Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ruq

The Great Shiachat Bake Off

Rate this topic

Simnel cake

Heres a traditional easter time treat. I based the recipe on this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk.../simnelcake_792

I liked the cake, but found it too sweet with marzipan both in the middle and on the top, so if i made it again i'd leave it off the top. I left out the dried peel from the original recipe, because we dont like it. I used apricots, dates and saltana's, but you can use your favourite dried fruit (apparently dried cherries are nice in it)

Ingredients:

175g/6oz plain flour 175g/6 oz butter or margarine 4 oz of soft brown sugar 3 eggs pinch of salt 1/2-1 tsp mixed spice

350g/12oz mixed chopped dried fruit (i used apricot, dates & raisens) grated peel of 1 orange grated peel of 1 lemon apricot jam 1 egg to glaze (or milk)

For the marzipan: 250g/9oz caster sugar 250g/9oz ground lamonds 2 eggs 1 tsp almond essence (or make it easy fr yourself and buy marzipan)

For instructions on making almond paste please see link.

Take butter and eggs out of fridge well in advance so they are room temp.

Roll out a third of the almond paste . Use a plate to cut a circle 18cm/7in in diameter (this will go in the middle of the cake) and reserve the remainder for the cake topping. Alternatively, you could cut cubes of marzipan and mix them into the batter before pouring into tin.

Preheat oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1. Grease and line a 18cm/7in cake tin.

Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Separate the yolks from the whites. Whisk the whites with a little caster sugar until frothy (no stuffer than very soft peaks). Gradually beat the eggs yolks into the batter and then fold in the whites until well incorporated. Then in sift in the flour, salt and mixed spice (if using) a little at a time and stir in gently. Finally, add the mixed dried fruit and grated lemon & orange zest and stir into the mixture. This cake has no chemical leavener int he original recipe, but i added about 1/2 tsp of baking soda. I dont like very dense fruit cakes, so i threw it in last minute and the cake wasnt too dense, but its probably fine without it.

Put half the mixture into a greased and lined 18cm/7in cake tin. Smooth the top and cover with the circle of almond paste. Add the rest of the cake mixture and smooth the top leaving a slight dip in the centre to allow for the cake to rise. Bake in the preheated oven for 1¾ hours. Test by inserting a skewer in the middle - if it comes out clean, it is ready. Once baked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool on a wire rack.

Brush the top of the cooled cake with the apricot jam. Divide the remainder of the almond paste in half; roll out a circle to cover the top of the cake with one half and form small balls with the other half (traditionall 11 or 12)

Place the circle of paste on the jam glaze and set the balls round the edge. Brush the cake topping with a little beaten egg or a little milk.

Preheat the grill to high. Place the cake onto a baking tray and grill for 1-2 minutes, or until the top of the marzipan begins to brown. Alternatively, lightly heat the cake topping using a cook's blow torch, until the marzipan is golden-brown.

Naked cake:

simnelcake_zpse5098f02.jpg

Toasting the marzipan:

simnelcake2_zps9b6f4529.jpg

Finished:

simnelcake6_zpsf505de28.jpg

I dont know why my balls didnt brown :donno:

Edited by Ruq

<p><p>

^ O thats a shame, did you attach pictures?

No, I haven't baked it yet, I want to soon. I wanted to share the recipe that I found. It was a banana cream pie. Have you baked anything yet Ruq? :D

Edited by Entwined

Heyyy Ruq :)

I posted a yummy banana pie recipe, but I am assuming the mods didn't approve it cause they don't like bananas :D

It didn't even appear for it to be approved...

<p><p>

No, I haven't baked it yet, I want to soon. I wanted to share the recipe that I found. It was a banana cream pie. Have you baked anything yet Ruq? :D

I baked some tea cakes today and this time i used a bain marie in the hope it would make them softer and less dry on top. They were deffo softer and improved =)

Edited by Ruq

Oh, is that the simnel you made for your mum, Ruq? Only seen em in recipe books before, yours looks as good as!

