Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Searching For A Marja

Rate this topic

AhlulBayt_313

• Advanced Member

Assalamu Alaikum. I have a quick question. In terms of picking a Marja, what are some key factors to use when deciding on which one to choose? There are so many to choose from, so is there an easier process to help eliminate certain one's? Thank you. Also, if you choose one, and realize he is not what you expected, can you choose another one?

• Advanced Member

Sayed Fadhlulah

I've heard of him, and I've read many of his teaching's. There still are like 3-4 more I'm looking at. Can you give reasoning to why choosing Fadlullah?

Sayed Fadhlulah

/thread

You have Sistani as your background picture, but are telling to choose Fadlullah? I'm confused.

• Advanced Member

Why don't you have a look at this thread:

And yes, if you choose one and realize that another is more knowledgeable in your opinion, you can change. There is no restriction on how many times you change your taqleed. To start with go with whoever you think is most knowledgeable and if you change your mind, you can always change your taqleed.

It might be worth mentioning make sure your Mara'ja and his works are accessible to you. This is regarding the works and fatwas by the mara'ja; ensure they are available in a language you understand.

• Advanced Member

Why don't you have a look at this thread: http://www.shiachat....-marja-and-why/

And yes, if you choose one and realize that another is more knowledgeable in your opinion, you can change. There is no restriction on how many times you change your taqleed. To start with go with whoever you think is most knowledgeable and if you change your mind, you can always change your taqleed.

It might be worth mentioning make sure your Mara'ja and his works are accessible to you. This is regarding the works and fatwas by the mara'ja; ensure they are available in a language you understand.

Thanks! I am just confused on who to choose is all. All of them seem very knowledgeable about various topics, but have certain differences. It's just had to know which one is the MOST knowledgeable. And you are right, I looked up Sayed Jamal Haydari, as an example, and I cant find anything in English, but if I go to Sistani he offers English. But, my problem is just because one offers English, it doesn't make him more knowledgeable. Thanks for helping me :)

Oops, I guess I opened a bad topic or something :( I just wanted help. I didn't expect slander to occur from my topic. My apologies.

• Advanced Member

Thanks! I am just confused on who to choose is all. All of them seem very knowledgeable about various topics, but have certain differences. It's just had to know which one is the MOST knowledgeable. And you are right, I looked up Sayed Jamal Haydari, as an example, and I cant find anything in English, but if I go to Sistani he offers English. But, my problem is just because one offers English, it doesn't make him more knowledgeable. Thanks for helping me :)

Oops, I guess I opened a bad topic or something :( I just wanted help. I didn't expect slander to occur from my topic. My apologies.

It's not your fault if people want to disagree in this thread so don't worry, you are right to seek knowledge.

Well narrow it down to say two, realistically all of the mara'je are very knowledgeable so one who publishes in English may be more advantageous for you if you think two are equally knowledgeable. Sayyed Kamal Al-Haydari has become a Mara'ja more recently so in regards to his works, give it time.

Although there is no limit to the number of times you change taqleed, it would be nice for you to choose once and be happy with it otherwise you will go through this again and again :P

Edited by *Sayyeda*

• Advanced Member

I was just joking sister, as he is quite hated around here.

Why is he hated? I never heard anyone say that about a Marja before. I've heard people say they don't agree with certain Marja teaching's and belief's, but never heard anyone use the word hate. :cry:

• Moderators

You should find three mumin brothers or sisters who you trust their opinion and they are knowledgeable and ask them.

If you don't know three or they don't agree with each other, then I will give my opinion, if you would like. InShahAllah.

Also, you cannot do taqleed to Sayyid Fadlallah(ra) because he is dead. You can only do taqleed (begin doing taqleed) to a marjaa who is living

Sayyid Fadlallah(ra) is not a heretic.

Br. Please don't make those kind of disrespectful statements, especially about an alim (at least you can agree he is alim) who is passed away.

This is gheebah and has consequences in this world and the next.

You should read some of his writings if you want to know about him, rather than just listening to what others say.

