Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
kiptanui

Feeling Negative/depressed

Rate this topic

so a few minutes ago i felt negative, depressed and gloomy. and now I am fine and positive. its like some negative images came into my mind and then went away.

i am not crazy. this stuff happens to all of us. but what to do about it?

its cold outside and earlier i went out and felt down after coming back from the hussainiya. the dua kumail was sad and didnt help!! man whats up with me ???

well, based on my own experiences, something is wrong in your unconscious mind. think deeply about yourself and ask yourself what is wrong which makes you this feeling then try to find out solution.

One possible explanation is that Muslims are spiritually connected. It could be that you have close spiritually bonds and of the same rank with those you yourself do not know (in physical form). Perhaps they are grieving and you had a whiff of it.

I can relate one personal experience which until today I do not have a clue. It was one Eid Adha a couple of years back. Eid Adha has always been a normal day. However on that particular day I was stricken by grief all day long. As if my heart sank to the floor. OK. I am a dude. We are not swayed by emotions. Reasoning is our staple diet. I scratched my head. I ruled out whether any of my family members were missing me cos we are always in contact. I really do not know. Unless one have experienced such a thing, it's hard to explain.

My suggestion is to examine your thoughts. What were you thinking about just before and/or during the moment you started to feel depressed? from my own experience, i know this can be hard to identify, as thoughts can flit so quickly through the mind. Next time you notice this depressed feeling coming on, stop, sit somewhere quiet if you can and write down the thoughts you were having just before/at the point the depressive feelings started. Writing them down seems to help, as it like grabbing a hold of them and pinning them down. Once you have the list of thoughts, you can begin to enquire into their validity.

I think sometimes we need to think less and act more. Get out with your friends, do some walking and excersize, some Halal fun and halal social things.

Those work for me the best when I get into that zone.

parto i am happier than most folks.

ruq you got it spot on!! this is what i do but it only works to a limit.

i am disappointed with myself!! how can a dark cold night make me miserable? i was listening to dua on tv today and it made me miserable!!

i am startin to think we messed up how we worship. our duas are all sad .... even the quran makes me sad now. is it cause i listen to no music or nasheeds??

raficsulejmanovic dont kid yourself. dudes are emotional.

parto i am happier than most folks.

ruq you got it spot on!! this is what i do but it only works to a limit.

i am disappointed with myself!! how can a dark cold night make me miserable? i was listening to dua on tv today and it made me miserable!!

i am startin to think we messed up how we worship. our duas are all sad .... even the quran makes me sad now. is it cause i listen to no music or nasheeds??

raficsulejmanovic dont kid yourself. dudes are emotional.

Salams again,

You can counter-act this by creating your own ways to positively celebrate. Spending some time contemplating all the blessings available to us is the best way ive found. Try concentrating on one catagory at a time. One thing i sometimes do when im walking/exercising, is to go from head to toe (or toe to head) and list all the bodily functions i have been blessed with and thank God for them and how they allow me to do all kinds of things without too much struggle. Another time, you could concentrate on listing the blessings we can experience of the natural world. The beauty and inspiration it gives us, the tastes and nutrition is supplies, the medicine and remedies etc etc. Then another time you might like to focus on the awsomeness of space and maybe listen to a lecture on astronomy. This is good for really zooming out your perspective.

Just some suggestions for you there.

This is an elaborate idea, but basically, i believe all human emotions are healthy, and need to be experienced.

Context, my friends, is what determines if it's healthy. This is what we need to get right.

Sadness, uncertainty, happiness, hope, longing, regret, anticipation etcetera ad infinitum

Islam is beautiful because of it's layers. We're sad, yet happy. Have certainty, but are so uncertain. At first glace, this seems contradictory

Remember the word on sesame street today? Context.

We're sad when we see or experience injustice, pain, suffering, yet we are happy because we know when it happens to us we are being tested (and never punished, i don't believe any muslim gets punished in this world), and we are also happy because we know The All Knower sees exactly what we're going through. He understands our pain in a way not even our nearest and dearest do. And we know His Justice will prevail. This is best and most vividly experienced when we the faithful remember the tragedy of Kerbala.

We're certain in our beliefs, in our strive to get to Allah, yet we are uncertain about our sincerity of our actions, how well we uphold our religion. That uncertainty is needed to stop us from delving into arrogance.

There are many other examples. Ruq was right about trying to find out why you feel the 'negative' emotions. Jot them down. Then try and figure out if you need to worry about them at all. More importantly, feel those 'negative' emotions for the 'right' reasons, as i touched upon in my 2 examples above. Islam is all about giving every emotion it's due attention.

And Allah (SWT) knows best

Interestingly I just wrote about this very thing the other day because another friend was speaking about being depressed. This is what I wrote;

I found the cure to depression was to have/accept my purpose in life and stop thinking so much about myself... about what I was missing and start counting my blessings instead.

Salaam and blessings to you.

Watch what thinking patterns and beliefs creates [or intensify] depressive state of consciousness. Once identify, reason with yourself with better knowledge and better reasoning. Rebuke those thinking patterns, beliefs, line-of-reasoning, line-of-thinking etc via sure-knowledge and logic, just end them.

And don't let the environment get the better of you. Use your imagination to create your own environment, inner realm which creates the best spiritual and morale tone in you.

Watch what thinking patterns and beliefs creates [or intensify] depressive state of consciousness. Once identify, reason with yourself with better knowledge and better reasoning. Rebuke those thinking patterns, beliefs, line-of-reasoning, line-of-thinking etc via sure-knowledge and logic, just end them.

And don't let the environment get the better of you. Use your imagination to create your own environment, inner realm which creates the best spiritual and morale tone in you.

I commend you on the effective advice. Kudos.