Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Confusing Criteria Of Halal & Haram

Rate this topic

inferno

• Advanced Member

Salam,

I want to know what sorts of criteria are used to distinguish between lawful and unlawful foods within the ahadeeth. For example, there is a stipulated law, in either an edict or hadeeth that animals which have hooves can be consumed. But then I realised pigs ALSO have hooves. Which makes me wonder, what is it that makes a certain animal intrinsically halal for consumption, in the epistemic sense? Pigs share the same criteria but are categorically unlawful. Am I missing something here? Does this mean that we are judging according to a subjective criteria and something else should be used to assess instead?

Thanks.

Edited by inferno

Pings are Haram period! It strongly mentions it in Quran and ahadith. With hooves, without hooves don't matter when it comes to absolute haram things.To my understanding scholars use such methods you mention to figure out things that there is no clear text about it but when there is, they don't & can't make a Haram Halal because they think so.

There is a hadith that says from one of our Imams (dont remember which one) that everything that is mentioned to be Haram is Haram until judgment day and everything that is Halal is so until judgment day. (not exact wording)

I hope it helps!

Edited by Ali-Reza

consuming pork is forbidden in the Quran that's why theres no argument there as far as other hooved animals there has to be reasoning behind it I've never heard of hooved animals explicitly being haram

Curious Yoel I know its off topic but I noticed your religion said esoteric Judaism what exactly is that? you don't have to respond here you can message me as not to divert topic

• Advanced Member

I'm well aware that pigs are haram, but the fact is that they have hooves. So it doesn't make sense that "all" animals with hooves are lawful for consumption. Instead, it looks like there must be some other criteria alongside hooves.

I'm asking for ahadeeth that shed some light in this regard.

• Advanced Member

Curious Yoel I know its off topic but I noticed your religion said esoteric Judaism what exactly is that? you don't have to respond here you can message me as not to divert topic

Briefly, there is a vast body of esoteric spiritual teachings in Judaism known as Kabbalah. It has very many similarities to Irfan and Sufism. For me ritual practices and literal meaning of sacred texts is only a surface, though a very important one, that leads to many deeper levels of meanings. What you would call Batin in for me primary and Zahir is secondary, basically,

• Advanced Member

I'd really appreciate it if you could inform me where I can find the relevant narrations.

By the way, to your knowledge, is the camel halal? Camels have hooves.

An animal which has been prohibited by name in Quran is the pig. And then were the maskh (deformed) animals which are prohibited in the sunna. The rest of them with claws, paws, canine teeth range from close to being haram to makruh; and places where a specific name has not been taken we can do ehtiyaat for e.g: Kangaroo. Mujtahids however differ about kangaroo where one believes its haram and another halal so u can check with your marja.

The simple criteria is the ahadees of aimma a.s and general rules would not apply to specifics in all cases hence ehtiyaat where a general rule is present and when there is neither a general rule nor a specific one can exercise choice as he will not be questioned regarding what has not come to him from Allah azwj and ahlulbayth a.s.

• Advanced Member

That cant be the reason though, rabbits eat their tods and they are halal.

Salamalayk sister.

In our shia fiqh rabbits aren't halal, they are maskh (deformed) and the females have periods too; reasons given by aimma a.s.

• Advanced Member

For shia seafood allowed are those that have scales.Oysters have shells therefore haram.

But for sunnis oysters, catfish, shelfish, octopus ,lobster is allowed.

Pigs cannot be slaughtered Islamically. They dont have necks. They are filth eating animals. Their flesh have life threatening diseases and worms.

• Advanced Member

For shia seafood allowed are those that have scales.Oysters have shells therefore haram.

See, what I'm asking is the rationale for its prohibition. What is the reason a mollusc with a shell is haram? God prohibited pork for a reason, not randomly after all.

But for sunnis oysters, catfish, shelfish, octopus ,lobster is allowed.

Why is it allowed for them? What criteria do they apply in this regard?

• Advanced Member

See, what I'm asking is the rationale for its prohibition. What is the reason a mollusc with a shell is haram? God prohibited pork for a reason, not randomly after all.

Why is it allowed for them? What criteria do they apply in this regard?

Certain sea creatures if eaten by men will have negative effect on environment. Imam Ali used to go around in the market to warn and advice people not to sell sea products that do not have scales. Allah is all knowing.