Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
IbnSohan

Umar The Prophet

Rate this topic

Umar a source of inspiration

In sunni tradition, it is well established that some verses of Quraan were revealed right after Umar showing his opinion about something to confirm Umar's opinion.

It is narrated in Mulsim & Bukhari that Umar narrated a hadith about himself, Umar said " Quraan and I have agreed in three incidents:

1- I suggested to the prophet to pray behind Maqam Ibrahim so the verse was revealed:And when We appointed the House to be a place of visitation for the people, and a sanctuary, and: 'Take to yourselves Abraham's station for a place of prayer.'

2- I suggested to the prophet to order his women to cover up so the verse of Hijab was revealed "O Prophet, say to thy wives and daughters and the believing women, that they draw their veils close to them; so it is likelier they will be known, and not hurt. God is All-forgiving, All-compassionate. "

3- The prophet's wives had hurt the prophet by their jealousy so I told them "prophet may divorce you all " then the verse in Tahreem was revealed "It is possible that, if he divorces you, his Lord will give him in exchange wives better than you, women who have surrendered, believing, obedient, penitent, devout, given to fasting, who have been married and virgins too."

Muslim mentions another narration by umar where he is listing one more incident

4- After the victory in Badr, Prophet consulted the Muslims regarding the prisoners so Umar suggested to beahed them all and the verse was revealed "It is not for any Prophet to have prisoners until he make wide slaughter in the land. You desire the chance goods of the present world, and God desires the world to come; and God is All-mighty, All-wise."

Annawawi added a fifth incident

5- Umar prayed to Allah to show them His judgement regarding the alcohol and so the verse of prohibition was revealed

6-Ibn Abi Hatem in his tafsir mentions that when the verse was revealed "We created man of an extraction of clay" Umar said "blessed be God, the fairest of creators! " so the verse was revealed "blessed be God, the fairest of creators! "

Abu Abdillah Ashaibani added a seventh incident:

7- Prophet was called to pray over a man (munafiq), Prophet answered and went to stand to perform Salat, Umar stopped him and protested as to how can Prophet pray over a munafiq, so the verse was revealed "And pray thou never over any one of them when he is dead, nor stand over his grave; they disbelieved in God and His Messenger, and died while they were ungodly. "

The list is longer, and it goes on to show how Umar taught prophet sometimes, making Umar more credible than prophet Muhamad himself. Even the verse of Rajm was lifted up from Quraan due to Umar opinion.

Umar the next prophet:

There are a nmber of hadiths (might not be sahih) but they show a historical movement to raise the position of Umar to a higher level. These hadiths say that if there would be a prophet after me (Muhamad), he would be Umar.

Umar the Mehdi

The history books dose not give an accurate hadith in why Umar was called Farouq. Some history books mention that AhlulKitab were the first whom had called Umar by the title Farouq. The history books also mention that Muslims did not like to call him that name. Farouq is also said to be related to the Aramic word Farqa, which means the savior which is why the Nestorians are calling Jesus "Esha-farqa".

The relationship between Umar and AhlulKitab started in the days of the prophet.

“‘Umar copied part of the Torah in Arabic, brought it to the Prophet icon--1.gif, and began to read it to him. As he read, the Prophet’s face changed color. One of the men of the Ansaar said, "Woe to you Ibn Al-Khattaab! Can you not see the face of the Messenger of Allaah?’ Thereupon, the Prophet icon--1.gif, said, ‘Do not ask the People of the Book about anything for they will not guide you when they have gone astray. (If you listen to them) You will either disbelieve in what is right or believe in what is false. By Allaah, if Moses had been alive today, he would have been obliged to follow me.’”

When Umar went to Jerusalem riding a donkey, Ka'ab Al'ahbar told him that he had fulfilled a prophecy about a messiah who will come to the holy city to purify it.

Umar a source of inspiration

In sunni tradition, it is well established that some verses of Quraan were revealed right after Umar showing his opinion about something to confirm Umar's opinion.