Sigh, waaay too much baking in the past couple of years has led to me being on a low-carb diet right now, so I have to make do with these pics and recipes y'all put up

I baked some tea cakes today and this time i used a bain marie in the hope it would make them softer and less dry on top. They were deffo softer and improved =)

Is it good, cause I would love to make it. I never tried tea cake before.

FRUIT TART

Salams! i made a fruit tart today. I got the recipe here: http://www.joyofbaking.com/FruitTart.html

It gives you instructions for the pie crust and custard. I also added a layer of slightly sweetened mascapone cream & creme fraiche (mixed) on top of the custard for extra naughtiness.

This was my result (im quite pleased with it =D!) :

fruittart1_zpse6c308cb.jpg

fruittart2_zps26fd850f.jpg

Oh, is that the simnel you made for your mum, Ruq? Only seen em in recipe books before, yours looks as good as!

Sigh, waaay too much baking in the past couple of years has led to me being on a low-carb diet right now, so I have to make do with these pics and recipes y'all put up

Koshaan, treat yourself, im sure you deserve it! =D

Is it good, cause I would love to make it. I never tried tea cake before.

Yes i like them. I usually have them warm with butter on, although theyre nice cold too. Some people like to dip them into tea...

Try this banana, date and walnut cake! i got the basic recipe here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2198639/banana-date-cake-with-walnut-and-honey-glaze

but i made some alterations because i dont like using self raising flour and i always reduce sugar in recipes. Its very moist, with a lovely fluffy crumb. I didnt make the honey glaze because it was so moist it didnt need it. Heres a my version:

Ingredients:

175g softened butter, plus extra for the tin
200g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
90g light muscovado sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tbsp clear honey
2 overripe bananas (about 350g with skins on)
100g stoned dates
50g chopped walnuts

For the glaze:

2 tbsp clear honey
25g butter
50g walnut halves

* Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Butter and line the base of an 18cm Bundt mould or
round cake tin (see p120) with baking parchment.

* Cream the butter and sugar. Separate the egg whites from the yolks and put in separate bowls. Gradually combine the yolks with the creamed butter and sugar and add the honey.

*mash the bananas and set aside. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and making soda together. Incorporate some of the flour into the batter and then incorporate some of the mashed banana. Keep doing this untill you have all of the banana incorporated and most of the flour, but you dont want it too stiff because you will be folding in the egg whites.

* Whisk the egg whites to just stiff (careful not to over whisk, but let it get to the stage where it stays when you hold it upside down). Gently fold the egg whites into the batter youve already made (you want to try and keep as many air bubbles as possible). Once its all incorporated add any remaining flour and the chopped walnuts and dates. Make sure the flour is incorporated, but be careful not tomover work it (remember we're trying to retain air bubbles in the mixture).

* Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the top.

* Bake for 40-50 mins until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out
 clean (a round tin may take 10-20 mins more). Cool in the tin for 15 mins, then turn out and cool ona wire rack.

* To make the glaze, put the honey and butter in a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring until the butter has melted. Boil briefly, about 1 min, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts. Leave to cool until thickened and opaque. Spoon over the top of the cake and leave to set.

^ MashAllah, thats an excellent job you made with your piping Inquisitor. Ive obviously not tasted your bakes, but you seem to have a flair. Youre doing very well to say you only recently started baking. Have you ever thought about taking a course to learn more in depth? i have thought about it, but so far not looked looked into it.

Wholemeal Date Scones

Ive tried 3 different recipes for sweet wholemeal scones in the last 8 days >.< the first lot i tried turned out too firm and crunchy on the outside. It was partly due to me over baking them, but i felt even if i hadnt left them in a few mins longer they would still not be soft enough. So i found a different recipe that had no baking powder in, but baking soda instead and buttermilk. They turned out awful, hardly rose at all and had a weird after taste and werent sweet enough. So today i tried the first recipe again and tweaked it a bit. I will post the original recipe and put my tweaking suggestions in red.

