In the Name of God بسم الله

Marijuana And Praying?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam alakum brothers and sisters :-)

Again I will start by saying that i Live in Denmark, so you all will understand the context.

Today at school me and my friend which is from palestine, had an argument.

We all know that when you drink alcohol, your prayers wont be accepted for 40 days. He told me that it DOESNT count for marijuana/weed/hash. Which i disagree because we had studies that shows, marijuana stays in your blood for 30-40 days.

Can you help me win this argument, and please some references/sources would be great :)

Salam.

• Veteran Member

Salam alakum brothers and sisters :-)

Again I will start by saying that i Live in Denmark, so you all will understand the context.

Today at school me and my friend which is from palestine, had an argument.

We all know that when you drink alcohol, your prayers wont be accepted for 40 days. He told me that it DOESNT count for marijuana/weed/hash. Which i disagree because we had studies that shows, marijuana stays in your blood for 30-40 days.

Can you help me win this argument, and please some references/sources would be great :)

Salam.

anything that disconnects your brain physically or spiritually, is not good in islam, especially in payer when your trying to connect with Allah.

• Advanced Member

^Denmark does not legally prohibit the recreational use of marijuana unlike many other countries.

Op, I'm unclear whether your friend is Shia so I am not focuisng on hadith by Shia compilers or fatwas by mara'je.

Hadith - Muslim #4963, Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar ranhu.gif

Allah's Messenger saaws-long.gifsaid: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant is forbidden. He who drinks wine in this world and dies while he is addicted to it, not having repented, will not be given a drink in the Hereafter.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ma'idah 5:91

Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât . So, will you not then abstain?

EDIT: You were asking specifically about prayer, As-Salat means prayer.

Edited by *Sayyeda*

• Advanced Member

Do you ever say salam osama?

Btw i mentioned Denmark, cause its actuelly very normal to smoke that stuff here lol :)

Sayyeda:

Thank you so, if he smokes after reading this, he cant pray forever?

Btw thank you very much for showing me!

• Advanced Member

Why hve you referenced this hadith? Is not even hujjah on us.

Allah's Messenger saaws-long.gifsaid: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant is forbidden. He who drinks wine in this world and dies while he is addicted to it, not having repented, will not be given a drink in the Hereafter

P.s. im not disagreeing with it

• Advanced Member

This is a message board, saying Salam does not always seems appropriate given the nature of message boards. Half the users in this thread didn't say salam. *Sayyeda* didn't say salam either so I don't know why you didn't find that appalling.

So what if it is a message board, does that mean, being polite is bad??

But lets get back to the topic...

So smoking is also like drinking with the 40 days of praying?

• Advanced Member

This is a message board, saying Salam does not always seems appropriate given the nature of message boards. Half the users in this thread didn't say salam. *Sayyeda* didn't say salam either so I don't know why you didn't find that appalling.

Firstly, I did not mean to show disrespect by not offering Salaams. As all the posts before me did not convey Salaams I did not realize the OP had. Please accept my Salaam now.

What is your meaning by saying it is not hujjah on us? As I highlighted in the first post, I am unclear of the beliefs of this friend so I am using general hadith and ayahs from the Holy Quran as opposed to fatwas.

For Shia's obviously this is the reason for Taqleed, so we can refer directly to our Maraj'e, 352 from A Code of Practice For Muslims in the West By Ayatullah Sistani explicitly states: By considering the serious harm of narcotic drugs, it is forbidden to use them due to the great damage they cause. Based on obligatory precaution, it is compulsory to refrain from using them in any way [even if there is no harm], except for medical purposes and the like; in the latter case, it can be used only to the extent of need. And Allãh knows the best.

Sayyeda:

Thank you for the kind words. It is not that he cannot pray forever as much as Shaitaan will be able to hinder him (prevent him) from having his prayers accepted and from reaching closeness with Allah through Salah. In the future when one craves that guidance, they will cease to find it because of the partition created between oneself and their Lord due to past unlawful actions.

Inshallah your friend will accept the truth.

• Veteran Member

Unless you can bring forward a hadith to back up your claim, I would say your friend is correct, here is one narration about it, it has nothing to do with general intoxicants.

