Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
MrsBasaran

[Locked]Who Is Your Marja And Why?

Rate this topic

Syed Sistani (ra) - for many of the reasons listed by brother Ali.

1) There are the "big 6" Shia marji'. Other scholars agree that these 6 are the most knowledgeable. They are Syed Sistani, Sheikh Khorsani, Syed Shirazi, Syed Hakeem, Syed Rohani, and Syed Qommi. I do believe that Khorsani and Shirazi are both more knowledgeable than Syed Sistani, however . . .

2) English is my first language. Followed by German. Sistani has a good English website.

Salam :)

Well, your obligation (for the time being) as a Shiite Muslim, is to follow who is considered "Most Knowledgeable", and of course this doesn't rely on who you personally think is most knowledgeable, it's depending on the agreement of "Ahlul Khibra", The People of Knowledge.

Keep in mind:

Never follow a marjaa' because you think he's "easy" or "not as strict".

Personally, I follow Ayatollah Sayed Ali Sistani.

Godbless ^.^

Edited by -Fatima-

i follow Ayatollah Ali khamenei. The people who brought me to shiism followed him and I asked this ayatollah some questions on the rulings of things so i just stuck with him. I do like him better than Ayatollah Sistani, but I actually have some lectures on taqleed i need to watch so i can properly choose a marja lol :P So i suppose im in a similar situation lol

Grand Ayatollah al-Uzma seyyid Ali al-Sistani

May Allah grant him a long life and to all our ulamas'

*-----------

Should a baligh person choose his maraje' on the basis that his parents follow him or is it wajib for him to decide and research etc?

Oh so it's true that majority of world Shias follow sistani anywayz even I follow sistani sahab only because his rulings are easily accessible in the form of Internet as well as tauzil

I follow Sayyed Kamal Al-Haydari (ra), mainly because he is a very active marja'.

According to that Mujtahid, you can follow as many mujtahids as you like who are alim/knowledgeable. So following him is like following them all.

So i follow him!

Ayahtollah Sistani for me mainly because most of my local sheikhs and Imams follow him and he has less political affiliation than anyone else. With that said, I try to come up with answers myself either by researching or asking my local Shia sheikhs or Imams. I like Ayahtollah Khorasani too I watch him a lot on youtube. I don't know much about others.

I do not blindly follow one fallible man. A paradox of telling me Taqleed should only be of one Ayatullah is : Sayed Kamal al-Haydary saying i can folow as many alim/knowledgeable mujtahids i like.

Alhamdulillah.

I've actually never heard that... I just recently found out Sayed Kamal Al-Haydari declared his marja'iah, recently as in yesterday :huh:

Personally following Ayatollah Sistani, I back my self up with other maraje', only in case of precaution. I.e. if he says something is permissible, but for example Sayed Khoei, even though he has passed away, doesn't allow it, I don't do it out of precaution, not out of taqleed.

Sayed Kamal says:

"يجب على المكلّف أن يقلّد الأعلم، والأقدر، والأكفأ"

The Mukallaf (the one doing taqleed and has reached the age of buloogh) must follow the most knowledgeable, Al-Aalam, the most capable and the most efficient.

One who is most knowledgeable is determined by Ahlul Khibra (The People of Knowledge).

He (Sayed Kamal) states:

أهل الخبرة بالمفهوم الذي نختاره في تفسير الأعلمية هم العلماء والفضلاء الذين يمتلكون دراية شمولية ونظرة تصديقية لعموم المعارف الدينية؛ أما من تقتصر نظرتهم ومعرفتهم على جانب واحد من المعارف فلا يحقّ لهم إبداء رأي في هذا المجال

Ahlul Khibra that we comprehend to be those who explain aalamiya(Most Knowledgeable-ity) are the ulama that have a comprehensive familiarity and a credible perspective on all religious knowledge. However those whose perspective and knowledge is to one side (limited) of the (religious) knowledge, they have no right to demonstrate their perspective in this field.

Of course no argument or disrespect is intended ^.^

Syed Sistani (ra) - for many of the reasons listed by brother Ali.

1) There are the "big 6" Shia marji'. Other scholars agree that these 6 are the most knowledgeable. They are Syed Sistani, Sheikh Khorsani, Syed Shirazi, Syed Hakeem, Syed Rohani, and Syed Qommi. I do believe that Khorsani and Shirazi are both more knowledgeable than Syed Sistani, however . . .

2) English is my first language. Followed by German. Sistani has a good English website.