May Allah(s.w.a) forgive you

Edited by Abu Hadi

Why is he hated? I never heard anyone say that about a Marja before. I've heard people say they don't agree with certain Marja teaching's and belief's, but never heard anyone use the word hate. :cry:

A couple of reasons. Some people on this forum are just weird. Some are Sunni ass-kissers. Some just disagree with some of his teachings.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Khamenei HA has English websites and other languages, too.

His office: http://www.leader.ir/

Preserving and Publishing his works: http://www.khamenei.ir/

• Advanced Member

It's not your fault if people want to disagree in this thread so don't worry, you are right to seek knowledge.

Well narrow it down to say two, realistically all of the mara'je are very knowledgeable so one who publishes in English may be more advantageous for you if you think two are equally knowledgeable. Sayyed Kamal Al-Haydari has become a Mara'ja more recently so in regards to his works, give it time.

Although there is no limit to the number of times you change taqleed, it would be nice for you to choose once and be happy with it otherwise you will go through this again and again :P

Hamdillah, thank you for your reply :P I don't like to cause arguing over my topics. I just needed some help. There is one topic regarding Marja that has me a little perplexed. Forgive me if I don't spell it correctly. The term lanat or is it la3na. As far as this example. I hear people do Lanat or is it la3na on Yazeed or Aisha. Some Marja say it is ok to do lanat and some don't agree. I am confused about this entire topic of lanat or cursing. Maybe that should be a new thread option. But, it's one example of why I can't choose a Marja yet, because I don't know if this is ok to do or not. I've read in the Qur'an about Prophet Dawood (pbuh) and Prophet Isa (pbuh) doing this, but I'm not sure if it's something we do, or is it part of the Qur'an that was explaining when they did it. Does it make it ok for us to do it? See, I am confused, haha!! :blush:

You should find three mumin brothers or sisters who you trust their opinion and they are knowledgeable and ask them.

If you don't know three or they don't agree with each other, then I will give my opinion, if you would like. InShahAllah.

Also, you cannot do taqleed to Sayyid Fadlallah(ra) because he is dead. You can only do taqleed (begin doing taqleed) to a marjaa who is living

Br. Please don't make those kind of disrespectful statements, especially about an alim (at least you can agree he is alim) who is passed away.

You should read some of his writings if you want to know about him, rather than just listening to what others say.

Are you responding to me or to the person who made a bad comment on my topic? All I did was ask for help on here. Other people made bad comments, not me.

Sadiq Shirazi, Sistani, and Khorsani are generally considered to be the most knowledgeable (well, until Totem gets butthurt and comes in here screaming YA KHAMENEI). Sistani has a good English site. Perhaps try reading up on him :)

I think I just got into trouble because of your previous comment earlier :cry:

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Khamenei HA has English websites and other languages, too.

His office: http://www.leader.ir/

Preserving and Publishing his works: http://www.khamenei.ir/

Thank you Sister, I will look him up as well. I feel bad now posting this topic, it seems everyone getting mad, and now I am getting into trouble when all I did was ask for help! Ya Allah! :donno: Now I feel bad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No you didn't. Why would you get in trouble for my comment? He was responding to me, that's all. :)

Yes, but he sounded like he was yelling at me for asking. He responded to you and me in the same message. So, it is hard for me to discern who he was referring to on each line. :cry: Oh well, I have a right as a Muslimah to seek knowledge and guidance. But, your comment about the Marja was not nice, because he is not alive. I won't ask why you said it, because I don't want to drag that out. I just needed some Marja advice..

• Banned

Yes, but he sounded like he was yelling at me for asking. He responded to you and me in the same message. So, it is hard for me to discern who he was referring to on each line. :cry: Oh well, I have a right as a Muslimah to seek knowledge and guidance. But, your comment about the Marja was not nice, because he is not alive. I won't ask why you said it, because I don't want to drag that out. I just needed some Marja advice..

He wasn't yelling at you. :) I'll rewrite his post in a way that can better show what he meant.

