Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Please Help Me, Im Crying My Eyes Out

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I learned today that i need to make up all missed prayers before I became a practicing muslim. I am from a muslim family but my parents aren't religious at all and thus never told me to fast or pray. This was overwhelming to start, because i've missed about 10 years of prayers. To add to that, I found out that their was an obligatory way of doing ghusl before the period, i was doing it the sunni way which my mom taught me which was to recite this dua which apparently she used to recite when she was younger and prayed. Sometimes i would think to myself that maybe it was the wrong way, but I would always forget to go check online for the right way, are my prayers voided? I have only been praying for a year and I always did my ghusl after my period like that. Also, for a period of time when i did wuhdu i didn't wash my elbows, and i read on sistani's site that that will invalidate my prayers. Also, for a while i didnt know that i needed to make an intention before wuhdu. Are all my prayers void? please help, i dont think Allah would make me do them all over, he is most merciful, but in the situation with the elbows i was able to find the answer and it said that my prayers were void. please help me! :(

• Advanced Member

i didnt pray for 10 years (9-19) then i prayed for a year (its been a year and a few months that i've been praying) and ive been doing it wrong because my ghusl and wuhdu are invalid

A person used to make mistakes in the way he performed his wudhu (minor ablution) or ghusl (major ablution). After many years, he comes to realize his mistakes. When he inquires as how to solve his problem, he is told: "Repeat all your prayers and perform the pilgrimage again." Since saying all the prayers and doing the pilgrimage again is difficult, is there a solution which would salvage his prayers and pilgrimage performed with wudhu and ghusl that he thought was correct? Is there such a solution as a concession to this person so that he does not become disheartened and rebellions against religious obligations in a society which encourages such kind of rebellion?

Answer :

If he was ignorant out of innocence, and therefore made mistakes without causing harm (e.g., did not follow the proper sequence in washing the head and the other parts of the body in ghusl; or did the wiping of the head or feet [mash] with a new water), then his wudhu and ghusl will be considered correct; and, consequently, his past prayers and pilgrimage will also be considered correct.

But if he was ignorant out of negligence in learning the Islamic laws or did mistakes which do invalidate the act in general (e.g., leaving out some parts of the body which must be washed in wudhu or ghusl), there is no way to validate his past prayers and pilgrimage.

However, if there is the fear that he would totally rebel when asked to make up all the past prayers and pilgrimage, then it is not appropriate to ask him to do so. Maybe Allah will improve his situation in future.

so basically none of my prayers counted according to Sistani, right?

So i can do it one extra a day, thats fine?

its just sad to know that all my prayers were invalid, thats why im crying

• Advanced Member

Its ok sister, I have gone through the same thing, I owe about as many prayers as you because I was unaware of how to pray correctly and do wudu correctly for a number of years, but Alhamdulilah I am trying my best to finish them, don't worry, start out by praying 1 qadha salat after every wajib salat daily, and move on from there, inshallah you will finish them! Its difficult, but don't get discouraged! You can do it!

• Advanced Member

Salam, here is a Hadith for your problem. I know there are many to choose from, but to give you some relief, and May Allah (swt) accept your prayer's (and everyone else's), Insha'Allah...Here is one that may help you in trying to rationalize it...

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, "Whoever Allah accepts even one prayer from, He will not chastise, and whoever He accepts even one good deed from, He will not chastise."

Allah (swt) the Almighty, the most High, is All-Knowing, and most Forgiving :)

Ultimately Allah judges on intention sister so if you make errors in not knowing just start from now on and do your best, this deen is not a deen of burden so start slow and if you can make up one or two prayers a day that shows your willingness to worship Allah other than that I wouldn't stress so much just do your best :)

• Advanced Member

I've heard you could do all missed prayers as two rakat (units) instead of zuhr and asr for example four rakat.. better check with your marja though. And I think it applies only if you don't know how many prayers you've exactly missed..or maybe it counts if you have too many? Anyway, check with your marja.

• Advanced Member

so basically none of my prayers counted according to Sistani, right?

So i can do it one extra a day, thats fine?

its just sad to know that all my prayers were invalid, thats why im crying

relax, my mum's been through similar things too, except she rarely fasted in ramadhan which she has to make up... but anyway, she just prays one extra a day...its fine...

• Advanced Member

Salams,

I stopped praying when I was 11 yrs old cuz I was a silly kid and It didnt make sense to me. Then I started praying when I was 12 yrs. I went to hajj at age of 18yrs. I have never thought of doing those missed prays that I had when I was 11 yrs... mainly cuz I thought I was immature then and also I am hoping hajj wipes away all ur sins so that includes missed prayers?

• Advanced Member

Salams,

I stopped praying when I was 11 yrs old cuz I was a silly kid and It didnt make sense to me. Then I started praying when I was 12 yrs. I went to hajj at age of 18yrs. I have never thought of doing those missed prays that I had when I was 11 yrs... mainly cuz I thought I was immature then and also I am hoping hajj wipes away all ur sins so that includes missed prayers?

Wa alikum alsalam,

You have to make these missed prayers up. Even if someone does Hajj they still have to make up for there missed prayers. Doing your Hajj doesn't wipe away all your sins, as many people think (i.e. if you stole from someone before you went to the Hajj that sin won't be forgiven until you give what you stole back to that person whom you stole from and ask for their forgiveness).

• Advanced Member

I think everyone pretty much makes the intention for wudhu in their heads before performing it anyway, so that should not be an issue. I don't believe that you need to say it out loud. You can make the prayers up gradually. Don't put yourself under too much pressure. There is a quick way of reading the prayers - i think it's here: http://www.najaf.org/?lang=english&tab=eng_link&cat=learn&id=l_qadha