Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Biology And Adam And Eve

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Analysis of mitochondrial DNA (which provides insight into the origin of the maternal lineage) indicates that humanity traces back to a single female ancestor who lived about 140,000 years ago, Likewise, characterization of Y-chromosomal DNA (which provides insight into the origin of the paternal lineage) indicates that all men trace their origin back to a single ancestral sequence, but genes on the Y chromosome trace back to one male who lived about 60,000-90,000 years ago, meaning that the female gen must be older than male gen.

Also evolutionary biologists argue that the genetic data shows that humanity arose from thousands of individuals, not two. The chief basis for this claim comes from estimates of the ancestral population size of humans based on genetic diversity. They point to the evidence showing that there may have been a couple of “bottlenecks” (reduced population sizes) in the history of our species, but the smallest one not involving recent colonization is a bottleneck of roughly 10,000-15,000 individuals that occurred between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago.

Now the question is that is it possible to reconcile the story of adam and eve with scientific evidence?

• Veteran Member

Analysis of mitochondrial DNA (which provides insight into the origin of the maternal lineage) indicates that humanity traces back to a single female ancestor who lived about 140,000 years ago, Likewise, characterization of Y-chromosomal DNA (which provides insight into the origin of the paternal lineage) indicates that all men trace their origin back to a single ancestral sequence, but genes on the Y chromosome trace back to one male who lived about 60,000-90,000 years ago, meaning that the female gen must be older than male gen.

The male ancestor you speak of (also confusingly known as Y-chromosomal Adam) is merely the most recent common ancestor of all living males. And the female ancestor you speak of (also confusingly known as Mitochondrial Eve) is merely the most recent common ancestor of all living females. Mitochondrial Eve and y-chromosomal Adam are actually completely irrelevant to the Adam and Eve couple who are the origin of all living human beings, because the former are not supposed to be the origin of all living humans, but the most recent common ancestor of females and males respectively. These individuals are constantly changing, and depend on who is alive today. For example, 50,000 years ago, Mitochondrial Eve would probably have been different to the current mitochondrial Eve, because the population who was alive then was much different, and so their most recent common ancestor would have been different.

Also evolutionary biologists argue that the genetic data shows that humanity arose from thousands of individuals, not two. The chief basis for this claim comes from estimates of the ancestral population size of humans based on genetic diversity. They point to the evidence showing that there may have been a couple of “bottlenecks” (reduced population sizes) in the history of our species, but the smallest one not involving recent colonization is a bottleneck of roughly 10,000-15,000 individuals that occurred between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago.

You might find this useful: http://www3.nd.edu/~afreddos/papers/kemp-monogenism.pdf

• Veteran Member

Now the question is that is it possible to reconcile the story of adam and eve with scientific evidence?

• Advanced Member

The male ancestor you speak of (also confusingly known as Y-chromosomal Adam) is merely the most recent common ancestor of all living males. And the female ancestor you speak of (also confusingly known as Mitochondrial Eve) is merely the most recent common ancestor of all living females. Mitochondrial Eve and y-chromosomal Adam are actually completely irrelevant to the Adam and Eve couple who are the origin of all living human beings, because the former are not supposed to be the origin of all living humans, but the most recent common ancestor of females and males respectively. These individuals are constantly changing, and depend on who is alive today. For example, 50,000 years ago, Mitochondrial Eve would probably have been different to the current mitochondrial Eve, because the population who was alive then was much different, and so their most recent common ancestor would have been different.

You might find this useful: http://www3.nd.edu/~...-monogenism.pdf

Thank you for the explanation. I merely wanted to mention the main theories that might pertain to my main question. Of course they were allegorically named after the biblical adam and eve. My focus here is not the scientific account of these terms, but rather to find a way to conciliate science with koranic version of human origin if there is any and if we should!

• Veteran Member

However, the human soul could not have been derived through natural evolution since it is of a spiritual nature; for which reason we must refer its origin to a creative act on the part of God.