AhlulBayt_313, You should find three mumin brothers or sisters who you trust their opinion and they are knowledgeable and ask them.

Zulfiqar, Sayyid Fadlallah(ra) is not a heretic.

• Advanced Member

He wasn't yelling at you. :) I'll rewrite his post in a way that can better show what he meant.

Oh I see :) OK, that makes sense to me now. Thanks! But, he offered to give me his opinion, and he didn't give it. Maybe he will respond with it soon, Insha'Allah.

• Advanced Member

Hamdillah, thank you for your reply :P I don't like to cause arguing over my topics. I just needed some help. There is one topic regarding Marja that has me a little perplexed. Forgive me if I don't spell it correctly. The term lanat or is it la3na. As far as this example. I hear people do Lanat or is it la3na on Yazeed or Aisha. Some Marja say it is ok to do lanat and some don't agree. I am confused about this entire topic of lanat or cursing. Maybe that should be a new thread option. But, it's one example of why I can't choose a Marja yet, because I don't know if this is ok to do or not. I've read in the Qur'an about Prophet Dawood (pbuh) and Prophet Isa (pbuh) doing this, but I'm not sure if it's something we do, or is it part of the Qur'an that was explaining when they did it. Does it make it ok for us to do it? See, I am confused, haha!! :blush:

You're right that is a whole new topic. It's a tricky topic because Ayatullah Khamenie bans insult to The Prophet (s.w.s) and his wives. This may have been an appropriate decision because people are being killed by heretics in other countries because people curse Sahaba openly but make no mistake, nobody has banned lanaat on Yazeed. A lot of Ayatullahs agree that if doing lanaat will cause harm in the society (eg brawls) it is not permitted. Maybe you can post the specific verses of the Quran you are talking about but remember Bibi Fatema (a.s) and her harsh words towards those who stole her rights whilst Imam Ali (a.s) stayed silent. I think this shows that there is a time and place for all types of lanaat and not that it lanaat is always right or wrong. Therefore choosing an Ayatullah based on his current fatwa on lanaat may not be the wisest thing. Instead choose someone who you trust to make the right decisions in regards to relevant issues that affect you eg lanaat, Hijab, Haraam/Halal Food, khums etc as then if the climate changes, relevant fatwas will be given.

You're right that is a whole new topic. It's a tricky topic because Ayatullah Khamenie bans insult to The Prophet (s.w.s) and his wives. This may have been an appropriate decision because people are being killed by heretics in other countries because people curse Sahaba openly but make no mistake, nobody has banned lanaat on Yazeed. A lot of Ayatullahs agree that if doing lanaat will cause harm in the society (eg brawls) it is not permitted. Maybe you can post the specific verses of the Quran you are talking about but remember Bibi Fatema (a.s) and her harsh words towards those who stole her rights whilst Imam Ali (a.s) stayed silent. I think this shows that there is a time and place for all types of lanaat and not that it lanaat is always right or wrong. Therefore choosing an Ayatullah based on his current fatwa on lanaat may not be the wisest thing. Instead choose someone who you trust to make the right decisions in regards to relevant issues that affect you eg lanaat, Hijab, Haraam/Halal Food, khums etc as then if the climate changes, relevant fatwas will be given.

Didn't the Sayyed only ban the public cursing of the Caliphs + Aisha?

Edited by Naruto

• Advanced Member

Sayed Ali Sistani, Sayed Sadiq al-Shirazi, Sayed Wahid al-khorasani, Sayed Mohammead Sadiq al-Rohani - look into these 4 :) Here are the websites:

http://sistani.org/index.php?lang=eng

http://imamshirazi.com/

http://www.wahidkhor...dex.php?lang=en

http://www.emamrohani.net/

Edited by Labbayk

Do not choose Fadhlullah.

1) He is dead, therefore it's forbidden to start doing taqlid of him.

2) He is a heretic.

Again, can you provide evidence for this?

