Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AhlulBayt_313

Can Anyone Explain The Different Shi3A Sects?

Rate this topic

I'd like to learn more about the differences of the Shi3a sects that are out there. I've heard of 3 types so far. If anyone has any information on the differences in practices that separate us, please let me know. Or maybe give me a website than can show me the differences. Salaam

The reason why I am asking is because I am looking for a Marja. So, isn't it important that I have a Marja that is from the same sect as me?

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Ithna Asheri (Twelver) Usuli - What you (and the rest of us) are.

Ithna Ahseri (Twelver) Akhbari - They don't believe in taqlid. Here's an interesting (pro-Akhbari) comparison. EDIT: That "comparison" is very very pro-Akhbari and has many things around about Usulis. They are blatant lies. I simply posted that so you can see their side of it. But please remember that they are trying to sell you something.)

Zaydi - They believe that Zayd ibn Ali was the 5th (and final) Imam instead of Muhammad al-Baqir [as]. They are very similar to Sunnis.

Ismaili - They believe that Ismail bin Jaffer was the rightful 7th Imam instead of Musa al-Khadim [as]. There are a couple divisions in the Ismaili community, the most prominent being the Nizaris which believe that Agha Khan is the current Imam.

Alawite - They believe that Ali [as] is God and they have a lot of odd practices. They aren't really Shia, but they grew out of Shia'ism.

Edited by Ismi_Zayn

Ithna Asheri (Twelver) Usuli - What you (and the rest of us) are.

Ithna Ahseri (Twelver) Akhbari - They don't believe in taqlid. Here's an interesting (pro-Akhbari) comparison.

Zaydi - They believe that Zayd ibn Ali was the 5th (and final) Imam instead of Muhammad al-Baqir [as]. They are very similar to Sunnis.

Ismaili - They believe that Ismail bin Jaffer was the rightful 7th Imam instead of Musa al-Khadim [as]. There are a couple divisions in the Ismaili community, the most prominent being the Nizaris which believe that Agha Khan is the current Imam.

Alawite - They believe that Ali [as] is God and they have a lot of odd practices. They aren't really Shia, but they grew out of Shia'ism.

Are the Akhbari from Pakistan? Kuwait?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I don't think they are location specific. They used to be far more relevant but they have mostly died off now.

Thanks, I'm trying to find a lecture on it. Not really having any luck yet...

^ No, they are a different ideological movement along with the Usulis. This may help, if you have the time...

The Nature of the Akhbari / Usuli Dispute in Late Safawid Iran

(wasalam)

Thanks Brother :) I'm trying to figure out the different sects, that way I dont choose a Marja that belongs to a different sect, because then I will really get confused I think...

Thanks Brother :) I'm trying to figure out the different sects, that way I dont choose a Marja that belongs to a different sect, because then I will really get confused I think...

Oh, well, technically the only sect that currently has the concept of marja'iyat are the Usuli Twelvers. So, you actually can't follow a marja' who is from another sect because they don't have that concept to begin with. In other words, you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. ^_^

(wasalam)

Edited by Ibn al-Hassan

As one of the brothers mentioned, today after the Ithna asharis (being the majority of shia), there are Ismailis (second largest shia group) and the Zaydis (who mainly concentrated in Southern & Yemen).

The Ismailis, i.e. those who believe in the Imamate (divine leadership) of Ismail (the eldest) son of Imam Ja'far As-Sadiq (as) are Split up into two sects:

- The Nizaris: the majority of the Ismailis and they believe that their current Imam, Karim Agha khan, is the 49th Imam

- The Mustaali: Also known as the Bohras, who believe that there were 21 Imams and that the 21st Imam went into occultation, though they DO NOT believe that the 21st Imam will come back but rather the Imams' descendant will. So it could be the 100th descendant, i.e. Imam after the Prophet who comes back. etc. They are mainly concentrated in India & Pakistan, though they have mosques and centres across Europe, America, Africa, Australia etc.

I myself am an ex-bohra & my family are all Bohra, but inshallah one day they will see the truth.

The Split between the Nizaaris & Mustaalis occured when there was a difference between their 18th Imam, Mustansir; one decided to follow one son, i.e. Nizaar and one followed the other, Al-Mustali/

Mind you, the The Bohras themselves are split into a few sub sub-sects (confusing I know), but the majority are the Dawoodis, so whenever you here 'bohra' it would normally refer to Dawoodi Bohras,

In brief: The two sub-sects trace their foundation back to the Fatimid Imams who ruled Egypt for a number, but unfortunately, history narrates that these Imams were nothing more than rulers who were only hungry for power & wealth.

I would definitely encourage you to read this book by an ex-bohra in Mumbai and it really gives a good grounding on the splits between the twelvers & Ismailis:

http://bohrashia.com/English.pdf

Also a more detailed article:

http://bohrashia.com...Bohra Faith.pdf

Here is a video of man in America who has also converted :)

(wasalam)

Edited by Labbayk

As one of the brothers mentioned, today after the Ithna asharis (being the majority of shia), there are Ismailis (second largest shia group) and the Zaydis (who mainly concentrated in Southern & Yemen).

The Ismailis, i.e. those who believe in the Imamate (divine leadership) of Ismail (the eldest) son of Imam Ja'far As-Sadiq (as) are Split up into two sects:

- The nizaris: the majority of the Ismailis and they believe that their current Imam, Karim Agha khan, is the 49th Imam

- The Mustaali: Also known as the Bohras, who believe that there were 21 Imams and that the 21st Imam went into occultation, though they DO NOT believe that the 21st Imam will come back but rather the Imams' descendant will. So it could be the 100th descendant, i.e. Imam after the Prophet who comes back. etc. They are mainly concentrated in India & Pakistan, though they have mosques and centres across Europe, America, Africa, Australia etc.

I myself am an ex-bohra & my family are all Bohra, but inshallah one day they will see the truth.

The Split between the Nizaaris & Mustaalis occured when there was a difference between their 18th Imam, Mustansir; one decided to follow one son, i.e. Nizaar and one followed the other, Mustaal.

Mind you, the The Bohras themselves are split into a few sub sub-sects (confusing I know), but the majority are the Dawoodis, so whenever you here 'bohra' it would normally refer to Dawoodi Bohras,

In brief: The two sub-sects trace their foundation back to the Fatimid Imams who ruled Egypt for a number, but unfortunately, history narrates that these Imams were nothing more than rulers who were only hungry for power & wealth.

I would definitely encourage you to read this book by an ex-bohra in Mumbai and it really gives a good grounding on the splits between the twelvers & Ismailis:

http://bohrashia.com/English.pdf

Also a more detailed article:

http://bohrashia.com...Bohra Faith.pdf

Here is a video of man in America who has also converted :)

(wasalam)

Thank you for the Information. I will look this up :)