500 grams flour (250 brown, 250 white)
80 grams butter
80 grams sugar (i used light muscovado)
2 eggs (+ 1 egg yolk)
5 tsp baking powder
250ml whole milk (i used 200ml buttermilk + 50ml whole milk)
100 grams or so of raisins or chopped dates
spice
(egg for glazing)

-Preheat the oven to 220C (200C fan assisted)/425F/Gas 7.

-Reserve 50 grams of the flour for needing the dough

-Lightly grease a baking tray with butter and line it with baking or silicone paper (not greaseproof).

-Rub the flour and butter together with your fingers to create a breadcrumb-like mixture.

-Add the sugar, eggs and baking powder and use a wooden spoon to turn the mixture gently. Make sure you mix all the way down to the bottom and incorporate all of the ingredients.

-Now add half of the milk and keep turning the mixture gently with the spoon to combine. Then add the remaining milk a little at a time and bring everything together to form a very soft, wet dough. (You may not need to add all of the milk.)

-Sprinkle most of the remaining flour onto a clean work surface. Tip the soft dough out onto the work surface and sprinkle the rest of the flour on top. The mixture will be wet and sticky.

-Use your hands to fold the dough in half, then turn the dough 90 degrees and repeat. By folding and turning the mixture in this way (called 'chaffing'), you incorporate the last of the flour and add air. Do this a few times until you’ve formed a smooth dough. If the mixture becomes too sticky use some extra flour to coat the mixture or your hands to make it more manageable. Be careful not to overwork your dough.

- Next roll the dough out: sprinkle flour onto the work surface and the top of the dough, then use the rolling pin to roll up from the middle and then down from the middle. Turn the dough by 90 degrees and continue to roll until it’s about 2.5cm/1in thick. ‘Relax’ the dough slightly by lifting the edges and allowing the dough to drop back onto the work surface.

-Using a pastry cutter, stamp out rounds from the pastry and place them onto the baking tray (i used 8cm). Dip the edge of the pastry cutter in flour to make it easier to cut out the scones without them sticking. Don’t twist the cutter – just press firmly, then lift it up and push the dough out.

- Once you’ve cut 4 or 5 rounds you can re-work and re-roll the dough to make it easier to cut out the remaining rounds. Any leftover dough can be worked and rolled again, but the resulting scones won’t be as fluffy.

-Place the scones on the baking tray and leave them to rest for a few minutes to let the baking powder work. Then use a pastry brush (or your finger if you don’t have a brush) to glaze them with the beaten egg and salt mixture (just a little pinch of salt to losen up the egg mixture). Be careful to keep the glaze on the top of the scones. (If it runs down the sides it will stop them rising evenly.)

-Bake the scones in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the scones are risen and golden-brown.

-Leave the scones to cool before eating.

^ MashAllah, thats an excellent job you made with your piping Inquisitor. Ive obviously not tasted your bakes, but you seem to have a flair. Youre doing very well to say you only recently started baking. Have you ever thought about taking a course to learn more in depth? i have thought about it, but so far not looked looked into it.

Lol. You liked the piping? My mom and me thought it was weird and started laughing at it. lol. We didn't have those piping bags, so I just took a plastic wrap and shaped it into a cone with the help of some sellotape and filled it with fresh cream. I didn't want to go through all the trouble but my mum insisted that she wanted a little extra something on top of the ganache...so she put me to more work!

No, I don't think I want to do any specialized course. I am baking now because I want to kill some time that I have nowadays and it also helps me bond with my mother. She is also a little excited on using her newly bought oven.

Lebkuchen

This is a recipe i modified a bit, but i found it was still too sweet for me, especially when iced, so next time i make it i intend to reduce the sugar drastically. The original recipe called for candied peel, which we dont like, so i substituted with crystalised ginger. The ginger gives a nice heat, but could have contributed to the overly sweet taste (even though i cut most of the sugar off the outside).

