Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

An Email I Recieved

Rate this topic

Hassan_S

• Advanced Member

Salamualaykum

I recently recieved an answer to my enquiry as to whether a certain Marja is the most knowledgeable and asked for witnesses, I received the following from his office:

2. The following witnessed that His eminence is the most knowledgeable:

a. Sayyid Mohammed Mufti Al-Shia.

b. Shaikh Al-khaiefee.

c. Shaikh Tahirzada.

It was also confirmed to me that whichever Marja believes in the necessity of following the most knowledgeable must he himself believe that he is the most knowledgeable before allowing others to follow him.

In other words, every Marja out there who holds this condition also has witnesses

What's going on?

Does it really depend on who we ask?

It's an interesting paradox, isn't it? We are meant to follow the must knowledgeable, but every single marajah out there can technically be followed and technically must assert that they are the most knowledgeable. So in essence it is impossible to judge or decide as they all have witnesses. So basically it's all politics, because there is no criteria for judging the most knowledge able.

Eitherway, i follow a marajah that allows me to follow and choose rulings from the whole body, rather then basing my life on the interpretations of one fallible man.

Ay Sistani:Chess is harram

Ay. Khamanei : Chess is halal

After that, i gave up.

• Advanced Member

wa `alaykum as-salaam

Of course. Any marja` who says you have to follow the most knowledgeable marja`, and then allows people to follow himself, implies therefore that he considers himself to be the most knowledgeable. But then if you have multiple maraji` like today, it means even those who are positioning themselves to be the knowledgeable cannot agree on who it is. Much less whatever witnesses they might have who would testify to their individual candidate being the a`lam, which I imagine all of them could provide, though it begs the question of how these lesser knowledgeable people (since they are not putting themselves forward for taqlid) would be capable of identifying who amongst the scholars higher up than them are truly the most knowledgable.

The reality has little to do with actually being a`lam, it's more family, political, students and organizational connections.

:huh:

• Advanced Member

I agree with what was posted although we've always been able to distinguish our A'imma's knowledge from the rest even though we're not as knowledgeable as either of them, so this point I may disagree slightly, but none the less it's true...

What really astonishes me today is the fact that I have never seen a Marja's son follow anyone but his father...now, can it be just a coincidence that each of them are convinced as to their fathers status or is the fact that I've never seen different point to something other than a complete system? But then again some will say politics is intertwined with religion, which I agree. But not in this case

I agree with what was posted although we've always been able to distinguish our A'imma's knowledge from the rest even though we're not as knowledgeable as either of them, so this point I may disagree slightly, but none the less it's true...

It's different with our a'immah, because we're told via 'ahadeeth to follow the Imams of Ahlul Bayt (as). It isn't up for elections.

• Advanced Member

It's different with our a'immah, because we're told via 'ahadeeth to follow the Imams of Ahlul Bayt (as). It isn't up for elections.

Offcourse, but we are still able to compare and contrast between two people e.g. Imam Reza a.s's debate with the Christian Scholar. We can clearly see who the most knowledgeable was of the two was, regardless of whether those who were watching were knowledgeable or not. Solely by the answers the Imam a.s gave.

Offcourse, but we are still able to compare and contrast between two people e.g. Imam Reza a.s's debate with the Christian Scholar. We can clearly see who the most knowledgeable was of the two was, regardless of whether those who were watching were knowledgeable or not. Solely by the answers the Imam a.s gave.

Surely it is illogical to bring maraja's to have competitions and debates on issues? There are a number of problems:

It tests a specific area of knowledge,and islamic law and life is one tremendously broad area.

For one fallible man to give their interpretation on it and demand people follow them blindly is illogical.

However, if we are told to follow the rulings from all the maraja's and examine the evidences for our selves, now that is a much more cogent method of ruling.

It's what i am doing by permission of my marajah if i have understood his ruling correct.

• Advanced Member

Surely it is illogical to bring maraja's to have competitions and debates on issues? There are a number of problems:

It tests a specific area of knowledge,and islamic law and life is one tremendously broad area.

For one fallible man to give their interpretation on it and demand people follow them blindly is illogical.

However, if we are told to follow the rulings from all the maraja's and examine the evidences for our selves, now that is a much more cogent method of ruling.

It's what i am doing by permission of my marajah if i have understood his ruling correct.

That sounds interesting, who is your marja?

• Advanced Member

But every Marja would of had at least 2 or 3 witness's that have declared they are qualified, so how do we determine who is the most qualified when hundreds if not thousands of people are all claiming that are the most knowledgable?

• Advanced Member

Ay Sistani:Chess is harram

Ay. Khamanei : Chess is halal

After that, i gave up.

Chess is a weekly event in my house so Ay Sistani is off my list!

PS this post is going to make me implode in confusion... It's almost a riddle that needs solving...

Edited by MrsBasaran

• Advanced Member

Chess is a weekly event in my house so Ay Sistani is off my list!

PS this post is going to make me implode in confusion... It's almost a riddle that needs solving...

You can't just through a Marja off the list because you do a haram activity.

There are explicit and clear cut narrations from the Imams (as) stating that chess is completely haram, however, Khomeini (from what I have read) interpreted it as playing chess with betting involved as this was possibly how it was played in the times of the Imams (as).but of cause, Allah knows best.

You can't just through a Marja off the list because you do a haram activity.

There are explicit and clear cut narrations from the Imams (as) stating that chess is completely haram, however, Khomeini (from what I have read) interpreted it as playing chess with betting involved as this was possibly how it was played in the times of the Imams (as).but of cause, Allah knows best.

Knives were used in sinful ways as well, back in those days. Do we have narrations that forbid knives? I don't think so. To me, I think it's more than that. I would avoid chess, just to be on the safe side. It's a gamble [pun intended] just throwing aside the 'ahadeeth about chess.

• Advanced Member

Ayatullah Sayed Kamal Haydari

http://www.shiachat....-his-marjaeyah/

He says if we can not discern who is most knowledgeable, we can follow all the scholars we think are alim if i have obtained my information correctly.

This scholar makes sense to me. I think many have forgotten that what is useful isn't always practical