Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Help On Salatul Layl!

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

salaam, i am very confused on a certain part of salaltul layl .. i am wondering about the first salaltul nafilat'ul layl ok do you do like fajir prayer and make the niyyah for salaltul nafilat'ul layl and do this 4 times?? with normal surah't from fajir prayer??

also for salatul shafi is there 2 rakat or 3?? i am confused please help i really want to lean how to pray salatul layl .. also can i hold a paper of the 40 people i want forgivness or in my hand? durng salatul witr?? shukraaaan katheeeran!! :) may Allah reward anyone who helps and anyone who doesnt.. wassalam

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

Dear Brother/Sister (salam)

The time for salaltul layl starts from mid night and last till Fajir prayers, It is 11 rakaat in total 1st 8 rakaat are performed like regular Fajir prayer with neyah of salaltullayl. 2 rakaat are shafi (as you said) and it is without qanoot. The last is one rakaat is known as salatul shafi. You can hold the paper or book to ricite duas and surahs. You can also ask duas in your own language. Moreover to this the following are also mentioned in the books

01. it is better to perform salatul layl in the last quater to the night mean close to Fajir so that Fajir can be linked with this salat

02. it can be performed by standing as we do in other prayers or by sitting as well

03. it can also be performed while travelling the direction of Qibla is not neccessery.

04. it is not neccessery to offer first 8 rakaat ony 3 rakaat can be performed based on the time and circumstances

05. it is better to wear neat and fine clothes with some perfume on them

I have tried to tell whatever I know. There are some other things like benefits of salatul layl etc. that I have left

I do hope inshallah these may help you. Please remember me in your prayers

Khuda Hafiz o nasir

• Advanced Member

Walaikum salam,

Salat ul-Layal:

2 rakats Nafilatul Salat ul-Layal 4 times

2 rakats Nafilatul Salat ul-Shafa no qunoot

1rakat Nafilatul Salat ul-Witr: 1st Surah al-Hamd, 3x Surah Ikhlas, 1x Surah Falaq, 1x Surah an-Nas, and long qunoot of Astagfirullah Rabbi wa atubu 'ilayh 70x, and if you can't say the 40 names of people say Allahum mugfiril momineen wa mominat 40x, and Al Afv 300x.

Salat ul-Layal is done in similar manner as Fajr 2 rakats each, same as Salat ul-Shafa with no qunoot.

If there's any inaccuracies please correct me. I'm not a scholar nor do I pretend to be one. Just a simple follower of the Ahlulbayt (a.s.).

May Allah grant you success!

• Advanced Member

Salam,

First, you need to perform niyyat as 'shab qurbatan illallah' 4 times for each 2 rakat 'shab' prayer.

second, 'shafa qurbatan illallah' for 2 rakat 'shafa' prayer - there is no qunoot in this. Purpose is to spend more time in folowing witr prayer

Third, perform 'witr qurbatan illalah' for witr prayer. 40 momineen is mustahab, looking at paper is allowed, but as many momineen you remember without paper is fine as well, to keep it easy, as long as you keep focus, more important.

Wassalam.

• Advanced Member

Salams;

This is how I do it.

Have intention of praying salatul layl.

You start the night prayer by praying 4 sets of nafalat al layl. So you make your intention of praying nafalatul layl and then you pray 2 rakat (like fajr) and you do this 4 times. You read al fatiha and then any sura u like EXCEPT in the first nafalatul layl, in first rakat u must read surah al ikhlas (kul hoa Allah ahad, Allah al samad.....etc) and in second rakat you read Sarah al kafaron (kul ya aoha al kafaron, la abd ma taboddon etc).

Then you pray salatul shafe3- its 2 rakat. First rakat u recite kul a3ooz birabi al nas, malek al has etc and in second rakat you ecite kul a3ooz birabi al falaq etc ( You are not allowed to raise your hands after u finish 2nd raka and before rukoo3 to recite dua like we usually do. i think called qunoot).

then u finish it all by praying 1 rakat of salatul watir. U recite fatiha, 3 times sura ikhlas, 1 time kul a3ooz bi rab al nas and 1 time kul a3ooz birabi al falaq then u do qunoot (were u raise hands up and recite 7 times: allahuma hasa makam al a3eez bik man al nar, 70 times istaghfar Allah wa atoob aleh, u seek forgiveness for 40 ppl, then say AL AFO (i seek forgiveness) 300 times) and then u do ruko3 and sajedeh and finish.