It is narrated in Mulsim & Bukhari that Umar narrated a hadith about himself, Umar said " Quraan and I have agreed in three incidents:

1- I suggested to the prophet to pray behind Maqam Ibrahim so the verse was revealed:And when We appointed the House to be a place of visitation for the people, and a sanctuary, and: 'Take to yourselves Abraham's station for a place of prayer.'

2- I suggested to the prophet to order his women to cover up so the verse of Hijab was revealed "O Prophet, say to thy wives and daughters and the believing women, that they draw their veils close to them; so it is likelier they will be known, and not hurt. God is All-forgiving, All-compassionate. "

3- The prophet's wives had hurt the prophet by their jealousy so I told them "prophet may divorce you all " then the verse in Tahreem was revealed "It is possible that, if he divorces you, his Lord will give him in exchange wives better than you, women who have surrendered, believing, obedient, penitent, devout, given to fasting, who have been married and virgins too."

Muslim mentions another narration by umar where he is listing one more incident

4- After the victory in Badr, Prophet consulted the Muslims regarding the prisoners so Umar suggested to beahed them all and the verse was revealed "It is not for any Prophet to have prisoners until he make wide slaughter in the land. You desire the chance goods of the present world, and God desires the world to come; and God is All-mighty, All-wise."

Annawawi added a fifth incident

5- Umar prayed to Allah to show them His judgement regarding the alcohol and so the verse of prohibition was revealed

6-Ibn Abi Hatem in his tafsir mentions that when the verse was revealed "We created man of an extraction of clay" Umar said "blessed be God, the fairest of creators! " so the verse was revealed "blessed be God, the fairest of creators! "

Abu Abdillah Ashaibani added a seventh incident:

7- Prophet was called to pray over a man (munafiq), Prophet answered and went to stand to perform Salat, Umar stopped him and protested as to how can Prophet pray over a munafiq, so the verse was revealed "And pray thou never over any one of them when he is dead, nor stand over his grave; they disbelieved in God and His Messenger, and died while they were ungodly. "

The list is longer, and it goes on to show how Umar taught prophet sometimes, making Umar more credible than prophet Muhamad himself. Even the verse of Rajm was lifted up from Quraan due to Umar opinion.

Umar the next prophet:

There are a nmber of hadiths (might not be sahih) but they show a historical movement to raise the position of Umar to a higher level. These hadiths say that if there would be a prophet after me (Muhamad), he would be Umar.

Umar the Mehdi

The history books dose not give an accurate hadith in why Umar was called Farouq. Some history books mention that AhlulKitab were the first whom had called Umar by the title Farouq. The history books also mention that Muslims did not like to call him that name. Farouq is also said to be related to the Aramic word Farqa, which means the savior which is why the Nestorians are calling Jesus "Esha-farqa".

The relationship between Umar and AhlulKitab started in the days of the prophet.

“‘Umar copied part of the Torah in Arabic, brought it to the Prophet icon--1.gif, and began to read it to him. As he read, the Prophet’s face changed color. One of the men of the Ansaar said, "Woe to you Ibn Al-Khattaab! Can you not see the face of the Messenger of Allaah?’ Thereupon, the Prophet icon--1.gif, said, ‘Do not ask the People of the Book about anything for they will not guide you when they have gone astray. (If you listen to them) You will either disbelieve in what is right or believe in what is false. By Allaah, if Moses had been alive today, he would have been obliged to follow me.’”

When Umar went to Jerusalem riding a donkey, Ka'ab Al'ahbar told him that he had fulfilled a prophecy about a messiah who will come to the holy city to purify it.

Here we go again ............

This is Shia view of kaab alahbar it's on wiki!!

Umar and a number of prominent companions had a very positive attitude towards Kaab. However the most knowledgable and the most farsighted among them, namely, Imam Ali ( as ) discredited Kaab. Kaab did not dare to come close to Imam Ali ( as ), despite the fact that the Imam was in Medina for the duration of Kaab's stay. It is reported that Imam Ali ( as ) said about Kaab : Certainly he is a professional liar![2]

So you believe a liar? According to shia

As for the title farukh.....

