome (ishkaal).

But, what is apparent is that no compensation will be due from the one

who cuts the parts [i.e. from the donee]." (Al-Seestani, Minhaj

al-swaliheen, v.1,Qum, 1414, p.458)

It seems from this mas'alah and other related masaa'il that leaving a

will (wasiyyah) saying that one's organs be donated is permissible

provided it is clearly and emphatically stated that the organ will only

be donated to a person whose survival depends on receiving the said organ

or organs.(Whether this can be done in organ donor cards needs to be

studied).

As for Ayatullah al-Khu'i (may God be pleased with his ruh), he says that

one can say in his/her will that his organs will be used by the one who

needs it. It can also be placed in an organ bank and used later on by

either a Muslim or non-Muslim. However, al-Khu'i qualified the answer by

saying that it is preferable and better (afdal wa ahsan) to specify that

such organ donations will go to Muslims.(Al-Khu'i, Muniyatul Masaa'il,

Beirut, 1412, p.222)

The last part of your question refers to giving organs to people of the

book. When Ayt Seestani said (in our earlier posting) that we can not cut

a Muslim's body to put in a Kafir's body, he meant, according to our

understanding, that a Muslim's body can only be cut up for helping

another Muslim. Of course, what has been said earlier on organ donation

still applies.

This will not work in the west because Yankqui bustards shoot first and ask questions later and then get away with the help of racist courts and madoff like DECEITFULL and lying Lawyers, the scum of all the professionals.

In addition, they will try to take off your corneas rather than focus on protecting your life. I suggest on your driving license, no donation at all.

Edited by lalamoosa

The essence of Shia faith is to follow. That is what it means. Shias are followers. They fllow follow Imams and in their absence they follow the most qualified scholar. Do your research and then follow one it doesnt have to be Aya. Sistani.

Thanks PureEthics.

Problem is the following ultimately has to be of the guidance of our actual religious sources. And there's nothing in the sources about this aside from the general principle that saving lives is a great thing. If anyone here thinks there is anything other than this, please share the relevant Quran and hadeeth. Any marja who comes up with fatwas forbidding or restricting organ donation is not "following the imams." He is making things up out of thin air just for the sake of having an opinion.

Diagnosis: Stupidity.

Prognosis: Terminal.

Hence the need for scholars who are on top of their game and aware of their changing times.

I would also like to see explanations on how they've arrived to their ruling. People these days won't just accept things blindely.

The fact that most people believe in bodily resurrection, deems any excuse for prohibiting organ donation irrelevant. You'll get your body parts back guys don't worry, let others make use of them if they can in this world at least.

Give a brother a hand, ha.

^It's absurd, frankly. The organs are just going to rot. Bacteria will eat them and turn them into putrid slime. Why not let them be of use if they could be of use? It's like having a fridge full of meat and throwing it out instead of giving it to feed the poor.

One discussion I had about this someone tried to argue that there was a problem with signing up to be an organ donor because our bodies are not our own to do with as we please, they are given to us as a trust by God. Whereas, ironically, this is probably the strongest argument FOR giving your organs.

Edited by kadhim

^It's absurd, frankly. The organs are just going to rot. Bacteria will eat them and turn them into putrid slime. Why not let them be of use if they could be of use? It's like having a fridge full of meat and throwing it out instead of giving it to feed the poor.

One discussion I had about this someone tried to argue that there was a problem with signing up to be an organ donor because our bodies are not our own to do with as we please, they are given to us as a trust by God. Whereas, ironically, this is probably the strongest argument FOR giving your organs.

does this argument apply irrespective of whether the person is alive or dead?

does this argument apply irrespective of whether the person is alive or dead?

Well, for the living donor, the calculations get more complicated since the person still has use for his organs. Elements of avoiding self-harm come into play. Some things you can donate without overly harming yourself, some things you can't do without.