•     1/3 cup strained honey
  •     1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  •     1 tablespoon water
  •     1 tablespoon lard or butter
  •     1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  •     1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  •     1/4 teaspoon salt
  •     1/4 teaspoon cloves
  •     1/4 teaspoon ginger
  •     1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  •     1/4 (+ extra) cup candied or crystalised ginger, diced finely
  •     1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds (optional)

Method:

Place the honey, sugar, water, and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, stir to blend, and cool to room temperature (approx 1/2 an hour).

Sift the flour with the baking soda, salt, and spices. Stir into the honey mixture. Add the crystalised ginger and slivered almonds. This dough can be rolled out immediately, although some recipes insist on packing into a bowl or loaf pan, covering well, and letting it ripen for 2 to 3 days in a cool place.

Roll about 1/3 inch thick on lightly floured board. With a floured sharp knife, cut into strips about 1 x 3 inches (or other shapes aprox same size). Place on a greased or oiled cookie sheet or pan and bake in a 300ºF (just under 150 or 130 fan) oven about 10 minutes or until a very delicate brown. Do not overbake or the cookies will be very hard, although presumably they should be firm enough for dunking in coffee. Remove from the pan while still warm and cool on a rack.

To make the glaze, combine the lemon juice, hot water, and powdered sugar in a bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon or brush the glaze on the cookies to coat or decorate with piped royal icing. When the cookies are completely cool, store between sheets of wax paper in air-tight containers to age for two to six weeks. The cookies can also be decorated with bits of candied fruit cake fruits or candied cherries.

Lebkuchen1_zps79f7c10d.jpg

Original recipes: http://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/lebkuchen

Edited by Ruq

Peach Clafoutis (cla-foo-tee)

This is a versatile recipe. Its basically fruit in a set custard. Its traditionally made with cherries, but you can use any fruit of choice and flavour the custard with different essences and spices.

• 3 tablespoons plain flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 tablespoons golden caster sugar
  • 2 tablespoons demarera sugar
  • 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
  • 450 ml milk
  • grated zest of half a lemon
  • 50 g butter
  • 400 g tinned peach halves in juice, drained

Preheat your oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas 7.

In a bowl, add the flour, salt and 3 tablespoons of caster sugar to the beaten eggs. Mix well, then put aside. Warm the milk in a saucepan until lukewarm, then stir this into the egg mixture. Add the zest of half a lemon

Grease a shallow ovenproof dish with butter, put the drained peaches on the bottom then pour the egg batter over them. Dot the remaining butter on top in little knobs.

Pop in the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the egg has set but still has a slight wobble to it. Sprinkle over the demarera sugar and serve with a good spoonful of ice cream on the top. Absolutely delicious!

peachclafoutis1_zpsb1e1df4b.jpg

Peach Clafoutis (cla-foo-tee)

Absolutely delicious!

I just saw this post of yours, Ruq. This looks nice and I was thinking of making something similar...well, I was thinking of making a peach cobbler. Or maybe now strawberries are to be seen in the markets, I will end up making a strawberry cobbler. I'll give this a try too, sometimes. Looks yum.

I will end up making a strawberry cobbler. 

So, yeah my love for strawberries made me do just that. Made this today (excuse the image quality), I wish I had more strawberries to throw in. But it was good especially with vanilla ice-cream by its side:

StrawberryCobbler_zps911fbdeb.jpg

Stollen

This Stollen recipe by Nigel Slater was nice and straight forward. I replaced the 100g's of mixed peel with the zest of an orange and a lemon and added slightly more cherries and spice because we like cherries and spice. I replaced the fresh yeast with 2 and 2/3 packets of dry yeast also. Everyone seemed to think the balance of ingredients was good, but i would have preferred less marzipan.

IMG_20151224_130558587_zpsiq54aueo.jpg

dd275631-94fe-4d85-bfad-245798440969_zps

I forgot to update here about the cheese cake (i updated at bottom of this page on on Ate/Eating thread). I made it and we all enjoyed the flavour combo.