Umar (Raziallah Anho) gets the title of "Al-Faruq"

Conversion of Hadrat Umar (Raziallah Anho) strengthened Islam. Hitherto, Muslims had lived in constant fear of disbelievers, and most of them were concealing their faith. The Muslims were now able to offer their Salat publicly. When Hadrat Umar (Raziallah Anho) became a Muslim he declared his faith openly before the Quraish Chiefs. Though they stared at him but could not do any harm to him. Then he requested the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam) to offer Salat in the Ka'bah. On getting the consent of the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam), Hadrat Umar led a party of the Muslims to that place. Hadrat Hamzah, who had accepted Islam a few days before Umar (Raziallah Anho) carried another party of the Muslims to Ka'bah. When all the Muslims gathered in the Ka'bah they offered their Salat in congregation. The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa Sallam) led this first public Salat in the history of Islam. For this courageous and bold action of Hadrat Umar (R.A) the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam) gave him the title of "al-Faruq" i.e., the one who makes a distinction between the "Right" (Haqq) and the "Wrong" (Batil).

So the prophet sallalahualaihewasalam gave him the title

I read a hadith once wherein Imam Ali (a.s) said the titles of as-Siddiq and al-Faruq are reserved for him, and anyone else using it is a liar. As far as I remember it was quoted by Tabarani in Maujam al Kabeer.

I couldn't verify its authenticity though.

What I'm particularly interested in knowing if there are similar hadith like the one quoted above found in Shia books?

Here we go again ............

This is Shia view of kaab alahbar it's on wiki!!

Umar and a number of prominent companions had a very positive attitude towards Kaab. However the most knowledgable and the most farsighted among them, namely, Imam Ali ( as ) discredited Kaab. Kaab did not dare to come close to Imam Ali ( as ), despite the fact that the Imam was in Medina for the duration of Kaab's stay. It is reported that Imam Ali ( as ) said about Kaab : Certainly he is a professional liar![2]

So you believe a liar? According to shia

Conversion of Hadrat Umar (Raziallah Anho) strengthened Islam. Hitherto, Muslims had lived in constant fear of disbelievers, and most of them were concealing their faith. The Muslims were now able to offer their Salat publicly. When Hadrat Umar (Raziallah Anho) became a Muslim he declared his faith openly before the Quraish Chiefs. Though they stared at him but could not do any harm to him. Then he requested the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam) to offer Salat in the Ka'bah. On getting the consent of the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam), Hadrat Umar led a party of the Muslims to that place. Hadrat Hamzah, who had accepted Islam a few days before Umar (Raziallah Anho) carried another party of the Muslims to Ka'bah. When all the Muslims gathered in the Ka'bah they offered their Salat in congregation. The Holy Prophet (Sallallahu ‘alaihi wa Sallam) led this first public Salat in the history of Islam. For this courageous and bold action of Hadrat Umar (R.A) the Holy Prophet (Sal Allaho Alehe Wassallam) gave him the title of "al-Faruq" i.e., the one who makes a distinction between the "Right" (Haqq) and the "Wrong" (Batil).

That story was narrated by Umar himself, if a man would claim that his words were worth to be made verse in Quraan then I am not sure how credible he would be when he claim that prophet gave him any titles.

read Tarikh AtTabari to verify the allegation that the first who called Umar by Farouq were AhlulKitab.

I read a hadith once wherein Imam Ali (a.s) said the titles of as-Siddiq and al-Faruq are reserved for him, and anyone else using it is a liar. As far as I remember it was quoted by Tabarani in Maujam al Kabeer.

I couldn't verify its authenticity though.

What I'm particularly interested in knowing if there are similar hadith like the one quoted above found in Shia books?

Yes it's quoted by Mumin Al Taq In a debate against Ibn Abi Hadra on whom was better Abu Bakr or Ali (s). He there quotes that Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) said at al basrah against its people :

أنا الصديق الأكبر، آمنت قبل أن آمن أبو بكر وصدقت قبله''

I''m al the truthful one, for I have believed before Abu Bakr & have told the truth before him.

This can be found in book al ihtijaj page 146 but on the pdf I have it's on 378. Here is also the link to the hadith :

http://shiaonlinelib...-ج-٢/الصفحة_144

The hadith of Ali is with the truth & the truth is with Ali shows that Ali (s) is the sidiq.