Where did you get this list of the 'big 6' from? Who decides who is a member of 'the big 6'? Which 'other scholars' are these? On what grounds do you 'believe' that Sheikh Waheed al-Khorasani and Syed Sadiq al-Shirazi are more knowledgable than Syed Ali al-Sistani?

These are questions you need to think about before making posts such as these. There is no such thing as 'the big 6'. Syed Sadeq al-Rohani isn't even widely known, and no one has heard of him in most of the Shia world. Sheikh Waheed al-Khorasani is slightly better known, but has no following in Iraq whatsoever. I've never even heard of a Syed Qommi. Since when do we decide who the most knowledgable is simply because a few speakers in the West push their name, or even worse, a few ShiaChatters?

There is no commitee that decides together on a list of who the most knowledgable Maraji' are. The Ahl al-Khibra are students at the Bahth al-Khaarij level, who have studied under more than one Marji' - usually several. Each of these students will promote the Marji' he is affiliated with.

You can't say that 'you believe...'. Do YOU have the required level of knowledge to give the opinion that Sheikh Waheed and Syed Sadiq are more knowledgable than Syed Ali?

Why have you completely ignored the existence of Syed Ali al-Khamenei? Despite the fact that many Ahl al-Khibra scholars consider him to be the most knowledgable, and many Mujtahids have aligned with him and support him? Not to mention the fact that he has millions of followers worldwide.

What about Sheikh Ishaaq al-Fayyadh? Considered by MANY to be the heavyweight in the Hawza of Najaf at the moment, and considered by many to be more knowledgable than Syed Ali al-Sistani.

What about Sheikh Muhammad al-Yaqoobi? The second most widely followed Iraqi Marji', with millions of followers, and with many eminent scholars supporting his A'lamia? He is the continuation of the Sadri line, and considered by many of Ahl al-Khibra to be the most knowledgable.

What about Syed Muhammad-Taqi al-Modarresi, who is famous for his Tafsir of the Qur'an, and has his lessons in Karbala attended by scholars from all over Iraq?

What about Sheikh Nassir Makarem Shirazi? Syed Mahmoud al-Hashemi?

And there are so many others.

Edited by Totem

I follow Ayatollah Sistani (HA) because I have a relative who was in hawza for some time and who told me that Sistani of one of the most three knowledgable (I forgot the names of the two others and they are not very accessible).

(bismillah)

(salam)

Sayyid Ali Khamenei HA. May Allah SWT bless our scholars, from talaba (student) to Shaykh, Ustadh, Hujjatul Islam, Allama and Ayatullah. Those who spend their lives for Islam are truly loved and blessed.

Sorry I misread the thread question (I read who is your favourite Maraja), I follow Sayyed al-Seetani [hA] because, firstly, he is very thorough in his Fatawa, secondly, his representatives are literally everywhere thus it is easy to follow him, thirdly, his information is readily available and easy to access.

Ayahtollah Sistani (ha)

1) I was introduced to Shia Islam by a follower of Sistani

2) he has the most accessible resources available out of all Maria's in the English language

3) I believe he is the most knowledgable

I've actually never heard that... I just recently found out Sayed Kamal Al-Haydari declared his marja'iah, recently as in yesterday :huh:

Personally following Ayatollah Sistani, I back my self up with other maraje', only in case of precaution. I.e. if he says something is permissible, but for example Sayed Khoei, even though he has passed away, doesn't allow it, I don't do it out of precaution, not out of taqleed.

Sayed Kamal says:

"يجب على المكلّف أن يقلّد الأعلم، والأقدر، والأكفأ"

The Mukallaf (the one doing taqleed and has reached the age of buloogh) must follow the most knowledgeable, Al-Aalam, the most capable and the most efficient.

One who is most knowledgeable is determined by Ahlul Khibra (The People of Knowledge).

He (Sayed Kamal) states:

أهل الخبرة بالمفهوم الذي نختاره في تفسير الأعلمية هم العلماء والفضلاء الذين يمتلكون دراية شمولية ونظرة تصديقية لعموم المعارف الدينية؛ أما من تقتصر نظرتهم ومعرفتهم على جانب واحد من المعارف فلا يحقّ لهم إبداء رأي في هذا المجال

Ahlul Khibra that we comprehend to be those who explain aalamiya(Most Knowledgeable-ity) are the ulama that have a comprehensive familiarity and a credible perspective on all religious knowledge. However those whose perspective and knowledge is to one side (limited) of the (religious) knowledge, they have no right to demonstrate their perspective in this field.

