Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Akbar673

Imams (As) In Taqiyya ?

Rate this topic

From time to time on Sunni forums I come across the response that our Imams (as) did/said/acted certain ways on certain topics due to them being in taqiyyah.

Is this true?

I've always been taught/read that Imams (as) stood firm even in the face of peril and never bent their ways into taqiyah for the sake of having the truth spread to their followers. Why would they have been imprisoned and eventually martyred if they had the option of taqiyah to use?

Its something I see all the time on Sunni forums/websites.

Here is an authentic hadith about taqiyyah:

Imam Al-Baqr (as) said: "Taqiyyah is from my religion and the religion of my fathers; whoever does not have Taqiyyah does not have iman.” (Al-Kafi, Chapter Taqiyyah, Vol. 2, p.219)

This is proof that taqiyyah is a must for us Shiah.

How is taqiyah being linked back to the Quran?

Imam Al-Baqr (as) said: "Taqiyyah is from my religion and the religion of my fathers; whoever does not have Taqiyyah does not have iman.” (Al-Kafi, Chapter Taqiyyah, Vol. 2, p.219)

A vague hadith which will justify many to have a licence to do taqiyah at their own discretion. Al-Kafi has it's issues, even Shias admit to this.

Edited by Ugly Jinn

A vague hadith which will justify many to have a licence to do taqiyah. Al-Kafi has it's issues.

bro Allah has given us intellect. If you dont use it to save your life, you should be burned in hell.

Quranic verse: "Let not the believers take for friends or helpers

unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, (they) shall have no

relation left with Allah except by way of precaution ("tat-taqooh"), that

ye may guard yourselves ("tooqatan") from them....[3:28]"

NOTE: The two words "tat-taqooh" and "tooqatan," as mentioned in the Arabic

Quran, are BOTH from the same root of "al-Taqiyya."

"Any one who, after accepting Faith in Allah, utters unbelief,

EXCEPT UNDER COMPULSION, his heart remaining firm in faith -- but such as

open their breast to unbelief, -- on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs

will be a dreadful Chastisement [16:106]

Edited by pureethics

A vague hadith which will justify many to have a licence to do taqiyah at their own discretion. Al-Kafi has it's issues, even Shias admit to this.

Vague? It's quite clear, clear enough for our greatest scholars to say that it is obligatory. Shaikh Al-Sadooq (ra) said that the one who leaves taqiyyah is in the same position as the one who leaves prayer.

(wasalam)

Edited by Crescent

bro Allah has given us intellect. If you dont use it to save your life, you should be burned in hell.

Quranic verse: "Let not the believers take for friends or helpers

unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, (they) shall have no

relation left with Allah except by way of precaution ("tat-taqooh"), that

ye may guard yourselves ("tooqatan") from them....[3:28]"

NOTE: The two words "tat-taqooh" and "tooqatan," as mentioned in the Arabic

Quran, are BOTH from the same root of "al-Taqiyya."

That's saying to be cautious.

"Any one who, after accepting Faith in Allah, utters unbelief,

EXCEPT UNDER COMPULSION, his heart remaining firm in faith -- but such as

open their breast to unbelief, -- on them is Wrath from Allah, and theirs

will be a dreadful Chastisement [16:106]

Under compulsion means forced. So to save one's life. But what about other situations where life is not in danger?

Vague? It's quite clear, clear enough for our greatest scholars to say that it is obligatory. Shaikh Al-Sadooq (ra) said that the one who leaves taqiyyah is in the same position as the one who leaves prayer.

Vague in the sense it doesn't state the conditions in which taqiyah is obligatory.

Edited by Ugly Jinn

That's saying to be cautious.

Under compulsion means forced. So to save one's life. But what about other situations where life is not in danger?

Again, to save one's life it becomes obligatory. What about under other circumstances?

It's quite obvious that taqiyyah is allowed even in circumstances where one's life is not in danger.

Edited by Crescent

Here is one of the stories of the Shias trying to figure out who the Imam is after Imam Jafar Sadiqs death.

“Come in, may God have mercy on you.” I went in. There was Abu al-Hasan Musa, peace be on him. He spoke to me before ( I could speak):

“To me, to me; not to the Murji’ites, nor to the Qadarites, nor to the Mutazilites, nor to the Zaydites.”

“May I be your ransom,” I replied, “your father has gone.”

“Yes,” he answered. “He has left through death,” I said.

“Yes,” he retorted.

“Then who is in charge of the people after him?” I asked.

“If God wills, He will guide you to that man,” he answered.

“May I be your ransom,” I said, “your brother Abd Allah claims that he is the Imam after his father.”

“Abd Allah intends that God should not be worshiped (properly),” he declared.

“May I be your ransom, who is in charge of us after him?” I asked (again).

“If God wills, He will guide you to that man,” he repeated.

“May I be your ransom, are you him?” I questioned.

“I am not saying that,” he replied.

I thought to myself that I had not used the correct method of questioning. So I said to him: “May I be your ransom, do you have an Imam over you?”

“No,” he replied. Something came to me which only God knew with regard to honouring and showing respect (to Musa). So I said to him:

“May I be your ransom, may I question you like I used to question your father?”

“Question,” he said. “You will be informed but do not spread (the answer) around. For if you do spread it around, then slaughter will take place.” I questioned him. Indeed he was like a sea (of knowledge) which could not be exhausted.

I said to him: “May I be your ransom, the Shia of your father is lost (without a leader). May I put this matter to them and summon them (to follow) you? For you have taken (a promise of) secrecy from me.”

“Tell those of them whose righteousness you are familiar with,” he said,“but take (a promise of) secrecy from them. For if it gets spread around, there will be slaughter,” and he pointed to his neck with his hand. I left him and met Abu Jafar al-Ahwal.

“What happened to you?” he asked.

“Guidance,’ I said and I told him the story.

http://oceansoflight.wordpress.com/