Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What If Someone Asked "are You A Shia?"

Rate this topic

Ali.20

• Advanced Member

Assalam Alaykum:

What if someone you know he is a Sunni and you told him you're a Sunni, even though that you don't want him to not be your mate, heard a question to you from someone that "Are you a Shia?" when someone knows you are a Shia is there, too?

Depends. Am i the one who says Ya Ali madad? Nope

Am i the one who does tatbir? Nope

Am i the one who only follows one ayatullah? Nope (my ayatullah lets me follow whoever i think i am Alim, as many).

So, i would say i am a muslim and i relate more to the shia school of thought minus the above.

• Advanced Member

I used to go to a Saudi Arabian school here in Australia and they are either wahabi or Sunni. This didn't stop me form praying on turba. There are other shia students who would proudly say they are shia. Living in this country makes it easy and safe to do so. I can understand saying your Sunni if you are held captive in talaban or something like that. If it happens that you don't feel comfortable sharing your identity (which I remeber happened to me in an instant or 2) then say I am a Muslim. Full stop. Don't let anyone bring up sects and tell them to change topics cuz we are all united Muslim nation inshalla.

• Advanced Member

It's unfortunate if it gets back to them that you really are shia then they will think you are ashamed of your religion. But if its happened, there is nothing you can do about it.

Think of what it means to be Shia. Think of, despite the opression of the enemies to wipe out Shia Islam, it is still thriving. And then if you are asked again, you will Inshallah you will be proud to declare you are a follower of Imam Ali (a.s)

If its a life threatening situation, of course there is taqayya.

• Advanced Member

Assalam Alaykum:

What if someone you know he is a Sunni and you told him you're a Sunni, even though that you don't want him to not be your mate, heard a question to you from someone that "Are you a Shia?" when someone knows you are a Shia is there, too?

I understand your situation brother.. Its not easy to see people walk away from you due to your belief.. some here will say that they would not care but in reality the situation is rather different..

Just think about Amir Al Mou'mineen Ali ibn abu Talib (as).. how almost all who declared they supported him, turned their backs on him.. Imagine how hurt he must have felt..

Edited by 3alii

• Advanced Member

Say Of Course (with Alhamdulillah)! Who cares what anyone thinks...I hear people all the time say, "Oh, I'm just Muslim." They fear telling people they are SHi3a, which really bothers me...People who are Shi3a should wear it with pride, and stop worrying about how other's will judge them. If a Sunni or anyone decides to dislike you because of your beliefs, who cares. Carry this phrase with you, and hold onto it,"La ilaha illAllah Muhammadur RasoollAllah Aliyun Waliyullah!!!" If you think about how the Ahlul-Bayt (as) were oppressed throughout history, I'm pretty sure not saying you are Shi3a would be an oppressive move on them too. Be proud! Stand Firm. To be honest, it is sad that someone will dismiss you or dislike you based on calling yourself Shi3a, but we must honor the Ahlul-Bayt (as), and make sure they always know we follow them. I'm sorry if you are put in a situation where people will judge you, but remember, "Anyone who loves us Ahlul-Bayt (as) must be ready to face of life of austerity." Imam Ali (as)

• Advanced Member

I spent my teenage years in the Middle East, studied Islam (Sunni version) from Grade 1 to Grade 11, 99% of my Muslim friends have been Sunni; heck, for some reason I always get along with Sunnis more than Shias, yet I label myself a Muslim.

Now there were many, many instance when people asked me being Sunni or Shia due to my last name, and I proudly said I am a Muslim first, but if you insist, I am a Shi'a!

Usually always, always people get shocked and say: You? A Shi'a? No Way!

I saw utter shock and disbelief in their eyes, apparently the vibe I give is Sunni, that's why the shock, and I don't know what the hell it means :P

Anyways, imagine being thought Sunni Islam all your life, and you chill with Sunni friends, and pray in the Masjids with them, at times, people don't like you, in the Middle East, you can feel the hatred for Shi'as in their veins (Not all; some)

But still, I say that I am Shi'a with a passion, at max they will challenge your beliefs, well, then so be it, challenge me and we shall have a debate, I am always ready for it.

Also my friends usually being Sunni are cool with my 'Shia-ness', just don't be awkward, be confident with your Madhab and you will never encounter problems.

Now you are in the West, safe from hate, safe from all, yet if you chicken out and lie your stance?

I constantly debate Sunnis on other forums, get declared Kufr and what-not, my belief get challenged in a good way to be honest, but the level of Imaan I have in Ahlul Bayt (as) is what I am proud of, even when my beliefs are challenged with a smart, thought-provoking point, I think, search and am able to refute it.

Look around, there is stereotypes and oppression, because I follow Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) message; and further, I follow the Ahlul Bayt (as) which is even harder.

Sure I would love to be part of the majority, but if that's what being loyal to Ahlul Bayt (as) means, then so be it, bring it on.

Thus in the end if I dealt and still deal with it easily in such circumstances, then anyone can, including you my bro.

And finally to make it clear, Taqiyya is done if someone has a freakin' gun to your head, in all other cases, man up, and follow the Sunnah of Ahlul Bayt (as) who remained true to their stance, even with an extreme magnitude of oppression.

