Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
neotherios

Am I Subject To Khums In The Following Context?

Rate this topic

Salamun alaikum,

Am I subject to khums in the following context,

I study in a university abroad and my parents take care of my expenses from university fees to pocket money. However, I do not get a fixed salary; money is sent to me whenever I require it. With regards to the following context while taking into consideration that I have never paid khums before due to my ignorance, I have three questions:

1) Must I pay khums in such a context?

2) According to Ayt. Khamenei, if I have never paid khums, do I need to pay the khums of all the years since my bulugh?

Thank you very much in advance,

Wassalamu alaikum we rahmatullah wabarakatuh

It's only when you have saved additional money from the beginning to the end of each year (if you started off say 1000 dollars on 1st January 2012, and on 31st December 2012 you find yourself with 1200 dollars, you only pay a fifth of 200, i.e. 40 dollars; if you ended the year with only 800 you pay nothing).

It applies to everyone as far as I know, so if in your situation you get the money as you need it, and don't end up saving anything then you owe zero in khums.

Wa alaikum assalam.

It's only when you have saved additional money from the beginning to the end of each year (if you started off say 1000 dollars on 1st January 2012, and on 31st December 2012 you find yourself with 1200 dollars, you only pay a fifth of 200, i.e. 40 dollars; if you ended the year with only 800 you pay nothing).

It applies to everyone as far as I know, so if in your situation you get the money as you need it, and don't end up saving anything then you owe zero in khums.

Wa alaikum assalam.

But if the money is coming from his parents, then I assume they would have already paid Khums on it. The same money does not need to have Khums paid on it twice.

Salamun alaikum,

Am I subject to khums in the following context,

I study in a university abroad and my parents take care of my expenses from university fees to pocket money. However, I do not get a fixed salary; money is sent to me whenever I require it. With regards to the following context while taking into consideration that I have never paid khums before due to my ignorance, I have three questions:

1) Must I pay khums in such a context?

2) According to Ayt. Khamenei, if I have never paid khums, do I need to pay the khums of all the years since my bulugh?

Thank you very much in advance,

Wassalamu alaikum we rahmatullah wabarakatuh

I wouldn't have thought so, since none of the money is yours, it is all your parents, and they are already paying Khums.

However, do not take my opinion - check with your Marji' or his representatives. Or look on his website for an answer.

But if the money is coming from his parents, then I assume they would have already paid Khums on it. The same money does not need to have Khums paid on it twice.

Brother, khums is not paid before expenditure, but after. It's only paid if any money is left at the end of the year (and only on the increase in savings, not more than once on the same money as you said).

So by definition, his parents can't be paying khums beforehand.

Brother, khums is not paid before expenditure, but after. It's only paid if any money is left at the end of the year (and only on the increase in savings, not more than once on the same money as you said).

So by definition, his parents can't be paying khums beforehand.

Mmm. Good point. But, what if the money they gave him is last years?

He should really ask his Marji'.

Mmm. Good point. But, what if the money they gave him is last years?

He should really ask his Marji'.

That got me thinking... let's say a business owner has one bank account for all his money. At the end of every year, he withdraws 1/5th of the difference in balance from last year and pays his khums (assuming he's making profits).

He pays his employees' salaries from the same bank account. Now from the employee standpoint, should they pay khums on (savings from) that income? My answer is yes.

He should definitely ask his scholar, maybe there are things we're missing, but I'm almost certain the answer will be the same - everyone calculates their khums.