Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

If Beards Were Not Wajib Would You Still Have One?

Rate this topic

(salam)

So some sisters get really worked up when we brothers ask them questions, so I figured why not ask ourselves a question or two that might garner some interesting discussion.

Personally, yes I would. I have 2 reasons. One is public and the other is private. The public reason is because beards are just way awesome and I really respect men that grow them. They just look manly. :D

So what about you guys? Would you still grow one?

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I reckon I would. I look heaps young as it is, without a beard it wouldn't be great :P

I remember in school when I didn't have any facial hair, one girl said to me that I look like a baby :mellow: lol

Alhamdulilah times have changed :D

• Advanced Member

To garner interesting discussion. ShiaChat is DEAD now. Used to be such a fun place but it's not anymore. We need more discussions, even if they're hypothetical.

Heh, I suppose you're right, but I think we can have more interesting discussions discussing our fiqh, tarikh, or even modern-day social issues instead. Whatever floats your boat though, akhi. :)

According to most scholars ( ;) ) it's wajib unless you face a hardship because of it. It's less wajib than hijab, but it's still wajib in most situations.

Aha i see, Then this makes it mustahab .

so your topic should be 'IF beards were not Mustahab.. would you still have one ''

just trying to correct my confusion :blush: sorry.

so your topic should be 'IF beards were not Mustahab.. would you still have one ''

According to most scholars its wajib based on obligatory precaution, although I believe there are some who do not say it is wajib at all.

• Advanced Member

I think it's haraam for a man to have off completely any facial hair he has but growing a beard isnt wajib since not all men can grow one, like some guys just get random patches of hair on their face or something or it doesnt grow long enough or somehing so they can't grow a decent beard and just have scruff all the time instead lol

But any girl can put on a hijab so yeah. I don't have shia sources for this because I discussed this with the brother who brought me to Shiism before I was Shia so he have me Sunni references to make his point lol but if u wanna see those I can share them :P

• Advanced Member

I think it's haraam for a man to have off completely any facial hair he has but growing a beard isnt wajib since not all men can grow one, like some guys just get random patches of hair on their face or something or it doesnt grow long enough or somehing so they can't grow a decent beard and just have scruff all the time instead lol

But any girl can put on a hijab so yeah. I don't have shia sources for this because I discussed this with the brother who brought me to Shiism before I was Shia so he have me Sunni references to make his point lol but if u wanna see those I can share them :P

Actually depending on who you speak too, in Sunni Islam it is not even considered Wajib. Itss just Sunnah. There are different levels of Sunnah and I've been told that using a Miswak 5 times a day is at a higher level of Sunnah than having a beard.

Hmm...

Interesting question.

Is a beard something of any practical use - in which case i'd be tempted to.

I mean if i analyze my life right now , without islam, i'd definitely just do what i do now.

I mean is a beard a religious duty, or is it for a purpose? Why do we need beards? It's debateabe... Some men look even better with beards lol

Actually depending on who you speak too, in Sunni Islam it is not even considered Wajib. Itss just Sunnah. There are different levels of Sunnah and I've been told that using a Miswak 5 times a day is at a higher level of Sunnah than having a beard.

I thought you were a Shia . . . :mellow:

Also, if it's only Sunnah in Sunnism, then why do they scream "kuffar" at everyone that walks into the masjid without one? :donno:

Thanks for the clarification sister ! =)

• Advanced Member

I would keep one. They make you look wise and smart, if well kept.

Hmm...

Interesting question.

Is a beard something of any practical use - in which case i'd be tempted to.

I mean if i analyze my life right now , without islam, i'd definitely just do what i do now.

I mean is a beard a religious duty, or is it for a purpose? Why do we need beards? It's debateabe... Some men look even better with beards lol

Beards are not even really wajib, but yes, I would have one.

31 more posts before you can use PM!

Ah!. How did they lower your post count? Lol

Hmm, i heard beards werent wajib to some muslims. I heard from others that it's mandatory.

May i ask..why is it wajib for men to wear a beard? The original reason was to trim the mustache and leave the beard to look different and distinguishable.

Everyone wears a beard though.

Edited by Rational Thinking

I'm not religious but I always kept it. Just like the rule of thumb for lions, the darker and fuller the mane, the healthier the lion, the darker and fuller the beards, the healthier the man.

Besides, as much as the new-age brain-washing has tried to propagate the sissified version of males, the fact doesn't change, facial hairs are still the object of attraction of females.

I'm not religious but I always kept it. Just like the rule of thumb for lions, the darker and fuller the mane, the healthier the lion, the darker and fuller the beards, the healthier the man.

Besides, as much as the new-age brain-washing has tried to propagate the sissified version of males, the fact doesn't change, facial hairs are still the object of attraction of females.

Lol, a lot of women/femenists feel intimidated by it.

I keep one too btw

lol.....why would a lot of women/feminists be intimidated by some hair? :!!!:

Maybe they feel men are too overpowering with a beard? Like Beyonce said, dem guhs want to run da world.

Too bad. We lion run it ourselves.

Them lionesses can go make us sheesh kebab brah!

Keep your beard!

Listening to Beyonce songs is haram!!!!1111!!11! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's easily readable on meme's and it's hard not to listen to beyonce when almost every shop plays music lol.

If you like it then you should have put a ring on it! woh oh oh

Brother, that is promoting marrige, and good morality! Marrige if half the deen!

• Advanced Member

I thought you were a Shia . . . :mellow:

Also, if it's only Sunnah in Sunnism, then why do they scream "kuffar" at everyone that walks into the masjid without one? :donno:

I am a Shia... Who said I wasn't :huh: ?

Only Jahils do that. I havnt come across any thus far,