Sadiq Shirazi, Sistani, and Khorsani are generally considered to be the most knowledgeable (well, until Totem gets butthurt and comes in here screaming YA KHAMENEI). Sistani has a good English site. Perhaps try reading up on him :)

You didn't respond to my last response, yet you have the audacity to call me 'butthurt'. The funny thing is i've never said 'YA KHAMENEI', and I don't even do Taqlid of him. If you had the intelligence to look at my DP and my signature, it would indicate to you that I do Taqlid of Sheikh Muhammad al-Yaqoobi.

Again, who is it that considers Syed Sadiq al-Shirazi to be the most knowledgable? You can't make statements without proof. He's not even considered a Mujtahid by many Mujtahids, let alone the most knowledgeable.

Assalamu Alaikum. I have a quick question. In terms of picking a Marja, what are some key factors to use when deciding on which one to choose? There are so many to choose from, so is there an easier process to help eliminate certain one's? Thank you. Also, if you choose one, and realize he is not what you expected, can you choose another one?

Salaams,

Since most of the responses you've received come from people who know near to nothing about the concepts of Taqlid and Ijtihad, i'd reccomend that you watch this lecture:

Here the Syed explains the qualities that a Marji' requires to be followed.

You'll find that a large percentage of our current 'Maraji' don't actually have these qualities, unfortunately.

Sister, are you able to read Arabic or Farsi? Or do you need a Marji' with good English resources? For example, I follow Sheikh Muhammad al-Yaqoobi, naturally because I believe he is the most knowledgable - but all his resources are in Arabic, so if you can only read English, he's not much help to you. You need to find the most knowledgable that you can access.

Edited by Totem

• Banned

Again, can you provide evidence for this?

Yeah. Go read his books or watch his speeches. If you think that everything he says is perfectly fine, then I would be very very surprised.

You didn't respond to my last response, yet you have the audacity to call me 'butthurt'. The funny thing is i've never said 'YA KHAMENEI', and I don't even do Taqlid of him. If you had the intelligence to look at my DP and my signature, it would indicate to you that I do Taqlid of Sheikh Muhammad al-Yaqoobi.

You're right, I did not respond to your last response. Why would I? You spent 20 minutes ranting because you disagreed with me. Oh look, you did it again below. And I never said you did Taqlid of Khamenei, but you are certainly a huge fan. You mentioned him, in your last response to me, as one of the most knowledgeable. He's not. He's just a political figure. The only reason people follow him is for politics. I don't care who you do taqlid of, honestly.

Again, who is it that considers Syed Sadiq al-Shirazi to be the most knowledgable? You can't make statements without proof. He's not even considered a Mujtahid by many Mujtahids, let alone the most knowledgeable.

Neither is Khamenei or Fadlullah considered a mujtahid by many others, but you don't seem to be saying anything against THEM. Also, why are you attacking only me? Look at two posts above yours (I'll even quote it, so you can't make a mistake about it). That person said basically the same thing I did, but you're not hating on them. Why is that, Mushu? Also, what of Shaykh Yasser al-Habib? You used to like him but not anymore? I'm confused.

Sayed Ali Sistani, Sayed Sadiq al-Shirazi, Sayed Wahid al-khorasani, Sayed Mohammead Sadiq al-Rohani - look into these 4 :) Here are the websites:

http://sistani.org/index.php?lang=eng

http://imamshirazi.com/

http://www.wahidkhor...dex.php?lang=en

http://www.emamrohani.net/

I agree with this.

Yeah. Go read his books or watch his speeches. If you think that everything he says is perfectly fine, then I would be very very surprised.

You're right, I did not respond to your last response. Why would I? You spent 20 minutes ranting because you disagreed with me. Oh look, you did it again below. And I never said you did Taqlid of Khamenei, but you are certainly a huge fan. You mentioned him, in your last response to me, as one of the most knowledgeable. He's not. He's just a political figure. The only reason people follow him is for politics. I don't care who you do taqlid of, honestly.