Edited by GreyMatter

man if anybody doesn't want to be a mate with you because you're shia, then better not be his mate, mate.

also keep in mind that maybe Allah swt sent you to this person in order to guide / warn him.

i think taqya is allowed when in danger, but don't know how healthy it is for social reasons. anyway, you would want any mate to love you for whom you are, and it's better to be solitary with Allah and His angels, then to be with a fool who wont be your mate if he knows you're shia of Ali (as)

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Its interesting. I know some people who hide the fact they are shia; maybe to blend in, or protect themselves from abuse from the ignorant masses. However i find it annoying that people cant it find it in themselves to stand up for what they believe in and be proud if it. I understand if you are living in the mideast, where your life or job might be at stake, but theres simply no need for such taqiya in the west.

Personally; i dont make a point of announcing it to all and sundry; however, when the convo comes up amongst friends and acquaintances who dont know im shia, its usually some typical false accusation against shias, then i will not hesitate in telling them that no, thats simply not true.. And clarify what shias actually believe. And if they still refute me, then i say well i should know because i am shia.

The disbelief in their reaction is quite amusing; simply because ive seen it so many tmes and i know exactly what is coming next.

what they know about you as a friend conflicts with what they have heard or read about shias; and first they will automatically deny that you in fact are shia; and i will remain adamant that i am. They ask me further q on how i pray, adhan, muharram etc. And i will casually explain.

They then come to the conclusion that you are a different shia, not a proper one, like the one they have heard about, and i take great joy in telking them that infact i am one of those lol; so they claim, 'but.. You dont look or act like one..' and i ask them so what do they look like, and they generally dont have an answer... Because theyve probably not met one.

But after some serious cognitive dissonance; i can literally see the cogworks in thier minds; the confusion as those years of propaganda that they have heard from families, friends, mosques, media, come crashing down literally within a few minutes. What more could you really want.

And that is how you kill two, no three birds with one stone; 1. The propaganda dissolves itself as they cannot associate those things with you, 2: they no longer care for or trust what people around them, including their family and teachers; have to say about shias 3: they come to you in the future for clarifications/ information on shias.

It really is that simple. Theres no need for the heavy debates; cursing, no need for bukhari and muslim etc. Those serious debates should only be for the 'intellectual' types and even then if they are genuine, not for the average joe who just want to prove themselves correct via a slanging match. They are generally a waste of time and breath..

Edited by Asr

• Advanced Member

It depends on the situation, for example in my area there is an Islamic bookstore, now if I walked in and ask for Shia Books I might leave with a missing limb, kidney or even get shot... And no, I'm not kidding. One Shia had a gun pulled on them in that shop. Not sure why the police don't do anything. That place is a bloody hub for terrorism.

Firstly, don't let any Jahil tell you that you cannot pray on stones. The companions did so in the Messengers time. You can refer to Sunan An-Nasa'i they have a whole chapter on it.

I used be scared. Don't know how many times I would line up at my Mosque for Salaah with the Sunni's and then reach into my pocket to grab my leaf, only to pull out thin air. I was terrified. But when I finally developed half a spine I did and I had no issues. The youth even admired me for doing so. One said: 'bro, what's with the leaf?' So I said: "Back in our Prophets (sawa) time, there were no carpets in the Mosque and as such he would only prostrate on what naturally grew on the earth. So I only pray on earth like the Prophet (sawa), its a personal decision.' And the kid said: 'ah, that's cool' LOL

One brother lined up to pray next to me but he was late and he thought a leaf made its why into the mosque, little did he know it was actually my turbah! lol but one other brother told him that I was using it and he felt so bad and later kept apologising to me. He even wrote me an email saying he was sorry and that he didnt know, he thought it was just at leaf that blew in. He said he had friends at Uni who were Shi'a and never had any issues. He even admitted to me that its a Sunnah. So bro, don't be so shy. It depends who you are dealing with. You could be dealing with some good brothers or complete Jahil morons that would chant 'Kaffir! Mushrik!' If they saw your turbah. If they ask: 'what the hell is that!?' Just be like: 'What? Oh that... You mean my 'idol'?' And watch him lose it loooool

Btw, that was a joke... I def don't recommend you do that... :P

• Advanced Member

Ever since year 7 till now people have been asking me this question

I always say I'm shia. It hasn't made a diffrence what so ever.

Just explain shia ism then they will like it. Like my friends I had to explain matam and flagging to them, they understood...... I always say alhimdulliah because Allah has given me some great sunni friends that when I'm with them I forget there Sunnis or shia. We even talk about islam some times and its totally normal.

• Advanced Member

Depends. Am i the one who says Ya Ali madad? Nope

Am i the one who does tatbir? Nope

Am i the one who only follows one ayatullah? Nope (my ayatullah lets me follow whoever i think i am Alim, as many).

So, i would say i am a muslim and i relate more to the shia school of thought minus the above.

I dont even know why you would bring those things up

• Advanced Member

I would turn the question around, and ask them what they knew about the school of thought of Imam Ja'fer (as)

And i would adress it as that, a school of thought, just like the 4 major schools of thought in Sunni fiqh. And with their questions/misconceptions answered one by one, i will then tell them that yes, i am a follower (thus a shia) of the school of thought of Imam Ja'fer (as). That way they will appreciate what it is i believe in.

Mind you, if it's someone who has a gun pointed to my head and obviously has a thirst for shia blood... i might still tell them the truth. I dunno, I always wanted to leave this world as a shaheed : )