Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Jealousy And Envy (Hasad)...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaikum

It is normal to sometimes feel abit jealous when put in certain circumstances, but how to realise if its with reason or is a person jealous by nature ie envious (hasad)?

Jealousy and envy... what is and how to tell the difference?

There is a saying that the envious gets the least of pleasures!

Old wives tales: A prominant mono-brow is a sign of an envious natured person.

.... whatever else?

• Veteran Member

Well, as long as the thing you want is a good thing, and your wanting that thing doesn't mean you want to take it from the other - a Hadith defines jealousy/envy similarly - such that you want the thing but also want the one who already has it to retain it, I guess you would be on the safe side.

Salam u alaykom,

Please read chapter 113 of Holy Quran:

[113:1] Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of the dawn,

[113:2] From the evil of what He has created,

[113:3] And from the evil of the utterly dark night when it comes,

[113:4] And from the evil of those who blow on knots,

[113:5] And from the evil of the envious when he envies.

Assalm u alaykom

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alaikum

It is normal to sometimes feel abit jealous when put in certain circumstances, but how to realise if its with reason or is a person jealous by nature ie envious (hasad)?

.... whatever else?

Salaam Alaikum

.... whatever else?

I think it might depend on the context.. if you're jealous of a friend who is more successful than you, that would be evil.. but if you feel jealous when your husband admires another woman it could be justified?

• Advanced Member

.... whatever else?

Hmm... Let's not judge people based on traits ordained by the creator.

I think jealousy and envy have degrees. If you notice that someone is at a higher intellectual or spiritual level or even a higher financial level, you may ask Allah to bless you with the same blessings and work harder to achieve them. I believe this is healthy. However, if you wish others ill because of your jealousy, that's illness in itself.

• Advanced Member

Someone once said to me the worst of the envious is one who cannot see an infant sleep or consume ie you cannot get more jealous than that!

:mellow: That's just pure evil!

To the OP - as someone was saying above, to feel jealousy/envy (I am going to use the terms interchangably) in the sense that you want something that someone else has is ok as long as you do not want to strip the other person of it (eg: you see someone who has a nice house and you want a nice house too). The problem is when you want what others have but don't want them to have it. That is a disease of the soul and if you're feeling any of it do get rid of it asap. There's no such thing as jealousy within reason (ie. the latter type of jealousy). Even an ounce of the latter type of jealousy would be wrong and unjustified and needs to be resolved internally asap. As for whether people are jealous by nature - I think that God created every human being as innately good to begin with. However, environmental and other factors can corrupt a person. Feeling jealousy is not natural at all - I can understand people wanting good things that others have but I can't imagine why they'd want to strip the other person of it, it makes no sense and is completely unnatural.

• 2 weeks later...