From al-Khisal:

THE PRAYER OF THE DRUNKEN IS NOT ACCEPTED FOR FORTY DAYS

22-1 Muhammad ibn al-Hassan ibn al-Walid - may God be pleased with him - narrated that Muhammad ibn al-Hassan al-Saffar quoted Muawiyah ibn Hakim, on the authority of Muhammad ibn Abi Umayr, on the authority of Aban ibn Uthman, on the authority of Al-Fuzayl ibn Yasar that he had heard Aba Ja’far al-Baqir (MGB) say, “The prayers of whoever drinks wine would not be accepted for forty days. If he doesn’t say his prayers during these forty days, he will suffer an extra chastisement for not saying his prayers.

In another tradition we read, “The prayers of whoever drinks would be wandering between the heavens and the Earth. They are ascribed to him once he repents.”

Edited by Ali_Hussain

So what if it is a message board, does that mean, being polite is bad??

YOU'RE the one who's being impolite by singling me out and making a big deal out of not saying salam in the middle of a topic. Why is it that not a single person said salam in this thread, but you posted "Do you ever say salam osama?" Think about it and get back to me.

First post:

anything that disconnects your brain physically or spiritually, is not good in islam, especially in payer when your trying to connect with Allah.

Salam? Nope.

Your response:

I know but i'm sure that he dont smoke then prays :) i hope not so...

Second and third responses:

What does being from Denmark have to do with anything? lol

Salam? Nope.

^Denmark does not legally prohibit the recreational use of marijuana unlike many other countries.

Op, I'm unclear whether your friend is Shia so I am not focuisng on hadith by Shia compilers or fatwas by mara'je.

Allah's Messenger saaws-long.gifsaid: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant is forbidden. He who drinks wine in this world and dies while he is addicted to it, not having repented, will not be given a drink in the Hereafter.

The Noble Qur'an - Al-Ma'idah 5:91

Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât . So, will you not then abstain?

EDIT: You were asking specifically about prayer, As-Salat means prayer.

Salam? Nope.

Your response to my post:

"ZOMG WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SALAM?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Your response to Sayyeda's post:

Fourth response:

Allah's Messenger saaws-long.gifsaid: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant is forbidden. He who drinks wine in this world and dies while he is addicted to it, not having repented, will not be given a drink in the Hereafter

Salam? Nope.

Your response:

N/A

Fifth response:

All intoxicants are haram, except when used for medical reasons. Don't know about if all void prayers for 40 days though.

Salam? Nope.

Your reponse:

N/A

Last response:

Unless you can bring forward a hadith to back up your claim, I would say your friend is correct, here is one narration about it, it has nothing to do with general intoxicants.

From al-Khisal:

Salam? Nope.

Your response:

N/A

Not a single user in this thread said salam, but you chose to single ME out. YOU are the one who is rude.

• Advanced Member

Boy that escalated quickly O.o

But to complete my question, does it referee anywhere that when the person isnt under the toxic (drud) can pray? Or is it like alcohol, if you drink it, and wake up next day and go to shower you STILL cant pray before the 40 days have passed.

Thank you

SALAM!

• Moderators

Salam,

I live in the U.S. Almost everyone here either drinks alcohol, smokes weed, does cocaine, or pops pills. It doesn't change the fact that it is haram.

If you know it is haram and have the ability not to do it (everyone has that ability, btw) then you will be accountable before Allah(s.w.a).

As for your original question, 40 days prayers will not be accepted, I believe that was answered by the hadith that 'all intoxicants are khimr (wine))'

Weed is an intoxicant (it gets you high), therefore the same rules that apply to khimr would apply to it.

The only part of khimr that may not apply is it being najis, because it is a dried plant rather than a liquid.

Edited by Abu Hadi

Thank you for your answer :)

So i won the discussion? If he smokes hes prayers wont be accepted for 40 days right?

correct....but don't expect him to believe you

more than likely he will justify his actions and try to make himself a special case....this is what all drug users do

• Advanced Member

In the west its more normal for them, that youth smokes and drinks.

What i meen by this, is that their culture is much different than ours (middle eastern)

Yea, in Canada here, gettin' weed and drinks is child's play, so easily accessible, everyone does it, it's no excuse.

Tell you friend to stop it, he is a Muslim, not a freakin' Rastafarian.

Salam,

I live in the U.S. Almost everyone here either drinks alcohol, smokes weed, does cocaine, or pops pills. It doesn't change the fact that it is haram.

If you know it is haram and have the ability not to do it (everyone has that ability, btw) then you will be accountable before Allah(s.w.a).

