Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abdar_Rahmaan

Ali In Kalima?

Rate this topic

Salaam,

A group of my friends asked me why you include Ali (as) in our Kalima. I'm sorry brothers but I could not answer him. This is why I am resorting to shiachat.

Any one know why we do it. I know it's not wajibat, and that on the day of Ghadir the prophet said whoever Praises me must praise Ali. But any more... With sunni reference please.

(wasalam)

1) It's not walib/part of the actual kalima. It's just a mustahab addition.

2) Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned Ali (as) being maula at ghadeer and then he said "on this day I have perfected the religion for you and approved it for you". So it is generally understood that Ali's (as) name did make it into the religion, and is not something that was added later. But there's a difference of opinion between the scholars. You are just as much a Shia if you don't say Ali's (as) name in the kalima/adhan/etc.

(wasalam)

1) It's not walib/part of the actual kalima. It's just a mustahab addition.

2) Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned Ali (as) being maula at ghadeer and then he said "on this day I have perfected the religion for you and approved it for you". So it is generally understood that Ali's (as) name did make it into the religion, and is not something that was added later. But there's a difference of opinion between the scholars. You are just as much a Shia if you don't say Ali's (as) name in the kalima/adhan/etc.

I got them ones. Thanks anyway.

For someone who wants to be part of Ahlul Jannah ^ your not going about it in the right way. When the time comes for you to be saved from the hellfire it is your love for Imam Ali and the Ahlulbayt which will save you. If you do not see it as important to include Imam Ali's name, then you cant claim to love him!

To OP i dont know if you will find sunni references to this, hence why they dont believe in it. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

For someone who wants to be part of Ahlul Jannah ^ your not going about it in the right way. When the time comes for you to be saved from the hellfire it is your love for Imam Ali and the Ahlulbayt which will save you. If you do not see it as important to include Imam Ali's name, then you cant claim to love him!

To OP i dont know if you will find sunni references to this, hence why they dont believe in it. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

Firstly no, that's not true. Just because someone loves the Prophets (sawa) family (as) doesn't mean they are guaranteed Jannah. Allah's Grace and Mercy saves you, nothing else.

And secondly, excuse me, but how dare you question my love for the Imam (as)? In fact I love him more due to not succumbing to the practice and innovation of Ghuluww (exaggerators). There is no proof that this practice was ever done by the Prophet (sawa) or the Imams (as) themselves. So to say one cannot love the Imam without his name in the Adhan is utterly absurd. So the scholars who condemned this innovation and condemned the Ghuluww who started doing it never loved Amir al-Mu'mineen (as)?

There are no Sunni references and there are no authentic Shia references either. That's why they don't believe in saying it.

What I find humorous is the fact Shia's will attack and criticise Sunni's for accepting Umar to add to the Adhan, yet they do it themselves...

It's an innovation and you should refrain from saying his name in the Adhan, Iqama and Tashahud.

Accepting Imam Ali (as) as your master is not an innovation in the kalima.

The kalima is stating your beliefs. Wilayat is a fundamental belief.

This has nothing to do with the things you have mentioned.

Edited by Replicant

Accepting Imam Ali (as) as your master is not an innovation in the kalima.

The kalima is stating your beliefs. Wilayat is a fundamental belief.

This has nothing to do with the things you have mentioned.

Accepting him as your Imam and reciting his name in the Adhan is a totally different matter. It is an innovation to state his name in the Adhan, Iqama and Tashahud.

Belief in the Day of Judgement is a fundamental belief as well. Why don't you mention that in Kalima?

Why is it so hard to just recite it the way the Prophet (sawa) taught us? Surely, you would agree if there was a better way to recite it the Prophet (sawa) would of told us, right?

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)

I apologise I misread that part.

Is there any evidence that it is part of the original Kalima?

My second question still stands

Kalima is stating your beliefs, like the shahada - that includes Tawhid, Prophethood, Qiyamah etc.

Amongst those beliefs is the wilayat of the Imams (as), and it's described as one of the most fundamental beliefs in our narrations.

Imam Baqir (as):

"Islam is built on five foundations: Salat, Zakat, Sawm, Hajj and Wilayat – and there was no call to any of these resembling that which the people were called towards in order to accept the Wilayah on the Day of Ghadir.” [Al-Kafi, Volume 2, Page 21, Hadith 8]

Imam as-Sadiq (as): “The fundamental pillars of Islam are three: Salat, Zakat and Wilayat. No one of these will be valid unless accompanied by the other two.” [Al-Kafi, Volume 2, Page 18]

Edited by Replicant

Kalima is stating your beliefs, like the shahada - that includes Tawhid, Prophethood, Qiyamah etc.

Amongst those beliefs is the wilayat of the Imams (as), and it's described as one of the most fundamental beliefs in our narrations.

Imam Baqir (as):

"Islam is built on five foundations: Salat, Zakat, Sawm, Hajj and Wilayat – and there was no call to any of these resembling that which the people were called towards in order to accept the Wilayah on the Day of Ghadir.” [Al-Kafi, Volume 2, Page 21, Hadith 8]

Imam as-Sadiq (as): “The fundamental pillars of Islam are three: Salat, Zakat and Wilayat. No one of these will be valid unless accompanied by the other two.” [Al-Kafi, Volume 2, Page 18]

I was under the impression that Kalima referred to the Shahada? At my Mosque that is what they referred to it as

I was under the impression that Kalima referred to the Shahada? At my Mosque that is what they referred to it as

It is, more or less.

As the Syrian accepted the Imam's [a] speech and instructions he said: "I witness that only God is to be worshipped and Prophet Muhammad is the Prophet sent by God. Verily you are the guardian of the Prophet and his other rightful descendants."

http://www.al-islam.org/hesham/16.htm

Edited by Replicant