As for al Farooq

:

Here is the site of Ayatollah al minlani mentioning some hadiths about that Ali (as) is al farooq :

http://www.al-milani...d=266&pgid=2637

The proof for Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) to be al farooq is by using the hadith of that Ali is always with the truth. For farooq means he who through him al haq & batil are separated.

Also note that Umar Al Khattab had no knowledge in Islam & was also unjust according to hadith in bukhari.

Wa selaamoe Aleikoem wa rahmetu Allah.

Edited by ana_ma3a_al_haq

Umar policy against non Arabs

1-Arab favourism.

Umar ordered his governors not to humiliate the Arabs. Arabs should not be imprisoned during raids, he even had freed the imprisoned Arabs from Jahelleiyah time, he returned the female Yemeni prisoners while they are pregnant and separated between them and their owners.

He taxed the Arab Christians half of the tax on non Arab Christians. (read Al'amwal book)

2- Forbidding the Madinah on the non Arabs. (Morouj Aldhahab/Almosanaf for San'ani/Mojama' Alzawa'id for Tabarani/tabaqat Ibn Sa'd/ Almajrohoun/HayatulSahabah/Tarikh Umar bin Alkhatab)

3-Selling your Nabati neighbour: This was narrated by Ma'moun that Umar used to say "whoever needed money and has a Nabati neighbour, he should sell his neighbour" *Nabat are those who inhibited Jordan, Palestine and the northern parts of Arabia*

(Uyoun Alkhbar for Ibn Qutaibah/Kitab Baghdad for Taifour/Almahasen &ALmasawi'/Alzuhd & Alraqa'iq/plus others)

4-Non Arabs should not demand more than the Deyah when hit by Arabs:

Incident of Ubadah bin Alsamet and a Nabati man.(Tahdheeb Tarikh Demashq/Tadhkirat Alhufaz/Sunan Albaihaqi/seyar A'lam Annubala'/Kanz Al'omal)

5- Arabic language and chivalry: Umar thought that speaking Arabic language adds chivalry to your character if you are non Arabs which means that all arabs by defaults lack in chivalry (Rabi' Albarar/Tarikh Jurjan/Iqtidha' Asirat Almustaqim/Musanaf ibn abi Shaibah).

6-Non Arabs governance over Arabs: The case of AbdulRahman bin Abza, whom Umar thought he is not worthy of ruling over Quraish but Nafi' bin Alqamah told him that the man is good reciter of Quran, then Umar agreed because a non Arab status is elevated when they know Quran (Hayat Asahabah/Kanz Al'omal/Almusanaf for San'ani/Musnad Ahmad)

7-Giving the Arabs more money than the non Arabs:

Book authors say that this is a well known policy of Umar please read (Sharh Alnahj for the Motazili/Al'othmaneyah for Aljahiz/Tarikh Alya'qoubi/Tabaqat ibn Sa'd Alsunan Alkubra/Mujma' Azawa'id/Kanz Al'omal/Hayat Alsahaba/Tarikh Al'omam wa Almolouk/plus plenty others)

8- Equals concept in Marriage:

yep this is Umar sunnah, Arab men can marry non Arabs but non Arab men can not marry the Arabs (Al'idhah/Assunan Alkubra/Almusanaf for San'ani)

9-An order he couldn't execute:

When the imprisons of Persia reached Madinah, Umar wanted to sell their women and men as slaves but Imam Ali freed all his share of the slaves then Bani Hashem,Ansar and Muhajerin followed Imam Ali and freed their share of the slaves. Umar was not happy about this, this is a famous story , do I need to type the sources?

10-Inheretance:

Non Arabs have no right to inherit their Arab relatives but it is ok the other way around (Almowata'/Almosanaf for san'ani/Kanz Al'omal/Taiseer Alwosoul/Bidayat Almojtahid)

(salam)

To date, no Sunni has been able to explain how is it that Umar al-Khattab did not even know the basic ruling of Tayammum and what right he had in changing the Sunnah of Muta of Hajj.