Of course no argument or disrespect is intended ^.^

Well, he is apparently extremely knowledgeable. Either way, by doing his Taqleed i am allowed to do the taqleed of not just one fallible man, but a great consensus of them.

So Sistani, Khamamanei, ect. I can get a broader set of views and see arguments for my self.

Well, he is apparently extremely knowledgeable. Either way, by doing his Taqleed i am allowed to do the taqleed of not just one fallible man, but a great consensus of them.

So Sistani, Khamamanei, ect. I can get a broader set of views and see arguments for my self.

Well in the end, it is a choice of your own that you alone will be accounted for ^.^ I'm sure he is very knowledgeable, or else his marjaaiya wouldn't be declared hehe ^.^

God bless :)

You can also study Islam and become a mujtahid (there's even a hawza online).

How would you judge which argument is the most valid?

Lol. Most of us do not even know indepth islamic knowledge. Might i ask, how do any of us judge who is the most knowledgeable? They all need to pass a certain hurdle to be an ayatullah.

Personally it's all politics, rather than who actually is the most knowledge able.

I am following an ayatullah who very recently was granted the status. He lets me choose the teachings of any ayatullah.

Why you guys restrict your whole lives to one fallible mans interpretation of islam , it defeats me. If an ayatullah says something is permissible, he needs to have a pretty good reason for it. So i will choose based on which ayatullahs fatwa's make the most sense to me personally.

If X ayatullah (khamenei) says chess is halal, then he needs to have a good reason to do so.So it doesnt matter even if i cherry pick. If an ayatullah says it's halal, he needs to have a good reason.

However, i will do what i have longed to do for so long and have done anyway: follow them all.

Technically i am doing something perfectly halal (before someone attacks me).

:) I can't control your lives, but i feel liberated knowing chess is allowed by khamanei, it is no longer a wide spread gambling tool ect

That some music is allowed by some ayatullahs.

Totally awsome.

Btw ImAli, you sound like looney toons, except more serious lol

I think you'll be safe from haters, they're biding their time waiting for someone whose in the taqleed of Sayed Fadhlulah.

And look who posted right after you LOL

(salam)

(bismillah)

Seriously?! Do you actually believe that al-Khamenei is the most knowledgeable? I never heard of someone picking al-Khamenei because he is supposedly the most knowledgeable. First time for everything, I guess.

(salam)

On what basis would you say he is not he most knowledgeable? Knowledge isn't only about how many books you read, but how much of what you read you actually understand. Knowledge in a marja must also be combined with social awareness and be updated with all social, economical, technological, philosophical issues as well. How are you going to give a fatwah about a new form of economy, trade, technology if you have no clue about it?

Many of our great scholars(may Allah bless them all) are unfortunately still stuck in 1970's.

I think you'll be safe from haters, they're biding their time waiting for someone whose in the taqleed of Sayed Fadhlulah.

I used to do taqleed of him. I think I was a batri. :P

Lol. Most of us do not even know indepth islamic knowledge. Might i ask, how do any of us judge who is the most knowledgeable? They all need to pass a certain hurdle to be an ayatullah.

Personally it's all politics, rather than who actually is the most knowledge able.

I am following an ayatullah who very recently was granted the status. He lets me choose the teachings of any ayatullah.

Why you guys restrict your whole lives to one fallible mans interpretation of islam , it defeats me. If an ayatullah says something is permissible, he needs to have a pretty good reason for it. So i will choose based on which ayatullahs fatwa's make the most sense to me personally.

If X ayatullah (khamenei) says chess is halal, then he needs to have a good reason to do so.So it doesnt matter even if i cherry pick. If an ayatullah says it's halal, he needs to have a good reason.

However, i will do what i have longed to do for so long and have done anyway: follow them all.

Technically i am doing something perfectly halal (before someone attacks me).

:) I can't control your lives, but i feel liberated knowing chess is allowed by khamanei, it is no longer a wide spread gambling tool ect

That some music is allowed by some ayatullahs.

Totally awsome.

Btw ImAli, you sound like looney toons, except more serious lol

But the thing is, mots of the time you don't know which ruling makes the most sense because to lack the necessary backround knowledge about it.

Edited by Robin Hood

(salam)

(bismillah)

Seriously?! Do you actually believe that al-Khamenei is the most knowledgeable? I never heard of someone picking al-Khamenei because he is supposedly the most knowledgeable. First time for everything, I guess.

(salam)

Are you trying to make a fool out of no one but yourself in here?

Get out of here lil boy