Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Robin Hood

Pagans In An Islamic Country

Rate this topic

Depends. In Iran the Hindus are not recognized as a legitimate minority, but they are basically free to worship and have their mandirs as they please. The government doesn't really do anything about it.

It probably depends on the religion.

In Iran, Baha'is are oppressed and killed.

Good question brother. I've actually been thinking about this recently. I have yet to see any evidence that pagans can be classified as dhimmis in a Shariah state, so I think their case could be either a 'convert or die' one, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Edited by Naruto

The sunnis actually have an authentic hadith which states the prophet allowed the pagan bedouins the option of paying the jizya.

Either way, hindus are to be seen as an exception to the 'zero tolerance' policy towards pagans. This is because they, just like the Zoroastrians, have a book that they claim is of divine origin: the Vedas. Zoroastrians worshipped a whole pantheon of natural forces (fire, water, earth, sun, etc.) and dead people just like hindus yet they were tolerated because they had a scripture.

So does that mean that during the time of the prophet the pagans had to convert or else they were killed? The zorastrians in iran are protected under the constitution while hindus, buddhists and sikhs are not even after jizya is collected from them why is this exception made for zorastrians?

Why are the bahais persecuted in iran?

So does that mean that during the time of the prophet the pagans had to convert or else they were killed? The zorastrians in iran are protected under the constitution while hindus, buddhists and sikhs are not even after jizya is collected from them why is this exception made for zorastrians?

Why are the bahais persecuted in iran?

This is actually a very good question.

with Bahais I would guess that its a mix of political factors (they are still seen as a community that joined in hands with the shah's regime) and the fact that they originally grew out of Shiism so are seen as traitors and apostates rather than just a different religion.

What I would be really interested in seeing is what classical Shia scholars said about politheists and other non-Kitabi religions living under Muslim rule.

I am full aware of Christianity and Judaism being practiced in an Islamic State, I did hear that Sikhism exists in countries like Afghanistan, Iran, and Iraq and the same as Hinduism, most of the Hindus are of Indian origin doing expatriate work in those countries. Iran has a lot of Indian Sikhs living in Iran, they call Iran their home. Pagans living in an Islamic state, I would have to see that. It may exist in an isolated area, however I can't speak for that until I find something on that. I'd like to see that if it exists.