Yet he is the "Great and knowledgeable Umar". Psht

(wasalam)

Edited by pyaro

5- Arabic language and chivalry: Umar thought that speaking Arabic language adds chivalry to your character if you are non Arabs which means that all arabs by defaults lack in chivalry (Rabi' Albarar/Tarikh Jurjan/Iqtidha' Asirat Almustaqim/Musanaf ibn abi Shaibah).

this is EXACTLY the point that made me lose faith in under-cover salafis that i was hanging with when i first became religiously active in the late 90's .. of course at that time the word salafi didn't exist, and i didn't know anything about shia islam, so may Allah forgive me.

but i remember when this one guy insisted that i speak with him in arabic, because "it's more manly". .. when he said that i wanted beat him up to show him that his arabic wont help him being manly, right there in the mosque, and from then on i decided never to try to learn arabic again. and i never hung out with those people again and stopped being religious for a couple of years. "not manly" :realangery: .. .. until today it makes me boil from inside staghfr Allah .. may Allah guide and forgive this guy

manly !!! my God !!! i hope they learn what real men are before they die

It is said by Sunni brothers that Umar could have been a prophet ahter the Muhammad SAWW. This is fabricated one as why the sahabas choosen the Abu bakar instead of Umar? Ths biggest misunderstanding in history of islam still exists.

ali ra praises abu bar ra umar ra and uthman ra form their own shia hadith books

Hadiths In Praise of Sahabas In Shia Books:

1. Qumi in his tafsir, “Tafsir Qumi” narrates from Abi Abdullah:

“When the prophet (sws) was in the cave, he (sws) said to Abu Bakr , “I see the ship of jaffar in the river with his companions. And likewise i see the ansar. Abubakr asked can i also see? The prophet (sws) said , “yes”. Abubakr asked how? The prophet did masah with his hands on abubakr’s eyes. Thus, abubakr saw what the prophet saw. Then, the prophet turned to abubakr and said, “You are siddique.”

Tafsir Qumi, 1/289

2. Abdul azeem hassani narrates from Ali bin mohammad bin Ali al riza and he narrates from his father and granfather and they narrated from Hassan bin Ali that the prophet (sws) said:

“ Abu bakr is beloved to me to the level of hearing, Umar to the level of sight and Uthman to the level of heart.”

Alburhan 565, 4/564

3. Imam Reza was asked about the prophetic hadith, “My companions are like stars. Whomever you refer to, you’ll be guided.” Imam said, “This hadith is weak, but its meaning is inshallah correct.”

Then he was asked about another prophetic hadith, “Leave my companions to myself. Do not annoy them. Do not slander them”. Imam said, “Its authentic.”

Ayon Akhbar al reza lil-Qami 2/87

4. Majlisi narrates that the Prophet (sws) said, “Fortunate are those who saw me and fortunate are the people who met those who saw me.”

Bihar al anwar, 22/305

Amali al Sadooq, page 240-241

5. Imam Ali was asked, “Why was abu bakr chosen for the caliphate?” He replied, “We saw that Abu bakr was the most suitable for this affair amongst the people. He was the companion of the Prophet (sws) in the cave and was the second person ever praised by Allah (swt); and the Prophet made him imam while he (sws) was alive.”

Sharah e Nihjal Balagha, Labin Abi Al-Hadid, 1/332

6. Imam Ali reads the funeral of Hazrat Umer : “I want from Allah to accompain you with your two friends RasoolAllah (sws) and Siddique . Because i heared from Rasool –Allah (sws) saying, “I, Abu Bakr and Umer entered together; I, Abu Bakr and Umer went out together; I, Abu Bakr and Umer ate together.” And I want from Allah to accompain you (umer) with those two (i.e. the prophet and Siddique).”

