Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

Headscarf, Leggins And Skinny Jeans?

Rate this topic

most sisters i know know dont wake up one day and say "HEY! im a perfect muslimah now! Im gonna wear prefect hijab tomorrow and never sin again!" lol

Most sisters i know start with just the hijab and then as time progresses, they start wearing looser and looser clothing, cover their neck or any other part that shouldnt be showing (ie bangs), not wear make up, and cover their feet. It takes a lot of girls awhile before they wear proper hijab, which isnt surprising, it should happen in steps :P I know a few girls who started wearing hijab hijab with very tight clothes but over time they started wearing full hijab better and better and even became niqabis who wear dresses/skirts or abyas (not sure how you spell it) all the time. Also, their knowledge and deen increased over time too.

I totally agree. :)

Efforts for hijab need to be praised and as you become more and more comfortable with it, it becomes easier and more natural.

Yes you both are right in one sense and I cant generalise or judge anyone. However, it cant be spoken for all. See, many girls just wear it due to parents etc. Nowadays many girls for fashion. Alot of girls KNOW thats how it should be done. But they choose to ignore it. If a girl can wear a hijab on her head why does it hurt to wear some loose clothes?.

It's the concept of hijab which Alhumdulillah110 wanted to know. Just a hijab shouldn't be praised along with tight clothes if they know it's wrong. It can encourage them to dress like that continuously which wouldn't be right. Rather they should be encouraged nicely and there are so many ways to promote that. Some people genuinely don't know. Again, I'm not condemning these girls, Allah knows the intentions. But the dressing like that is not considered decent in Islam.

peace out

Edited by shia_warrior92

salaams thankyou all for your replies. My reason for asking was actually because i was talking to a fellow hijabi sister and she said that hijab is about covering your hair and body and so you can wear anything (including skinny jeans and leggins) as long as it does that. Yes that is partly true however a big element of that modesty is to ensure your figure doesnt blatantly show through your clothes because even if your intentions are pure, it might attract attention from men which defeats the whole purpose of wearing it, because its a sin on both your parts.

I understand its a process of learning, no ones perfect or has a right to judge, however personally, i think that a lot of muslim girls dont understand the meaning of hijab and how we have to observe it, and we definitely need to address this within our own respective communities.

ws

Edited by AlHamdulillah110

I totally agree. :)

Efforts for hijab need to be praised and as you become more and more comfortable with it, it becomes easier and more natural.

most sisters i know know dont wake up one day and say "HEY! im a perfect muslimah now! Im gonna wear prefect hijab tomorrow and never sin again!" lol

Most sisters i know start with just the hijab and then as time progresses, they start wearing looser and looser clothing, cover their neck or any other part that shouldnt be showing (ie bangs), not wear make up, and cover their feet. It takes a lot of girls awhile before they wear proper hijab, which isnt surprising, it should happen in steps :P I know a few girls who started wearing hijab hijab with very tight clothes but over time they started wearing full hijab better and better and even became niqabis who wear dresses/skirts or abyas (not sure how you spell it) all the time. Also, their knowledge and deen increased over time too.

While I do agree that one shouldn't chastise those girls with less than perfect hijab, I don't agree that one should just praise and hope they get better. I live in Dearborn, a good 85% of the girls who wear hijab here, wear it incorrectly. This surpasses nationality. All these girls honestly believe that it is okay to wear hijab the way they do. Some think that it is not right but they have their whole lives to improve. The issue here is that if you know a girl's hijab is not correct and she is not fully aware of the fact, then as a muslim you have some responsibility to make that as clear as you can without annoying her. I think the best way to do that is to make sure that your physical and social hijab is where it should be especially around those who might be influenced. It's hard to keep good hijab up in the west, sometimes all the girls need is some support.

As for the OP,

Part of hijab is that it should not show the figure of the woman. Skinny jeans show the curves of everything from the hips down. I will get you a link in a bit.

http://www.al-islam.org/hijab-saeed-akhtar-rizvi/

Most women know what proper hijab guidelines are because they are extremely simple, not to mention they are constantly shoved in their face as blatant reminders by judgmental idiots around them. These issues are sensitive and highly personal, one works through them at their own pace and with their own unique understanding. When it comes to these matters, its mostly sensible to simply worry about your own practices, because due to their complexity, any attempt to remind women of their personal obligations can turn out to be counter-productive. A lot of muslims don't realize that it's their attitudes that make a lot of women increasingly uncomfortable with hijab. Most of us simply do not have an intimate understanding about individual circumstances to go about these things the right way, it is best to let people embrace such articles organically.

That's why I said that the best way to fulfill your responsibility as a muslimah is to make sure your physical and social hijab is where it should be. Try to connect if you are close enough. Excuse me but I see one too many girls being told that their hijab is "okay" and "better than nothing" and that it doesn't matter if they had proper hijab, as long as they have good intentions.