Neither is Khamenei or Fadlullah considered a mujtahid by many others, but you don't seem to be saying anything against THEM. Also, why are you attacking only me? Look at two posts above yours (I'll even quote it, so you can't make a mistake about it). That person said basically the same thing I did, but you're not hating on them. Why is that, Mushu? Also, what of Shaykh Yasser al-Habib? You used to like him but not anymore? I'm confused.

I agree with this.

Well, I don't really think i'm in a position to say whether or not someone is a Mujtahid, or disagree with a Mujtahid's Islamic views - seeing as i'm not a Mujtahid. So instead, I look at what other Mujtahids say. For instance, Shaheed Syed Muhammad al-Sadr, who said that though he disagrees with some of Syed FadhlAllah's ideas, he still respects him and his views, and says that he is definitely a Mujtahid.

See, I don't label someone as a heretic simply because he has different views to me. That is not Islam.

Actually it took more like 5 minutes. And it wasn't a rant - believe it or not, it's not all that difficult to refute someone who has had no Islamic education.

I wouldn't really describe myself as a huge fan of his, nor do I consider him to be the most knowledgeable - the fact that I don't do Taqlid of him should have been an indicator. I do respect him greatly, because he is a true scholar, whose rulings fall in line with other true scholars. I don't have to agree with everything he does, or all his views.

I'm sure some people follow him because of politics, obviously not all - but besides, that would be the same as me saying that the only reason that people follow Syed Sadiq al-Shirazi is because they want to slice their heads open a few times a year.

Well, the key word here is REPUTABLE. No REPUTABLE Maraji' have said anything against Syed Ali al-Khamanei or Syed Muhammad-Hussain FadhlAllah's Ijtihad. I have yet to see an academic response to Syed Muhammad-Hussain FadhlAllah, other than the one written by Shaheed Syed Muhammad al-Sadr - who considers him a Mujtahid!

I didn't see the other comment, sorry if you feel i'm singling you out.

No, i've never agreed with the views of Yassir al-Habib, you must have me mixed up with someone else.

• Banned

No, i've never agreed with the views of Yassir al-Habib, you must have me mixed up with someone else.

I think it would be best if we discussed the rest of your post in private :)

But this part here, is interesting. Somebody (you know who I am talking about, I hope) said that you were a fan of his. If I'm not specific enough, I'll PM you the person that said that.

I think it would be best if we discussed the rest of your post in private :)

But this part here, is interesting. Somebody (you know who I am talking about, I hope) said that you were a fan of his. If I'm not specific enough, I'll PM you the person that said that.

Sure brother, I have no problem with that.

• Advanced Member

I guess this is something I will have to research a bit more. I've talked to several people today on this topic, and everyone seems to have a different point of view. Some say to follow certain Marja, some say only limit yourself to a certain number to choose from, and other's state that you can choose a Marja who is dead as long as they have appointed someone, and other's also refute this...So, it seems I have some serious digging to do. Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. It seems that this topic made some people react in a bad manner. The intention of this Forum was for me to learn how to choose a Marja. I will make my own decision on who I think is the most Knowledgeable. My question was how to do go about eliminating certain Alim's? Are there particular thing's I should be looking for in a Marja? That way I know he is more knowledgeable. It's very confusing. The video that Totum gave me from Haydari I will watch, maybe that will help :) Thank you to everyone who had positive feedback.

Assalamu Alaikum, and May Allah subhanu wa taa'la increase our knowledge, Insha'Allah.

• Advanced Member

I've spoken with a few Shi3a, and they said you can choose a Marja that is dead, as long as he appointed someone. What is your opinion about this? Many people follow Fadlullah for example, and he is not alive, but before he died, he chose someone to carry his work. What is your opinion about this? I also spoke with someone else and they follow Khomeini but they said many people follow Marja who are not alive if they appointed someone. I'm trying to get clarity on this. Thanks

A couple of reasons. Some people on this forum are just weird. Some are Sunni ass-kissers. Some just disagree with some of his teachings.

You made me laugh :P but what does Sunni have to do with picking a Marja? LOL