Thus the imam turned to Sahabas and said, “By Allah, I wish Allah made my record of deeds like that of Umar’s “

Kitabe al – Shafi al-Huda, Syed ul – Murtaza and

Talkhis Al – Shafi, Tusi

7. Ali says in praise of Uthman , “There is nothing that we know and you are ignorant of that. I can not point out any matter that you are ignorant of. You know all what we know. We were not better than you in any case that we would inform you. And we were not unique in any case that we would inform you of that. You also saw what we saw; and heared what we heared; you were and are the companion of the prophet like we are. And Ibn abi Kahafa and Umer ibn Khatab were not better than you in practice. And you were nearer to the prophet; you became the son-in law of the prophet while they didn’t. “

Nejul Balagha, volume 2, page 232

8. Ali comments on the sword of Zubair , “How much did this sword bring comfort to Rasool Allah!”

Al-Ihtijaj, Volume 1, Page 380

9. Imam Jaffar Sadiq says, “Ali never charged those with apostacy, infidilty or disharmony who opposed him. Rather he would say that they are our brothers and they tyrannized us.”

Wasail al Shia, 15/83

10. Hassan bin Ali considers ‘acting upon the way of Khulfai Rashideen’ one of the conditions of peace with mawiya. And in the original manuscript of the book the word ‘Khulfai Saliheen’ has been used.

Mantahi al-amaal, volume 2, page 212

12. Some people asked Imam Jaffar Saidq , “O Son of the Prophet! What do you say about Abu bakr and Umar?” The imam replied, “They were righteous leaders; and they were just; and they died on truth and justice. May Allah have mercy on them till Qayamah.”

Ahqaqul Haq, Shustri, volume 1, page 116

Ali (may Allah bless his soul) also stated:

''Allah has chosen many people from among the Muslims to approve extend the divine mission. Allah and His Messenger have conferred the highest status on the fisrt two Caliphs, Abu Bakr (may Allah bless his soul) and Umar (May Allah be pleased with him). I swear by my own life that they occupy the greatest position in the fold of Islam. May Allah have mercy upon them, for they suffered intensely for the sake of Islam. May Allah compensate them for their sacrifices.

Reference: Ibn ul-Muthim, Sharh Nahj ul Balaghaa (Iraan) Page 488

''There is no other person on earth with whose deeds I desire to merge with my deeds, except the man in this coffin (refering to Umar, May Allah be pleased with him )''

Reference: This has been recorded by many Shia scholars:

Sayyid Murtadha in Kitab ush Shaafee, (Page 171)

Aboo Jafar at-Toosee in Talkhees ash Shafee (Iran: Volume 2, Page 428)

Ibn Babwee, Ibn Abee'l-Hadeed and Sudooq in Ma'ani ul Akhbaar (Iran: Page 117)

Moreover it is found in another Shia book that Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) said:

''The best men in the community after the Prophet (peace be upon him) is Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) and Umar (May Allah be pleased with him).''

Reference: Sayyid Murtadha, Kitaab ush Shafee (Volume 2, Page 428).

The effects of Umar laws on the sunnah.

The hadith ban policy, the refusal to write the Quraan, the propaganda of 7 recitations all had their effect on the sunnah of the prophet. We should also not underestimate the effect of the Arab favouritism policy that Umar implement, he bought many Arabs with it. Arabs from Arabia were a waste of humanity before Islam, the raids and wars in the name of Jihad they made opened a fortune on them. The favouritism policy made them even luckier, raised their social status among other nations and made them think they were the best of creation.

This part maybe more critical to Shia than Sunnis because it deals with the Shia of Imam Ali in his time (Shia by name at least).

Umar the great

Due to these policies, Arabs developed great respect to Umar and his ways, the great man who made the Romans and the Persians be but servants to Arabs. They looked up at him as a genius. He was even greater than Imam Ali in the eyes of Imam Ali soldiers. In Sharh Alnahj for Almo'tazeli, we find this narration from Imam Ali in which he says " I've heard some of my soldiers, of those who fight with me, calling others : O People of Islam, the sunnah of Umar has been changed, he (Imam Ali) is forbidding us from performing Taraweeh in Ramadhan" Imam Ali continue "I feared that they may cause rebellion within my army"

In another page, Mo'tazeli mentioned another incident in which the men of Ali were asking him to appoint an Imam for the nafilah of Ramadhan (taraweeh), Imam Ali rejected their request and scolded them, they ignored his words and they appointed a man as an Imam, Imam Ali sent his son Imam AlHasan to stop them, when they saw him they cried out loud "wa Umarah"

In Rijal Almaqmaqani, we find this story of Imam Ali attempting to replace Shuraih the judge but the Kufa people protested by saying "but Umar had appointed him, we have gave bay'ah to you as long as you follow the Sunnah of Umar and Abu bakr"

Talha, Zubair and the Khawarij and maybe others said it clearly to Imam Ali that they hate they are not given the same amount of money they used to be given on the time of Umar.

