Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

If Polyandry Was Allowed, Would You Do It?

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Note: My starting this topic is merely to gauge opinions, hear what people have to say (brother and sisters are equally welcome), and spark a (hopefully) interesting discussion. If you do not wish for this topic to be discussed, don't like me on a personal level, or have nothing nice to say, kindly do not post in this thread please. I would love to hear reasons for and against equally, but rudeness will not be tolerated and will be reported immediately.

So, I was talking to one of my women today and the topic popped up. I basically asked her if polyandry, or reverse polygamy, was allowed, would she want to do it. She gave an emphatic yes. I am not going to discuss her reasons in here (it's up to her to talk about it publicly if she wants to) but I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Women: if you could have more than one husband, would you want to?

Men: if women could have more than one husband, would you be willing to share your wife with another man?

Happy discussing. I will post my opinion in a bit.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Men: if women could have more than one husband, would you be willing to share your wife with another man?

In such an ideal world, I'm sure we'd be able to snap women into four pieces. ;)

On a serious note, it depends. I think it could work out, depending on the fellow husbands that surround me. If we're all good mates, perhaps.

• Advanced Member

I thought you were a dude?

I am, I thought this question was directed at us as well :donno:

I meant I wouldn't want to share my wife with another man.

In such an ideal world, I'm sure we'd be able to snap women into four pieces. ;)

On a serious note, it depends. I think it could work out, depending on the fellow husbands that surround me. If we're all good mates, perhaps.

Bro, don't you think it would make the situation even worst? If they were friends but married to your wife at the same time... :/

• Veteran Member

Polygamy is hard for most women to accept - but if it was really a necessity for whatever reason, I think many could do it as women actually like working and socializing with other women. However........It would be really really hard for a man to share his wife as they are insanely jealous. That is the bigger question and one that you need to ask men - would they, if there were fewer women than men, agree to share a wife? Or would they accept no chance at marriage.

Edited by Maryaam

• Advanced Member

Polygamy is hard for most women to accept - but if it was really a necessity for whatever reason, I think many could do it as women actually like working and socializing with other women. However........It would be really really hard for a man to share his wife as they are insanely jealous. That is the bigger question and one that you need to ask men - would they, if there were fewer women than men, agree to share a wife? Or would they accept no chance at marriage.

Agreed, and I for one would not agree to share my wife. I doubt there would be many if any who would willingly want to share with wife with other men. There is a reason why Allah (swt) allowed men to have up to four wives. If there was a reason for woman to have multiple husbands, I'm sure Allah would of allowed it. But He hasn't.

• Veteran Member

Agreed, and I for one would not agree to share my wife. I doubt there would be many if any who would willingly want to share with wife with other men. There is a reason why Allah (swt) allowed men to have up to four wives. If there was a reason for woman to have multiple husbands, I'm sure Allah would of allowed it. But He hasn't.

What if there were not enough women for every man? Would you rather go without? Or even worse, see a man with 4 wives while you and several others have none? As already mentioned, this is a reality in many places. Obviously, this is not allowed Islamically - but interesting given the fact that there are not more women than men in the world.

Edited by Maryaam

• Advanced Member

What if there were not enough women for every man? Would you rather go without? Or even worse, see a man with 4 wives while you and several others have none? As already mentioned, this is a reality in many places. Obviously, this is not allowed Islamically - but interesting given the fact that there are not more women than men in the world.

I still wouldn't do it because its not Halal. Even if it was, I don't know if I would be comfortable with it. Maybe that's just me :/ but you have raised an interesting point. In that situation, you'd have to obviously at least consider it.

Ali Musaaa :)

I see you liked my facepalm pictures...you will probably unlike it after I tell you the reason.

I was not facepalming at the entire thread...it's a valid question that the OP asks since this does go on in some places in the world. I am facepalming at zameena as usual.....she has a knack for showing up in threads and telling us things not off topic......but it is something that no one needs to hear because we already know. For example, if someone makes a thread about a lemonade recipe....zameena will pop in and post "lemons are yellow" or something of that nature.

The more faith a man has the more he is jealous for his wife.

Zameena......as with everything in this world, what you have just said all depends on the character of the person you are referring to. There are some incredibly evil men in this world.....evil and godless, but loves his wife TO DEATH and will do horrible unspeakable things over his jealousy.

• Advanced Member

^... After I noticed you mentioned my name I was like: 'oh God... What have I done.' :P

Ali Musaaa :)

I see you liked my facepalm pictures...you will probably unlike it after I tell you the reason.

