Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How Can Fish Be Considered Halal If They Eat Worms

Rate this topic

Al-Hassan

• Advanced Member

Salam alykom

I posted a question on yahoo answers earlier this week asking non-muslims if they think whether eating omnivore animals like pigs is morally right or not. One response I got was from one person asking the difference between eating fish and pigs if they are both considered omnivores? He claimed that fish are not only omnivores but as well and will eat anything including dead human flesh. Now I am aware that not everything in the sea is halal, and that in order for a fish to be considered halal, it must have scales. However even those that do have scales end up eating worms if you feed them and of course worms are considered najis. So how are we permitted to eat fish if their food is impure? Any ideas on how I can reply to him.

Here is a link to the question.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtMKHwiVec3.y4xKbNs8DkLty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130202205536AAC1f73

Below is what the guy responded.

"When I was a lad, my daddy used to take me fishing. I was asked to take a nasty, slimy earthworm, impale it on a hook and use it to catch a fish. Fish are omnivores, and will eat other fish (cannibalism) and vermin like worms and insects. Some will even eat dead things, including dead human bodies. Fish can carry parasitic tapeworms that can infect people...

In my mind, I cannot get over those things and nothing in the world can make me eat fish.

So, as a Muslim, do you feel the same way I do towards fish?"

fi aman illah

• Advanced Member

Salamu aleikum

Which fish are you referring to? If your talking about catfish then they are indeed haram since they are scavengers and omnivores. But as for the fish that we tend to eat, I believe none of the usual fish - salmon, trout, etc - eat worms or other large insects/animals. They all eat plants or if they eat anything else it would be tiny plankton-like organisms

• Advanced Member

Salamu aleikum

Which fish are you referring to? If your talking about catfish then they are indeed haram since they are scavengers and omnivores. But as for the fish that we tend to eat, I believe none of the usual fish - salmon, trout, etc - eat worms or other large insects/animals. They all eat plants or if they eat anything else it would be tiny plankton-like organisms

Salamu aleikum

I am referring to the fish that are made halal for us. Moreover some fish that are considered hallal for us do eat worms and this is seen from the popular fishing going on where the worms are used as bait. I have even read some fishing stories on this forum as well where they said that worms were used to catch the fish and eventually eat it . However I am not sure what type of fish they would be fishing but I'm sure most of them would be able to differentiate between a catfish or halafish with scales.

Salamu aleikum

Shrimps are omnivores

This whole discussion is flawed from the start.

All animals, eat "lesser" animals in the food chain. If a bass doesnt eat a worm, a bass will still eat a smaller fish that eats worms. Even fish that only eat plants, plants often thrive on organic matter from dead animals.

I thought pigs were considered haram because of their hooves.

If you believe that because a halal animal eats a haram animal, then the halal animal is actually haram....then you may as well stop eating any food at all. Rather you should just go stand outside and start converting sunlight for your diet.

Just stay away from fish that don't have scales.

[ 30152 ] 7 ـ محمد بن علي بن الحسين قال : قال الصادق ( عليه السلام ) : كل من السمك ما كان له فلوس ، ولا تأكل منه ما ليس له فلس .

7 – Muhammad b. `Ali b. al-Husayn said: as-Sadiq عليه السلام said: Eat of the fish whatever has scales, and do not eat of it whatever does not have a scale.

http://www.tashayyu....foods/chapter-8

(wasalam)

Edited by Ibn al-Hassan

• Veteran Member

Chicken eats worse than insects. A larger flying insect that attacks crops in swarms is said to be halal. Strictly herbivore parrots are said to be haram because they eat with the help of their claws, and parrots are said to be the tastiest of all birds because they eat fruits. Rabbits are said to be haram because they reproduce too much, put its tender flesh under a running tap and it'll dissolve. Some animals, like pigs, are said to be haram because they are from humans who got cursed and became pigs (Winston Churchill - half pig!).

• Advanced Member

Salam alykom

I posted a question on yahoo answers earlier this week asking non-muslims if they think whether eating omnivore animals like pigs is morally right or not. One response I got was from one person asking the difference between eating fish and pigs if they are both considered omnivores? He claimed that fish are not only omnivores but as well and will eat anything including dead human flesh. Now I am aware that not everything in the sea is halal, and that in order for a fish to be considered halal, it must have scales. However even those that do have scales end up eating worms if you feed them and of course worms are considered najis. So how are we permitted to eat fish if their food is impure? Any ideas on how I can reply to him.

http://answers.yahoo...02205536AAC1f73

"When I was a lad, my daddy used to take me fishing. I was asked to take a nasty, slimy earthworm, impale it on a hook and use it to catch a fish. Fish are omnivores, and will eat other fish (cannibalism) and vermin like worms and insects. Some will even eat dead things, including dead human bodies. Fish can carry parasitic tapeworms that can infect people...

In my mind, I cannot get over those things and nothing in the world can make me eat fish.

fi aman illah

Salaamun-aleykum,

If you do taffakur, you will find that Allah (SWT) has declared those land animals (pigs, etc.), sea creatures (fish without scales, lobsters, etc.) and birds ( Which eat with claws) as Haraam, which eat dirt, dead and other harmful things.

Allah (SWT) , Creator is the Absolute Environmentalist.

He created those haraam animals to keep environment clean for His best creation, human.

Of course those haraam animals, as they clean environment, are dangerous for human beings. So He declared them haraam.

Fi-Amaanillah

Edited by Sipahi110

I don't think its ONLY about what they eat because Cows and chickens specially those that are raised in modern farms, God knows what they eat. It also has a lot to do with their defense mechanism as well as spritual\metaphysical reasons as well as other reasons we don't understand.

For example pigs could be contaminated by all sort of viruses that doesn't hurt them but it can hurt us.

• Advanced Member

Refer to the hadith above bro; I believe the thing that makes a fish halal is if it has scales, not what it eats

Salaamun-aleykum,

There is no quarrel with the Hadith.

Hadith provides sign of how to recognize which fish are halal. Allah (SWT) created his creation with signs for human beings to use. .

But, there is underlying wisdom behind what is the behaviour of fish without scales.

Most probably, one of the reason, Allah (SWT) created fish without scales is to keep the floor of ocean, etc clean.

There is a reason behind every creation of Allah SWT.

Salam alykom

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtMKHwiVec3.y4xKbNs8DkLty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130202205536AAC1f73

fi aman illah

Pigs arent only haram because of what they eat, but also because you cant slaughter them the halal sharia way from the neck.