Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

Cheap, Halal Travel Food

So when you're travelling, halal food is hard to get, you don't want too much of the restaurant fat laden stuff and you are also on a budget.

What do you do? Here are my travel emergency rations.

The fish light lunch (first course) provides the empty aluminium bowl into which you pour the boiling water from the kettle every hotel provides and into that you mix the powdered soup and the powdered potatoes.

Mix the soup first and then the potatoes. It helps to keep the soup a bit thick. Note that I use Ainsley Herriott's wild mushroom soup, but if your standards are not as high as mine you could use any cuppa soup.

The picture does not do the end result justice, to be honest.

IMG_4908_zpseefeaedb.jpg

Too much work. I would rather stop at a grocery store, grab a couple of bananas, an apple, and if I fancy I'll go to the frozen section and grab a frozen yogurt (a different name for ice cream without the guilt).

Too much processed food in there, nutritionally appalling.

Buy some tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber (red onion would be nice too) and a tin of tuna, you can make a nice salad with all that. Even abroad you should be able to pick these up relatively easy.

Also buy a couple of apples and bananas, both cheap and good for you.

In the UK you can buy vitamin drinks, these are really handy to keep with you.

Edited by Queen Yoda II

Also buy a couple of apples and bananas, both cheap and good for you.

These you nonchalantly take away from the buffet breakfast in the morning.

That looks totally gross.

If theres a minibar in your hotel room you just take a knife with you (plastic if necessary), buy some nice soft rolls and mini butters and get some fresh fillings once youre there. Empty the minibar (onto a shelf obviously) and store in there. If no mini bar you could take a mini bottle of olive oil to put on the bread instead of butter. Tinned fish is a good idea. Fresh fruit also. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit. No need for that Cuppa Soup type grossness.

Salt & vinegar? Cheese & onion? OR maybe Prawn cocktail? or Nice n Spicey Nik Naks?

Crisp Yum

Varieties of crisp! Definitely a must when travelling.

Crisp and roasted nuts are easy to pack, nonperishable and can add flavor to the blandest of foods.

Edited by *Sayyeda*

Crisp yum

Varieties of crisp! Definitely a must when travelling!

:D it took me ages to think of 'nice n spicey nik naks' (ok i admit i Googled eventually)

Edited by Ruq

You can get Tomato soup almost anywhere nowadays.. and bread.. They are both healthy and filing =)