Therefore in modern theology (if you believe in the 'soul') the beginning of Adam and Eve corresponds to the creative act as regards the origin of the human soul, since the soul cannot have its origin in matter.

Wslm.

(salam)

We can't use the "soul" to reject or confirm anything.

In other words, to incorporate "the soul" into any argument is futile.

The reason is that we do not actually know what "the soul" is. We do not know the nature of the "soul."

The soul could very well be an entity that has emerged out of bodily functions, such as consciousness.

Many people would like to make consciousness seem something mysterious.

However, contemporary brain science is clear that there's nothing "mystical" or mysterious about consciousness.

With out contemporary advancements in science, we have discovered how consciousness emerges from our brains. It is certainly complex, but not inexplicable.

The same may or may not apply to the soul.

Just because, currently, we don't know what it is, there is absolutely no need to assume that it must be separate from the evolution of the body.

The soul may be a product of the evolved body, whatever the soul may be.

In short, we can't argue against the theory of evolution or the mechanism of evolution via the topic of the soul.

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Your second statement is...its essentially false.

You stated that Adam and Eve came about, in genetic terms during X and Y times. Then you stated, but scientists believe that humanity arose from communities, as if the scientists believe that the genetics of Adam and Eve arising from X and Y, is something that is false.

In reality, it is the evolutionary biologists who are stating both statements. That Adam and Eve came about at X and Y times, but also that they arose in communities of individuals that likely consisted of hundreds, if not thousands of people.

This is a case of misrepresentation of science, if I had to guess at first glance of what has been said.

Again thank you for clarification. But I think you didn't get my point. I'm asking about Adam and Eve here, I didn't give any conclusion. I want something like this:

There are hadiths saying that before Adam and eve there were creatures like human but with different race. Adam and eve’s two sons got marid to two girls whose race were different from Adam and Eve.Then the female gen in human must be older than male gen because the oldest gen from a male, is Adam’s gen and the oldest gen from a female is from a different race which is of course older.

• Advanced Member

This is my theory:

Evolution exists, God says so because he states creatures are constantly changing. Human beings on the other hand can't evolve. There is something which is small scale evolution whereby things affect humans, but don't change their identity, for ex: eye color, skin tone, eye and ear shape. All these are due to adaptations. People in north Europe don't receive sunlight much so they don't need dark skin. Africans have a lot of sun and do need it. We are all still humans though we just adapted to the location we live. We need this diversity to survive.

please pardon my previous post. I had actually asked that it be deleted, even before it was approved, but I guess the mods didn't recoeve the message. I'll look into typing up a detailed response when I have time, inshaAllah. I will say though, that the above post, the idea that humans may not evolve, on fundamental grounds of evidence, doesn't make sense. I say this because, evolution occurs due to the dna structure the builds life. Humans share that same dna structure with all other animals on earth. So if they evolve, reasonably speaking, so do we. Also evidentially we have more evidence for our evolution than for other animals as well.

with that said, I personally believe that, Adam and Eve, would simply be the first true and intelligent humans in a long billion year old lineage of evolution. Scientifically speaking, this would be the only possible if there were other more primitive beings that lived before, along side and after them.

just as at one point in history, there were no white people, people had to evolve the white genes before they could adapt into the physical position to be white. So too, the first human would evolve the genes that make them human, then adapt into a position in which they truly are.

humans cannot just adapt variation. They need to evolve variances before they can use them. They need to evolve skin color genes before they can have babies with those different skin colors. This is in reference to the post above. You cannot be white unless you evolve white genes first. This goes for any trait that any animal has.

Again thank you for clarification. But I think you didn't get my point. I'm asking about Adam and Eve here, I didn't give any conclusion. I want something like this:

There are hadiths saying that before Adam and eve there were creatures like human but with different race. Adam and eve’s two sons got marid to two girls whose race were different from Adam and Eve.Then the female gen in human must be older than male gen because the oldest gen from a male, is Adam’s gen and the oldest gen from a female is from a different race which is of course older.

oh :I sorrry

Best of luck then. I know there are hadith on the children of Adam and Eve marrying houris. Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...