There are plenty of other incidents in history in which Imam Ali was asked to not change the Sunnah of Umar the great.

The Mahdi from Umar's progeny

So yeah, he was great that Quran was revealed for him, he had his own sunnah and there was a Mahdi from his sons.

1- Baihaqi Narrated from Abdullah bin Dinar from Umar himself that he said "Astonishing, people are claiming that the world will not end before a man from my blood will appear and rule the way Umar ruled." Baihaqi said "people thought it was Bilal bin Abdullah bin Umar because he had a birth mark on his face but I think they were mistaken and the correct one must be Umar bin Abdul Aziz, his mother is the daughter of Asim bin Umar bin Alkhatab"

2-Ibn Hammad narrated from Nafi' that Umar said " There will be a man from my children with a birth mark on his face that will fill the earth with justice" Nafi' comments " He must be Umar bin AbdulAziz"

3- Another hadith from nafi' as well in Tabaqat sa'ad which mentions similar story

Imam Baqir supports Umar bin Abdul Aziz as a Mahdi in fabricated hadiths:

In Altabaqat Alkubra for Ibn Sad, he narrated from Muslimah abu Said from Arzami: I've heard Muhamad bin Ali saying :prophet is from us and teh Mahdi is from bani abdul-shams, and we know no mahdi but Umar bin AbdulAziz."

Ibn Asakir in his history book :Mohamad bin Ali was asked "people are claiming that the mahdi is from you , Mohamad bin Ali answered " he is not, he is from bani abdul-shams" the narrator commented "as if he meant Umar bin Abdul Aziz

There were a number of known figures who supported this claim like Alhasan Albasri, Abu Qulabah, Qatadah, said bin Almosaiyab and others.

when i googled "sunnat Umar" in Arabic, google answers has this answer :

The real meaning of Ahl sunah wa Aljama'ah is :Sunnah of Umar and Jama'ah of Mo'aweyah

I think this definition is precise!

The author of that answer brought some hadiths i read else where when i searched the role of AbdulAziz in documenting the hadiths, basically the ruler umar bin abdulaziz wrote to the sunni scholars to document every hadith from prophet and every sunnah from umar !

It is said by Sunni brothers that Umar could have been a prophet ahter the Muhammad SAWW. This is fabricated one as why the sahabas choosen the Abu bakar instead of Umar? Ths biggest misunderstanding in history of islam still exists.

I have no reply from any sunni source yet on this question.

Umar made Khilafa exclusive to Quraish

Several Shia authors hypothesized that Umar pushed this notion that prophecy and succession cannot be given both to one tribe (Banu Hashim).

To understand their view, lets review few things. First of all, Quraish were the group of tribes in Makkah. Quraish consists of several sub tribes that are related (cousins). Before Islam, Quraish was well known among Arabs to be the most eloquent and the custodians of the Ka'abah. The duties and authorities were distributed among the sub tribes :

1-Abbas b. AbdAlmutalib held the maintance of the holy mosque and the well of ZamZam

2- The war flag was in hands of Abu Sufian

3- Feeding the pilgrims was for Harith b. Amer B Nawfal

4- Shura: was in hands of Yazid b. Zum'ah b. Al'aswad b. Almutalib b. Asad

5-Gaurding the treasures of the Ka'abah : Uthman b. Talha b. AbdulUza

6- Blood money : Abu Bakr

7- Embassy : Umar b. Alkhatab

8-The army horses and weapons : Khalid b. Alwaleed

9-Divining-arrows : Safwan b. Umayyiah

10- Government and monetary : Harith b. Qais

As you can see, Bani Hashim was but a sub tribe from the whole, though they sort of hold the overall honour of taking care of the pilgrims and the maintenance of the holy sites (the well and ka'abah) but that dose not mean they were alone representing the whole tribe of Quraish. After conquest of Mecca, all the responsibilities of Quraish were given to the new Islamic nation except the duties of Abbas , the prophet uncle , which he was allowed to keep doing his duties.