This is an excellent link: http://www.al-islam.org/salatullayl/5.htm

The first time i prayed it i was very confused and it took a long time and effort. After it became more cruisy. After it become much more spiritual and u start looking forward to the time u develop that connection with Allah (swt).

Goodluck, ask me any questions and plz forgive me if i missed anything.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

This is the most power full prayer, But i need to ask one thing please...

I dont know how to say it ...

These things are for after we have done our previous prays up 2 date meaning all the ones we have missed in our lives...

are you up 2 date with all missed wajib Prayers ?

• Veteran Member

Salam brother/sister

I would strongly advise you to get hold of 'Mafatih al Jinaan'. There's a section at the back called 'baqiyat al salihat' which deals with mustahab dhikrs and prayers and even the obligatory stuff. There's a bit on salatul layl and it explains it in detail.

But very briefly it goes like this:

1) 8 ruka nafilatul layl, split into 2 raka each. Do niyah of salatul layl 8 rukah.

2) When done do niyah of 2 rukah shaf'.

3) When done do niyah 1 rukah witr. Read Fatiha, then 3 times Ikhlas, one time Naas, one time Falaq. Then there's a special dua, after which you do your dua for 40 mu'mineen and 70 times istighfar.

Hope that helps. Oh and don't forget tasbeeh Al Zahra (as) when done. May Allah swt accept your deeds.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

This is the most power full prayer, But i need to ask one thing please...

I dont know how to say it ...

These things are for after we have done our previous prays up 2 date meaning all the ones we have missed in our lives...

are you up 2 date with all missed wajib Prayers ?

No. But you eventually have to perform the prayers you have missed. How about doing this: Instead of the first 8 raka of salat al-layl perform 8 rakas of missed prayers then perform the shaf and witr prayers, until all your missed prayers have been finished.

• 3 years later...
  • Basic Members

Assalamu alaykum,

Ive noticed on every website or forum chat ive been on they do say with salatul witr you should mention 40 (or more) people. my question is do you have to mention 40 people, or mention anyone at all? i dont know many people aside from close family members and friends but they do not add up to 40, or could i just say on behalf of every mo'mineen and mo'minaat instead of naming each one?so i was wondering if it is an obligation to mention this specicfic amount of people or not. 

Edited by Baneen.s
Forgot to add another question
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/13/2016 at 7:56 AM, Baneen.s said:

Assalamu alaykum,

Ive noticed on every website or forum chat ive been on they do say with salatul witr you should mention 40 (or more) people. my question is do you have to mention 40 people, or mention anyone at all? I don’t know many people aside from close family members and friends but they do not add up to 40, or could I just say on behalf of every mo'mineen and mo'minaat instead of naming each one?so I was wondering if it is an obligation to mention this specicfic amount of people or not. 

Name ulema, sheikhs, martyrs, famous people, your teachers, your acquaintances, your cousins, your uncles, random 'lucky' people ;)

Allah give you tawfeeq (Success)

• Veteran Member
On 12/13/2016 at 12:56 AM, Baneen.s said:

Assalamu alaykum,

Ive noticed on every website or forum chat ive been on they do say with salatul witr you should mention 40 (or more) people. my question is do you have to mention 40 people, or mention anyone at all? I don’t know many people aside from close family members and friends but they do not add up to 40, or could I just say on behalf of every mo'mineen and mo'minaat instead of naming each one?so I was wondering if it is an obligation to mention this specicfic amount of people or not. 

Start by the dead important people who have helped you in your progress as a Muslim (dead Muslim scholars, for instance). Then move to dead relatives and friends. Then start with alive people, using the same criteria. Then move to acquaintances (Muslim friends, people you met at the mosque, their kids, their parents, etc.) You don't necessarily have to know the name, you may say "Bakir's parents" for instance. Remember some of us Shiachatters as well.

I also use to add some ocassional names, people who influenced me positively somehow in recent days. You will probably end up saying more than 40 names.