I hear this from public speaker sometimes too and it angers me... If our public speakers don't set the rules for hijab and make them clear, and we ourselves don't portray hijab as it should be, what is left?

While I do agree that girls shouldn't be pushed into hijab, believe me I had to deal with having the hijab on for a few years before I understood what it truly meant, I don't we should be completely hands off and we let these girls find their own way. None of us live long enough to make every mistake and learn from them. I know many girls who put the hijab on now that wish that they had known about it sooner. So the idea here isn't to leave them, nor to impose it upon them, it is to educate them in a matter that suits them.

That's why I said that the best way to fulfill your responsibility as a muslimah is to make sure your physical and social hijab is where it should be. Try to connect if you are close enough. Excuse me but I see one too many girls being told that their hijab is "okay" and "better than nothing" and that it doesn't matter if they had proper hijab, as long as they have good intentions.

I hear this from public speaker sometimes too and it angers me... If our public speakers don't set the rules for hijab and make them clear, and we ourselves don't portray hijab as it should be, what is left?

While I do agree that girls shouldn't be pushed into hijab, believe me I had to deal with having the hijab on for a few years before I understood what it truly meant, I don't we should be completely hands off and we let these girls find their own way. None of us live long enough to make every mistake and learn from them. I know many girls who put the hijab on now that wish that they had known about it sooner. So the idea here isn't to leave them, nor to impose it upon them, it is to educate them in a matter that suits them.

exactly sis!!! you hit the nail on the head, its for their own betterment and its also our amr rabbil maruf and if we dont do it then we will have to answer aswell,

You know hijab needs to be practical as well. For example, in some super rainy weather u need to wear heavy long boots or ur feet will soak esp if u r using public transports. Wearing a skirt and normal shoes will just mean u get home with wet feet and legs and u might get sick the next day.

Plus, before going around telling sisters who try really hard to obey, look good, and be practical that they r so wrong,, everyone should look at their own behaviour and better themselves first. For example, when imam Hussain and Hassan AS were young, they saw an old man doing his wudu wrong, they didn't go yell at him and got angry, they simply did the right one in front of him.

You know hijab needs to be practical as well. For example, in some super rainy weather u need to wear heavy long boots or ur feet will soak esp if u r using public transports. Wearing a skirt and normal shoes will just mean u get home with wet feet and legs and u might get sick the next day.

Plus, before going around telling sisters who try really hard to obey, look good, and be practical that they r so wrong,, everyone should look at their own behaviour and better themselves first. For example, when imam Hussain and Hassan AS were young, they saw an old man doing his wudu wrong, they didn't go yell at him and got angry, they simply did the right one in front of him.

agreed, we shouldnt judge as i mentioned before, i think everyone is different and unique and personally i know lots of muslim girls who dont wear hijab that are lovely people, and equally i know some muslim girls covered head to toe but only infront of their parents and as soon as they leave the house they whip it off (like as if its okay to take it off when their parents are not looking but God is always watching).

What im trying to say is that not many people understand what hijab is about and the different elements to it, and so we should discuss it more within our communities because it affects us and knowingly or unknowingly we may be actually committing a sin. Therefore as part of our amr rabbil mar'uf (enjoining good) which is wajib, we should talk to our sisters because it might help them (like doing a lecture on it so its not singling people out or targeting girls and telling them off because its not Islamic), if they decide not to then thats their personal choice and between them and Allah (swt) but its our duty to encourage understanding. The example you gave of the man doing wudu wrong was a form of amr rabbil mar'uf from the Imams (as).

While I do agree that one shouldn't chastise those girls with less than perfect hijab, I don't agree that one should just praise and hope they get better. I live in Dearborn, a good 85% of the girls who wear hijab here, wear it incorrectly. This surpasses nationality. All these girls honestly believe that it is okay to wear hijab the way they do. Some think that it is not right but they have their whole lives to improve. The issue here is that if you know a girl's hijab is not correct and she is not fully aware of the fact, then as a muslim you have some responsibility to make that as clear as you can without annoying her. I think the best way to do that is to make sure that your physical and social hijab is where it should be especially around those who might be influenced. It's hard to keep good hijab up in the west, sometimes all the girls need is some support.

As for the OP,

Part of hijab is that it should not show the figure of the woman. Skinny jeans show the curves of everything from the hips down. I will get you a link in a bit.

http://www.al-islam....d-akhtar-rizvi/

Your environment is different, where i live i find girls tend to "work up" to the hijab slowly, though there are some girls who wear it bad and dont care. However, those girls usually take the hijab off in college, so in college its mostly just girls who choose to wear hijab on their own for the right reasons. Plus you know when a girl is wearing the hijab wrong because she doesnt care or because she doesnt know, and you can act accordingly.

I hate that......when my abaya gets soaked because of rainy weather. I usually wear boots that have a bit of a heel, but it still doesn't help. I used to wear jeans , boots, and a jacket past my knees when the weather was rainy.......but it caused problems because of people who gossip about how I usually wear abaya so why am I only wearing a long jacket now(yeah...imagine that).