As for your original question, 40 days prayers will not be accepted, I believe that was answered by the hadith that 'all intoxicants are khimr (wine))'

Weed is an intoxicant (it gets you high), therefore the same rules that apply to khimr would apply to it.

The only part of khimr that may not apply is it being najis, because it is a dried plant rather than a liquid.

Similar question,

Eating Haraam meat (Chicken; Beef) has the same punishment, no acts of worship will be accepted for 40 days, is that because they are considered as khimr (wine), or forbidden foods?

• Advanced Member

Wsalam,

I would assume that the 40 day thing applies to all types of intoxicants as it applies to eating haram food too so surely taking drugs is no exception? Also at the end of the day after smoking marijuana the state your in is as good as being drunk in my opinion. But never the less the issue here shouldn't be that if prayers are accepted for 40 days or not. If I'm not mistaken marijuana is haram therefore why would you do it in the first place even if it means you will ONLY miss out one days worth of prayers before you've come to your senses again.

The Prophet (SAWW) said: "The prayers of whoever eats one bite of a forbidden meal shall not be accepted for forty nights and his calls and supplications shall not be recognized for forty days. Flesh grown from a forbidden meal deserves to be burnt in Fire." -Safinat ul-Bihar, v.1, p.24

[Pickthal 4:43] O ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when ye are drunken, till ye know that which ye utter, nor when ye are polluted, save when journeying upon the road, till ye have bathed. And if ye be ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have touched women, and ye find not water, then go to high clean soil and rub your faces and your hands (therewith). Lo! Allah is Benign, Forgiving.

[Shakir 4:43] O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say, nor when you are under an obligation to perform a bath-- unless (you are) travelling on the road-- until you have washed yourselves; and if you are sick, or on a journey, or one of you come from the privy or you have touched the women, and you cannot find water, betake yourselves to pure earth, then wipe your faces and your hands; surely Allah is Pardoning, Forgiving.

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَقْرَبُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَأَنْتُمْ سُكَارَىٰ حَتَّىٰ تَعْلَمُوا مَا تَقُولُونَ وَلَا جُنُبًا إِلَّا عَابِرِي سَبِيلٍ حَتَّىٰ تَغْتَسِلُوا ۚ وَإِنْ كُنْتُمْ مَرْضَىٰ أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ أَوْ جَاءَ أَحَدٌ مِنْكُمْ مِنَ الْغَائِطِ أَوْ لَامَسْتُمُ النِّسَاءَ فَلَمْ تَجِدُوا مَاءً فَتَيَمَّمُوا صَعِيدًا طَيِّبًا فَامْسَحُوا بِوُجُوهِكُمْ وَأَيْدِيكُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَفُوًّا غَفُورًا

Edited by Dawud1UK

• Advanced Member

The law says that if u drink Alcohol, ur prayers will not be accepted for 40 dayz ....but if u pray on a Turba from Karbala'a ... it would be the same for cannabis.

I askes a kid which father was a scholar and he Said that he never heard about the 40 Day rule :o??

IM confused... I Wrote an email to sistani lenghten hus life.

Waiting for respond

• Basic Members

What does being from Denmark have to do with anything? lol

in denmark it is ''legal'' to smoke technically not but nobody cares /// a guy from sweden

Thank you for your answer :)

So i won the discussion? If he smokes hes prayers wont be accepted for 40 days right?

how did you do this... because i've heard it goes out of your system in a few days depending on how much you drink c-vitamns and water(was a smoker) Edited by Naz_

• Basic Members

But that doesnt conclude that the 40 day rule is also among shia islamic laws?

The problem is, I've been checking it on Sistanis website but cant find anything about it :S

Well my discussion was won so..

as far as I know there is no dalil that says ones prayer can't be accepted withing 40 days

• Basic Members

I know about the 40 day rule but that only applies to alcohol not weed so What now you cant pray för 40 days if you've taken morphine(classified as "narcotic" medicin in Sweden) probably in DK too.... Or even coffe (affects your brain too dosen't) im not saying go light One up and pray im just saying 40 Days for a plant(from Allah ofcourse) is a bit too much

• 2 years later...
  • Basic Members

Salaam brothers and sisters some people would argue that they feel more spiritually enlightened when having smoked cannabis and that because of smoking they think about religion more and have better veiws towards religion

My question is are they wrong for thinking in such a way ?