Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

18 Year Old Girl With Ocd

Rate this topic

Minimori1994

• Basic Members

Salams, I am an 18 year old girl currently doing my A-levels...I have a normal life except for one thing: I have been diagnosed with OCD.

I started a blog about it yesterday, with the hope that it'll help me meet others with the same issues or simply to vent my own feelings. It would mean a lot if some of the Muslim brothers and sisters could follow my blog at ineeditmorethanfine.wordpress.com

It would really boost my morale if some of the comments were from Muslims, I'd really appreciate them in my struggle.

I know this might seem like asking too much and I understand if you ignore this...

Thanks and salam :)

• Veteran Member

WS,

You should probably do a whole body cleanse. And then supplement with good quality nutrition. This way your body shall function more normally, inshaa'Allah.

Brother there could be more to it. She needs to one or more of the following:

1, Stop the waswaas of shaitan.

2, Become spiritually stronger.

3, Get her brain (subconscious) to stop acting on habit and to have different beliefs. I.e. something along the lines of CBT or NLP.

4, Remove stresses that may be causing the problem.

3, Get her brain (subconscious) to stop acting on habit and to have different beliefs. I.e. something along the lines of CBT or NLP.

I think number Four should have been number one. Number one should not be on that list (thinking about an invisible jinn talking to you all the time is more likely to aggravate an OCD and worsen it). Spiritual help is useful, because we find peace in certianty and in ultimate help -whether it will materialise or not.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor, reading articles, and simply slowly getting rid of the OCD if you can.

The mind if powerful, and medical ilnesses aren't just physical - they can be mental. We can't see them so we assume it is not real, but they do exist you know and need to be dealt with.

Stress, Depression,ect are all ilnesses that can be as worse as any physical ilness.

• Veteran Member

Number one should not be on that list (thinking about an invisible jinn talking to you all the time is more likely to aggravate an OCD and worsen it).

Charles Baudelaire: "the devil's best trick is to persuade you that he doesn't exist".

The shaitan normally does not whisper vocally but brings about thoughts through other means. Brother, this is a part of our religion. Don't forget that the the shayateen are not just limited to the jinn.

Spiritual help is useful, because we find peace in certianty and in ultimate help -whether it will materialise or not.

Spiritual feelings can dramatically change how a person feels, they are not simply positive feelings that result from some sort of hope. They are put into the heart by Allah and can have a profound effect upon a person. You have to feel it to know it.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor, reading articles, and simply slowly getting rid of the OCD if you can.

She doesn't need to see a doctor. Do we go and see doctors when we are angry, unmotivated to pray on time or miserly? When does a mental or spiritual weakness become a medical condition that needs the attention of a pill giving doctor? She needs to find solutions with religion and understanding how her nafs works. The sister would benefit from reading this: http://www.al-islam....tyhadith/26.htm

Edited by Muhammed Ali

People do go see doctors when they have diagnosed medical conditions, OCD is not a mental or spiritual weakness I'd suggest you learn what OCD is before you start making assessments not everything is a "spiritual" matter sometimes people need a doctor's assistance.

Best advice I can give you young sister is take it a day at a time and if you need help get help, it takes time to get better so do your best :)

True. And some good advice from your side. Masha'Allah. I wanted to give her some basic starting advices that it seems almost everyone ignores.

-Stress levels are key. It's said stress accounts for up to 95% of all illnesses. This has a lot to do w/ the immune system and overall health and wellness. If anyone needs stress reducing tips, iA we can offer that as well.

-Another culprit may be from lack of knowing (or ignorance [or shayateen]) of certain truths, which may create doubts, and put one in a state of uneasy worry. This is where I like your comment about the subconscious mind; she needs to consciously build new patterns in action, and in time, it shall form into a new habit, subconsciously.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/16/bacteria-on-gut-flora-causes-ocd.aspx

• Advanced Member

If you want to cure yourself of OCD, you want to recite one of the short surahs near the end of the Quran exactly 1000 times. If you lose track or otherwise become doubtful of what number you're at, don't worry. Just start over again at one. Best of luck!

• Advanced Member

People do go see doctors when they have diagnosed medical conditions, OCD is not a mental or spiritual weakness I'd suggest you learn what OCD is before you start making assessments not everything is a "spiritual" matter sometimes people need a doctor's assistance.

Best advice I can give you young sister is take it a day at a time and if you need help get help, it takes time to get better so do your best :)

I agree with you to a certain extent. Having experienced it myself, I don't see it so much as a weakness as I do an imbalance that just needs balancing. Some people learn to deal with it on their own and some need professional help. The issue with professional help is not all but most like to try to treat OCD via chemicals which I strongly oppose because chemicals will always have an adverse affect on the human body. InshAllah the sister can find a healthy and effective way to deal with her condition.

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

I agree with you to a certain extent. Having experienced it myself, I don't see it so much as a weakness as I do an imbalance that just needs balancing. Some people learn to deal with it on their own and some need professional help. The issue with professional help is not all but most like to try to treat OCD via chemicals which I strongly oppose because chemicals will always have an adverse affect on the human body. InshAllah the sister can find a healthy and effective way to deal with her condition.

I agree, I don't think it's a weakness but just an indication that things in your life need balancing.

I would suggest some professional help if it is debilitating, preferably some cognitive behavioural psychotherapy that will help to change your thinking pattern. I'd stay away from pills for as long as possible- they have really bad side effects; however, if you need them I'd suggest starting and waning off.

I think it's important to note that the brain is elastic so it can change based on a change in thought process, lifestyle, etc.

So the way you're feeling now doesn't have to be a permanent state if you're willing to put in work and effort and find a balance.

Here are some suggestions I'd make that have helped friends of mine:

1. Find some structure- get a job, go to class, pencil in time for hobbies, sleep and wake up at the same time

2. Try strengthening your relationship with God and the Ahlul Bayt- when you say your prayers, take them seriously as some time for just you and G-d to talk

3. Spend time with family- you don't have to always interact with them but just having their presence while you're all working on your own things makes a huge difference

4. Leadership courses help build self esteem which might help you form rigid morals and find more strength to make decisions, stick with them, and not regret them

5. Take walks, embrace the sunlight

6. Exercise and try eating healthy!!!

I'm not a professional, just giving you some suggestions about things that have helped some friends of mine. When you hit that rut after embarking on the journey and making an effort, remember to keep going.

Mental illness is like diabetes- you'll always have it but you can live a healthy lifestyle if you control your insulin levels.

I'd also suggest going on youtube and watching a lecture by Brother Khalil Jaffer entitled "the end of negative suffering" :angel: