Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

(salam)

I was talking to my colleague at work about karma. I asked her whether or not she believed in karma. This is roughly what she said:

"No, i don't believe in karma. Look at how many evil people there are in the world who are living happily and how many innocent people who are being abused and are miserable most of the time. Karma doesn't always get the evil people back. A lot die evil and happy. And what about the innocent people? They live a really bad life and die that way. They don't end up being happy or anything. In fact, in this world it's always the evil people that are happy and successful and the poor/good/innocent people that are abused, live a very bad life and suffer from really severe illnesses. If karma really did exist, these poor innocent people would not live this way."

I was going to tell her that if they don't get their punishment/reward in this life, they'll get it in the hereafter. But i know she doesn't believe in the hereafter, so i didn't bring it up. I just let the conversation fade.

I started thinking about what she had said and i thought to myself..."could she really be right?". For the evil people that don't get punished in this life...they will definitely get punished in the hereafter. But what about those evil people that karma DOES get? Why are they getting punished TWICE whereas the other evil person is only getting punished once (i.e. the hereafter)? And what about the innocent Muslims...that are abused/live a sad life in this world and also get punished in the hereafter for not being good Muslims? Why do they get double the punishment? Do you get what i'm saying?

And what about the non-Muslims that live a bad life? Is their punishment 'lighter' in the hereafter?

I believe Allah (swt) is the Most Just, but how would i answer a person if they asked me these questions? Can someone please shed some light on this topic?

Jazakum Allahu Khair.

A man came to Al-Hasan Al-Basri and said: “I heard you say that if you commit sins, then Allāh prevents you from things. "I do all the sins that you can think of and don’t do many good deeds. I have a beautiful wife & beautiful kids & a lot of money & land & am successful.  Allāh did not prevent me from anything. How is it that you say that because of sins Allāh prevents you?”

He replied: “Do you pray qiyāmul-layl? Do you enjoy your dua? Do you enjoy your ṣalāh? That is enough prevention that He prevented you from communicating with Him.” 

One of the companions of Imam fell ill. Imam Ali called upon him and thus advised him: "Be thankful to Allah. He has made this illness a thing to atone your sins because a disease in itself has nothing to bring reward to anyone, it merely expiates one's sins and so far as reward is concerned, one has to earn it with his good words and good deeds. The Almighty Lord grants Paradise to his creatures on account of their piety and noble thoughts".

16:97

Whoever does good whether male or female and he is a believer, We will most certainly make him live a happy life, and We will most certainly give them their reward for the best of what they did.

I tried finding a hadith on hardships cancellong out sins too, but i couldnt find a shia hadith for it lol if i come across it ill share it iA. Also, everyone is judged on their own scale because everyone goes through different things and have different amounts of knowledge...

I'm pretty sure I've read something that says if you get punishment in this life you don't get it in the next life but I wanna find the actual Hadith or source I read it from to be 100% sure... (because every now and then I mix up Sunni and Shia hadiths lol)