2 hours ago, Sumayyeh said:

I baked another great masterpiece....cookie cake with mint chocolate chips. I'm not going to lie...I got help from a cake mix :) 

image.jpg

Is that a giant cookie?

3 hours ago, Ruq said:

I forgot to update here about the cheese cake (i updated at bottom of this page on on Ate/Eating thread). I made it and we all enjoyed the flavour combo.

Is that a giant cookie?

Yes ma'am! 

Well...it's actually like a mix between a cookie and cake....You could even make them on a pizza pan to make it actually look like a giant cookie!

Its probably makrooh to look at this thread while fasting, everything looks extremely delicious! (specially the brownies & cookie cake :grin: ), never knew we had such good cooks on SC, if only I enjoyed cooking I too would have posted something lol.

Edited by Inconsolable

Don't mind the uneven cutting :blush:

the cookie cake was so easy and flew so fast (I didn't even get to try my own cookie cake last time :angry:) That I made another one!!!

you guys this is so easy. Just look up the recipe for "lazy cookie cake " :) 

I have such a renewed respect for people who cook and bake while they're fasting!! :accident:Wears u out!

image.jpg

CREAM PUFFS (OR CHOUX BUNS)

Salam to all,

Today i made cream puffs (i call them choux buns) for the first time. I'd not made choux pastry before and ended up having to make 2 batches because i made a misake on the first one.

I used the recipe from joyofbaking.com (there is an instructional video also).

I followed the recipe, being careful to take the water and butter off the heat before mixing in the flour. When i returned it to the heat to help the dough to dry out i dont think i let it dry out enough. When i came to add the egg the mixture was too wet. This meant that the buns didnt rise very much and took longer in the oven and stuck to the greaseproof paper when i came to remove them. This is what they looked like:

First%20batch%20choux%20buns_zpsypphvu3u

Theyre edible, but you run the risk of having the filling leak through the bottom of the puff.

I made a second batch, making sure to dry the dough out in the pan this time. I didnt need to add all of the egg (make sure you whisk the egg before adding it, this way you can add a bit at a time). This was my second batch:

second%20batch%20choux%20buns_zpsxmoqvco

I was fairly pleased with these, although they could be better. Im wondering if piping them out would improve the structure. I prepared some chocolate ganache and whipped cream. The ganache is approx 2 parts heavy cream to 1 part chocolate (in weight), but i added some extra chocolate because i wanted to be sure it wouldnt run off at room temperature. I heated the cream till it was hot enough to melt the chopped chocolate and then took it off the heat and  added the chocolate. After letting it sit a little bit i stirred it until smooth. I added a little bit of powdered sugar to the cream to make it slightly sweet:

choux%20buns%20ganache%20and%20cream_zps

After the puffs had cooled i cut them in half and filled with cream. I used a fork to drizzle the chocolate (this works better than a spoon if you want a drizzle rather than a dollop). Here are my finished cream puffs:

choux%20buns%20finished_zps6wfapeng.jpg

The ones smaller in width are the second batch, but they are more domed than the first batch.

I put way too much cream =P

@beardedbaker  Youre a baker, why dont you tell me how to make the large, soft choux buns like they sell in Sainsbury's?

sainsburys%20choux%20buns_zpssqbenquy.jp

^ These choux buns are not crispy and theyre 2-3 times bigger than any ive seen in any choux bun/cream puff recipes.

21 hours ago, Ruq said:

@beardedbaker  Youre a baker, why dont you tell me how to make the large, soft choux buns like they sell in Sainsbury's?

sainsburys%20choux%20buns_zpssqbenquy.jp

^ These choux buns are not crispy and theyre 2-3 times bigger than any ive seen in any choux bun/cream puff recipes.

why would i teach you how to make supermarket cr*p?

Edited by beardedbaker

2 hours ago, beardedbaker said:

...but how to make the them big and not crispy?

2 hours ago, beardedbaker said:

or, I much prefer the savoury version, I make these:

http://yummysupper.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/tartines-gougeres.html

gougeres.jpg

These cheese ones look good. Theyre best crispy i bet.