Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
race

Fear

Rate this topic

As-salaam mulaikum. Whats the definition of fear in Islam. For example a man of faith does not fear anyone but God but if he saw a lion coming after him, why would he run away. Or take your example, if you saw a jin, will you be afraid. How do you define fear. One saying of Imam Ali which might help is "He who fears God, fears none"

Fear (that is not an 'instinctive' reflex reaction to events immediately present) is created when we attach to anxious predictions. Fear cant exist when we are present in the moment and God-conscious. This state is extremely hard to sustain though. Fear inhibits love, as love is a pure state created by a heart that is not clouded by the mind. Fear that is thought created is a product of the ego. As soon as the mind starts its predictions, its stories, the heart is compromised and the ego/mind is fighting for control. This function of the mind is a major cause of mental illness/insanity which all of us suffer from (in the sense of us not living in the closest state of reality possible for us, but instead living in fantasy/past re-living/future imagining).

Fear is the antithesis of love. True love (that is not clouded by thought projections) is the acceptance of Gods reality = peace.

I don't believe that a man of faith who was afraid only of Allah would run from a lion because he is afraid of the lion. He would do so in order to protect himself from potential harm.

I would like to, however, take your question one step forward. How does one define fear of Allah?

I have only ever felt unconditional love, and an unspeakable connection with God. And while I have tried to inculcate fear (that is even recommended in so many traditions and narrations alike), Allah's mercy, His kindness, His grace, His love for us undeserving beings, the justice in His nature, and each and every characteristic has somehow managed to take me further and further away from this concept.

Edited by SaharZainab

As-salaam mulaikum. Whats the definition of fear in Islam. For example a man of faith does not fear anyone but God but if he saw a lion coming after him, why would he run away. Or take your example, if you saw a jin, will you be afraid. How do you define fear. One saying of Imam Ali which might help is "He who fears God, fears none"

Wa alaykum Salam.

Excellent question! We first need to find the Quranic term which corresponds to the Islamic conception of fear. I would think "Taqwa" is probably the word we are looking for.

Two points.

1)"Taqwa" essentially can be defined as being ashamed of doing anything indecent due to feeling of God's Presence (i.e. understanding that God is Omnipresent and Omniscient)! this is what it means to be "God fearing". It's not really fear as much as it is shame and embarrassment in front of God.

2) To fear God is not like fearing a thing. Because, unlike fearful things which a person would simply run away from, when God is feared a person doesn't only run away from Him, but he also runs towards Him. What I mean by this is that even though one may run away from God's wrath he would only do so with a view to running towards His mercy.

Well I cannot answer the question, and there are probably different views on fear and specifically fear of God. However, I think people are taught fear as well, how otherwise can we explain some people fearing things that others don't fear at all... and a good example is the Little Albert experiment:

Salam

We only fear because we have commited sin, i use to fear nothing, somethings i began to fear after being exposed to tele, later in life i fear big spiders ect...

But i noticed when i awoke for Fajar namaz that same spider seemed so perfect and i felt love for Gods creation...

When i was thinking of sin, i heard a be i punched it from behind th curtun and felt it was dead... I did not do the sin that way that night, but in the morning while cleanig say the bee was queen bee and had made it 5 meters (approx) to get me b 4 it died,

If we did fear Allah and did not sin the Lion would never touch us, and even if it was going to eat you, hence you knew your account was clear then you would be loving death...

One great way to erradicate fear is to thing of hell, i sometimes vision it and dogs run away, depending on the intensity of the vision...

So the more we do not fear Allah (not in words but by actions) the more the world will fear us, vice a verca the more we neglect God the more we will fear others,

A good way to test it is read Allahs names (Jamalli) ya Rahman Ya Raheem, try to avoid all sin while you do this, after an 30 min 2 one hour yu will feel no fear but not even death can come from accident or car crah flood earth quake as long as one is soing Ziker, plus if we dont do Ziker in this life you will not have eyes in the next life...

The more you will read on Barzakh and Judjmentday the less you will fear this world...

Sorry for bad spelling i never got this english language...

Salam...

O sorry 1 more thing the less you expect from this world and the less you love this world ... The easyer death will be...

The more you attach to this world the harder death will be...

If you love any one or anything it will let you down ...

Only Allah is The Love that will never break you or let you down, allways be around and remove all fear, remain forever yours...

This includes the 14 Masoomeen "a.s".....

Salam...

I don't believe that a man of faith who was afraid only of Allah would run from a lion because he is afraid of the lion. He would do so in order to protect himself from potential harm.

I would like to, however, take your question one step forward. How does one define fear of Allah?

I have only ever felt unconditional love, and an unspeakable connection with God. And while I have tried to inculcate fear (that is even recommended in so many traditions and narrations alike), Allah's mercy, His kindness, His grace, His love for us undeserving beings, the justice in His nature, and each and every characteristic has somehow managed to take me further and further away from this concept.

I lack a lot of knowledge in this subject you are asking about but one simple answer is fear of getting disconnected from Allah because if you get disconnected from Allah, then you are worth nothing. Then there is the fear of punishment.

I would advise on reading on those hadiths again and pondering over them and also trying to live between fear and hope. I believe you can find a lecture on this topic online somewhere