Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Did Zayd Ibn Ali Claim Imamate?

Yes.

Islamic dynasties of the Arab East: state and civilization during the later medieval times']

The death of Imam Ali Zayn ul Abidin triggered the struggle for leadership between his two sons, Muhammad al Baqir and Zayd...Zayd rejected the principle of hereditary succession to the imamat, and asserted his own right to it on the ground that he was better qualified for it, because he fulfilled all the necessary conditions for this purpose including the one that the Imam must rise in revolt against the unjust, oppressive rulers.

Edited by Ismi_Zayn

what a joke, it was a decision made by Allah, not family line. Just ask the prophets decision was by Allah each imams was as well.

I agree with you. I was simply posting the evidence that Zayd ibn Ali did claim Imamate. I do not believe that Zayd was the Imam, but instead Muhammad al-Baqir [as] is. But that doesn't change from the fact that there is evidence that Zayd claimed it.

• Veteran Member

I agree with you. I was simply posting the evidence that Zayd ibn Ali did claim Imamate. I do not believe that Zayd was the Imam, but instead Muhammad al-Baqir [as] is. But that doesn't change from the fact that there is evidence that Zayd claimed it.

I dont think Zayd claimed it, it was his followers or people against the imams trying to bring confusion within the truth. Just look at the hadiths by the imams after Baqir A.S, compare them with zayd, the chosen will be automatically shown.
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Zayd bin ali according to Jaafari scholars to my knowledge did not claim it. But if you ask a Zaydi of course he is going to tell you he did.

• 1 year later...
  • Basic Members

I am from the roots of Imam Zaid bin Ali. But my entire descend is not at all Shia. In fact we are Sa'afi and belong to Naqshibandi Khalidiyya. I indeed have a huge family tree begins with Imam Ali r.a, Imam Hussein r.a, Imam Zainal Abeddeen and Imam Zaid bin Ali...carrys on down..In fact the current Naqshibandi Khalidiyya sheikh , Sayyed Fawzaddeen k.s. is the 40th imam following Imam Ali r.a.

• Veteran Member

I am from the roots of Imam Zaid bin Ali. But my entire descend is not at all Shia. In fact we are Sa'afi and belong to Naqshibandi Khalidiyya. I indeed have a huge family tree begins with Imam Ali r.a, Imam Hussein r.a, Imam Zainal Abeddeen and Imam Zaid bin Ali...carrys on down..In fact the current Naqshibandi Khalidiyya sheikh , Sayyed Fawzaddeen k.s. is the 40th imam following Imam Ali r.a.

And......?

• Veteran Member

are you from the the Indian sub-continent. In particular Bangladesh. I know that Shah Jalal came to Sylhet area and many of his companions were Syed and in particular Zaidi Syeds.

In fact the Naqshbandis have been trying to convert Bengalis to Naqsbandi claiming that Shah Jalal was Konya in Turkey when in fact he was from Konya in Yemen.

Most Naqsbandi orders trace their order back to Abu Bakr. A minority trace their order to Hz Ali (as). Is that the case with the Khalidiya order

Edited by A true Sunni
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

According to al-Kafi he did.  Zaid said to al-Baqir, "The Imam from us is not the one who would sit in his home, draw the curtain around

him and lag from struggle (jihad). The Imam from us is the one who safeguards his dominion, fights for the cause of Allah a real fight, defends those who hold high regards for him and his rights."  

al-Kafi H 934, Ch. 81, h 16
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from al-Husayn ibn Sa‘id
from al-Husayn ibn al-Jarud from Musa ibn Bakr ibn Dab from the one who narrated to him
from Abu Ja'far Muhammad al-Baqir.

The entire hadith is quite long with several layers of addition that will support the Ithna' Ashari view that he didn't claim it, or at least not explicitly.  The Ithna' Ashari view cannot be supported due to the fact that Zaid's son and grandson, and great grandson and, you get the point, all explicitly claimed the Imamate.

• Veteran Member

Zaidi imams were only political imams. Zaydis take their religious knowledge from others like 12ers imams and sunni imams.

12ers imams are religious leaders. 12ers take their religious knowledge only from those 12.

The whole concept of Imamah is different. Any way, 12ers view Zayd as saint and scholar amongst Ahlulbayt scholars, his revolution was just and his loyalty was to Imam Baqir.

• Veteran Member

Zaidi imams were only political imams. Zaydis take their religious knowledge from others like 12ers imams and sunni imams.

12ers imams are religious leaders. 12ers take their religious knowledge only from those 12.

The whole concept of Imamah is different. Any way, 12ers view Zayd as saint and scholar amongst Ahlulbayt scholars, his revolution was just and his loyalty was to Imam Baqir.

Given the situation in Yemen, I'm surprised more of our scholars and preachers haven't devoted as much time to Hazrat Zayd (as).

Also, I would add that historically, Twelver Shi'ism as we understand it often grew under the patronage and protection of Zaydi Imams. Arguably, if it weren't for the Zaydis, Shi'ism and Twelver Shi'ism would never have taken over Iran.