I found this to be true but for a different reason, I have known some sisters that I attended school with from kindergarten and some that I met later on in my life.  I found that at first their hijab was combined with leggigngs, tight clothing, and make-up (you'd think maybelline was giving it for free!)...this style of hijab did not stop for most of these sisters until they were married! Yup, when they were married off, you start to see these sisters wearing full "proper" hijab.  3baya and all!  One may think that it might of been the husbands that caused them to make the change..but I dont think so, you see if it was the husband then why did he marry a woman that observed "unproper" hijab if his intention was to have a "full proper" hijab wife to begin with....as in why not marry a sister who already wore the full hijab.  See, this is what I think...I feel that these sisters (and others alike) started wearing "proper" hijab because the charade was over! Yup! They found their husband and as a result found no need to continue to wear leggings/tight clothing/make-up (you'd think maybelline was giving it for free!) and as a result decided to finally observe the full "proper" hijab...this of course, is just an observation...nothing more.

Leggings if worn with anarkali type tops which are loose ,quite long like a few inches above the ankles and with no slits,then it is okay or wear it at home with frocks,tops or qamees if it is long enough to cover appropriately.

Do you consider it hijab?

Sure! Why not?

As long as you throw a Abaya or some Sharia jacket over it. You're good to go. 

I found this to be true but for a different reason, I have known some sisters that I attended school with from kindergarten and some that I met later on in my life.  I found that at first their hijab was combined with leggigngs, tight clothing, and make-up (you'd think maybelline was giving it for free!)...this style of hijab did not stop for most of these sisters until they were married! Yup, when they were married off, you start to see these sisters wearing full "proper" hijab.  3baya and all!  One may think that it might of been the husbands that caused them to make the change..but I dont think so, you see if it was the husband then why did he marry a woman that observed "unproper" hijab if his intention was to have a "full proper" hijab wife to begin with....as in why not marry a sister who already wore the full hijab.  See, this is what I think...I feel that these sisters (and others alike) started wearing "proper" hijab because the charade was over! Yup! They found their husband and as a result found no need to continue to wear leggings/tight clothing/make-up (you'd think maybelline was giving it for free!) and as a result decided to finally observe the full "proper" hijab...this of course, is just an observation...nothing more.

False. I know many girls that may have made lots of mistakes but woke up one day and decided to change and went fully proper on their own, no husband or father, or fiance needed.

Depends on the girls' upbringing or how her family has influenced her.

And yes, there are some girls like that & even I know some personally, so I agree with you on

that.

But you forgot just one more thing, bro: the contacts!! It's blue eyes one day & green the next.

Oh...and uuhh, easy there on the detail...Maybelline.... sounds like you know too much :P

yes, of course, how could I of forgotten about the contacts!!!

+ its always better to know more than less...I guess...

I think I wore proper clothes, but I wasn't careful about social hijab before marriage. After marriage, I started improving on it and it took a lot of time. The obvious reason for married women doing proper hijab is that it's easier to do hijab when you are married. This is probably the reason that punishment for fornication and other sins is double for married people as compared to single people. 

Edited by Mokhtar2012

No it's not hijab! I myself am someone who started wearing hijab at the age of 18.

Started off with just scarf. Slowly slowly started wearing a shawl over my clothes especially mosque clothes because they were so attractive.

Hijab is not about covering your hair! I don't get girls these days. They have a scarf on their head and wear amazing clothes, tonnes of make up, attract attention and their bra shows through their see through tops and then they say they are HIJABI?

Ok feel good about yourself, put make up on and all, but at the same time look decent!

We are women!!!

The more you make yourself look attractive, the more likely you are to fall into a mess!

I dont believe its proper hijab because leggings define the shape of ur legs....

that being said, are loos pants permissible ?? they may be loose when ur standing/walking but once u sit down it defines shape of ur thigh area...im really confused about this. 

A wr wb

As long as the verdict of Allah is remember, mostly you won't be worrying aboutt your clothes too often.Just remember that we need to wear an over garment over our regular clothes.This outer garment will protect you a lot irrespective of what you wear inside.You only have to worry about places where you ned to remove or not wear your over garment like youur house when somebodys visiting or you go somewhere.This over garment can be of any length( not so religiously) ,but think if you don't wear at all,how much do you comply with the deen.So :) start wearing one,be it any length.Try to be better,if not good at all.

A wr wb

http://www.myntra.com/Shrug/Ten-on-Ten/Ten-on-Ten-White-Shrug/227601/buy?searchQuery=shrug&serp=71&uq=false

The above image show a girl wearing white shrug with red trousers.You can try wearing trousers instead of leggings which are not that revealing and add to it your shrug which does not fly away like a chiffon scarf or dupatta.It will cover more and stay in place.Plus the benefit of being hands free.This kind of clothes are better than wearing a short kurti with leggings and an always falling scarf,or dupatta.