The other thing that should be mentioned is the resentment that the Quraish Muhajreen felt about the ones that were killed in Badr. In that battle many great men of Quraish were killed, many of them were killed by Imam Ali which is one of the reasons that made Imam Ali a less favourable choice after Saqifah. These bitter feelings came out to surface from time to time.

Umar in Saqifah and later on had said it clearly that Khilafah should be an exclusive right for Quraish, well at least that what he told the Ansar but later on he told Ibn Abass that Khilafah and prophecy cannot be given both to Bani Hashim(Tarikh Atabari(2/577)). They had even invented a hadith against the right of Bani Hashim in Khilafah, a much similar hadith to the one they invented to take Fadak from Saydah Faimah in which the only narrator of the hadith is abu Bakr

إنَّا أَهْلُ بَيْتٍ اصْطَفَانَا اللَهُ تَعَإلی‌ وَاخْتَارَ لَنَا الآخِرَةَ علی‌ الدُّنْيَا؛ فَإنَّ اللَهَ لَمْ يَكُنْ لِيَجْمَعَ لَنَا أَهْلَ البَيْتِ النُّبُوَّةَ وَالخِلاَفَةَ.

For these reasons, several Shia authors were skeptical to the word Quraish in any hadith about khilafah.

Just read this on christian webpage

"A man recited in the presence of Umar who corrected him. The man, incensed, claimed to have recited for the Prophet and he had not corrected him. They carried their dispute to Muhammad. When the Prophet endorsed the man's claim that Muhammad had personally instructed him, doubts sprang up in Umar's mind. Reading Umar's expression, the Prophet struck him on the chest, exclaiming, 'Out devil!' Muhammad then explained 'All the modes of reciting are correct so long as you don't turn a statement on mercy into one on wrath and vice-versa.' "(Tafsir of Tabari).

read Tarikh AtTabari to verify the allegation that the first who called Umar by Farouq were AhlulKitab.

(salam)

From my research, it seems that the narrations that point out to this are weak, because the primary narrator is narrating from an unknown source. And Allah knows best!

No, it is wrong Prophet never gave title Farooq to Umar rather Jews/Christian gave him that title

أخبرنا يعقوب بن إبراهيم بن سعد عن أبيه عن صالح بن كيسان قال قال بن شهاب بلغنا أن أهل الكتاب كانوا أول من قال لعمر الفاروق وكان المسلمون يأثرون ذلك من قولهم ولم يبلغنا أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ذكر من ذلك شيئا

It is narrated Yaqoob ibn Ibrahim ibn Saad from his father from Salih ibn Kaysan he said Ibn Shihab said :

The people of the book were the first ones to call Umar "al-Farooq" and the muslims used to take this saying from their saying(Ahl-Kitaab) and we have never received anything from Rasul Allah(sawas) mentioning any of it (he means this title)

-Tarikh al-Tabari, Vol 4, Page 195-196.

Edited by aquibriz

No, it is wrong Prophet never gave title Farooq to Umar rather Jews/Christian gave him that title

It is narrated Yaqoob ibn Ibrahim ibn Saad from his father from Salih ibn Kaysan he said Ibn Shihab said :

The people of the book were the first ones to call Umar "al-Farooq" and the muslims used to take this saying from their saying(Ahl-Kitaab) and we have never received anything from Rasul Allah(sawas) mentioning any of it (he means this title)

-Tarikh al-Tabari, Vol 4, Page 195-196.

(salam)

The hadith is weak because Ibn Shihab is getting his information about `Umar from an unknown source. Notice how he uses the word "بلغنا"? This is similar to the hadith narrated by `A'isha about the Prophet attempting suicide (wal `iyadhu billah).

And Allah knows best.

Edited by Crescent