I was not facepalming at the entire thread...it's a valid question that the OP asks since this does go on in some places in the world. I am facepalming at zameena as usual.....she has a knack for showing up in threads and telling us things not off topic......but it is something that no one needs to hear because we already know. For example, if someone makes a thread about a lemonade recipe....zameena will pop in and post "lemons are yellow" or something of that nature.

Zameena......as with everything in this world, what you have just said all depends on the character of the person you are referring to. There are some incredibly evil men in this world.....evil and godless, but loves his wife TO DEATH and will do horrible unspeakable things over his jealousy.

I liked your meme for the very reason you said you posted it. Because of the comment above.

• Advanced Member

The Qur'an was revealed within a patriarchal context and the law of four wives served an underlying purpose of protection of widows. This gives us some perspective. What if Islam had been revealed in a matriarchal society? Would it oppose the social construct or adapt to it and reform it? I say the latter. Muhammad sought to mould the society as it is with the salient moral principles. Our problem is that we are far too literal with the law; fact is, it carries no inherent sacrosanct quality. What holds value is the purpose to which the law serves.

For example, it's an undeniable fact that there is no socio-political framework of governance present in the Qur'an or primary sources. The very basic reason being that religion is an eternal truth, not confined to the limitations of a specific reality. It is an everflowing existentialist expression of the relativitistic nature of the world, always fluctuating, detached from rigidity; yet displaying one truth all at once.

Islam isn't merely a religion, per se, stacked on the shelf with other belief systems; neither is it a packaged faith with timeless laws accommodating every specific question for every era. Rather it is a living reality, based upon the principles of humanity as humanity is. Islam means submission to factors and properties that promote growth at an individualistic and collectivist level. It offers a set of salient principles to abide by, thereby directly shaping the law around the primary principle and ethos according to the social context, whatever it may be.

• Veteran Member

Absolutely, decisively, straight out, unquestionably and unconditionally ----- No....

And as to why No ---one among some reasons--- I am not a social person, the person I chose to marry is said to be in the habit and routine of staying out of his home for long extended periods of time and when in the same city , he is rumoured to be, most of the time , insanely busy and away from home and this was the prime attraction of the proposal----being called and considered married without having to worry about handling a husband.

Whats wrong in sharing your life with a man? Have you had any bad experiences with men? Because that conception of marriage or certainly is not normal, it sounds more like some business contract devoid of emotion, compassion and well, companionship in general.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

This goes against man's fitrah - therefore it is highly unlikely most women will be open to the option of having multiple husbands (most can't even handle polygamy - although I would say their nature is made to accept it more readily than polyandary). But then again, we do have a fair share of people on Earth doing things against fitrah... :sick:

Wassalam

• Advanced Member

Whats wrong in sharing your life with a man? Have you had any bad experiences with men? Because that conception of marriage or certainly is not normal, it sounds more like some business contract devoid of emotion, compassion and well, companionship in general.

There is nothing wrong in sharing one's life with his/her spouse. Believe me, I am not a jaded person or a cynic, I like to see people having their fun and I have never questioned/doubted my friends when they tell me the stories of how much they are loved by their boyfriends or husbands. I believe in other peoples' love and their capacity to love.

I never had any bad experience, I am daughter of a great man ---yes I admit I have witnessed horrible things being done to girls/women { like physical torture, selling /buying etc } but at the same time the person whom I saw standing up to those things and fighting against them , at his own cost, was also a man, so no it's not like this...... I trust men and their courage and power to alter the fortunes of others.

Edited by ילדת מלך

(salam)

This goes against man's fitrah - therefore it is highly unlikely most women will be open to the option of having multiple husbands (most can't even handle polygamy - although I would say their nature is made to accept it more readily than polyandary). But then again, we do have a fair share of people on Earth doing things against fitrah... :sick:

Wassalam

:donno:

Only a completely shameless man with no dignity or honor would agree to such a thing.

Perhaps, but why can't the same be said of women?

• Unregistered

(salam)

If I want more than 1 husband ? no .. I don't want that... i'll have to cook double food :no: and wash double dishes :no: terrible

:P

Have double the amount of "of course, honey, of course you're smarter than he is"

although i think some might not mind double the amount of mahr and money :shifty:

double amount of sports and double the amount of doing stuff without reading the manual. Double the amount of wrong people to right person.. sigh just too much...

LOL satire aside, no way. Alhamdulillah Allah made things the way they are. I think some men might be able to handle more than one woman (God knows how they do it) but I don't think us women would be able to handle it...

Only a completely shameless man with no dignity or honor would agree to such a thing.

Another good point.